Caroline Overtington in the Australian today:

Lockdown decisions in Victoria are being made not for medical, but for political reasons.

How do we know? Because they have admitted it, this morning.

In case you missed it, the Dan Andrews government told gobsmacked Victorians yesterday that they were going to allow 1250 people to attend at the Cox Plate in Melbourne over the weekend.

According to the relevant Minister, Martin Pakula, the races were going to be open “out of respect” for the occasion:

But wait, said Victoria, where is the respect for the deceased and their families, wanting to attend funerals in Victoria?

Where was the respect for fathers, on Father’s Day?

Where is the respect for Christians who can’t attend church services?

Where is the respect for humble Melburnians who are banned from even having friends and family over to watch the own homes and watch the grand final this weekend?

But yes, off you to the races?

People – no, voters – were furious.

And now the decision has been reversed, and you’d only do that on medical advice, wouldn’t you?

Because that’s what everyone’s being asked to accept, that all this lockdown misery is necessary on medical grounds, right?

Saving lives and all that?

Well, no, it’s actually about saving skins, because Pakula says the decision was scrapped after the government “heard community feedback”.

Meaning, they got nervous, politically, when they saw the reaction.

Derryn Hinch very often has his finger on the pulse. Here’s his take:

And when you follow that thread, you call see all the people who want to know why the Covid restrictions don’t ever seem to apply to the rich and well-connected.

It’s all dodgy as all get out, but nothing stinks like politics quite as much as this decision.

It’s clearly about the anger in the community. They’ve said so themselves.

The shutdown, and all the misery and despair it is causing, is all about saving Dan Andrews and his government.

How far will they go? Well, it seems like they’re preparing to sacrifice even Brett Sutton.

Watch his position carefully over the next few days.

A valiantly or perhaps we should say cowardly effort was made to throw him under a bus late last week, by leaking an email that showed that he was at a meeting that mentioned hotel quarantine, early than he’s previously admitted to in the inquiry.

He’s going to be hauled back to the inquiry now, to explain himself.

Never mind that he didn’t actually make the decision. Unless he moves fast, he’s going to be made to carry the can for the 800 dead in Victoria.

They’re running over him again this morning, with more leaked emails.

Anyone but Dan must take the blame.

But that’s a separate matter, for another day.

Today, we can see more clearly than we could ever see just how much nonsense they’re being fed in Victoria.

It’s okay to have a crowd at the Cox Plate, but you can’t have friends over to watch the AFL grand final?

It’s okay to have crowds at the Cox Plate, but you can’t go to church on Sunday?

It’s okay to have crowds at the Cox Plate, but a cafe can’t serve avocado on toast to a person sitting outside?

Then it’s not okay because the community wouldn’t cop it?

It never made medical sense. Health decisions are being influenced by politics, as the government scrambles to save not the long suffering residents of Victoria, but itself.

• Like 2
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

10 at a funeral

1250 at the Cox plate. 

dead people don’t vote or give money to the government.  
rich horse owners do. 
pretty simple why the decision was made. 

but with the afl grand final you can’t have people over yet they were happy to announce the horse crowds. 

people are now going to ignore all advice this weekend for the AFL grand final. You can bet on it. 

On the other hand, The Australia is a Murdoch owned newspaper that is full of anti-labour sentiment and dresses everything up to be a scandal.  The (up to) 1250 people were not members of the public - it would have still been a closed event. Rather, the people allowed were owners, officials, jockeys, marshals etc and even then not all at the same time.   

"It’s okay to have a crowd at the Cox Plate, but you can’t have friends over to watch the AFL grand final?"  probably should read "It’s okay to have officials at the Cox Plate and Dustin Martin is allowed to play at the grand final" or

"It’s okay to have crowds at the Cox Plate, but a cafe can’t serve avocado on toast to a person sitting outside?"  probably should read "we allow the owners and staff of the cafe to go to work to serve take-away to keep the industry alive just as we allow a skeleton crew at the races to keep that industry alive.

Come on you lot, don't get sucked into the Murdoch diatribe, you'll wearing I love Peta Credlin Tshirts next...!?

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

On the other hand, The Australia is a Murdoch owned newspaper that is full of anti-labour sentiment and dresses everything up to be a scandal.  The (up to) 1250 people were not members of the public - it would have still been a closed event. Rather, the people allowed were owners, officials, jockeys, marshals etc and even then not all at the same time.   

"It’s okay to have a crowd at the Cox Plate, but you can’t have friends over to watch the AFL grand final?"  probably should read "It’s okay to have officials at the Cox Plate and Dustin Martin is allowed to play at the grand final" or

"It’s okay to have crowds at the Cox Plate, but a cafe can’t serve avocado on toast to a person sitting outside?"  probably should read "we allow the owners and staff of the cafe to go to work to serve take-away to keep the industry alive just as we allow a skeleton crew at the races to keep that industry alive.

Come on you lot, don't get sucked into the Murdoch diatribe, you'll wearing I love Peta Credlin Tshirts next...!?

Why should you be allowed to have 1,250 people at the races regardless of who they are? Are horse racing people immune to Covid? 

43 minutes ago, more said:

Why should you be allowed to have 1,250 people at the races regardless of who they are? Are horse racing people immune to Covid? 

Well, why should you be allowed to have 1.25 people at 1,000 coffee shops regardless of who they are? Are Baristas and sandwich makers immune to Covid? And if each coffeeshop serves 100 people a day that is an interaction of 125,000 people.  I don't particularly like the horse racing industry and wouldn't lose too much sleep if it went away, but it is an industry and it does support a lot of people.  Not to mention it's cultural significance and the intangible social benefit, along the lines of an AFL season and Grand Final.  I believe the metonymic phrase, referring to superficial appeasement, attributed to the Roman poet Juvenal, is "Bread and Circuses" - the backbone of all good governments..... :)

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

it seems most of the media and the general population must be full of anti-labour sentiment then.   Fancy allowing this many people to attend a horse race when those burying loved ones (some of whom have died of covid) , as a direct result by a corrupt and dishonest government is capped at 10 persons...

It doesn't remotely pass the pub test, but they are not open, so i guess it doesn't matter.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Yeah it’s a real shame having peta credlin around.  Then again it took one question from her To get to the bottom of the mystery phone caller, ie release phone records.  I’m sure one of the ABC/Age journalists was just about to ask the same question.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
37 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Well, why should you be allowed to have 1.25 people at 1,000 coffee shops regardless of who they are? Are Baristas and sandwich makers immune to Covid? And if each coffeeshop serves 100 people a day that is an interaction of 125,000 people.  I don't particularly like the horse racing industry and wouldn't lose too much sleep if it went away, but it is an industry and it does support a lot of people.  Not to mention it's cultural significance and the intangible social benefit, along the lines of an AFL season and Grand Final.  I believe the metonymic phrase, referring to superficial appeasement, attributed to the Roman poet Juvenal, is "Bread and Circuses" - the backbone of all good governments..... :)

it supports the State Governments. lets face it, it is one of the biggest revenue spinners for the state. 

Its going To be interesting when the active cases cross over with nsw and Vic, especially if Vic is still stuck in the ring of steal and can’t travel to a beach or regional Victoria. 

ECB143BA-DC6C-4FE7-BB1D-A5A320AFE486.jpeg

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Its going To be interesting when the active cases cross over with nsw and Vic, especially if Vic is still stuck in the ring of steal and can’t travel to a beach or regional Victoria. 

ECB143BA-DC6C-4FE7-BB1D-A5A320AFE486.jpeg

This graph doesn't show where the cases are coming from. Most of the NSW cases are returned travellers in hotel quarantine. There are more community transmission cases in Vic. That is what they are worried about...

Lindsay Fox praises Dan for the way he’s managed the virus. Dan in return calls Fox a great Victorian. So if you too want to be known as a great Victorian then that’s all you have to do!

Wasn't Fox the guy that wanted to claim a bay beach as part of his yard and stop people walking on it?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, truck said:

Lindsay Fox praises Dan for the way he’s managed the virus. Dan in return calls Fox a great Victorian. So if you too want to be known as a great Victorian then that’s all you have to do!

Wasn't Fox the guy that wanted to claim a bay beach as part of his yard and stop people walking on it?

His daughter was on the yacht which was busted crossing the qld border after saying it was coming straight from Melbourne for repairs in a Gold Coast shipyard but failed to declare they’d stopped off at numerous ports In NSW on their leisurely cruise north.

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Wait, in all of Australia there are 200 active cases? That's it? With what I see on the news pages I thought it was like the zombie apocalypse there. Oh dear. Current restrictions are an EXTREME overreaction. 

And a bunch of the 200 are in hotel lockdown. 

53 in wa sa and qld are in hotels. 
53 in nsw I don’t know but some must be in hotels. 
109 in Vic about 20 are in hotels. 

so in summary about 100 are at home in isolation and the rest in hotels. 

7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Wait, in all of Australia there are 200 active cases? That's it? With what I see on the news pages I thought it was like the zombie apocalypse there. Oh dear. Current restrictions are an EXTREME overreaction. 

If it were 200,000+ would it still be an over reaction?   

Did you consider that maybe the reason that its not 200K is because we have had those restrictions?

Interesting issue facing scientists at the moment is people being reinfected with Covid a 2nd time. Link Here for story about the 1st Australian reinfection those that might have missed it.

3 points come out of it.

1. Antibodies don't appear to be lingering as long as expected
  2. Herd immunity by letting everybody catch the disease may not work a successfully as first thought
  3. A vaccine may not actually work for a long period of time (if at all)

Given that our way forward out of this pandemic currently relies on the combination of Herd Immunity provided by the vaccine, I think that any thought of normality in the near future may need to be reconsidered.

Of course the alternative option that the patient was misdiagnosed at some stage in which case you may return to your regular complaint posts about the way that various governments are mismanaging  this.

6 hours ago, Peter said:

Hmm. I’ll predict it now NSW will be worse off than Victoria by December 1st. 

which will suck as my family Xmas is in the shire this year.  

6E47FB24-3C92-40E2-BD25-4C07CBAF5ED4.jpeg