Coronavirus

I would have said what they're worth, but that can be a bit contentious some time.  But wealth seems to show in their cars!  Not always, but often. 

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

1 hour ago, truck said:

Issuing fines has no impact on those that can afford to pay and always impacts those most that can’t afford it. What next, will he say they will forcibly inject those that refuse??  Don’t get me wrong, I’m a strong supporter of vaccines but it has to be an individual choice that you manage through a no jab no play policy that’s legally enforceable. We already know that kids under 18, pregnant and breastfeeding women and immuno compromised people are likely to be excluded so there’s a group that needs to be protected and justifies the no jab no play policy. 

I believe our legislation allows for that 

Pete sent me a copy a few months back

1 hour ago, truck said:

Issuing fines has no impact on those that can afford to pay and always impacts those most that can’t afford it. What next, will he say they will forcibly inject those that refuse?? 

New fine or new tax.  The first and only solution the majority of governments these days seem to have to any problem.

Road Tax on Electric Vehicles is a perfect example.  But thats a rant for another topic.

14 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Road Tax on Electric Vehicles is a perfect example.  But thats a rant for another topic.

😄$40BN hole in excise duty coming up as we switch across to EV's .  But yes another topic!

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I would have said what they're worth, but that can be a bit contentious some time.  But wealth seems to show in their cars!  Not always, but often. 

I often eat baked beans on toast and don't eat out to help fund my car addiction. Nice cars doesn't always equal wealth!

9 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

If my wealth to be judged on my car then I'm living in absolute poverty.   

And other people spend all their money (plus some) on cars 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Its because like their bikinis, their masks don't provide enough coverage.  

I think a penny just dropped. Forgive me if everyone except me has already figured this out.......

So, is this why it is referred to as a brazillian wax? Because you have to take it all off to allow for the brazilian bikini? 

• Haha 3
52 minutes ago, Katz said:

I think a penny just dropped. Forgive me if everyone except me has already figured this out.......

So, is this why it is referred to as a brazillian wax? Because you have to take it all off to allow for the brazilian bikini? 

Who said you don't learn anything useful on Trannys any more? 

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, Peter said:

Now exactly what tourism operators want to read. 

Neither did I. Our wedding is planned for June, my family is coming up from Victoria. We also have our honeymoon planned for Tasmania. Might start looking at the last days I can make any cancellations on any of it.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Now exactly what tourism operators want to read.

I know this is a triathlon forum....and I'm in the wrong place to discuss triathlon :lol:, but..................

The prospect of Port holding the IM/HIM on 02/05/21 is probably a 50/50 bet at this stage with only a bit over 15 weeks to go till Race day.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I know this is a triathlon forum....and I'm in the wrong place to discuss triathlon :lol:, but..................

The prospect of Port holding the IM/HIM on 02/05/21 is probably a 50/50 bet at this stage with only a bit over 15 weeks to go till Race day.

I wouldn’t be entering a race in another state any time soon. Even within a state, the snap 3 day lockdown for Brisbane Friday morning scuppered my first race for more than 13 months that was scheduled for that weekend (a local trail race). No big deal and has been rearranged but IM is a completely different commitment and cost. The other big change in the last 2-3 weeks is all this retrospective quarantine so once you travel you’re at immediate risk of being locked out from returning. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, truck said:

Can you imagine how it must feel when you’ve done 14 days HQ to then be told you’ve got to do another 14 days because you’ve somehow caught CV19 in the hotel? All on the same floor so can’t be a coincidence- aircon by any chance?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/13054284

I bet AP "makes no apologies"

26 minutes ago, truck said:

I wouldn’t be entering a race in another state any time soon. 

Got to agree with you there. Unfortunately, this is "re-run" of the "re-run" Race from  May,2020 that was also cancelled in September. 

Glad I haven't been training solid from 18mths trying to peak for a race that may never happen.

18 minutes ago, Prince said:

I bet AP "makes no apologies"

She did hint on the TV just now that there must be a better way - which there s as per my earlier comment. Get it out of the cities!

but yep she’s holding the line 😄

40 minutes ago, truck said:

Can you imagine how it must feel when you’ve done 14 days HQ to then be told you’ve got to do another 14 days because you’ve somehow caught CV19 in the hotel? All on the same floor so can’t be a coincidence- aircon by any chance?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/13054284

Or, in some cases, told you have to do another 14 days because someone else  in the hotel caught it? 

15 minutes ago, Turts said:

Or, in some cases, told you have to do another 14 days because someone else  in the hotel caught it? 

I’d be demanding the world if I had to do another 14 days. 

a suite. Better food or free Uber eats account for the next 14 days. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, Prince said:

so why is the virus spiking so much overseas since September?, whilst since Sept ours have flattened.?

Northern winter, culturally everyone gets together inside in pubs etc providing great transmission opportunities. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dalai said:

I often eat baked beans on toast and don't eat out to help fund my car addiction. Nice cars doesn't always equal wealth!

In the UK, PCP has made the car you drive an absolute inverse barometer of your wealth.  I have a 16yr old POS Renault Scenic on my drive.

I'd rather have everyone think I'm broke. (keeps the burglars away as well 👍 )

• Like 1
3 hours ago, truck said:

Northern winter, culturally everyone gets together inside in pubs etc providing great transmission opportunities. 

Most of the pubs have been shut for a lot of the time, so it can't be that.  I'd say supermarkets and shopping centres more likely.  Pubs are only allowed to serve meals, even when they were open.

Even pre virus, i don't know a single person that goes to the pub regularly. Very few can afford it!

9 minutes ago, truck said:

$50,000 fine now in WA for not wearing a mask in and around airports. Good luck with that. 

Where they haven’t had a case in 9 months.  Hmm. 

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

In the UK, PCP has made the car you drive an absolute inverse barometer of your wealth.  I have a 16yr old POS Renault Scenic on my drive.

Inverse barometer of your debt level would be more realistic for most people these days

• Like 1
8 hours ago, FatPom said:

The good cars only come out from under their cover and garage when taken for a drive. Once back they are washed immediately and hidden away. All are purchased once I have saved up my pennies. Dislike debt so no loans for any of them, hence being frugal!

Prices for classic cars have skyrocketed last year. With people not being able to travel due to Covid, they have been buying toys instead pushing the prices up!

My daily is a 17 year old Forester XT that looks like a golf ball after last year's hailstorm! Thieves so far have broken into a couple of other houses in my street over the years and left me alone.

Edited by Dalai
  • Like 1

FINALLY! Must have been reading on here....

Mining camps to be investigated as alternative to quarantine hotels in Queensland

Tom Burton

Queensland has confirmed it is looking at regional mining camps for quarantine, the Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has told media

“We are going to look at all options and one of those options is to look at some of the mining camps that we have in Queensland. Now, for a start, some of these mining camps are four-star.

“They are of a very good quality high standard. My understanding is some of them have - most of them - the ones we’re looking at have balconies, so there’s a lot of fresh air for guests and also, too, there’s the capacity for all of the staff and the cleaners and everyone to also be based on those sites as well.

“Now, I’m going to put this forward as an option to the Federal Government and I also - and we’ll be having those discussions, so we’ll look forward to those discussions over the next few days.

Ms Palaszczuk said she would raise it for discussion at National Cabinet Friday week.

“I hope the AHPPC advice will also go to National Cabinet.

“It’s a matter for states and territories, but I think with this new strain, we have to put all options on the table and these are sensible, rational options.

“The Howard Springs works very well in the Northern Territory and there’s no reason why we couldn’t do something similar here in Queensland or if not around the country.

“But, of course, that’s a matter for other jurisdictions.

“We are looking at those options, we are looking at alternative plans to hotel quarantine that is based, you know, right in the midst of CBD where you have a whole lot of staff that come in from all around and you have airports - people flying in and out of airports.

“I think this is a rational option and if we are dealing with a strain which is up to 70 per cent more infectious, I think we need to be really serious about it.

“It’s something I think we need to give very, very careful consideration. So I have asked Dr Young and the Health Minister and the Commissioner and her team to go and look at some options for Government to consider.

5 minutes ago, truck said:

Mining camps to be investigated as alternative to quarantine hotels in Queensland

Tom Burton

Queensland has confirmed it is looking at regional mining camps for quarantine, the Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has told media

“We are going to look at all options and one of those options is to look at some of the mining camps that we have in Queensland. Now, for a start, some of these mining camps are four-star.

“They are of a very good quality high standard. My understanding is some of them have - most of them - the ones we’re looking at have balconies, so there’s a lot of fresh air for guests and also, too, there’s the capacity for all of the staff and the cleaners and everyone to also be based on those sites as well.

“Now, I’m going to put this forward as an option to the Federal Government and I also - and we’ll be having those discussions, so we’ll look forward to those discussions over the next few days.

Ms Palaszczuk said she would raise it for discussion at National Cabinet Friday week.

“I hope the AHPPC advice will also go to National Cabinet.

“It’s a matter for states and territories, but I think with this new strain, we have to put all options on the table and these are sensible, rational options.

“The Howard Springs works very well in the Northern Territory and there’s no reason why we couldn’t do something similar here in Queensland or if not around the country.

“But, of course, that’s a matter for other jurisdictions.

“We are looking at those options, we are looking at alternative plans to hotel quarantine that is based, you know, right in the midst of CBD where you have a whole lot of staff that come in from all around and you have airports - people flying in and out of airports.

“I think this is a rational option and if we are dealing with a strain which is up to 70 per cent more infectious, I think we need to be really serious about it.

“It’s something I think we need to give very, very careful consideration. So I have asked Dr Young and the Health Minister and the Commissioner and her team to go and look at some options for Government to consider.

Quite frankly, if i was asked to go to a mining camp to quarantine, i would make a run for it. 

54 minutes ago, Prince said:

Quite frankly, if i was asked to go to a mining camp to quarantine, i would make a run for it. 

And you think the Grand Chancellor in Spring Hill is a better place to go??  Used to work around the corner from there and although it got a new coat of paint it's no spring chicken....

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Katz said:

And we'd like to keep it that way? 

You do know there will be Covid cases around in 4 years time.  Is mark going to keep you shut down until there are no cases in the world?

1 hour ago, Prince said:

I think people desperate to come back to australia would go to Dubbo.   

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think people desperate to come back to australia would go to Dubbo.  

Caravan park there is a ready made detention center.  Already has razer wire around parts of the perimeter

• Haha 2

That's nothing, see the US has postponed two men's execution as they are suffering Covid, so they want to wait till they recover.........then kill them !!! 

Johnson and Higgs each tested positive for COVID-19 in December; on Jan. 12 a federal court ruled that executing the men while they are still recovering from the virus violates their constitutional protections against cruel and unusual punishment, delaying their executions until March.  The court ruled that the men demonstrated that COVID-19 had caused them “significant lung damage such that they will experience the effects of flash pulmonary edema… before the [lethal injection drug] has the opportunity to reach the brain,” which would create a “sensation of drowning akin to waterboarding.”

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, truck said:

Tom Burton

How would the Gov get them there?  Aren't they in remote areas?

12 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Yeah that’s what NSW is saying. The risk of the logistics outweighs any possible advantage, plus any people that develop complications will be too far from appropriate hospital care. 

23 minutes ago, FatPom said:

9 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah that’s what NSW is saying. The risk of the logistics outweighs any possible advantage, plus any people that develop complications will be too far from appropriate hospital care. 

In NSW the Hunter, Narrabri.  I wouldn't call those 'remote'.  Neither does the govt.

2141760638_Remotemap.png.930748743d90a1b3cf1faa7c7606caa6.png

So how do they get there there, crammed on a coach,  plane?  I can't wrap my head around it

They have to be a decent distant away, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for a camp.  Don't give a shit what the gov labels as remote, the logistics can't be ignored.

Edited by FatPom
9 minutes ago, FatPom said:

So how do they get there there, crammed on a coach,  plane?  I can't wrap my head around it

They have to be a decent distant away, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for a camp.  Don't give a shit what the gov labels as remote, the logistics can't be ignored.

It's easy enough. Aus has plenty of long runways around the place - build the camp at Alice for example and you'd fly in directly with good facilities nearby.  These camps (having constructed a 500 person one in various locations in outback QLD) are pretty straightforward, can be expanded rapidly and moved away at the end (assuming there is an end).  Once quarantine is finished and the traveler is negative, can then fly to any other city.

https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/05/watch-moment-singapore-airlines-a380-lands-at-alice-springs/

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, truck said:

It's easy enough. Aus has plenty of long runways around the place - build the camp at Alice for example and you'd fly in directly with good facilities nearby.  These camps (having constructed a 500 person one in various locations in outback QLD) are pretty straightforward, can be expanded rapidly and moved away at the end (assuming there is an end).  Once quarantine is finished and the traveler is negative, can then fly to any other city.

https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/05/watch-moment-singapore-airlines-a380-lands-at-alice-springs/

AP is going to bring it up at cabinet this week.  Interesting.   I think she has her eyes on the big job.  

• Confused 1
25 minutes ago, Prince said:

AP is going to bring it up at cabinet this week.  Interesting.   I think she has her eyes on the big job.  

A premier going to prime minister would be a step back if the last 12 months is anything to go by. 

• Haha 2