Under 2 months to go, who is doing the race?

My training is going well, endurance is building nicely in the swim and on bike. My run will be what it will be.

So far this year all my swimming has been in the sea.

Slight changes to the bike course this year which I can't see making much difference.

• Like 2

I'm going back again. Number 22 in Taupo and this is my freebie for my 20th that I didn't get last year.

Interesting that they have changed the bike course after no changes for over 10 years. I notice they have taken out the loop along the private road on the second lap. Maybe they have had issues with the owners of that road. They have also taken out the climb up state highway 5 off the lake which was always a good crowd atmosphere section.

The new section out at the Reporoa end might take out some of that coarse trucking road surface as Vaile Rd looks like a quiet country road that wouldn't be used by the logging trucks. If anything I would say the bike course may be slightly easier.

Training going ok when its not smokey, pouring rain or pools closed due to smoke/mud storms.

Looking forward to swimming in Lake Taupo again. It's still the most enjoyable swim in an Ironman in near Australia. 

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, steve said:

Found that out at the airport. Downloaded the app and paid $44. In Wanaka now – things are looking good for Challenge on Saturday.

Good luck, wish i was there

Thanks! Yeah, it's a brilliant way to spend a few days. Good luck at IMNZ, too. A buddy from California is doing it. I'd come up just to watch, but I'm doing the King Island run that weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Race week

1194 Richard

Weather is supposed to be good, Virus seems to be biggest concern on the group chat

my build up over the last few weeks has had most of my riding on the MTB, and not TT bike as been in Rotorua alot.

Target is under 13hr

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

Race week

1194 Richard

Weather is supposed to be good, Virus seems to be biggest concern on the group chat

my build up over the last few weeks has had most of my riding on the MTB, and not TT bike as been in Rotorua alot.

Target is under 13hr

Good luck. Hope it goes well. I am getting pangs as my FB is showing me memories of my one and only IM in Taupo in 2013..

Hopefully my knee will settle down at some point, and I might be able to entertain trying to do it again...

Welcome dinner last night was great.  Big welcome to the first timers and recognized the people who have done 10, 15, 20, 25 etc. I had dinner with a group including first timers and they got a real buzz from being recognized. 

Was a great start to weekend. Can see why awarded best IM last year. Thing's like welcome dinner and mass swim start make this race memorable. 

Weather is good and supposed to get better with minimal wind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope everyone has a great race and achieve what they have worked for. I was over there a year ago. It looks a great place for a race. I might have to try it one year. 

FM

Thanks. I have a medal and t-shirt.

Got ugly on the run, as my hip went. but wanted to finish.

will write report over next few days and post.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2