Posted (edited)
On 01/10/2020 at 12:16 PM, Toolish said:

I agree, but he would only speak for 20-30 minutes if the journos stopped asking the same inane questions trying to work their angle..

On 01/10/2020 at 2:03 PM, Peter said:

They keep asking the same questions because he never answers them. 

From the journalists 

Osman Faruqi, a journalist with the Saturday Paper, says broadcasting press conferences has both helped and hindered public understanding. Because while they are seeing one part of how the media operates, they are not seeing the whole: the weeks of emails and phone calls to government departments requesting a response to a simple question; the outright lies from government arguing that a story which is later proved right is wrong; the hours spent on phones to sources.

“[Journalists] are asking a series of questions that can sound frustrating and boring because that’s how the media works,” he says. “Getting answers out of government is frustrating and boring and sometimes you have to ask the same question five days in a row to get an answer that is still ultimately unsatisfying.”

He says televising the press conferences has also changed the way they are conducted, like a journalistic Schrödinger’s cat. Journalists may be more conscious of the way they do their job – which means more intense scrutiny, more questions, a more combative tone – and Andrews is increasingly playing to the back of the room. Dismissing a question does not go down well in a room full of journalists, but it does work for those watching at home.

Edited by Peter
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

@Toolish I understand you will never be willing to accept the other side of the argument being a life long labor voter and that’s cool. 

Ive voted both ways and actually in the last few elections voted labor myself.  

I won’t vote labor in Victoria next time but will probably federally as Scomo has proven in this whole Covid situation he has either no balls, or no power over the states. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 2

I hate journalists with a passion; their only job is to devise sensationalist headlines to sell advertising. A journalist therefore works in advertising, with the ethics and morals of the industry. In terms of credibility aren't journalists down the bottom of the pile with salesmen and politicians? 

9 minutes ago, oldave said:

I hate journalists with a passion; their only job is to devise sensationalist headlines to sell advertising. A journalist therefore works in advertising, with the ethics and morals of the industry. In terms of credibility aren't journalists down the bottom of the pile with salesmen and politicians? 

I agree that 90% of them and clickbait shitbags. 

but there are good ones too.

bit like most industries. Plumbers, Physio’s , lawyers 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I agree that 90% of them and clickbait shitbags. 

but there are good ones too.

bit like most industries. Plumbers, Physio’s , lawyers 

The ones that don't work in commercial media might be ok, they don't work in advertising

I'll weigh in on the journalist thing; I originally went to uni to study journalism and changed to media prod while there.  Journalism has changed quite dramatically over the last 20 or so years, I think mostly because of the accessibility of mass media to everyone!  I just look at our local paper as an example.  I see them linking articles on facebook and the continual comments from followers with "can't read it" and "can someone post a screenshot so I can read it" etc etc.  They've moved to a subscription model over the last 5 years and people complain endlessly about it - but someone has to pay for it!  

Rather than just having the local, state, and national newspapers plus a nightly news to watch, we now have umpteen free online sources, bloggers and hackers (Assange etc, who I don't consider journalists like many do), 24/7 news channels on tv, plus morning shows and so on and so on and so on.  There are so many sources clammering for our attention to keep them going (or relevant), whereas we had just a few in the past.  They now try and grab our attention by having the most sensational headlines - like a peacock displaying it's plumage!  Back in '89, probably the best piece of assessment I ever sibmitted was an oral I did on "Sensationalism in the news", and back then it was nothing like it is now!  So it's been building for a long time.  I don't think a lot of these journalists are trying to lie to us, I went to uni with a lot of fine people.  But it's the fight for the almighty dollar and relevance in a massively oversaturated space that creates this "look at me, look at me" article.  I don't envy a lot of these people these days.  Jobs must be hard to come by, less well paid, and a fight to keep in this market.  I actually find it a real shame, and while some of my favourite sources of news are those that some here consider "the worst", I do try and read between the lines of what I'm seeing.

I don't agree with Peter's percentage of shitbags, but they certainly are out there.  But there are an awful lot of good ones out there too - just harder to see through the din!  There are some great upholsterers in my town, and there are some shitbags too.  I met some shitbag solar installers too before we had ours done, and some good ones.  My dad had shitbag lawyers, but one of my mates is a good one. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Peter said:

@Toolish I understand you will never be willing to accept the other side of the argument being a life long labor voter and that’s cool. 

Nice attempt at judgement.  Never voted labor in my life that I can recall mate.  Honestly don't follow politics closely at all and up until COVID couldn't have told you which party Dan or Sco Mo represented.

I have realised that any point of view that opposes you or @more will never be taken on board by either of you.  And I have also realised that for some reason you both think a lot of posts are politically motivated rather than just observations and opinions on events.

Therefore I am out of this thread, it has run it's useful course, actually that is probably the case for this forum overall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Nice attempt at judgement.  Never voted labor in my life that I can recall mate.  Honestly don't follow politics closely at all and up until COVID couldn't have told you which party Dan or Sco Mo represented.

I have realised that any point of view that opposes you or @more will never be taken on board by either of you.  And I have also realised that for some reason you both think a lot of posts are politically motivated rather than just observations and opinions on events.

Therefore I am out of this thread, it has run it's useful course, actually that is probably the case for this forum overall.

Soooo you make a comment about reporters asking questions, me and Peter explain why they are asking the questions, we provide proof of why they are asking the questions, Peter posts further proof from a reporter why they are asking the questions... And you crack it.. 

Seems clear who is the one who has trouble taking on any point of view who opposes your own... 

3 minutes ago, more said:

Soooo you make a comment about reporters asking questions, me and Peter explain why they are asking the questions, we provide proof of why they are asking the questions, Peter posts further proof from a reporter why they are asking the questions... And you crack it.. 

Seems clear who is the one who has trouble taking on any point of view who opposes your own... 

He posted the actual answer, and showed question was asked multiple times and answered.

Then there is the tin foil hat stuff being posted around here about death rates:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-02/coronacheck-death-certificates-true-covid-death-rate/12721210

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

He posted the actual answer, and showed question was asked multiple times and answered.

Then there is the tin foil hat stuff being posted around here about death rates:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-02/coronacheck-death-certificates-true-covid-death-rate/12721210

He posted a statement of a general nature and followed up with one example. We responded with our opinion also with examples... The problem being he can't handle an opposing opinion.. Like many here... 

6 minutes ago, more said:

He posted a statement of a general nature and followed up with one example. We responded with our opinion also with examples... The problem being he can't handle an opposing opinion.. Like many here... 

This place is a train wreck good luck to you all

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Just now, BarryBevan said:

This place is a train wreck good luck to you all

2 cry babies.  Bye.  Bye. 

Edited by Peter
7 hours ago, Peter said:

29 minutes ago, Toolish said:

For the record I said that cool for you. Meaning, everyone has different opinions. And I then gave an example to you from the media themselves why they ask the same or similar questions over and over. 

and then you have a cry and run.  

I expected nothing less when you were confronted with facts. 

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’d say it to their faces. 

Me too. Me and my best mate had an argument about Dan last week, I told him he was full of shit and gullable, he said something similar to me.. We both put our big boy pants and are still best mates... 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, more said:

Can you explain what you think is trolling or not on goughy? What part of what Peter has said is wrong or unfair? 

I have no need to explain anything.  As a member has said "you guys crack me up thinking I need to justify anything to you".  I would have sent a PM to him but I saw no point in that as it would go nowhere.  I know this will go nowhere as well.  I said it on the forum as that's as face to face as I can get.  I understand some members may not like that, and that's fine.  I can handle it, plus whatever you or anyone else wish to dish at me.    

5 minutes ago, goughy said:

I have no need to explain anything.  As a member has said "you guys crack me up thinking I need to justify anything to you".  I would have sent a PM to him but I saw no point in that as it would go nowhere.  I know this will go nowhere as well.  I said it on the forum as that's as face to face as I can get.  I understand some members may not like that, and that's fine.  I can handle it, plus whatever you or anyone else wish to dish at me.    

It's not about justifying anything, I honestly just wanted to understand.. I can't see the problem? Maybe he cant either. We are all grown ups... 

Edited by more

And I'm sorry if you can't understand.  I'm sorry that you can't see the problem.  Maybe I'm seeing a problem that doesn't exist?  I'm happy to accept the consequences of that if that's the case.  

On 02/10/2020 at 9:49 AM, goughy said:

Heard a Pommier Pollie took the train to Parliament and gave a speech there while waiting for the results of her covid test, and then once receiving a positive result took the train home.

Scottish not Pommie. 

• Thanks 2

Can anyone point me in the direction to where nsw has said they will open borders to regional Victoria at some point? 

I have heard it on the radio but not seen in papers 

51 minutes ago, Peter said:

Can anyone point me in the direction to where nsw has said they will open borders to regional Victoria at some point? 

I have heard it on the radio but not seen in papers 

Depends to which part. 

As a Vic Border Region resident you have access to NSW Border Region. 

Vic also have access to the Murray River (NSW) as long as they don't land on the NSW bank. 

But from what I can find, no mention of opening willy nilly regional Vic to all of NSW.

(I need to be as on top of it as I can be, due to work, but haven't seen anything about regional Vic getting open slather on all of NSW)

On 03/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, oldave said:

Just so everyone understands what actually happens...

A journalist has about as much to do with writing the headline attached to their article, as a bike fitter does with correcting your swim stroke.

Writing of headlines and captions are the domain of editors and subs

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

As I said, 28 days of no community transmission in NSW impossible.  A stupid target for an entire state to have to meet.

Goodbye Hamilton Is Tri for us.

Was there cases today in nsw?

unknown? 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Was there cases today in nsw?

unknown? 

3 cases of community transmission in Sydney according to the news.

As Glady's rightly said, Qld will remain closed to NSW forever if their 28 days rule continues.

16 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

As I said, 28 days of no community transmission in NSW impossible.  A stupid target for an entire state to have to meet.

Goodbye Hamilton Is Tri for us.

Can't be that hard.  Queensland is currently at 27 days.

Is it zero cases of community transmission period, or zero cases of community transmission where the source is unknown?

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

Is it zero cases of community transmission period, or zero cases of community transmission where the source is unknown?

From a personal perspective, I'd like to think the latter because that would be easier to achieve.

The stuff I've read said zero cases with unknown sources.  Does make a big difference, I believe.

3 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Can't be that hard.  Queensland is currently at 27 days.

Chalk & cheese in terms of how hard it is.

Covid Tests Popln       % tested        Capital pop    State area         (M km2) Population density (p/km2)
NSW  2,757,899 8,158,000 34%             4,925,987          0.8

Qld  1,138,080 5,160,023 22%             2,406,000         1.853   2.8                                        

With 22% tested, I''d bet there are undetected cases of community transmission in Qld, and same in NSW.

• Like 1
On 17/09/2020 at 10:30 PM, Mike Del said:

Gov document to show suicide numbers 3 times higher than they really are isn’t the truth, doctored figures in newspaper stories aren’t the truth, posting a statement from a British newspaper about their Government’s COVID response and claiming it’s about Dan Andrews isn’t the truth. They’re all in this thread and I can’t understand why you would get so aggressive if someone points out information here that’s not the truth. 

And what are going on about involving me and the Trump thread?

Suicide data / story. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
56 minutes ago, Peter said:

Is she going to the press conferences? 

she did today - from the Australian:

Tony Abbott’s former chief of staff Peta Credlin has ambushed Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews at his daily coronavirus press conference, grilling him on why crucial phone records have not been handed over the hotel quarantine inquiry.

Credlin, a Liberal insider and Sky News host, asked at least a dozen detailed questions about the phone records, which she argued could shed light on who decided to use private security in the bungled quarantine system.

In a statement to the inquiry published today, Victoria Police chief Graham Ashton referred to a six-minute phone call he received where he learnt details about the private security plan, but couldn’t remember who the caller was.

Credlin asked the Premier repeatedly why he wouldn’t freely hand over the records to the inquiry to clear up finally who made the decision to hire private guards.

She said the inquiry didn’t have the power to compel Mr Andrews or Department of Premier and Cabinet secretary Chris Eccles to hand over the records.

“For the avoidance of doubt are you, Chris Eccles and indeed your chief of staff prepared to provide your outgoing calls in that six-minute period?” Credlin asked.

“We’ve been happy all along as the inquiry has sought information from us – from any Victorian – and the answer should be yes,” the Premier replied.

Peta Credlin grilled Daniel Andrews on Friday. Picture: Sky News via NCA NewsWire Peta Credlin grilled Daniel Andrews on Friday. Picture: Sky News via NCA NewsWire

Credlin stepped in again and asked: “Can you provide it anyway whether (the inquiry) ask for it or not? It goes to the heart of the question of who had called Ashton?”

The Premier replied: “I would’ve thought we well and truly established if not from today’s press conference but from many I’ve done in recent times that the inquiry is independent.

“The inquiry act makes that clear – that’s not a matter of opinion, that’s a matter of fact – and I’m not going to get into telling the inquiry what they should be seeking, what they should be calling for or finding.”

He went on to say it was within the inquiry’s power “to raise those matters”.

But Credlin interjected, saying it was not within its power.

“Under the Victoria inquiry act, it does not have the power to request from you or your chief of staff or Mr Eccles phone records … but you as an individual, your chief of staff and Mr Eccles can willingly provide information now and completely clear up this six-minute period that has been subject to a whole lot of debate and conjecture,” Credlin said.

Daniel Andrews dismissed questions about whether he would provide his telecommunications to the hotel quarantine inquiry. Picture: Sky News via NCA NewsWire Daniel Andrews dismissed questions about whether he would provide his telecommunications to the hotel quarantine inquiry. Picture: Sky News via NCA NewsWire

The Premier replied: “I understand the point you’re making but the point misses a key element here.

“I’ve given evidence, Mr Ashton has given evidence, there’s no federal or state prohibition on people being asked a question in fact they’re obliged regardless of which government passed the law to answer fully.”

But the fiery exchange continued when Credlin stepped in again to say “Ashton wasn’t asked”.

“He does say that someone called him with that decision (private security guards) — he cant recall who it is …” Credlin said.

“Well, there you go,” the Premier chimed in.

“No, no please,” Credlin continued on. “He’s a former police commissioner who clearly says he had a call in that period of time. He cannot remember the name but he says it was an individual … So if his record of his incoming calls could be obtained we would be able to tell who called him.

“If you, your chief of staff or Mr Eccles provided your phone records at that time and if you did not call Mr Ashton this whole matter would be cleared up.”

The Premier replied with harsh words for the TV host.

“With the greatest of respect, if you’re putting it to me that somehow you’ve got the power to put the request of me but the board doesn’t, that's just not right,” Mr Andrews said.

“If the board requires that information or any other information, they can seek that from anyone they choose.

“I don’t agree with the notion that now you and your network have an ability to put something to me and make a request of me but the board of inquiry doesn’t. The board has that power.”

Former Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton was the hot topic of debate at Friday’s press conference. Picture: COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Inquiry via NCA NewsWire Former Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton was the hot topic of debate at Friday’s press conference. Picture: COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Inquiry via NCA NewsWire

In statement sent to the hotel inquiry and published on Friday the then Victoria Police chief commissioner Graham Ashton revealed how he received a phone call from an interstate colleague informing him of the decision of National Cabinet - in relation to hotel guards.

“Between 1:16pm and 1:22pm someone had given information to CCP Ashton of arrangements to use private security, although he could not recall who gave him that information or advice,” the statement said.

It went on to detail Ashton had obtained his mobile telephone billing records but these only included incoming calls from other Victoria Police executives.

It comes after former health minister Jenny Mikakos turned on Premier Daniel Andrews, saying his decision to “subvert” usual cabinet process caused Victoria’s hotel quarantine disaster.

In the bombshell statement submitted to the hotel quarantine, Ms Mikakos took aim at Mr Andrews and also threw Jobs Minister Martin Pakula under the bus.

“The haste with which this program was established saw the usual cabinet processes subverted with the Premier,” her statement said.

Interesting as I thought she lived in Sydney.  

So if she made the decision to physically be here, she’s obviously going to gun for him relentlessly.  

good 

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Interesting as I thought she lived in Sydney.  

So if she made the decision to physically be here, she’s obviously going to gun for him relentlessly.  

good 

She cant be too bright if she cant figure out how to wear a mask properly.

• Like 1

Hmm 

Author Unknown..

R.I.P MELBOURNE 🏙

“Dear #StandbyDan Supporters, 

- March 20th Lockdown announced (to flatten the curve) 

- May 27th (single digit cases) we were the envy of the world! 

- June 6th - Zero cases (all our hard work paid off) 

- June 11th - 10,000 + BLM protest (allegedly only 1 person tested positive no transmission “allegedly”)

- June 17th (20+ cases) hotel quarantine breaches (kept hidden from the public)  

- June 21st (he eases restrictions gyms + restaurants open up) 

- June 29th (He locked down hot spot suburbs and postcodes) 

- July 4th - Locked down 9 public house towers (108 cases) 

- July 6th - Borders close

- July 8th - Stage 3 “it’s only 6 weeks, and we can find that Covid-normal” 

- August 4th - 4 weeks into stage 3.... (cases rise to 700+) 

- August 5th - Stage 4 “We do this once! We do this properly - if we do this right we won’t have to be locked down till Christmas, we can find that “Covid Norm” 

- August 30th - “State of Emergency extension does NOT mean I want to keep anyone locked down for the next 6 months, we need these powers for simple mask + quarantine laws, to ensure a Covid normal for 2021 until we get that vaccine and administer it to each and every single Victorian!” 

- September 1st - State of Emergency powers passes upper house! 

- September 6th -
Stage 4 Extended till September 28th. 
Curfew extended till October 26th 
*** Curfew won’t be lifted until we record less than 5 cases a day for 14 consecutive days!!!! 
Stage 3 likely to last till Christmas! 

AKA Another 4 months of lockdown 🙄 

LIES LIES and more LIES

How on Earth do you support this incompetent brainwashing compulsive liar! 

1. Arrogantly refuses Morrison’s advice of ADF help for quarantine and continuously denies they offered help when all evidence goes against this. He hates Morrison, and chose to handle it himself which has caused this second wave! 
(All the other premiers used the ADF) 🤷🏻‍♂️

2. Kept the Cedar meats outbreak hidden from the public for two whole weeks (coincidentally they’re Labor’s major sponsors, what a surprise) 

3. Has a judicial inquiry into his complete shambolic hotel quarantine blunder (shuts down parliament) shuts down our voice, our democracy! 

4. Continuously deflects the blame onto us, “we all know someone not doing the right thing” then blames family gatherings and bbq’s, then blames health care workers, then blames people going to work. 🤦🏻‍♂️

5. Allows a BLM protest “well, you can’t stop 10,000 people if they want to protest, you simply can’t” totally legal! But now protesting is illegal, when it’s a protest AGAINST HIM!” 

6. Denies he seen the video of the pregnant lady being arrested... says it was Vic Pol’s orders not his 😂.. the video went viral 7 million views but oh no.. the Premier didn’t see it! 

7. Closes churches and gyms, but allows bottle o’s and gambling to stay open (because it’s for our health) 🤦🏻‍♂️

8. 85% of Covid deaths have been from aged care homes.. he’s had 10 weeks to fix eradicating transmission into the aged care homes.. and hasn’t! 
He simply has not protected our elderly! And he has single handedly destroyed our economy! 

9. Ignores 50 letters from doctors and most recently said he did not “concur” with 13 of Australia’s top doctors because their views oppose the CHO, (they simply called for debate and openness of scientific evidence to be made public, a team of economists, psychologists, epidemiologists) 🤷🏻‍♂️ he refuses! 

10. Not once! Has he even apologised to us! 

🤦🏻‍♂️ It’s like a girlfriend that keeps telling me she won’t cheat on me again again repeatedly and I keep believing her lies! 

Have some respect for yourselves people! 😂

I can’t understand how... Politics aside... you stand by this absolute lying, slippery bastard. 

You’re standing by a man completely destroying the worlds most liveable city! 

Enjoy wearing your masks in 30+ degree weather! 
I hope you feel REAL healthy danfans! 

After the borders open, hundreds of thousands will leave this state, business’ will go bankrupt... you will leave US and IT in ruins.  

So yes, continue standing by this dickhead people 
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

R.I.P Victoria 🙏🏼

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Peter said:

In dans defense, he handled that well. 

just need the judge to ask for the records to be volunteered.

The problem is as Credlin was saying the judge cant ask for the phone records I don't think

On 07/10/2020 at 8:45 PM, Peter said:

Suicide data / story. 

Yeh but no, that doesn’t appear to be true. The figures in the story you’ve posted Peter don’t seem to match the figures from Victoria’s Coroner report on suicide. They’re out by a couple of hundred.

B98434CD-43E4-47C2-83C6-72C192A330E7.jpeg

Edited by Mike Del