I haven’t seen too many photos on here. So, our area this arvo. Have a look at the left hand side - the front is about 30 kms from us. Luckily the black ash on our lawns are dry and not embers. 
FM

ECBC9460-E7FE-42E2-8344-51E67C083871.jpeg

Edited by Flanman
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/technology/us-canadian-firefighters-will-help-local-efforts-in-bushfire-crisis/news-story/b3682d095caacf22de608e1fb123a9d9 Correct, some more arrived a few days

The biggest message people need to take out of this is to listen and act when told to. Monday night we had 2 crews drive through fires to get to a man near Sarsfield who relatives had informed wa

That’s not how it should have to work.  You could try being less of a dick. 

Posted Images

A good mate of mine, and the guy behind the set-up of most major Tri's on the East Coast, is living through it all at the moment. He had to race home early this week to fight the fires & back-burn his property a few days ago. Here are a couple of photos of his back yard this week.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: night and fire

On the much lighter side, we had ash dropping in our yard today as well, but cold & from fires 15km away.

• Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...

We are all sweet here just a shit load of smoke to the nth 

my biggest problem is dealing with the bride she is stressing out to the point I think it’s bad for her health our property is in the middle of cow pastures and not an issue .

i blame these stupid bloody app things she keeps looking at endlessly and the media hype for the drama ,I get it’s bad in some areas and intense but it’s driving me crazy 

like those bloody shark alert app she looks at in summer !!! 

Thats nth of us at the moment 

44F9F0F8-2E5F-45B6-AC44-11649F479AFB.jpeg

• Sad 1

Was talking to a mate about the hype today as well. The hysteria whipped up with the catastrophic rating is off the charts. People are seriously anxious and deeply fearful. So many stayed home from work, cancelled appointments, etc etc a few weeks ago, and today, for what turned out to be a hot day with a southerly buster. If you are near active fires fair enough but we’re talking about suburbs near the coast.

same with storms, now called major weather events, they are garden variety thunderstorms but all of a sudden your insurer is texting you warnings to take cover, damaging winds, hail etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

💯 mate 

we have had some Barney’s over the last couple days about it I guess it’s hard for them to relax and realise it is what it is .

The police knocking at the door sent her into overdrive and I feel there was just know need for it .

like all the schools shutting down the other week ,now I get if the teachers can’t get into work for ratio etc but farrrk me 

the first closure down here the nearest fire was 230km away !!

it was just a hot summers day !some bean counter making stupid decisions based no where near here 🤷‍♂️

I just think everyone needs to calm the f down and have common sense 

• Like 1

For those in the Brisbane area that totally missed the storm that went through last week (like us), Santa could possibly be bringing us a present.

image.thumb.png.0fd7fe68d311c046501e8b86fd87889c.png

After 3mm in the last couple months, we could certainly do with it.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
On 22/12/2019 at 11:58 AM, oldschool69#2 said:

💯 mate 

we have had some Barney’s over the last couple days about it I guess it’s hard for them to relax and realise it is what it is .

The police knocking at the door sent her into overdrive and I feel there was just know need for it .

like all the schools shutting down the other week ,now I get if the teachers can’t get into work for ratio etc but farrrk me 

the first closure down here the nearest fire was 230km away !!

it was just a hot summers day !some bean counter making stupid decisions based no where near here 🤷‍♂️

I just think everyone needs to calm the f down and have common sense 

One of my clients is seeing a psychologist for anxiety as a result of the last 2 catastrophic warnings. Addicted to fires near me app, has a network of friends who call her for any notification that pops up (2 false alarms at the Burgh and heathcote Rd last weekend had her freaking) and is essentially afraid to leave the house, has cancelled holiday trips etc. 

I'd love to know the economic cost of the drought and fires combined. 

• Like 1

I have as neighbours a family that had their last home in the Blue Mountains burned to the ground and other family members affected (Canberra 2003). The threat for many of us in regional areas is very real and we have watched thousands evacuate in surrounding districts, many losing their homes. Driving through several fire devastated areas in recent weeks, it brings home how widespread and destructive these fires have been and are to the local area. It is no wonder people are on edge. In many locations here there is only one way in or out, and when that is cut well it can be curtains.

We are fortunate that the threat to my town has abated in the past week. Each day the updates were very helpful to know what had changed, for a couple of weeks it was coming several km closer each day as new containment lines would be breached. When you have ash and burned leaves covering your home, you take notice.

We have had our fire evacuation plan in place and kit at the ready should it be necessary. As time progresses I have been increasing the fire resistance of our property but there is only so much you can do.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

It's a shit show. Good mate in Bathurst. They are cut off. How that has happened is beyond me. 

It's going to be a pretty shit Xmas for a lot of folk out there. Those that have lost property (or even worse, loved ones), those who are on edge due to the imminent risk that they may be in (real or perceived), and also those thousands of volunteer and professional firefighters who are out there on the front line and won't see their families tomorrow, and in some cases for a number of days.

No prayers from me, but my heart goes out to all of them.

• Like 1

Last night the Melbourne Ch9 news were saying how bad the smoke is down here.

I have no idea where they are talking about.  it's blue skies here today and was the same yesterday.

Once again a total media beat up for Victorians

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I have no idea where they are talking about.  it's blue skies here today and was the same yesterday.

They were talking about it on the morning show today as well. There was a reporter outside saying how bad it was, and that asthmatics should stay inside etc, and you could see the mountains in the distance, clear as day.

Good rain overnight and rain again today. Best. Christmas. Present.

In recent weeks we had the odd bit of rain here and there but it was actually hampering the fire fighting efforts and the containment activity had to stop. This seems to be more persistent and hopefully will have the desired effect.

As for smoke, we normally have fabulous views of mountains. We've seen them on perhaps half a dozen days over the past two months. Smoke has been an issue since August, some more bad days in September and then it's been a smoke blanket since October. Indoors only, no exercise. Eyes, throat, lungs aggravated. As an indication of just how much smoke there has been, my solar panel output has much been worse in December than it was in November which in turn was worse than in October. Our normally lush well watered area has been on Level 4 severe water restrictions. Council are bringing a portable desalination unit. This is the stuff you expect in drought prone areas west of the range. Instead they have simply run out of water altogether.

But we are safe as is our home and I'm very thankful for that. So many have not been nearly as fortunate.

I hope the regional businesses survive as it has had a terrible impact on local trade but I'm afraid it will send many under.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Good to hear Alex. A little to start, hopefully there will be more on the way. Christmas present, New Year present, Chinese NY present, Valentine Day present- take them all. 
stay safe

FM

Rain started hear about 1 minute ago. It's a sound I haven't heard in ages. Love it.

I don't think we'll get much here tonight, though south of Brisbane & some of the hinterland looks like getting over 100mm. Hopefully tomorrow will bring the real stuff.

I was in Wiilawarrin 2 weeks ago doing disaster relief with Team Rubicon. It was heart breaking working with locals who had lost everything and had no insurance. Fire is devastating, burning everything that burns. We helped clean their properties, sifted through ashes for valuables, cleared roads etc. Going back after Christmas for another week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've just had about an inch in 15 minutes. Love it. Most will just run off, as the ground has gone hydrophobic, but it will make some difference, and if we get what is forecast tomorrow it'll assist that soaking in.

I also noticed they got a good downpour on the fire that had been burning for the past week on the other side of the mountain from here. It should mean most of the local volunteer firies get a day off tomorrow. :)

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Peter said:

On your side of town maybe, it's been pretty hazy over my way. 

My brother lives in the blue mountains and doesn't know if he has a home to go back to, and good friends in the Adelaide Hills have lost everything. It's not all media hype.

• Sad 4
5 hours ago, -H- said:

On your side of town maybe, it's been pretty hazy over my way. 

My brother lives in the blue mountains and doesn't know if he has a home to go back to, and good friends in the Adelaide Hills have lost everything. It's not all media hype.

West is best.  But best you stay in the east in the traffic. And smoke. 

Clear this side again today 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Ive read that the fireworks are going ahead in Sydney for NYE. That seems a bit daft to me. Note that Im not a firefighter & have no knowledge of this stuff, only my opinion

Why is Sydney Harbour a fire risk?

thought it was water. 

• Like 1

But Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons doesn’t share the City of Sydney’s certainty.

“If I determine it to be too risky … (then) where necessary, we won’t allow them to go ahead”, he said.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/travel/sydney-nye-fireworks-to-go-ahead-despite-fire-risk/news-story/ae6e2ccad91793f9ec50352e5681b7dc

Why don't they just do 5 minutes of fireworks and donate the rest of the money to a good cause each year. They are a great and they look awesome but after half an hour isn't everyone a bit tired of them? And it's soooo much money!

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Why?

Because these days it's all about symbolism and like fires have smoke and fireworks have smoke so fireworks bad mmmkay 

I just hope they come to their senses and cancel the swimming at the Japan Olympics after the terrible amount of people that have drowned this summer. How insensitive it wound be... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Why don't they just do 5 minutes of fireworks and donate the rest of the money to a good cause each year. They are a great and they look awesome but after half an hour isn't everyone a bit tired of them? And it's soooo much money!

Maybe in future, but these would have had contracts signed probably 12 to 18 months ago, so cancelling or shortening them won't save any money. Maybe in future years they can move on to laser displays.

Or maybe this.

1 hour ago, pieman said:

I don't get the big deal with fireworks and find them boring AF...

figure those who enjoy them probably never get the real thing in the bedroom..😁

Yet millions will be around Sydney Harbour that totally disagree with you. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe in future, but these would have had contracts signed probably 12 to 18 months ago, so cancelling or shortening them won't save any money. Maybe in future years they can move on to laser displays.

Or maybe this.

I didn’t know it was about money.  

Thats news to me. 

Scott Morrison’s trip to Hawaii with his security detail would cost more than the fireworks. 

Yet millions around Australia will enjoy them. 

Not many of the millions enjoyed a trip to Hawaii for a week. 

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

The air quality is already terrible, seems daft to add to it. Total fire ban, not sure it should exclude  lighting  fireworks. 

Air quality?  Please. You need to get out of Australia and travel a bit. 

First stop China. Then Mexico City.  Then get back to us about air quality. 

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Peter said:

I didn’t know it was about money.  

Thats news to me. 

Scott Morrison’s trip to Hawaii with his security detail would cost more than the fireworks. 

Yet millions around Australia will enjoy them. 

Not many of the millions enjoyed a trip to Hawaii for a week. 

My comment about the money was in response to Cranky's post, hence why I said "maybe in the future". This year there would be no "rest of the money".

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

Why don't they just do 5 minutes of fireworks and donate the rest of the money to a good cause each year.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
43 minutes ago, Peter said:

Air quality?  Please. You need to get out of Australia and travel a bit. 

First stop China. Then Mexico City.  Then get back to us about air quality. 

Did you see the reports which had Sydney as the worst air quality in the world for the past few weeks?. 

I don't care one way or the other about the regular fireworks but to run them on a 33-42° day with predicted smoke haze and dust storms in the afternoon AND a state wide total fire ban just seems dumb.

Even if it was perfectly safe and environmentally friendly I'd have to question the sensitivity of running them while over a thousand homes have been lost and there are still thousands of people out there fighting hundreds of fires. 

Maybe the people of the world will view us more favourably if they see us giving the money to the victims rather than blowing a bunch of shit up. Seriously, 20 minutes after the NYE fireworks the world has forgotten about us and will be watching all the other capitals.

I don't even think the fireworks are that great - they jumped the shark years ago.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There probably are contracts, but if there was a smart government (now there's an oxymoron) there would be insurance or caveats to cover these sorts of circumstances.

4 minutes ago, trinube said:

Did you see the reports which had Sydney as the worst air quality in the world for the past few weeks?. 

I don't care one way or the other about the regular fireworks but to run them on a 33-42° day with predicted smoke haze and dust storms in the afternoon AND a state wide total fire ban just seems dumb.

Even if it was perfectly safe and environmentally friendly I'd have to question the sensitivity of running them while over a thousand homes have been lost and there are still thousands of people out there fighting hundreds of fires. 

Maybe the people of the world will view us more favourably if they see us giving the money to the victims rather than blowing a bunch of shit up. Seriously, 20 minutes after the NYE fireworks the world has forgotten about us and will be watching all the other capitals.

I don't even think the fireworks are that great - they jumped the shark years ago.

Sydney’s air quality will be fine in a few weeks. 

Its not like china or mexico etc... 

a big southerly will blow thru and it will be fine. 

Its like the boat people.

or dams.

Its just The current talking point. 

In time Sydney’s air will be the best its been in years and reporters will need to create some other mass story that only a small percentage give a shit about  

its like vegan menu options at cafes  how many vegans v other normal people go to cafes?  A minute amount  but the media make it out to be bigger than what it is  

just like the NYE fireworks  millions will turn up and watch and not give a shit about the talking points the media try and spin and the gullible falll for and talk about  

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

just like the NYE fireworks  millions will turn up and watch and not give a shit about the talking points the media try and spin and the gullible falll for and talk about  

So you think it's fine for a government to contravene its own fire ban?  It's nonsensical.

As someone who works in the media I don't give a shit what they think. I certainly don't need Murdoch or Nine to 'spin' the bleeding obvious. 

10 minutes ago, trinube said:

So you think it's fine for a government to contravene its own fire ban?  It's nonsensical.

They're not contravening any ban. Fireworks are a standard exemption provided they are regulated & done in accordance with the normal rules. And there is no fire ban currently for Sydney like there are for some other regions in NSW.

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They're not contravening any ban. Fireworks are a standard exemption provided they are regulated & done in accordance with the normal rules. And there is no fire ban currently for Sydney like there are for some other regions in NSW.

There was a total fire ban announced last night for today.