Coronavirus

8 minutes ago, roxii said:

Can you get Flipper on to Bluey if she hasn’t found it already. It’s great, I watch it without the kids. The dad is a crack up  ( voiced by Dave McCormack from Custard) 

I think the jokes are a bit old for her mate but I'll give it a shot. 🤣

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

Am I right in the UK infection rates per capita is higher than in the us?  60k yesterday with a 66mil population, vs 201k from a 328mil pop in the us?

Stay safe FP, and don't let the lockdown send you nuts.  The banning of takeaway alcohol, is that just from restaurants or is that from any source?

Edited by goughy

The death rate is sightly higher in the UK as well, something like 1,100 per million vs 1,080 when I looked this morning. But with the UK going into lockdown and the US ..... well, I think they will overtake soon 

Oops, just realised you're probably talking about deaths not infections.  UK has 75k odd and US has 362k odd as of today.

5 hours ago, goughy said:

Am I right in the UK infection rates per capita is higher than in the us?  60k yesterday with a 66mil population, vs 201k from a 328mil pop in the us?

Stay safe FP, and don't let the lockdown send you nuts.  The banning of takeaway alcohol, is that just from restaurants or is that from any source?

I don't/can't comment on the rates really due to my job. (and don't want to get dragged into what I do or don't know) but it's not good any way you like at it and has not been handled as best as it could. Why on earth Little One had to go to school for a day yesterday is beyond me.

Yeah we are staying safe thank. TBH, not much changed for us, we rarely go out with friends, don't eat out much and keep to ourselves and live in a small (ish) satellite village. Our daughter missing her friends is the bigger issue, especially after changing schools last year as well.

She does really well with distance learning though and Mrs FP is very good.  We didn't have a single tantrum last lock down with learning at home and she did her whole school day,  every day. Fingers crossed for that again.

Not sure on the alcohol because we don't drink but I can't imagine them banning it from supermarkets etc. (there would be riots I think!)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, FatPom said:

I don't/can't comment on the rates really due to my job. (and don't want to get dragged into what I do or don't know) but it's not good any way you like at it and has not been handled as best as it could. Why on earth Little One had to go to school for a day yesterday is beyond me.

Yeah we are staying safe thank. TBH, not much changed for us, we rarely go out with friends, don't eat out much and keep to ourselves and live in a small (ish) satellite village. Our daughter missing her friends is the bigger issue, especially after changing schools last year as well.

She does really well with distance learning though and Mrs FP is very good.  We didn't have a single tantrum last lock down with learning at home and she did her whole school day,  every day. Fingers crossed for that again.

Not sure on the alcohol because we don't drink but I can't imagine them banning it from supermarkets etc. (there would be riots I think!)

All my positive vibes from the land of Milk and Money @FatPom.

We are in a weird state here where we border France and Germany and they have their rules and we have ours. In fact, the Cantons (like massive Shires) have different rules for tackling this and none are uniform .... I went XC skiing last week in Graubunden, but couldn't have gone into the Canton of Glarus as skiing isn't permitted there. Mountain walking is okay, but you can't mountain walk with a set of skis on!!!

Non-essential shops and restaurants are closed and the place is even quieter than usual.

Just waiting for a vaccine ....

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

All my positive vibes from the land of Milk and Money @FatPom.

Just waiting for a vaccine ....

Cheers mate.  Do you think the vaccine or the Harley will come first? 😀

3 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Cheers mate.  Do you think the vaccine or the Harley will come first? 😀

Easy one, mate .... Harley will come first and at least the good people at Harley won’t f*&k up the bike as governments will the vaccine!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Easy one, mate .... Harley will come first and at least the good people at Harley won’t f*&k up the bike as governments will the vaccine!!!!

I'm in line for mid May/June. (allegedly!).

What you need is a Milwaukee 130. Shadetree Surgeon style! 😎

Just wondering why Scotty from marketing is dragging his heels on the vaccine roll out? Keeps talking about not cutting corners, not rolling it out ‘Willy billy’ without testing every batch. Does he know something we don’t? Has the UK/US/Canada/Europe/Israel/China etc cut corners and if so what were they?  It just comes across as though they’ve been caught out that it has been approved elsewhere before they expected it, didn’t  order the right ones in the right quantity and don’t have the logistics in place. If so just fess up and move on and don’t try telling us we have a higher standard than the rest of the world. 

Given we don’t really need it Currently, I don’t have an issue in seeing how it goes in the uk and USA. 

but does it stop you getting Covid?

stop you passing it on if you get Covid?

stops you dying if you get coviid?

stop you getting as sick it you catch Covid?

31 minutes ago, Peter said:

Given we don’t really need it Currently, I don’t have an issue in seeing how it goes in the uk and USA. 

We will have a problem if this new strain escapes from HQ or Air Crew. 

I joked that Scotty from Marketing went to the online store, put in the order then got to the shipping quote... #aussieissues 

Edited by MissJess
32 minutes ago, Peter said:

but does it stop you getting Covid?

stop you passing it on if you get Covid?

stops you dying if you get coviid?

stop you getting as sick it you catch Covid?

Perhaps the royal 'we' isn't appropriate here.  True there are those in their own bubble who are more than happy for this to continue as is and some of those are better off financially (look at Harvey Norman, JB HiFi etc and anyone that has used JobKeeper to increase their profits).  Even politically, it's clear that it's a way to get re-elected by scaring the sh!t out of everyone and then proudly announcing isolationist policies as the way forward.  Then there are others who medically/emotionally/mentally/financially are materially worse off and have been hanging out for the vaccine that was going to come in Oct, then the end of the year and now maybe will start in March as a potential solution. That group has a right to expect better engagement from the Feds.

1 hour ago, truck said:

Just wondering why Scotty from marketing is dragging his heels on the vaccine roll out? 

Because its only been approved for emergency use only.  Which means it can be used in emergency situations (like a global pandemic) even though it hasnt completed all the requirements for approval

Final approval is usually granted after 2-3 months of followup has occurred.

Scotty is obviously waiting for the followup to be completed and the resulting data published.

Whoops too slow with my one fingered typing.

The fda link above explains it all.

I see your point but there is also a limit of vaccines while they are producing them too.

and the USA and uk and other countries need the vaccine way before we do and nz does.  

Anyway, can you answer my question?

what will the vaccine protect us against?

I honestly don’t know. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I honestly don’t know. 

I dont know for sure either but  I'm expecting it to be similar to the flu jab.  It may or may not prevent you catching it but it should lessen the impacts if you do.

• Like 1

Also, other countries are heading into peak flu season which is when the spread of these viruses is more prevalent.  I certainly wouldn't be surprised if other countries are being prioritised for doses.

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

Anyway, can you answer my question?

I honestly don’t know. 

My read on it is that I'm in a very low risk category so it's not necessarily aimed at protecting me - the idea is to stop the spread in the community, starve the virus of hosts and therefore prevent it getting to those that are in high risk categories.  On that basis I'm happy to have it although it's likely I'd be ok even if I didn't have it and caught CV19.

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Currently only allowed for use under an Emergency Use Authorisation (EUA).

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/emergency-use-authorization-vaccines-explained

Thanks - I've read that through (my background is biological sciences so I get all of that).  Nowhere does it say they are cutting corners though - in fact they clearly state repeatedly that any approved vaccine has undergone thorough testing.  They are also rolling out a vaccination program across the whole of the population that is over 16 and isn't pregnant so whilst they say 'emergency use' that's not how they are acting.

1 hour ago, -- AJ -- said:

I dont know for sure either but  I'm expecting it to be similar to the flu jab.  It may or may not prevent you catching it but it should lessen the impacts if you do.

So how will the WA premier deal with this then?  Remain shut for the next 5 or so years.  

even if you have had the vaccine you could still have the virus and take it into precious WA and then everyone there will catch it. 

going to be interesting to watch.  

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Also, other countries are heading into peak flu season which is when the spread of these viruses is more prevalent.  I certainly wouldn't be surprised if other countries are being prioritised for doses.

I agree. I’d rather them get it than us at the moment. 

1 hour ago, chris said:

I just read they will be able to do 80000 vaccines a week, that’s going to take 5 years to complete the task

Yeah they are shipping in 80,000 a week from the last week of the month. That would mean 560,000 here in Australia by the time they get rolling. 

I know it's nice and all to start with the old people, but perhaps they should be getting the jab to the folks on the front line dealing with the germy people from overseas?

5 hours ago, truck said:

Just wondering why Scotty from marketing is dragging his heels on the vaccine roll out? Keeps talking about not cutting corners, not rolling it out ‘Willy billy’ without testing every batch. Does he know something we don’t? Has the UK/US/Canada/Europe/Israel/China etc cut corners and if so what were they?  It just comes across as though they’ve been caught out that it has been approved elsewhere before they expected it, didn’t  order the right ones in the right quantity and don’t have the logistics in place. If so just fess up and move on and don’t try telling us we have a higher standard than the rest of the world. 

those countries had little choice based on the prevalence of infections and deaths. If they had few cases, they would be holding off, no doubt about it. Most vaccines take 9 years for approval, not 9 months, so thats worth keeping in mind. Albonese should be shamed for making this political, but I guess when you are totally irrelevant you have to make some sort of noise. 

3 hours ago, chris said:

I just read they will be able to do 80000 vaccines a week, that’s going to take 5 years to complete the task

Untrue, everyone will be vaccinated by October this year at the latest. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Prince said:

Untrue, everyone will be vaccinated by October this year at the latest. 

That’s a bet I’m willing to take on. Zero chance they won’t even have 50% done by October in Australia 

Edited by Peter
37 minutes ago, Prince said:

Most vaccines take 9 years for approval, not 9 months, so thats worth keeping in mind.

I believe thats due to the normal "process" and funding restrictions. 

In most cases where there is less global urgency, a company must get funding for step 1, complete step 1, evaluate step 1.  Write a proposal for step 2, wait fo funding to happen, start spet 2, implement step 2 etc. 

In this case, countries threw billions at this saying just do all your steps as fast as you can - you don't need to wait for one to get funding for 2. So they could have multiple tasks running simultaneously.  But they still did all the necessary steps and trials/evaluations. 

Saying that, I'm happy for other coutnreis ot get it and have sveeralmonths of evaluation of efficacy before we get it. 

Once that happens, I'd still be wary of getting al health and essential care workes done first, as if there is a problem, we lose a  huge essential sector with specific skills and training. 

Vaccinate border engagement people first sure, if we can prove it also reduces transmission? 

20 minutes ago, Turts said:

I believe thats due to the normal "process" and funding restrictions. 

In most cases where there is less global urgency, a company must get funding for step 1, complete step 1, evaluate step 1.  Write a proposal for step 2, wait fo funding to happen, start spet 2, implement step 2 etc. 

In this case, countries threw billions at this saying just do all your steps as fast as you can - you don't need to wait for one to get funding for 2. So they could have multiple tasks running simultaneously.  But they still did all the necessary steps and trials/evaluations. 

Agreed - add to this the vaccines they have more recently been looking for are targeted at much smaller populations and that makes the efficacy testing of them much harder because of the lack of volunteer test subjects. 

1 hour ago, Prince said:

those countries had little choice based on the prevalence of infections and deaths. If they had few cases, they would be holding off, no doubt about it. Most vaccines take 9 years for approval, not 9 months, so thats worth keeping in mind. Albonese should be shamed for making this political, but I guess when you are totally irrelevant you have to make some sort of noise. 

As Turts said, 9 years is not relevant in the case of a global pandemic with unlimited funding and test subjects.  On Albanese, I'd congratulate him on providing a challenge to Scotty's unsubstantiated view of the world.  It's a shame we don't have more public figures weighing into the debate as to how we are managing this. This has nothing to do with politics, just whether or not we want to act as sheep and be utterly compliant with everything  we are told to do and believe.

55 minutes ago, Turts said:

But they still did all the necessary steps and trials/evaluations. 

Actually they havn't.  They're still in the post phase-3 patient monitoring phase that used to get an indication of potential long term side-effects.  Usually this take 2-3 months to complete and then the results are reviewed before final approval.

This is why its still only "emergency-use" approval and not final approval.

50 minutes ago, truck said:

This has nothing to do with politics, just whether or not we want to act as sheep and be utterly compliant with everything  we are told to do and believe.

yep, lets not be sheep and follow other countries and rush to be vaccinated....🤣

I'm a 'healthy' 55 yr old. (56 in April) and according the Gov site, my jab will be in May/June but others in their 40s are also getting it now.

There are a list of ailments that bump you up the list, I don't have any of them because 'generally knackered with a busted back' isn't on the NHS list😆

My Mum is 84 and lives alone but hasn't had any letter yet. It seems a bit random but she's in a lower risk area.

9 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I'm a 'healthy' 55 yr old. (56 in April) and according the Gov site, my jab will be in May/June but others in their 40s are also getting it now.

There are a list of ailments that bump you up the list, I don't have any of them because 'generally knackered with a busted back' isn't on the NHS list😆

My Mum is 84 and lives alone but hasn't had any letter yet. It seems a bit random but she's in a lower risk area.

when do they predict all will be vaccinated?

12 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Likewise, parents in their 80’s but haven’t heard anything as yet. Couple of other family members have received it but they were in the at risk category. 

3 hours ago, Prince said:

when do they predict all will be vaccinated?

I'm not sure. the first vaccine needs two jabs 3wks apart but this latest one only needs one jab.  Can't imagine it being done by the end of the year but we'll see.

21 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Actually they havn't.  They're still in the post phase-3 patient monitoring phase that used to get an indication of potential long term side-effects.  Usually this take 2-3 months to complete and then the results are reviewed before final approval.

This is why its still only "emergency-use" approval and not final approval.

Vaccinations to now start mid Feb - perhaps Scotty will now explain how he's found 4-6 weeks without cutting corners, allowing full TGA approval to proceed, waiting for full stage 3 results and then analysing them and not doing stuff which yesterday he described as 'willy nilly'?

6 minutes ago, truck said:

Vaccinations to now start mid Feb - perhaps Scotty will now explain how he's found 4-6 weeks without cutting corners, allowing full TGA approval to proceed, waiting for full stage 3 results and then analysing them and not doing stuff which yesterday he described as 'willy nilly'?

Too much pressure from the FOMO community?

Actually, does anybody know the order in which different demographics get the Jab?

As far as I know it Frontline Workers, Aged Care workers, Elderly, those with Underlying conditions .... and after that I don't know.

Got a nasty feeling that males with no underlying conditions are somewhere down near the bottom of the list.

26 minutes ago, truck said:

they were going to commence in March and now they may be in mid to late Feb. By my calculations, they will start possibly start 1-2 weeks early, but hey, don't let me get in your way of  your typical Scotty beatup!

Edited by Prince

Indonesia have taken an interesting slant on vaccination.  all workers will get vaccinated first, whilst the elderly and young will go last.  Their rationale is that by vaccinating the more mobile working population they will build herd immunity faster, and enable the economy to get back on track faster.  It's OK for old to stay at home as they do not contribute to their economy.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Prince said:

they were going to commence in March and now they may be in mid to late Feb. By my calculations, they will start possibly start 1-2 weeks early, but hey, don't let me get in your way of  your typical Scotty beatup!

Still waiting for you to take my bet that everyone in australia will be vaccinated by October.   I give your comment zero chance of happening 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

Are you a bit special if you come from Avalon?

Just back from Polkolbin, stories from two venues there about people visiting this week from Avalon "because they just had to get away and escape all the stuff going down there".

1 minute ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Are you a bit special if you come from Avalon?

Just back from Polkolbin, stories from two venues there about people visiting this week from Avalon "because they just had to get away and escape all the stuff going down there".

Seriously, how the hell do these people survive into adulthood?

1 hour ago, -- AJ -- said:

Actually, does anybody know the order in which different demographics get the Jab?

As far as I know it Frontline Workers, Aged Care workers, Elderly, those with Underlying conditions .... and after that I don't know.

Got a nasty feeling that males with no underlying conditions are somewhere down near the bottom of the list.

That sounds about right. So the first passengers travelling overseas with Qantas in July will be close to retirement, work in aged care, smokers with high blood pressure. 

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Yogi Bearista said:

SMH's interpretation of Scomo's announcement.

image.thumb.png.9317c82452abd75ac06c082e6baf0a06.png

so basically, a good chunk of the economy running workforce will be last off the list. 

How about priority for those occupations that are shut down when States lockdown commercial activity because of a few cases? 

Scottie says that they will aim to start vaccination in mid-late Feb, at the rate of 80,000 per week, and intend to have 4,000,000 vaccinated by end of March.

That's going to need to be one hell of a ramp-up to achieve 4M in 4-6weeks.

Govt and responsive logistics are not terms normally mixed in a single sentence  - so will be interesting to see if they can achieve it.

At least the border workers will get it first.

I assume HQ includes transport and hotel workers, what about Australian based aircrew as well? Hotel and transport workers come home to the suburbs, and NSW allows local aircrew to go home and not do their turn around in a hotel.

Potentially Phase 1b for me. Underlying asthma, will probably get shafted into 2b as it's too mild and only needs treatment if I get a bad cold.