Beginners e-commerce site

Hey everyone. A question to the IT gurus.

So my son is 15 going on 25 and is currently going through an entrepreneurial phase. He wants to create an e-commerce web site and he has already surpassed my basic IT skills.

He wants to present and sell a range of electronic and gaming items through his own web page.  He is already doing pretty well from drop shopping using eBay and Asian web sites but is frustrated by the fees.

Starting simple, but I think he ultimately wants to have users and log-ons and I think this is pretty dangerous territory for a build from scratch approach?  (and I am sure that will entail a database and SQL as well)

He is pretty clever (methinks a bit too clever most of the time) - he built a  bitcoin trading bot using nodeJS and a database, and I think the start from scratch approach will probably teach him more than, say, setting up something in Joomla or some such.

My question is should he develop his own website going down the classic HTML/CSS/JS path, should he use a template such as bootstrap or should he go to a web publishing software platform such as word press?

When my wife is awake and thinking straight, I could ask her for some tips?  She's had sites before, selling digital scrapbooking stuff etc, not physical stuff.  But some of the basics of the sites might be the same.

• Like 1

My wife says go WordPress with Woo Commerce.  She said you can make WordPress fully secure with an SSL certificate.  And there's really good plugins to prevent hacking.  And it's really easy, especially for someone with some experience in this stuff.  She has used a different one before, can't remember if it was Joomla or not, but she said it was no where near as user friendly and she can't remember if or how well it did ecommerce.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PeterW said:

My question is should he develop his own website going down the classic HTML/CSS/JS path, should he use a template such as bootstrap or should he go to a web publishing software platform such as word press?

Use an established platform.

Writing the basics of a database driven site is not rocket science BUT the security required - especially for ecommerce - is not trivial. The last thing he would want to do is 'build it himself' only to find it gets hacked. By all means fiddle around and learn how things are done, but when it comes to taking peoples money or credit card info you want to be using a proven site.

Doesn't have to be Wordpress (although we use it at work). SquareSpace, Wix and a million others would do what he wants but he'll be paying fees. There's a reason it's not free.