Interesting to see that 2 of the pharma companies developing a covid-19 vaccine have released their blueprint for the trial of their vaccines.

Lot of Blah, blah blah in the news article I read but the main points I got were

• Between them the test will be on about 75000 people with 50% getting the shot and 50% getting a placebo.
  • Absolutely no guarantee that the vaccine will be available this year.  It might happen or it might not.  Moderna doesn't expect analysis of the results till late December.  Pfizer's plan has no timeline for when analysis might be available - Might be as early as October if the vaccine is exceptionally good or it might be later.
  • Some independant experts have expressed surprise at the criteria required for the vaccine to be considered "Successful".  
  • Everybody is going to need 2 shots about 4 weeks apart for maximum effectiveness.  

"In the first half of next year, at least maybe until Labor Day [in September] next year, I anticipate that the world is going to be massively supply-constrained, meaning not enough vaccine to vaccinate everybody," Bancel of Moderna said.

Heres the link if you can access it (it might be behind a paywall)

The Link

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

Denis Napthine
Victorian Premier 2013-2014

“Daniel Andrews gets no sympathy from me,” says Denis Napthine. “We see evidence every day of the total and utter blundering and mismanagement that led us here.

“My view is that, tragically, Daniel Andrews and his team totally mismanaged hotel quarantine and contact tracing, inflicting disaster on Victoria’s community, its economy, its businesses, and costing hundreds of lives.”

Napthine, who studied epidemiology for his Masters in Veterinary Science at Melbourne University, says he had been alarmed from the start when he discovered “bouncers” were being used to guard travellers in hotel quarantine.

“They chose completely the wrong people for a vital biosecurity role,” he says.

Napthine recognises that Andrews has displayed persistence in his daily media conferences, but says that did not count against the gravity of the original mistakes.

“It’s a bit like an arsonist, having lit the fire, seeking praise for trying to put it out,” he adds.

Ouch. But true. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Peter said:

Here are the comments or thoughts from other Victorian premiers.  

sadly I’d love to know what steve bracks thinks.  

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/hard-calls-for-captains-former-leaders-run-the-rule-over-dan-andrews-20200918-p55wym.html

Read a couple, but does it just go on all the way through with Lib's slamming him & Labor supporting him?

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

No they all (Both labor and Liberal) pretty much agree on 2 things. Quarantine & tracing has been a disaster under his leadership. 

How did you get that out of the very first leader, Brumby? Or Rudd? Did you post the wrong article?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guess who was at Campbelltown Golf Club last Wednesday?  Me..... Luckily I did not go into the club and also tees off before the time. 

This could cause a big outbreak. 

FM

————————-

#BREAKING: PUBLIC HEALTH ANNOUNCEMENT 🚨 Campbelltown Golf Club is one of a few venues that have since had a confirmed COVID19 case attend. 

NSW Health are urging anyone who was at the venue in Glen Alpine from 16 September, 2pm-4.30pm in the TAB area for more than one hour to get tested and self-isolate for 14 days.

Visit www.nsw.health.gov for more information.

#REPOST - PUBLIC HEALTH ALERT:  NSW Health is alerting the public to the following locations in Western and South Western Sydney and the South Coast visited by a person who tested positive for COVID-19 today. 

We are also warning people who may have taken taxis in Western and South Western Sydney to be alert for symptoms.

Anyone who attended the following venues for a least one hour during the following times is considered to be a close contact and is being directed to get tested and isolate for 14 days. They must stay isolated for the entire period, even if a negative test result is received:
• Campbelltown Golf Club, Glen Alpine– 16 September, 2pm-4.30pm in the TAB area
• Milton Ulladulla Ex Servos Club – 12 September, 2pm-6.15pm
• Carlo’s Italian Restaurante Bar & Seafood, Ulladulla – 12 September, 8pm-9.30pm
• Bannisters Pavilion Rooftop Bar & Grill, Mollymook – 13 September, 12.30pm-2.15pm

Anyone who attended the above venues at these times for less than one hour is considered a casual contact.

Anyone who attended the following venues at the specified times below is also considered a casual contact. Casual contacts must monitor for symptoms and get tested immediately if they develop. After testing, they must remain in isolation until a negative test result is received:
• Picnic Point Bowling Club – 18 September, 3pm-6pm
• Campbelltown Golf Club course Glen Alpine– 16 September,9.30am-2pm

Early investigations into the source of infection indicate the case may have acquired the virus at Liverpool Hospital. Contact tracing is underway. The person reports having the COVIDSafe App, which is being used to help identify contacts.

The person also drove a taxi for a number of days while potentially infectious. 
People who caught a taxi on September 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 in the following suburbs must monitor for symptoms and if any develop immediately get tested:
• Moorebank
• Bankstown
• Chipping Norton
• Liverpool
• Lidcombe
• Warwick Farm
• Milperra

NSW Health is working with the person and 13CABS to identify passengers. NSW Health reminds people when taking taxis or rideshare to sit in the back and wear a mask.

COVID-19 testing clinics can be found here: https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/how-to-protect-yourself-and-others/clinics, or call your GP.

13 hours ago, Peter said:

No they all (Both labor and Liberal) pretty much agree on 2 things. Quarantine & tracing has been a disaster under his leadership. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Guessing you read it differently to me. 

How did you read it?

Could you please outline which parts of their comments say that quarantine & tracing has been a disaster?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
Just now, Peter said:

LOL 😂. You actually think I answer to you? 

oh please. 

So you post an article, totally misrepresent what was said, blame others for misreading it, then tell them they are beneath you. 

Have your fun.

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Haha.  You crack me up.  Must be awesome having zero idea what’s going on in another state, yet think you are an expert.  

No I'm not an expert on what's going on in Vic, and lately I've kept out of it. From what's come to light in the inquiry, I think he's done a shit job too (for that part), but I just couldn't see anything in that article from Brumby or Rudd that related to what you'd said they said.

I'm actually really interested to know how I should be interpreting what they said to come up with them saying it was a disaster?

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No I'm not an expert on what's going on in Vic, and lately I've kept out of it. From what's come to light in the inquiry, I think he's done a shit job too (for that part), but I just couldn't see anything in that article from Brumby or Rudd that related to what you'd said they said.

I'm actually really interested to know how I should be interpreting what they said to come up with them saying it was a disaster?

Have you even read the article?? 

Just now, more said:

Have you even read the article?? 

Yes. Maybe you could highlight in here where he says the quarantine & tracing was a disaster?

John Brumby
Victorian Premier 2007-2010

“Every crisis is different,” says John Brumby. “The one thing that is constant is that people expect you to lead.

“I imagine it is a bit like being in the front line of a war, and every day you try to inch forward, another inch and another inch, believing there is light at the end of the tunnel."

Brumby was premier when Victoria exploded into flame on Black Saturday - February 7, 2009. For the next three months he spent every day in the fire zone while also planning Victoria’s longer-term recovery from the disaster.

Andrews, he says, has met all the critical elements for leading through crisis: the requirement to communicate clearly, to share as much information as possible, to be available to the public, to have a clear plan, to display agile decision-making and to show empathy for those suffering.

“He has made unthinkably tough decisions and he has withstood unbelievable pressures to roll over on those measures.

“He has remained very clear that it is about protecting the welfare of the public health and hospital systems, and the long-term welfare of Victorians.”

Brumby says Victorians only need to look at the United States unravelling, a second wave spiralling out of control in Britain and Europe, India suffering and Israel imposing a harsh curfew to recognise the value of Andrews’ approach.

“I believe that when people look back, knowing how incredibly tough it was and how there was so much anger and disappointment, they will recognise that at the end of the day, we will have emerged into a better position than just about any other place in the world,” he says.

15 hours ago, Peter said:

How can you say they agree on quarantine and contract tracing? Some of them don’t even mention the quarantine or contract tracing. 

edit... don’t worry Peter, just noticed Ex’s reply. 

Edited by Mike Del

How is it possible that people can still claim Dan Andrews is doing a good job? 

At what point does it have to get to before the sycophants who shower him with praise realise that the smooth talker with a savvy social media team has completely botched Victoria’s response? 

The facts speak for themselves: 

90 percent of Australian Covid-19 related deaths have occurred in Victoria. 

75 percent of Australian cases have occurred in Victoria. 

Victoria’s economy is projected to lose at least 4 years of growth. Thousands of businesses have already gone under and more will go under. 

Victoria’s unemployment rate is rising past 7.1 per cent. Is this what a good job looks like? 

Let’s run an eye over the government’s mishaps from the last six months. 

To keep things fair, the only sources of information are from non-Murdoch related media, thereby nullifying the predictable retort that this is just right wing bias. 

So, here we go. A dozen monumental errors from ‘good job’ Dan and his government. 

1. People in charge of hotel quarantine were given equity and diversity training but given no formal instructions on how to use personal protective equipment. (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-21/returned-travellers-describe-dehumanising-hotel-quarantine/12581884)

2. Quarantined hotel guests were allowed out into the community while awaiting their coronavirus test results. (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-17/victorian-hotel-quarantine-inquiry-deputy-chief-health-officer/12672058)

3. Astonishingly, like, absolutely mind-bogglingly unbelievably, some people were allowed to leave quarantine even if they were COVID-positive at the end of their stay (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-17/victorian-hotel-quarantine-inquiry-deputy-chief-health-officer/12672058)

4. Victoria was repeatedly offered support by the Australian Defence Force that it refuted (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-15/victoria-coronavirus-hotel-inquiry-hears-government-adf-support/12665402)

5. Dan Andrews then lied about it, and continues to lie about it, despite it being proven (https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/adf-available-police-chief-diary-note-contradicts-andrews-on-military-20200917-p55wie.html)

6. Andrews enforced a curfew on Melbourne despite there being no consultation with the CMO and no public health advice to support its enforcement (https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/public-trust-eroded-by-lack-of-clarity-on-curfew-20200911-p55uo2.html)

7. He then claimed it was to support Victoria Police. When Victoria Police were asked about the curfew, they said that they did not request it nor seek it (https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/i-was-never-consulted-police-did-not-request-victorian-curfew-20200910-p55u7j.html)

8. Our contact tracing system has been exposed as woefully inadequate compared to other states (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/04/victorias-contact-tracing-effort-buckles-under-the-weight-of-covid-19-cases)

9. During the first wave in March, the government only had 14 contact tracers and was the least well-resourced state in the country to deal with the global pandemic. Labor have been in power in Victoria for 16 of the last 20 years so they cannot pin Liberal cuts on this one (https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/top-bureaucrats-warned-a-year-ago-victoria-s-key-public-health-team-was-starved-of-money-and-staff-20200729-p55ggh.html)

10. A security firm hired to help oversee hotel quarantine only had 4 full time staff. Part of the push for private firms over Victoria Police or the ADF was to please the United Workers Union.  (https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/security-firm-with-four-full-time-staff-contracted-to-work-at-quarantine-hotels-20200902-p55rsh.html)

11. The government has refused to release its modelling despite desperate calls from medical, business and cultural figures for the modelling to be released to allow independent experts to review the assumptions of the road map (https://www.afr.com/policy/economy/later-health-experts-back-business-outcry-20200907-p55t35)

12. Chief Medical Officer Brett Sutton has been shut out of key decisions, including matters related to hotel quarantine (https://www.smh.com.au/national/health-officials-shut-sutton-out-of-top-pandemic-response-20200910-p55u91.html) 

Notice how every single one of these were direct government decisions. People like to claim that the 'poor' government could not help it if a security guard did the wrong thing. That might be so, but look at the decisions that the government was responsible for prior to and after this and it is clear to see that Dan's so-called good job is actually the very reason we are where we are.

The common question from Dan’s desperate defenders is ‘who do you think would be doing a better job then?’ Simple answer: every other Premier in Australia.

Not my writing. Apparently some guy in Queensland wrote it. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Not my writing. Apparently some guy in Queensland wrote it. 

It will be an interesting week with Dan fronting up to his own enquiry - the one that stopped him or any of his team commenting on hotel quarantine (which let's be honest was why he launched it) when it all turned to crap. I did like the 14 people who went to a birthday party getting fined but not the 5 families who regularly visited each other and resulted in 35 positive tests - apparently fining them would have been a disincentive to provide information as to who else they had been meeting with.

Meanwhile here in QLD something miraculous happened in the ACT because the border wall suddenly vanished.  There is no clear reason having been given as to why that happened because nothing actually changed apart from SA allowing ACT visitors in and the NT allowing people from NSW in.  Oh and we have an election shortly so possibly it now allows Fed ALP MPs to campaign here without having to do quarantine first. 

#confusedcitizen

28 minutes ago, truck said:

Oh and we have an election shortly so possibly it now allows Fed ALP MPs to campaign here without having to do quarantine first. 

Nice pick up, didn’t think of that 

44 minutes ago, roxii said:

Nice pick up, didn’t think of that 

Only 3 of the 151 mp’s are from Canberra, and I’ll guarantee you they won’t be coming to Qld.

MP’s will be able to come to Qld without quarantining here, just as long as they leave their electorate and spent the 2 weeks in the ACT first without crossing the border into NSW or Vic.

Edited by Mike Del
1 hour ago, truck said:

Meanwhile here in QLD something miraculous happened in the ACT because the border wall suddenly vanished.  There is no clear reason having been given as to why that happened because nothing actually changed apart from SA allowing ACT visitors in and the NT allowing people from NSW in.  Oh and we have an election shortly so possibly it now allows Fed ALP MPs to campaign here without having to do quarantine first. 

#confusedcitizen

Newspaper and tv news is reporting up until now there was no screening at Canberra airport, either by the Gov or the airlines. Following negotiations between SA ,Qld & ACT from now on the ACT gov and airlines have agreed to screen all passengers travelling to Qld & SA to ensure they haven’t been to NSW or Vic in the previous two weeks. This also means Tas may also come onboard sooner.

Edited by Mike Del
51 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Newspaper and tv news is reporting up until now there was no screening at Canberra airport, either by the Gov or the airlines. Following negotiations between SA ,Qld & ACT from now on the ACT gov and airlines have agreed to screen all passengers travelling to Qld & SA to ensure they haven’t been to NSW or Vic in the previous two weeks. This also means Tas may also come onboard sooner.

You're kidding right?  Up until now AP was absolutely clear that the NSW/ACT borders would not open any time soon.  It was way too much risk.  She did not at any point say 'well if they do XYZ then we'll let them in'.  And all of a sudden the risk can be managed.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with the border opening up, just struggle to understand how decisions can be made in such a contradictory manner.  And Albanese will be up here before you know it.

On Tas equally weird - Tas has it's border shut until 1 Dec, I have work there and haven't been since Feb and can't travel as I'm not an essential worker.  At the moment I'd have to do two weeks quarantine in both directions I think.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, truck said:

You're kidding right?  Up until now AP was absolutely clear that the NSW/ACT borders would not open any time soon.  It was way too much risk.  She did not at any point say 'well if they do XYZ then we'll let them in'.  And all of a sudden the risk can be managed.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with the border opening up, just struggle to understand how decisions can be made in such a contradictory manner.  And Albanese will be up here before you know it.

On Tas equally weird - Tas has it's border shut until 1 Dec, I have work there and haven't been since Feb and can't travel as I'm not an essential worker.  At the moment I'd have to do two weeks quarantine in both directions I think.

No I’m not kidding Truck.

You said there’s been no clear reason given, I just told you what’s been reported on the news. 

They mentioned the guy back in Aug from a hotspot in western Sydney who drove to Canberra then flew to Brisbane. The ACT has just started screening passengers at the airport to stop this happening from today..... Qld gov said they’d give the ACT a week to bed in the new process, then border open to ACT from Fri.

Edited by Mike Del
19 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So you post an article, totally misrepresent what was said, blame others for misreading it, then tell them they are beneath you. 

Have your fun.

Been happening all through the back half of this thread, post some political comment or article.  Get questioned.  Claim who ever questions doesn't understand, is biased, can't comprehend.  Questioner then clarifies.  Peter or More realize they actually doesn't have a good answer so posts next article, rant, diatribe and move on.  It has made what was once a a really useful informative thread into a bullshit back and forth with a really low signal to noise ratio. 

Edited by Toolish
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Been happening all through the back half of this thread, post some political comment or article.  Get questioned.  Claim who ever questions doesn't understand, is biased, can't comprehend.  Questioner then clarifies.  Peter or More realize they actually doesn't have a good answer so posts next article, rant, diatribe and move on.  It has made what was once a a really useful informative thread into a bullshit back and forth with a really low signal to noise ratio. 

On a positive note, you and I can now cross the border for recreational purposes - any purposes at all. 

You can golf, we can MTB at Coomie, I can paddle on the river.....  Good times 🚴‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🚣‍♀️

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Toolish said:

LOL please.  You guys crack me up thinking I need to justify anything to you.

I don't even know your real names.

You could be a Russian bot for all I know.  Especially given most of you haven't even done a triathlon in years and this is a tri forum.

Exactly how Russian bots behave.

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Especially given most of you haven't even done a triathlon in years and this is a tri forum.

No this is a non-triathlon related area.  For non-triathlon related topics.  And just because I havn't done a triathlon in over a decade doesn't mean that I can't be here. 

Now go back and crawl under your bridge  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Peter said:

I don't even know your real names.

You could be a Russian bot for all I know.  

Exactly how Russian bots behave.

Just now, -- AJ -- said:

No this is a non-triathlon related area.  For non-triathlon related topics.  And just because I havn't done a triathlon in over a decade doesn't mean that I can't be here. 

Maybe "Peter" is the Russian bot.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

The truth hurts. 

This is still a triathlon forum and most don't even do the sport.

58 minutes ago, Peter said:

The truth hurts. 

When I joined this forum 10 years ago, most members were active triathletes.  Have you ever wondered why most of them have left?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

The truth hurts. 

So?

29 minutes ago, Rob said:

When I joined this forum 10 years ago, most members were active triathletes.  Have you ever wondered why most of them have left?

18 minutes ago, goughy said:

So?

Moving to its own thread 

Edited by Peter
12 minutes ago, Peter said:

Because the sport is about

bucket listers in do a few Ironmans and gone  

they settle down and don’t have the time to race.

they go to other sports

And then there are those that just talk about them.  Most here now days. 

And here I was thinking that we all got into the sport for the social coffees and beers.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Rob said:

When I joined this forum 10 years ago, most members were active triathletes

define "active" ?   Last 12 months? 

(in the current COVID-clime

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Back to Covid.

Numbers down to 11 cases today in Victoria.

And self-important idiots who don't give a f#$k about anybody else up another 15-20.  At about $5000 a fine its an expensive trip to get groceries from anywhere thats not your local shop