• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

there is no justification for Anna not allowing all children to visit their dying father in Qld, period. Absolutely disgusts me and i would bet this will effect her election aspirations. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, CharlieB said:

I am from Melbourne. The vast majority I see are doing the right thing. Sure, some may stretch the 5k thing a tiny bit or whatever, but generally the public seem to be respectful of those around them and the situation.

Some friends in other parts say they see more examples of people not wearing masks etc, but that is not my experience.

There has been a shift this week though, and I am amazed that there isnt more unrest given the tone of the daily lectures we are subject too, when clearly the failures have been in policy and process..... and continue to be. 

What is more, we are subject to a curfew for no other reason than it makes policing easier.  I cannot comprehend that in 21st century Australia, one man can unilatterally decide to subject 5+ million of the citizens that he is paid 500k per year to govern FOR, to a lock down for nothing more than convenience.

I cannot comprehend that the best approach this goverment can come up with, is to force people to simply wait in their place while hundreds of thousands of them watch their, and their families futures, and all that they had ever worked for, waste away.

We know where the vulnerabilities lie and no one is arguing that core focus should not be protecting them. But to simply rule out alternate strategies for allowing businesses to reopen atleast in some capacity is border line criminal. With all the technology available to us, why is that a more strategic approach to allowing people to stagger visits to shopping centers cannot be realised for example.  That cannot be too hard. 

Why is it that we say to people dont go outside for more than an hour when one of the best things for your protection is vitamin D?  Why is it that if you install carpet for living you can continue to work but if you install curtains you cannot? Why does Dan get to sit in front of the media everyday and not wear a mask? Why is it that nowhere else in the world sees these steps as the ONLY possible way forward? Why is that statistics are not allowed to be questioned and analysed?

Well said. 

My only comment is that the vast majority are doing what they’ve been told to do - there’s a big difference between that and ‘doing the right thing’.

At the start there were loads of unknowns and we needed to be rightly cautious. That was 6 months ago.  Now we know way more and also understand the greater social and economic devastation. And yet the pollies aren’t evolving and just keep up the fear campaign enforced with intimidation for non compliance. Social distancing works, targeted protection of the vulnerable works. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Prince said:

there is no justification for Anna not allowing all children to visit their dying father in Qld, period. Absolutely disgusts me and i would bet this will effect her election aspirations. 

I wouldn’t bet on her losing. She’s controlling the message and people believe her - so no scrutiny on how we will get out of this and how bad the budget is. 

1 minute ago, truck said:

I wouldn’t bet on her losing. She’s controlling the message and people believe her - so no scrutiny on how we will get out of this and how bad the budget is. 

she may win, however, i can guarantee she will be hammered by the media, which i think is justly deserved, for her inconsistency in regards to the border exemptions.  I can guarantee you she is losing some support. I even supported her however, she has now lost me in the last few weeks with the blatant hypocrisy of who get exemptions in Qld. I mean FFS, Tom Hanks doesn't have a dying father here

Its just a pity that the opposition are so weak not to capitalise on this opportunity. 

I found it ironic listening to the NSW Premier the other morning whinging about Qld closing their borders to NSW, and there should be some leniency in certain locations and circumstances.  There's me being in a  Vic border community with no cases within hundreds of kilometers, experiencing NSW Govt lack of leniency for even allowing us to dip a toe in the River......

• Like 2

this article from The Australian reflects a bit how I feel at the moment.   I should add, I am fortunate in that I am unaffected either financially or emotionally by the crisis (except for not being able to attend my father's 90th birthday party this weekend which is just over the border):

This is not Australia’s first recession, nor will not be the last, but it is the first recession caused by deliberate actions taken by government.

Creating a depression-era economy is the expert classes’ solution to managing COVID-19.

Shutting down the economy and society through social distancing and travel restrictions was considered the only way to slow the spread of the virus.

The problem is that this man-made recession falls unevenly across Australians. It is the young, small businesses, the self-employed, and those in the productive, private parts of the economy who are being smashed, while public servants and bureaucrats have not only been sheltered but they have flourished.

Analysis by the Institute of Public Affairs of data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on September 2 estimated that in the June quarter total wages paid to private sector workers dropped by $5.9bn, whereas wages in the public sector rose by $768m.

Every state and territory is divided along these lines. In NSW, private sector wages fell $1.95bn while public rose $185m. In Victoria, the split was $1.91bn versus $88m, and in Queensland $1.66bn versus $136m.

In the ACT, which is home to public servants with the biggest snouts in the biggest trough in the nation, public sector wages rose an astonishing $277m. That accounts for more than a third of the total public sector wage increase while the ACT accounts for less than 2 per cent of Australia’s population.

Across the nation more than 22,000 jobs have been added to the public service since lockdowns began in March while more than 572,000 jobs have been destroyed in the private sector. This means that for every job added in the public sector, 26 have been lost elsewhere. And yet it is those in the public sector that decide when those in the private sector can return to work.

The divide goes on.

Young Australians have incurred 35 per cent of net job losses, even though they account for 15 per cent of the workforce. And they will need to pay back the forecast $1 trillion in debt that will be accumulated at the federal level alone over the next three years.

According to the ABS data, 35 per cent of small businesses reported that it would be difficult to meet financial commitments over the next three months, compared with 18 per cent of large businesses.

And a poll undertaken by the IPA in August found 65 per cent of the self-employed agreed with the statement: “I have either lost my job, had my hours cut, or had my pay cut, or someone I know has, as a result of the lockdown restrictions.” This compares with 46 per cent of those working for someone else.

But despite this destruction and the inequitable impacts, governments have doubled down with a virus elimination strategy.

In March and April the objective of the lockdowns was to “flatten the curve” to make sure that the hospital and medical systems were not overwhelmed.

The curve was not flattened, it was smashed by mid-April. Mission accomplished.

But power-hungry premiers, politicians and unelected health bureaucrats weren’t going to return the freedoms confiscated on the basis of what we now know are exaggerated claims and highly inaccurate modelling.

Modelling by the federal Department of Health from April infamously reported that under a best-case scenario which included social distancing, travel restrictions and quarantining, a peak of some 5000 Australians would require intensive care while infected with the coronavirus. The peak was about 100. They were out by a factor of 50.

Rather than acknowledging this, which presumably would be too embarrassing and prove the credentialled class has no clothes, governments went to virus suppression and then to virus elimination.

But elimination is a false god, worshipped by those such as the Grattan Institute, the ABC and health bureaucrats, whose jobs and livelihoods aren’t hanging in the balance.

Zero COVID-19 cases may mean zero jobs, zero freedom, and zero hope.

To get back our jobs, freedoms, democracy and way of life we must learn to live with the virus, not eliminate it.

END

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Across the nation more than 22,000 jobs have been added to the public service since lockdowns began in March while more than 572,000 jobs have been destroyed in the private sector. This means that for every job added in the public sector, 26 have been lost elsewhere. And yet it is those in the public sector that decide when those in the private sector can return to work.

And yet the one time Dan tries to employ people from the private sector rather than public servants, it blows up in his face & he gets slammed for it. ;)

1 hour ago, Prince said:

there is no justification for Anna not allowing all children to visit their dying father in Qld, period.  

No none at all.  

Except once the precedence is set, it'll be used by every dropkick looking for a way into Queensland.

Just like people in Victoria driving more than 5km to "Exercise"

I am a pretty simple guy, we have gone from 700 cases in a day down to around 40-50. Other countries experiences would suggest pretty strongly that not controlling the virus has a heavy human and economic toll. 

To be honest the number one thing getting me down at the moment is the bullshit news blowing up everything into a disaster. Things are never perfect, humans are never perfect and I don't expect any leader to be perfect.

I have nothing to complain about and am happy the measures put in place are delivering a result.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Naut said:

I am a pretty simple guy, we have gone from 700 cases in a day down to around 40-50. Other countries experiences would suggest pretty strongly that not controlling the virus has a heavy human and economic toll. 

To be honest the number one thing getting me down at the moment is the bullshit news blowing up everything into a disaster. Things are never perfect, humans are never perfect and I don't expect any leader to be perfect.

I have nothing to complain about and am happy the measures put in place are delivering a result.

exactly, all these 'brilliant' journos are great at hindsight but that's about the extent of it. 

7 minutes ago, Prince said:

exactly, all these 'brilliant' journos are great at hindsight but that's about the extent of it. 

I'm sure most are just sitting ready for the daily infection and death tolls to write an explosive headline. 

If there was only a single infection throughout the entire country the headline would be "infection count reaches new record high" 

9 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Early on (in the first wave in NSW) I watched Strava as people I knew decided that they would make the trip in from Penrith to either The Bay Run (which was PACKED) or Manly (again PACKED). We were asked to remain within our own areas unless you needed to work or other essential activity. 

I'm trying to not travel outside my zone again, at least Cabrita Pool has open. 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

I'm sure most are just sitting ready for the daily infection and death tolls to write an explosive headline. 

If there was only a single infection throughout the entire country the headline would be "infection count reaches new record high" 

best one I saw was "death rate soars to 15". 

Seems Anastasia Palaszczuk is trying to take Dictator Dans title. What a absolute disgrace, at least their Communist friends in China will be proud. Both Labor leaders and both exerting dictator style authority with no sense of compassion or understanding. What has our country become... 

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And yet the one time Dan tries to employ people from the private sector rather than public servants, it blows up in his face & he gets slammed for it. ;)

Your comments don’t help. 

made me choke on my coffee: (again frm the Australian:

Ah, Queensland.

Outrageously hypocritical one day. Horrendously cruel the next.

How else to explain decisions being made around the NSW border – which, by the way, is open to Queenslanders.

They are welcome in Byron, and in Bondi.

No quarantine required. Just come on down.

But just try being getting into Queensland, henceforth, the callous state.

Ray Hadley has been leading the charge on this, on radio 2GB in Sydney.

Yesterday, he had a man who is 39 years old, and dying from cancer. He lives in Brisbane.

His four children, aged seven to 13, live with their Mum, across the border in NSW.

They want to see their dad before he dies.

Permission denied.

Denied!

Scott Morrison tried to intervene. He is an evangelical Christian, but you don’t have to be, to ask for mercy in this case.

Okay, said Queensland. One of the children can come over the border, and he’ll be driven to his father’s beside to say goodbye for one hour, and then it’s back to NSW with him.

And why?

Nobody can explain it.

Covid is not rampant in NSW. What are the chances of this man’s children having it and spreading it? Minuscule.

Then, today, another case: Sarah is 26 years old, and she was raised in Queensland, but now lives in Canberra.

Her father was dying.

She applied for permission to see him before he died.

She didn’t get her exemption until Friday. It was too late. He died on Wednesday. So she won‘t ever see him again.

Well, at least she could go to the funeral, and be with her family, and pay her respects.

She took her exemption paperwork and went to Brisbane, and straight into hotel quarantine.

From there, she applied for an hour’s release to attend the funeral.

Denied!

But not just denied: the bureaucrat in charge told her she shouldn’t even be in Queensland. Why not?

Because the exemption was to visit her dying father. And he’s dead, so, you know, what are you even doing here?

The inhumanity boggles the mind.

Again, there is essentially no Covid in Canberra. What chance that she’s infected? None. Why can’t she quarantine with her family? Distance herself at the funeral for an hour?

People are carrying on like the rest of the country has been to Chernobyl. Like everyone else is toxic. But we know that‘s not actually the case.

Which brings us to the shocking hypocrisy.

Tom Hanks flew into Queensland this week. He’s not in hotel quarantine. He came on a private jet. So if you’re famous, in you go.

It also helps to be rich.

We all know the story of the millionaire family from Victoria who sailed up to Queensland on a luxury yacht, saying the boat needed maintenance.

They hopped off at Eden to get coffee. They weren‘t crew, as they claimed, but a man, his wife, their kids, and a friend, who is Lindsay Fox’s daughter.

They were fined, and forced into quarantine, but they’ve been allowed to stay in Queensland, which was of course their goal.

And why? One of them is a major sponsor of the Geelong Cats.

They want to go to the footy.

Speaking of footy, who are all the people allowed into Queensland, on the guise of being with the AFL?

We’ve been told that James Sutherland – former boss of Cricket Australia – is there.

How did he get an exemption to travel? He is on the board of the Geelong Football Club. And he’s apparently got “experience with touring sports teams.”

There are a heap of wives, kids, support staff, hangers-on as well.

Ah yes.

If only you were the second cousin of an AFL commissioner’s son, you too could be in Queensland. Beautiful one day, acts of beastly cruelty the next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, -- AJ -- said:

No none at all.  

Except once the precedence is set, it'll be used by every dropkick looking for a way into Queensland.

Precedence doesn't have to be an issue. Just ensure there are some sound judgements made and some evidence is presented. It can all be nice and quiet and not publicised. 

She will absolutely get slammed now. It is a really dumb move and i don't know who is advising her politically, but it would have been way easier to grant this and no one would know. Now she is going to be targeted and the media will be relentless about this particular case and they will scrutinise every decision she now makes. The election is still 6 weeks away and this will stick. Its smacks of arrogance and history shows QLders don't like arrogance around an election. 

19 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Then, today, another case: Sarah is 26 years old, and she was raised in Queensland, but now lives in Canberra.

Her father was dying.

She applied for permission to see him before he died.

She didn’t get her exemption until Friday. It was too late. He died on Wednesday. So she won‘t ever see him again.

Well, at least she could go to the funeral, and be with her family, and pay her respects.

She took her exemption paperwork and went to Brisbane, and straight into hotel quarantine.

From there, she applied for an hour’s release to attend the funeral.

Denied!

And there it is. In what world are we that hard arse. WOW!.   Cant wait to hear Anna Paysthecheck's response to this. 

6 hours ago, Prince said:

she has now lost me in the last few weeks with the blatant hypocrisy of who get exemptions in Qld. I mean FFS, Tom Hanks doesn't have a dying father here

Wasn’t Hanks here filming the Elvis movie on the Gold Coast before the hard border closure? Or have they come back?

Edited by Mike Del
2 minutes ago, chris said:

And yes the all the premiers are out of control and Morrison has no power to do anything it’s becoming the biggest cluster **** of all time 

To be fair I wouldn't say ALL. 

Again not a fan of her general politics but I think Gladys in NSW is plotting about the right course between opening up and containing the virus. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, -- AJ -- said:

No none at all.  

Anna thanks you for your support. 

perhaps think about it like Medicare and Centrelink - there will always be people abusing it but if the other choice is to get rid of it and let everyone fend for themselves ‘just in case’, I’m not sure what type of society that makes us?

5BB88B51-C304-43A1-81E6-24D0B63512EF.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Merv said:

Why isn't the blow torch being applied to the CHO more than it is.

Because they model what they’re told to and, my guess is, they were also told we want ‘0’ deaths. 
wonder what they would say if given control over driving, alcohol, cigarettes, personal weight etc etc.?

3 minutes ago, truck said:

Because they model what they’re told to and, my guess is, they were also told we want ‘0’ deaths. 
wonder what they would say if given control over driving, alcohol, cigarettes, personal weight etc etc.?

Yes, the CHO is also signing off on theses these exemptions, yet the media appear hands off with them.

41 minutes ago, Prince said:

Precedence doesn't have to be an issue. Just ensure there are some sound judgements made and some evidence is presented. It can all be nice and quiet and not publicised. 

She will absolutely get slammed now. It is a really dumb move and i don't know who is advising her politically, but it would have been way easier to grant this and no one would know. Now she is going to be targeted and the media will be relentless about this particular case and they will scrutinise every decision she now makes. The election is still 6 weeks away and this will stick. Its smacks of arrogance and history shows QLders don't like arrogance around an election. 

So hypothetically, lets play the alternative game.

She lets them in, they're asymptomatic, they go to the hospital, infect the father, who infects others leading to Community transmissions and we end up like Victoria

Does she still get shot down in flames by the media because the virus arrived in people who were granted an exemption?

8 minutes ago, Merv said:

Yes, the CHO is also signing off on theses these exemptions, yet the media appear hands off with them.

I believe the CHO advises, but there is some descrepancy with what was advised re the lockdowns or curfew in victoria and what Dan actually enforced. He now said the curfew was not from the CHO but the police after previously stating it came from the health officials. 

1 minute ago, Prince said:

I believe the CHO advises, but there is some descrepancy with what was advised re the lockdowns or curfew in victoria and what Dan actually enforced. He now said the curfew was not from the CHO but the police after previously stating it came from the health officials. 

It was a ‘captain’s call’ from Dan. The police have also distanced themselves from it. 

Just now, -- AJ -- said:

She lets them in, they're asymptomatic, they go to the hospital, infect the father, who infects others leading to Community transmissions and we end up like Victoria

Does she still get shot down in flames by the media because the virus arrived in people who were granted an exemption?

i doubt the father would be worried nor would he be going out around infecting others as he has only months to live. Commonsense should be applied, though unfortunately it is not that common. 

2 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Just like people in [Victoria] Melbourne driving more than 5km to "Exercise"

FTFY

The rest of us have no restriction

Edited by Turts
Just now, Prince said:

i doubt the father would be worried nor would he be going out around infecting others as he has only months to live. Commonsense should be applied, though unfortunately it is not that common. 

Remember,  we have cases here in Queensland that are the direct result of transmission in Hospitals where front line medical staff have contracted the virus from patients and then spread it to their families

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

She lets them in, they're asymptomatic,

What are the actual chances since one is from Canberra that hasn't had a single case in 6 or so weeks, the other kids I think are from Nth NSW which hasn't had a case since March. 

In actuality they are at greater risk of catching it in QLD than bringing it in. 

• Like 2

So here is how ducked up it all is

You land in Sydney from overseas spend 14 days in a hotel prison unless you are rich. Then come home to Perth if he lets you back then another 14 days. Because they think you may catch it on a plane. Seriously wtf. May as well stop is walking down the street as we may get eaten by a great white shark In the middle of st George tc. We can’t live in a zero risk world

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

What are the actual chances since one is from Canberra that hasn't had a single case in 6 or so weeks, the other kids I think are from Nth NSW which hasn't had a case since March. 

In actuality they are at greater risk of catching it in QLD than bringing it in. 

So we let them in.  

Next Day.  My father is dying, we want to see him before he goes.  We're from Melbourne.

Then what?  You've set the precedence.  Can't say no to them when you've said yes to somebody else.

And why is it such an issue to Gladys?  NSW borders are essentially all open.  So nothing stopping tourists, investors,  etc from travelling to NSW to spend money there.  In fact, if I was her, I'd be taking advantage of the situation and suggesting that if Qld is closed people should come to NSW instead.  Convince all those NSW people who would normally head north during summer to stay and visit NSW instead. 

Just now, -- AJ -- said:

So we let them in.  

Next Day.  My father is dying, we want to see him before he goes.  We're from Melbourne.

Then what?  You've set the precedence.  Can't say no to them when you've said yes to somebody else.

Of course you can, the only precedence you have set is a precedence that people from non hotspot locations can come across for extreme reasons, nothing else.  

I think Betoota got it right again. 

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/palaschuk-border-will-remain-closed-until-after-election-when-its-no-longer-an-issue/ 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

Of course you can, the only precedence you have set is a precedence that people from non hotspot locations can come across for extreme reasons, nothing else.  

I think Betoota got it right again. 

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/palaschuk-border-will-remain-closed-until-after-election-when-its-no-longer-an-issue/ 

It’s 100% political.

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah right.  We all know the media wouldn't see it that way.

5 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Yeah right.  We all know the media wouldn't see it that way.

I'm sure it would be better optics than letting half the AFL community in. 

Can only imaging when the AFL grand final comes around how many of the Melb glitterati will have viable reasons to be in Qld that weekend.

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

I'm sure it would be better optics than letting half the AFL community in. 

Can only imaging when the AFL grand final comes around how many of the Melb glitterati will have viable reasons to be in Qld that weekend.

Ahh you missed that.  They've already published the loophole in the border lockup.  Travel from melbourne to the NT and do 2 weeks isolation there in the 5 Star isolation resort (no crappy motel stay there) and then come to QLD for the Grand Final. (no quarantine period required when you come from the NT).  Fly straight home from there.  Simples

Not to mention the multitude of Mexicans that have been residing in our best Caravan parks for the past 4 months.  

20 minutes ago, roxii said:

I thought they were already here in the golf resort down the coast.

2 hours ago, roxii said:

To be fair I wouldn't say ALL. 

Again not a fan of her general politics but I think Gladys in NSW is plotting about the right course between opening up and containing the virus. 

Agree. She level headed in all decisions 

1 hour ago, chris said:

It’s 100% political.

It is for every state except NSW and maybe NT (Risk to aboriginal communities is massive) 

WA QLD SA TAS and especially VIC its political   

mind you, you said that 100 pages back and 4 months ago. 

37 minutes ago, Peter said:

Agree. She level headed in all decisions 

It is for every state except NSW and maybe NT (Risk to aboriginal communities is massive) 

WA QLD SA TAS and especially VIC its political   

mind you, you said that 100 pages back and 4 months ago. 

😀