14 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

You need to double check your facts Pete and then post the Internet link before you state any facts. These are the new rules before you can post 😋

Probably why Alex has specifically asked him to provide it. :)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/technology/us-canadian-firefighters-will-help-local-efforts-in-bushfire-crisis/news-story/b3682d095caacf22de608e1fb123a9d9 Correct, some more arrived a few days

The biggest message people need to take out of this is to listen and act when told to. Monday night we had 2 crews drive through fires to get to a man near Sarsfield who relatives had informed wa

That’s not how it should have to work.  You could try being less of a dick. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

You need to double check your facts Pete and then post the Internet link before you state any facts. These are the new rules before you can post 😋

Sounds like st where you can’t say anything without peer reviewed articles unless you are empfeild

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

Is there something wrong with asking people to check their facts before posting nonsense / made up bullshit?

no, but there is nothing wrong with posting nonsense / made up bullshit?

This is an internet forum not an academic journal. People are free to post with verified sources and also write utter drivel and you are free to highlight the drivel.

Internet forums publishing standard is anything you want, not have sources. Does a web link = a fact?

11 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

Don't bring facts into it 

He doesn't like that sort of thing...

7 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

This is an internet forum not an academic journal. People are free to post with verified sources and also write utter drivel and you are free to highlight the drivel.

When it comes to things that matter, you know, like whether someone is alive or dead, or health information and advice, then yes it does matter. Posting nonsense can do harm.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

When it comes to things that matter, you know, like whether someone is alive or dead, or health information and advice, then yes it does matter. Posting nonsense can do harm.

Did someone say some one died who did not.

you are free to challenge he does not need to cite facts and is free to sprout utter crap,

the internet and transitions is full of nonsense. If the owner wants a standard set for publishing of comments sure otherwise it’s a bit like fb.

people post utter crap and others can seek facts and peer reviewed material. Suggest that a triathlon forum sub forum for nonsense is not the place to find high quality research on public health advice and policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

Haha. I like to break rules. 

13 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

no, but there is nothing wrong with posting nonsense / made up bullshit?

Internet forums publishing standard is anything you want, not have sources. Does a web link = a fact?

Thanks. 

6 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

Everything on the internet isn’t true.  If you honestly believe that, I feel sorry for you. 

You might need to climb down off your high horse.

Edited by Peter
13 hours ago, Turts said:

Would be better worded as 

"Not everything on the internet is true"

It has been said that some of the news on CNN is true, but all of the news on CNN is fake...

On 06/05/2020 at 9:41 PM, Alex Simmons said:

Is there something wrong with asking people to check their facts before posting nonsense / made up bullshit?

If I could put this in a signature, I would, but I don't have the ability to do so. 

I am not a NEWS network and do not work for a NEWS network.  So some things I type are not backed up with an investigation into the story at all. in other words if you don't like what I type, you can basically just eat sh1t.  I don't care.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Peter said:

If I could put this in a signature, I would, but I don't have the ability to do so. 

I am not a NEWS network and do not work for a NEWS network.  So some things I type are not backed up with an investigation into the story at all. in other words if you don't like what I type, you can basically just eat sh1t.  I don't care.

And we wonder why good people leave the forum. 

• Like 5

Did I miss the bit where Alex played the man and mentioned anyone at all or did he just post the correct info about the pollie's circumstances and seemed to agree with Peter's cynicism about the dongas. Absolutely no different to AA7 correcting the Wiggle blokes issue on the same page and no ones jumped down his throat. 

If you post shit and get called on it, sack up. If you post an erroneous fact and are corrected politely, say thanks and move on. You blokes need to get out more... oh hang on.......

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I am not a NEWS network and do not work for a NEWS network.  So some things I type are not backed up with an investigation into the story at all.  in other words if you don't like what I type, you can basically just eat sh1t.  I don't care.

Disclaimer for many news/Opinion sites I reckon

1 hour ago, Peter said:

They can always just use The Block function

And what about those who have just taken up Tris and find this site and are are yet to join up? They will be less inclined to join and contribute if they see some of this self centred dribble.

Edit: currently 15 members online and 35 guests. So 35 people online who can't block and potentially less inclined to join.

Edited by Dalai
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, roxii said:

That’s not how it should have to work. 
You could try being less of a dick. 

I’m 100% entitled to my opinion just like you are. 

everyone will never agree. 

9 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Blew is back.

Haha.  I was good for a few years but Fark some people.  

especially those that haven’t even done a triathlon and here they are on a triathlon forum. Please!

4 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

You're not entitled to your own facts though.

who says what the facts are ( I don't need the sermon) a link to CNN the guardian or fox news is not proof of fact all the time.

Why does he have to put up a paper with primary and secondary cited sources when everyone else pastes the click bait of CNN, Fox, ABC etc often lacking in their own facts.

This is an internet forum and no one has to publish facts unless the new owners are planning to disrupt the model of the internet:

A fact is a thing that is known to be consistent with objective reality and can be proven to be true with evidence. These are rarely used in this place and as long as some one is not blatantly and wilfuly lying, who cares and even if they are who cares.

It is a triathlon forum not a academic journal.

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Ok fine, how’s a week sound? 

I think Peter is Iron Jimbo's twin brother and I respect both while most of the time wanting to claw their eyes out.

Why would you ban him for using the forum he same way anyone else does. Give we struggle to get 15 concurrent users most of whom are the same people, I don't get this sudden desire for journalistic integrity when in the past a fact equaled what ever Trev liked or believed.

May as well ban me too, although this has been my mental health saviour duirng this crisis. Let Peter stay

I think Peter is Iron Jimbo's twin brother and I respect both while most of the time wanting to claw their eyes out.

Why would you ban him for using the forum he same way anyone else does. Give we struggle to get 15 concurrent users most of whom are the same people, I don't get this sudden desire for journalistic integrity when in the past a fact equaled what ever Trev liked or believed.

May as well ban me too, although this has been my mental health saviour duirng this crisis. Let Peter stay

From someone who has been banned.  Don’t ban him.  

who says what the facts are

As a rule of thumb, people are either alive or dead. Sure there is a bit of a short duration transition in state at end of life but for the most part people are either alive or dead.

Whether one is alive or dead is not a fact which is all that hard to establish and verify for a well respective public figure who has served this nation well.

Saying someone is dead when they are not can cause significant distress which is not necessary and could be easily avoided by doing the most basic of fact checking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

As a rule of thumb, people are either alive or dead. Sure there is a bit of a short duration transition in state at end of life but for the most part people are either alive or dead.

Whether one is alive or dead is not a fact which is all that hard to establish and verify for a well respective public figure who has served this nation well.

Saying someone is dead when they are not can cause significant distress which is not necessary and could be easily avoided by doing the most basic of fact checking.

what is the fact in dispute ?

6 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

what is the fact in dispute ?

He said mike Kelly was dead.  

and I’m not sure but I think he may have also started the rumour about Jeff Goldblum a few years ago.  

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Give we struggle to get 15 concurrent users most of whom are the same people

And why do you think more people don't sign up and join in? Guests outnumber signed in members but aren't joining. Could it be because a few regulars have decided to buy the full course of ten arguments?

I don't read a  number of topics now as it's just a bickering fest! Then when they openly say I don't give a sh1t about others and don't care if their actions will stop people from joining that is a big problem. If I had a vested interest in the site I would be having a word asking them to settle down as the vibe of the place has been affected by such actions!

I don't agree with banning, just would be good if people take some time to think how others might react before hitting Submit Reply button. The old "would I say that to their face"...

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Dalai said:

And why do you think more people don't sign up and join in? Guests outnumber signed in members but aren't joining. Could it be because a few regulars have decided to buy the full course of ten arguments?

I don't read a  number of topics now as it's just a bickering fest! Then when they openly say I don't give a sh1t about others and don't care if their actions will stop people from joining that is a big problem. If I had a vested interest in the site I would be having a word asking them to settle down as the vibe of the place has been affected by such actions!

I don't agree with banning, just would be good if people take some time to think how others might react before hitting Submit Reply button. The old "would I say that to their face"...

How do u know guest out number signed in members? 
I agree with with you on re settling down a bit. I don’t bother opening the Trump or Corona virus thread anymore.
it seems like a couple of ppl want to be argumentative dicks just for the sake of it.

btw everything I say on this forum I would say to people’s face. 

I said it in another thread “if you are not going to be part of the solution, quit being part of the problem” (not aimed at you Dalai)

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

How do u know guest out number signed in members? 

This morning it's pretty even, sometimes there are 2 members logged in and 15 guests 

Screenshot_20200509-093203.png

Normally I would say anything asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.  But when people ask for evidence that the sun rises in the east, it's usually a pretty obvious sign that they're trying to bury the main point of the argument in semantics 

Arguments should be based on questions of fact or logic. Anything else is intellectually dishonest 

Edited by IronJimbo
1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

But when people ask for evidence that the sun rises in the east, it's usually a pretty obvious sign that they're trying to bury the main point of the argument in semantics 

Yeah, but this issue was about a guy being called dead that was still appearing in public and on news bulletins. And his name wasn't Bernie or Kim.

There is some serious stone throwing by some glass house dwellers here.  The politics thread and Trump are are a complete shit show and I rarely look at them.

I rarely look at the political threads but have done in the past but I've said this before.  I disagree with about 95% of what Jimbo posts, I also disagree with heaps of what others posts,  including Monkie. (unless he's talking about medical stuff) and I disagree with loads of others.

However, the reason I've called these two out is the way conduct themselves when under fire.  Jimbo does has some political ideals that don't suit the narrative of many on here but when I see folks calling him a wanker and a prick like I did a while back and I don't see him retaliate in the same way, to me it says more about him than it does the others.  I've never seen Jimbo 'play the man'. (I may have missed it but I haven't seen it).

The same with Monkie, he is pretty far on the left of the scale for me to align with in the same way Jimbo is along way to the right but I'd rather got for a beer, a run or whatever with folks I disagree that can be civil than folks I do agree with that can't be accepting of someone else' opinion.   TC and I went for a ride for over 4hrs one and we're both still alive. 👍

Having said all that, don't BS me about your running, that won't end well. 😄

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2