• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

Not going to comment on Vic, as I don't live there, so can't have an opinion (and I totally understand you're sentiment regarding that as you guys are doing it tough).  But if from Vic and support the govt then you're opinion is crap too?

I have friends up here that want to see PH premier, or even PM.  Doesn't make me dislike them, hate them, or treat them with disdain.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 2

Lock down sucks, it is really tough. Lock down also works. When you are locked down things that would normally slide off your back, become huge and hard to let go.

It is hard to understand when you are not in it, though its okay to have an opinion, but it should be done with empathy.

When we were in lock down in the USA I was very frustrated and would find papers that helped me with my angst. There is always a group of Doctors who offer a dissenting view. Many people on here made lots of observations about the USA and their handling of it when it was still not real for Australia and I think its fine to comment.

But when you have your freedoms and employment it pays to be sensitive to those in the thick off it. Question, what are the options that Andrews should consider?

• Like 4

I think you guys are misinterpreting my comment about non-Victorians commenting.  Of course your opinions are valid, but there were a couple of posts from interstate folk that made out they know more about our situation than we do.  

While I was typing, BB posted and put it much better than me!  

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, goughy said:

Not going to comment on Vic, as I don't live there, so can't have an opinion (and I totally understand you're sentiment regarding that as you guys are doing it tough).  But if from Vic and support the govt then you're opinion is crap too?

I have friends up here that want to see PH premier, or even PM.  Doesn't make me dislike them, hate them, or treat them with disdain.

Who/where has it been said if you are from Vic and support the government 'your opinion is crap' 

What I have been trying to point out if you aren't living it you can't really appreciate what it is like. And if you are living it but are fortunate enough to be living somewhere where you can still swim and enjoy runs down the coast etc then you need to show some consideration for many who are less fortunate. 

Saying it isn't a problem because you have plenty of money saved up doesn't show a lot of consideration either. 

A few of the posts smack of 'let them eat cake....' 

As for my attitude towards Dictator Dan, I thought he was doing a good job until he created this disaster. 

You don't get to play with matches and burn a house down and then think you have done a good job because you are putting out the fire you started... At everyone else's expense.. 

On the positive side, if you follow NSW prior trajectory you should be in single figures in a few days.  What that means though for you guys since Dan has set a pretty high bar for opening up is anyone's guess.  Even since that day and with the Victorian interloper giving us a new "spike" the maximum cases we have had is 22 on 11 Aug, and even since then 2/3rds of days have been single figures (again incl returned travellers) 

These are NSW's figures from the first spike. (these also include returned travellers) 

7-Apr 49
8-Apr 48
9-Apr 39
10-Apr 49
11-Apr 25
12-Apr 7
13-Apr 9
14-Apr 7
15-Apr 16
16-Apr 11
17-Apr 29
18-Apr 10
19-Apr 21
20-Apr 6
21-Apr 6
22-Apr 5
23-Apr 5
24-Apr 7
25-Apr 12
26-Apr 8
27-Apr 2
28-Apr 5
29-Apr 11
30-Apr 2
1-May 9
2-May 5
3-May 4
4-May 1
5-May 3
6-May 9
7-May 3
8-May 4
9-May 5
10-May 2
11-May 1
12-May 6
13-May 4
14-May 8
15-May 0
16-May 3
17-May 1
18-May 1
19-May 2
20-May 4
21-May 2
22-May 3
23-May 3
24-May 1
25-May 2
26-May 2
27-May 2
28-May 1
29-May 2
30-May 0
31-May 3
1-Jun 3
2-Jun 6
3-Jun 0
4-Jun 2
5-Jun 4
6-Jun 0
7-Jun 0
8-Jun 3
9-Jun 2
10-Jun 3
11-Jun 0
12-Jun 3
13-Jun 4
14-Jun 9
15-Jun 3
16-Jun 3
17-Jun 1
18-Jun 3
19-Jun 7
20-Jun 1
21-Jun 5
22-Jun 2
23-Jun 1
24-Jun 1
25-Jun 4
26-Jun 6
27-Jun 6
28-Jun 3
29-Jun 7
30-Jun 5

I live in Melbourne. I am satisfied with the job the Victorian Government is doing. I acknowledge they have made some mistakes, I have worked in Project Management far too long to believe they wouldn't. I believe that their primary driver for decision making is the health and well being of all Victorians. I am pleased the numbers are down to 40 odd a day from 700. I am relieved that the risk to my elderly parents is reducing and they are no longer living in daily fear like they were.

I have no time for whinny sooks that want to spend hours harping on about how this measure or that measure is wrong or whatever else they want to complain about to demonstrate their dubious mental superiority. I don't think I will be looking at this thread anymore, I have better things to do with my time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
14 hours ago, more said:

More proof a lot of the public are morons. I guess that's no surprise with highest rating shows are MAFS etc.. But hey they relected a moron that flushed $1B of our dollars down the drain, and has now put countless people out of work and destroyed so many lives.. so what do I know.. All heil Comrade Dan. 

13 hours ago, more said:

You think he has done a good job? Geez I'd hate to see what a bad job looks like... 

1 hour ago, more said:

Who/where has it been said if you are from Vic and support the government 'your opinion is crap' 

What I have been trying to point out if you aren't living it you can't really appreciate what it is like. And if you are living it but are fortunate enough to be living somewhere where you can still swim and enjoy runs down the coast etc then you need to show some consideration for many who are less fortunate. 

Saying it isn't a problem because you have plenty of money saved up doesn't show a lot of consideration either. 

A few of the posts smack of 'let them eat cake....' 

These may not be 'your opinion is crap', but it is pretty close to it.

"The public are morons."

"You think he has done a good job? Geez I'd hate to see what a bad job looks like... "

Not once has it been said that you are wrong for feeling that Dan is not doing a good job. 

I have said that you are wrong for assuming that everyone should think Dan is not doing a good job. 

As for the 'Let them eat cake' I get that is aimed at me, and I understand my post could have come off that way and it was not my intention.  I was trying to outline why personally, for me, life is ok with Dan's measures.  I am not trying to think for others, I was relaying why I would respond in the 70% that were positive on that survey.

• Like 2

So playing the bully card against the PM didn't work, then lets try playing the victim card with a few crocodile tears for good measure...

"Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was visibly distressed during an emotional address this morning where she revealed she had "lost loved ones" during the pandemic.

After days of being slammed over her state's border closure – culminating in an accusation of "bullying" against PM Scott Morrison – Ms Palaszczuk's composure appeared to crumble after being peppered with questions by reporters.

"These are difficult decisions and they're heartbreaking," she said.

"I'm human just like everyone else. These issues hurt me deeply.

"They hurt me deeply because during this pandemic I have lost loved ones as well. I know exactly what people are going through, OK? Thanks," she said as her voice broke, before abruptly cutting off the press conference and walking away from gathered media."

The QLD border game is weird. NSW has this under control as do the ACT and they are subject to border restrictions.

I am again impacted this in a huge way as one of my family support members had to up and leave for QLD for 6 months due to the border closure.

Before that I was able to get out for a ride or a jog in the morning, now nothing. I love my kids but it would have been nice to be able to just be able to pop out for half an hour. Virtual lock down

Edited by BarryBevan

Maybe this is why NSW is still open for business:

extract from the Australian:

NSW has invested massively in digital innovation. Five years ago, it established the Data Analytics Centre, a silo-busting, cross-government hub capable of analysing all the information available to government. Last year it launched the Digital Design System, essentially a template for the efficient delivery of every kind of government service.

When the virus arrived, the NSW public service had the culture and capacity to hit the deck running. It was able to monitor the mobility of residents, particularly in the early stages, a strong proxy for the spread the contagion.

With real-time information about transmission, authorities set up COVID pop-up testing clinics in potential hotspots. Those who tested negative were sent a text releasing them from isolation.

The digital infrastructure made it possible to rapidly and efficiently track and trace, issue border permits, dispense business grants, roll out QR codes to register patrons at restaurants and many other mundane but useful measures to keep the pandemic at bay while being open for business.

End

1 minute ago, Peter said:

As several have said, NSW was way ahead of all other states. 

Especially given the numbers of population, density of that population, plus the larger number of inbound travelers both pre and post quarantine measures. 

10 cases today, 6 are quarantined travelers and the other 4 are known contacts but  the media are still pushing scary headlines. 

Dan Andrews Media Advisor and his chief of staff both resigned last week. 

what came as a surprise for me is he has 50 staff. I wouldn’t think even the PM would have than many personal staff. 

40 minutes ago, Peter said:

what came as a surprise for me is he has 50 staff. I wouldn’t think even the PM would have than many personal staff. 

I reckon he probably has a bigger security detail than the PM at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Are the labs releasing the number of false positives in tests?  Is it 1% or 40% or more? 

Those numbers come off the next day's totals. So if you recorded 70 positives today, and they found today there were 25 false positives previously recorded, the result would show as 45 today.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Toolish said:

As for the 'Let them eat cake' I get that is aimed at me, and I understand my post could have come off that way and it was not my intention.  I was trying to outline why personally, for me, life is ok with Dan's measures.  I am not trying to think for others, I was relaying why I would respond in the 70% that were positive on that survey.

I suspect the let them eat cake comment was aimed at me because I have the "luxury" of swimming in the 11 degree waters of Port Phillip Bay.  It is not really that luxurious but I am glad I live in Frankston and I choose to make the best of the situation. 

I too am going to stop reading this thread, it is depressing and unproductive and I have much better things to do. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Well now that bush fire crisis and corona have kind of shown the feds don't actually do anything and the states do all the work it makes sense that he have lots more staff

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, -H- said:

It is not really that luxurious but I am glad I live in Frankston and I choose to make the best of the situation. 

I too am going to stop reading this thread, it is depressing and unproductive and I have much better things to do. 

As I mentioned previously,  I have not been  employed since February. From reading this thread since it's inception, it's pretty clear that some people have been more emotionally affected by the impact of the restrictions that politicians are asking the public to comply with than others. Somebody has got to wear the blame!!!!!

Maybe it's because it's the time of life I find myself in, but not working has given me a new perspective on not " sweating the small stuff". ( not trying to trivialize Covid, more about how I deal with it).

Trannies is an interesting social experiment. Despite all having a common interest in Triathlon, there are some people here that I have a connection with, and some that I have absolutely polar opposite views with.

No two people are the same, but compassion and empathy have been sorely missed by some over the past few months. The level of self-absorption sometimes astounds me. But then again....it's a forum for triathletes.😁😁

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Well now that bush fire crisis and corona have kind of shown the feds don't actually do anything and the states do all the work it makes sense that he have lots more staff

They have different roles. How would covid be going without jobkeeper/seeker?

Don't encourage the Commonwealth to take up and interfere in state responsibilities, they try do that enough!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Peter said:

Not so Peter. PM Morrison has at least 52 personal staff. He gave 52 of his personal staff $1.4 million in pay rises last Xmas. That’s an average pay rise of $27,000 to each staff member. Actually we have his staff the $1.4 million in pay rises I guess.

A678777D-0A7F-48B8-BB00-8332CC5D6B31.png

Edited by Mike Del
On 10/09/2020 at 6:57 PM, dazaau said:

70% of people think he is doing a good job Peter - to brighten your evening

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8518-victorian-stage-4-restrictions-september-10-2020-202009091315

Well its appears that when you do a poll of just Victorians you get a massively different result. 

if an election was held today, Dan would get slammed   

Another reason he won’t be premier come Xmas  

https://www.facebook.com/Sunrise/videos/1559934434191174/

E46CD8A6-4ED3-4A9E-AECA-E2637D00CBD0.jpeg

42 minutes ago, dazaau said:

They have different roles. How would covid be going without jobkeeper/seeker?

Don't encourage the Commonwealth to take up and interfere in state responsibilities, they try do that enough!

Imagine if we had less job keeper seeker and more jobs because they funded state and council long overdue projects, infrastructure etc, invested in renewables a decent digital economy, space launch plus others

36 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Not so Peter. PM Morrison has at least 52 personal staff. He gave 52 of his personal staff $1.4 million in pay rises last Xmas. That’s an average pay rise of $27,000 to each staff member. Actually we have his staff the $1.4 million in pay rises I guess.

Governments are the ultimate perpetual motion machines, esp. when it comes to backroom public servants.  They can create jobs out of thin air for themselves, just by dreaming up another piece of red-tape that the rest of the country have to respond to.

49 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

That stated 52 staff were paid above the top of their classification. How many additional does he have that aren't?

47 minutes ago, Peter said:

Well its appears that when you do a poll of just Victorians you get a massively different result. 

if an election was held today, Dan would get slammed   

Another reason he won’t be premier come Xmas  

https://www.facebook.com/Sunrise/videos/1559934434191174/

E46CD8A6-4ED3-4A9E-AECA-E2637D00CBD0.jpeg

32 minutes ago, roxii said:

Good time to do a phone poll. You know everyone is home.  :lol:

Yep.  And you can target rather than clicking yes or no on a newspaper webpage. 

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Governments are the ultimate perpetual motion machines, esp. when it comes to backroom public servants.  They can create jobs out of thin air for themselves, just by dreaming up another piece of red-tape that the rest of the country have to respond to.

You are not wrong there CN, but those (at least 52) shouldn’t be confused with the public service. They are Morrison’s personal staff from the Prime Minister’s Office, mainly political advisers installed  by Morisson or the party (but paid by us) They are are not public servants, they are there to serve Morrison and his party’s political agendas. The Office of the Prime Minister and Cabinet are public servants and serve the public.

Edited by Mike Del
6 minutes ago, chris said:

If a death toll 7 times ours, for a population only 1/3, and an economy that has sunk more than ours, is "getting it correct in the end" then I suppose so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Imagine if we had less job keeper seeker and more jobs because they funded state and council long overdue projects, infrastructure etc, invested in renewables a decent digital economy, space launch plus others

I'm pretty sure it would be the worst thing ever. You can't go to work, the business you work in needs to fire you - but it's ok, the governemnt is investing in infrastructure you can't get a job building. 

They could do more small projects, particularly maintenance etc but they aren't exciting announcements so they tend to get overlooked. NSW and VIC can't take much more big projects, there is a shortage on rock for concrete, engineers and to it's not like its unskilled labour we are talking about. Digging is done with Tunnel Boring Machines now, and so are the concrete tunnel installations. 

If those of us with jobs want others to be unable to work to look after all our health, we need to support them. We need to pay for the sacrifice they have to make.

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, dazaau said:

I'm pretty sure it would be the worst thing ever. You can't go to work, the business you work in needs to fire you - but it's ok, the governemnt is investing in infrastructure you can't get a job building. 

They could do more small projects, particularly maintenance etc but they aren't exciting announcements so they tend to get overlooked. NSW and VIC can't take much more big projects, there is a shortage on rock for concrete, engineers and to it's not like its unskilled labour we are talking about. Digging is done with Tunnel Boring Machines now, and so are the concrete tunnel installations. 

If those of us with jobs want others to be unable to work to look after all our health, we need to support them. We need to pay for the sacrifice they have to make.

It’s what every credible economist says to do along with some Job keeper and seeker type support 

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/joe-hildebrand-daniel-andrews-is-punishing-victorians-with-unnecessary-hardship/news-story/d8544d3dc87da1279402695dc4031122

"As I feel obliged to say in these heightened times, I am a Labor guy but there is absolutely no defence for a government that keeps marching its citizens over a cliff because it is too proud or ignorant to admit it is going in the wrong direction." 

"Mercifully the Victorian government is now setting up suburban and regional contact tracing hubs and sending health officials to NSW to learn the secrets of its extraordinary success. It is staggering it has taken so long but finally we seem to be getting a mature and intelligent approach from this state of dismay.

That is the difference between professionals and amateurs."

Wow, a Labor supporter who has enough critical thinking to recognise they have done a terrible job... 

It’s what every credible economist says to do along with some Job keeper and seeker type support 

Are you calling me non credible 😉 It's textbook, sure, but needs to be practical. You need to actually have something to build. In Vic we are out of big ideas that aren't crazy right now. Not to mention what we are building is all slipping behind or in disputes. Plus it takes years to get a big project off the ground. Will be too late.

Hopefully they invest billions in all the really important stuff they keep ignoring. The non exciting, but high value stuff. Plenty to do. How about a billions in public housing and road maintenance/upgrades.

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, dazaau said:

Are you calling me non credible 😉 It's textbook, sure, but needs to be practical. You need to actually have something to build. In Vic we are out of big ideas that aren't crazy right now. Not to mention what we are building is all slipping behind or in disputes. Plus it takes years to get a big project off the ground. Will be too late.

Hopefully they invest billions in all the really important stuff they keep ignoring. The non exciting, but high value stuff. Plenty to do. Good about a few billion in public housing and road maintenance/upgrades.

I have a carzy idea, a road that links the east and the west... was all ready to go and has already cost us $1B lol should be able to whip the ole plans out and get cracking quick smart

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, more said:

I have a carzy idea, a road that links the east and the west... was all ready to go and has already cost us $1B lol should be able to whip the ole plans out and get cracking quick smart

Ha ha. Wouldn't that be something 😂 I think there were even some detailed plans for that somewhere? 

Never happening under Dan.

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, dazaau said:

In Vic we are out of big ideas that aren't crazy right now.

I don't know, maybe a decent fibre based broadband scheme for Australia? That way a lot of people can actually do their work from home. A lot of the work to build that is semi/low skilled.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't know, maybe a decent fibre based broadband scheme for Australia? That way a lot of people can actually do their work from home. A lot of the work to build that is semi/low skilled.

Where are people unable to work from home? Didn't think it was a problem, pretty much everyone in Melbourne is working from home. I don't know how regional internet goes through? 

30 minutes ago, more said:

Where are people unable to work from home? Didn't think it was a problem, pretty much everyone in Melbourne is working from home. I don't know how regional internet goes through? 

I'm lucky, I can see the mobile phone tower so can use that, but my ADSL is around 3Mb/s. There are people in our area less than 30km from the CBD that can't get ADSL, can't get NBN, and get no mobile signal. I thought the NBN was supposed to fix all that?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm lucky, I can see the mobile phone tower so can use that, but my ADSL is around 3Mb/s. There are people in our area less than 30km from the CBD that can't get ADSL, can't get NBN, and get no mobile signal. I thought the NBN was supposed to fix all that?

Dont you work for a company that is rolling it out?