• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Still showing up in sewerage... Not necessarily eliminated just yet.

Just for my interest, has the virus showing up in sewerage ever led to a previously undetected case in an area when no cases had been detected for some significant amount of time.?

Considering we are all but eliminated nationally, and considering the costs associated with any lockdown measures. Surely we should now be doubling down on our returning traveler quarantine security to ensure there is no possible way for it to escape back into the public. 

16 minutes ago, roxii said:

Considering we are all but eliminated nationally, and considering the costs associated with any lockdown measures. Surely we should now be doubling down on our returning traveler quarantine security to ensure there is no possible way for it to escape back into the public. 

Surely you're using Common Sense in the context of a government run/monitored operation.  Will never happen.

2 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Surely you're using Common Sense in the context of a government run/monitored operation.  Will never happen.

Yeah I know, sorry. 
I it would be ideal if we had a standardised national approach to it as well. 

12 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah I know, sorry. 
I it would be ideal if we had a standardised national approach to it as well. 

51 minutes ago, roxii said:

Totally agree.  

sadly its not Going to happen. 

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Fingers crossed borders open back up again. I had booked a trip to Noosa for mid Dec.

1000's of schoolies there at the moment - strategy of shutting down the GC schoolies events has really worked out well! Police had to shut the beach at one point due to the rubbish and glass.  Police spokesman did come on TV and made a point that they're not the 'fun police' and had no intent to try and break up the 'instantaneous parties' - sly dig at AP and the CMO?  They'll all be gone by the time you arrive, broke due to the price of everything 😄

24 days in a row of no cases here in Victoria.

The pressure will be on if Queensland and Western Australian Premiers are really full of shit or not in 4 days time.

They always said, 28 days of no unknown active cases and they would open.

I'm tipping Queensland will open but Western Australia won't.

The West Australian premier seems like the type of guy that believe that Elvis is still alive and the Yanks never landed on the moon. 

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Fingers crossed borders open back up again. I had booked a trip to Noosa for mid Dec.

Assuming no new cases, QLD border will be open to all (except SA) from December 1.

Queensland will open its borders to Greater Sydney on 1 December after the city recorded no mystery cases of Covid-19 for 28 days in a row.

The Sunshine State, which is already open to the rest of NSW, will also open to Victoria on the same day if it records another day of zero new cases on Wednesday. 

December 1. 

WA really does stand for wait a while. 

33 minutes ago, Merv said:

Shouldn't be a shock to anyone the schoolies hammered Noosa. It's been relatively well known for months.

Despite it's reputation, the GC does it really well and as safe as can be expected considering the energy levels of kids that head there.  It never made sense to shut it down - as you say the kids were always going to go somewhere not that far from Brissie.

Its interesting looking at the stupidity of these ad hoc border laws. 

Currently Greater Sydney cannot enter Qld, yet the last reported outbreak was in the southern highlands which is not part of greater Sydney. 

Therefore the area with the greatest likelihood of bringing in infections from NSW were fine to go to Qld.   Go figure 

21 minutes ago, truck said:

Despite it's reputation, the GC does it really well and as safe as can be expected considering the energy levels of kids that head there.  It never made sense to shut it down - as you say the kids were always going to go somewhere not that far from Brissie.

Yep GC get heaps of practice at major events.

Edited by Merv

Meanwhile in the UK

Quarantine after arriving from high-risk countries from 14 days to just five.

Most here no longer fear the virus

440 average deaths each day

All shops, gyms and personal care businesses will be able to open as normal.

-----------------------------------------------

From theage.com.au

London: When Boris Johnson announced England's second national shutdown on October 31, my phone lit up as family, friends and colleagues in Australia shared disbelief over Britain's mounting death toll and expressed sympathy about facing another lockdown.

They had good reason to raise the former - in the 25 days since, 8796 people have died from COVID-19 in the United Kingdom, and about 34,000 were admitted to hospital. While deaths are not spiking as sharply as earlier this year, they are high and likely to stay high for the next few months.

But my Australian friends needn't have worried about the latter because this lockdown has looked and felt nothing like the one in April and May. As cases climbed, the public largely carried on with life. Crowds rammed weekend markets at Greenwich and queued in long lines for the click-and-collect service at Apple's Covent Garden store. The line to get into Borough Market on Saturday snaked around the block.

They were out and about because the rules mostly allowed it. Lockdown 2.0 has been much less strict than the first and much less severe than Melbourne's shutdown even though the health situation is far worse.

But something profound has happened: rightly or wrongly, most here no longer fear the virus. In the great balancing act between health and the economy, the scales are now overwhelmingly lean towards jobs and social cohesion. Deaths hardly rate a mention in parliamentary debates and press coverage. The brutal truth is that Britain has become indifferent to the 440 average deaths each day.

People are also thoroughly confused. They have been bombarded by mixed messaging, shifting rules and contradictory policies. The unprecedented nature of this pandemic requires nimble decision-making but the government has often been all at sea. Predictably, the level of compliance needed to make lockdowns work has collapsed.

Johnson on Monday announced yet another plan: England's second lockdown would end as scheduled on December 2 and be replaced with three tiers of restrictions based on how badly the virus is spreading in certain regions.

The brutal truth is that Britain has become indifferent to the 440 average deaths each day.

Under Tier 3, the most severe level, hospitality will be restricted to takeaways and delivery. But all shops, gyms and personal care businesses will be able to open as normal.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer made the obvious point on Monday that the existing tiered system in place before the November lockdown did not do much to lower transmission, so why would it now?

The mandatory nationwide closure of hospitality venues will be pushed back from 10pm to 11pm under Johnson's new plan and up to 4000 people will be allowed at sporting matches in Tier 1 and 2000 under Tier 2. Up to 1000 people will be permitted to attend live indoor performances under the lower two tiers.

In a surprise move, Johnson also revealed rules requiring close contacts of confirmed cases to self-isolate for 14 days would be axed. The self-isolation policy has been in place in Britain since the start of the pandemic and is a central weapon in the armory of many countries. 

The government says self-isolation will be replaced by close contacts being tested each day for a week. If they test negative, they can go about their day as normal. Johnson concedes the method is "untried" and that there are "many unknowns". An early concern is that many close contacts simply won't bother getting their daily tests. 

The government will also cut the length of time people have to quarantine after arriving from high-risk countries from 14 days to just five. They will be able to leave home isolation on day five on the condition they test negative, using a privately sourced test which can cost up to £150 ($275) a pop. Good luck with that.

4 hours ago, -H- said:

Might have to quarantine in Victoria on the way there 😄

Haha na. 

Little Miss B@W finishes year 10 on the Friday and we were flying out on the Saturday. If we can't go we might go to the NT or head to Canberra. I haven't been to the War memorial since I was 17. 

So how come we are paying for a private citizen to fly around Europe on a RAAF jet because ScoMo doesn't want him him to catch CV19?

RAAF jet necessary to keep Cormann safe: Morrison

Ronald MizenReporter

Scott Morrison has defended the use of a $4305-an-hour taxpayer-funded jet to assist former senator Mathias Cormann's push to become the next head of the OECD, saying the risk of him catching COVID-19 is extremely high.

Mr Cormann has also been assigned a staff of about eight bureaucrats to assist with the campaign, prompting Labor to demand the Prime Minister reveal how much money had been allocated to the bid.

Mr Morrison announced the nomination of Mr Cormann – Australia's longest-serving finance minister – to become the next secretary-general of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in October.

The government has been assisting the now-private citizen to visit as many OECD member countries as possible before the Christmas holidays and ahead of the first round of voting which is likely to begin in late January.

Mr Cormann has already held meetings in Turkey, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Slovenia, Luxembourg, Belgium, Spain and Portugal, and has further visits planned to Austria, Slovakia, Hungary and France.

He is thought to be in a group of four leading contenders for the role, along with former EU trade commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom, who was nominated by her native Sweden, Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid, and Christopher Liddell, a White House adviser nominated by the US.

'He would have got COVID'

The final outcome should be known by March 1 when the public servants assigned to the campaign will return to their usual duties.

Speaking to 2GB on Wednesday, Mr Morrison said Australia had never secured the position before and was taking the bid "very seriously".

"The reason we need him to do that in the Air Force jet is because COVID is running rampant," he said. "This is a very important position. The OECD is going to play a really important role in the global economic recovery.

"There really wasn't the practical option to use commercial flights in the time we had available because of COVID. I mean, if Mathias was flying around on commercial planes, he would have got COVID."

But the use of a taxpayer-funded private jet has prompted concern, with Labor – who supported Mr Cormann's nomination – highlighting a "double standard" between his treatment and that of Australians stranded overseas.

"There's 36,000 Australians currently stranded as a result of border closures; they don't get this sort of treatment, having an RAAF jet," Labor's foreign affairs spokeswoman, Penny Wong, said.

"They are required to fly commercial, so I thought that double standard would be pretty hard to hear for some of those families whose relatives are in difficult circumstances, stuck outside Australia."

'What's the budget for this?'

Labor's finance spokeswoman, Senator Katy Gallagher, said the government needed to come clean on how much money was being spent and whether alternative options such as Zoom calls were considered.

"What's the budget for this? You know, what's the extent of the support? How much money is being spent?" Senator Gallagher said.

She cited former Australian Democrats leader Natasha Stott Despoja's successful bid this month to join the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women as an alternative approach.

"She did a lot of it by Zoom from home," she said. "Some would be asking, was a campaign like that looked at before the decision was taken to give him not only a plane but also, as I understand it, a whole unit in DFAT.”

1 hour ago, Ayto said:

Big Day tomorrow. Potential for Vic to record 28 days of no new cases or deaths.

Isn't that supposed to be the definition of elimination???

40 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

No its the definition for opening the QLD border.🙄

But not the west australian

1 hour ago, Ayto said:

Big Day tomorrow. Potential for Vic to record 28 days of no new cases or deaths.

Isn't that supposed to be the definition of elimination???

Technically yes for community transmission, but as long as Covid positive returned travelers are coming home and we find ways to let them pass it to the community we are still not out of the woods. 
NZ had 100 or so days then a new case 

3 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Too busy sucking up to China?

Australia's already in the naughty corner. If we created a travel bubble with Taiwan, that would be the end of any Political relationship with China!

Edited by Dalai
On 24/11/2020 at 4:39 AM, Peter said:

Meanwhile in the UK

Sloppy reporting here from The Age.  Eng and Wales already had tiering, so that isn't replacing lockdown. (only Eng in lockdown right now).

Wales had a 2wk firebreak and  the Poisonous Krankie has instigated a 5 tier system in the frozen north. (probably because they figure they're getting two tiers for nothing 🤣 )

Edited by FatPom
1 hour ago, roxii said:

I think they have “dibs” on three or four different vaccines, the difference is that the Oxford one I think we were able to produce locally, the others I’m not too sure about. 

Well if we get a choice, I’ll be avoiding the AstraZeneca one from Oxford University thanks  

of the big 3, they have the WORST OF THEM ALL  

https://www.corp-research.org/astrazeneca

3 hours ago, Peter said:

I was super critical of the Vic state government but when you read this, its the Federal and privately run aged care homes that are disgraceful. 

maybe I was wrong about dan Andrews. 

29E04644-6B83-457B-99FC-FF8ACFD43E53.jpeg

The state run homes are in regional areas. Not Melbourne. That is why the numbers are very different.