BALANCING ACT

9 hours ago, zed said:

Not sure if you're being serious, but anyway rate of male suicide in Australia has sky rocketed in the last 10 years. Maybe he and others are coping with the load, maybe they're not. You got to take of the body and the mind. And it's not a case of people unable to train, work and KQ, it's the concern they have for their mental health as well as the health of their marriage, their relationship with their kids etc. 

So true. 

There are a few ppl who place so much value on their race performances. That when they have a bad race they stop posting on the forum. As soon as they have a good race they are back posting about how great they are. 

• Thanks 1

Suicide is a terrible thing and a big issue. While I can’t see triathlon being something to be that serious about, figure that’s true for any underlying issue or trauma.

triathletes as a general rule derive value and worth from the time rather than the experience.

when that does not go well people can go to dark places.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, zed said:

Yup i agree. a lot of people are in the sport for the wrong reasons.

Yes, from time to time we can all go there. Remind myself that it’s about doing s b r and enjoying the experience.

• Like 1

if you're struggling for time, buy a wind trainer and treadmill. a treadmill is only one less IM entry in price. 

you can halve your swim training by going to bouy and paddles, every second day (or at least 3 times a week), 2km sets, get out.  that will get you through a sub hour swim in an IM in a wetsuit.   if its non wetsuit, youre on your own...lol

• Like 1
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, trinube said:

Oh yeah it's rubbish. How amazing to believe people can be happy without the newest bike and entering triathlons. If you're judging happiness by your next race and your current bike you have a pretty shallow life.

OK.... So you missed the point of the comment again. The point was - you can't do a lot with out making work (that pays the bills) a priority. What you can achieve with family sport etc etc comes from work (Family, house, travel/holidays, education, life) etc

Anyway......Good thing your not talking about me or I might have taken offence. I have been doing tri's for over 30 years now and I am still on my 4th bike. Yep... its a Polygon TT bike. Its now done 11 Ironman's (and it has a taped up seat post as its cracked at the frame). The good think is it still goes faster that those top of the line bikes when it needs to (training dependent).

But I am still happy. I don't need new stuff, my next bike will no doubt be a nice bike but second hand. The reason for this is because I cannot justify spending top $$$ on a bike when I can better spend money of kids, kids education education, travel etc. Also, I have more passion than just triathlon.....and as a family we love skiing and we embrace it. :) My kids are very happy!!!

• Like 1

I'm working today (public holiday in Adl) to help pay for my next family holiday.  My wife & daughter just dropped in for lunch. We sat together & ate lunch in reception.

Tomorrow I'm taking my daughter to get her hair cut during my lunch break. I'll work remotely on my laptop from the salon for a while. I probably won't be that productive. But I have worked all weekend and really helped the business out. Work knows that and are more than happy for me to take some liberties next week being the last week of school holidays.

It's all about finding the balance. Which is exactly what tridad asked about.

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I'm working today (public holiday in Adl) to help pay for my next family holiday.  My wife & daughter just dropped in for lunch. We sat together & ate lunch in reception.

Tomorrow I'm taking my daughter to get her hair cut during my lunch break. I'll work remotely on my laptop from the salon for a while. I probably won't be that productive. But I have worked all weekend and really helped the business out. Work knows that and are more than happy for me to take some liberties next week being the last week of school holidays.

It's all about finding the balance. Which is exactly what tridad asked about.

I was going to mention you in one of my other posts. Your family, like mine go to 95% of races and don't begrudge you doing what you do because you are smart about it....... And like you say....work, helps you pay for the next trip............with Family. 

Between the two of us, we have done nearly 60 Ironmans, My family have missed 3. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Litmus test- if it adds value to you and your loved ones it’s a good thing. If your shit starts to unravel then seek something else. 

Problem with that is that some have their heads so far up their own asses in pursuit of their hobby they don't realise shit has already unraveled 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, pieman said:

Problem with that is that some have their heads so far up their own asses in pursuit of their hobby they don't realise shit has already unraveled 

I knew a guy who returned from Ironman to an empty house.... 

He’s been racing Ironman for 14 years. He’s been married three times 

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Youve nailed it yet again. 

12 hours ago, Bored@work said:

So true. 

There are a few ppl who place so much value on their race performances. That when they have a bad race they stop posting on the forum. As soon as they have a good race they are back posting about how great they are. 

I had a very very bad race on Saturday :wallbash:

Still here though, you lucky lucky people. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My daughter is 7 and I’m still working out how to ‘get it right’.

In that 7 years, I’ve added about an hour to my IM time. I’ve dropped the number of long rides I do – and they are generally an hour less in time than what I used to do. I think I’ve tripled the cost of going up to Port to try and make it as comfortable and enjoyable for my family as possible – especially race day. My training is done more at night than in the morning as my partner is not a morning person and I take the lead getting my daughter up and going in the mornings. I don’t train with groups as I can’t lock a time in that I will be able to get out of the house.

This is my experience and only applicable to me – everyone will be different. I ask myself each year after Port whether I still enjoy it with the changes in life. Some years it is line ball, others I really do love it. I’ve wanted to race more often for years and now that it is looking more possible financially, I’m not sure that I want to put the family through multiple IM builds in a year. I also don’t know whether I want to drop the coin on another race if I know I may spend quite a bit of time walking due to limited training. It feels hard to justify against all of the other things that the family could do with our money.

I’ve got a very supportive partner who wants me to do the sport. She met me after I had started in the sport (which might help with expectations) and wanted me to keep going as we started a family. Things can change once living the experience though. This became apparent in the first year of my daughter’s life, but it probably took another 2-3 years for us to get things better sorted. I am very lucky that we were able to talk through things and give each other the support for the 2-3 years while we sorted things out.

Now, one of the things we do is to make sure that there is light at the end of the tunnel for my partner. I take my daughter away once every month or so for a night away with just the two of us. Everyone wins from that – even if it means that training doesn’t happen as planned.

• Like 5

I have a miss 7 too. 

We have found just this year we can both run of a weekend and she rides next to us.  

She loves it too.  We always have to finish at a park.  

10k tops. 

The original poster will get there eventually.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, sglowz said:

My daughter is 7 and I’m still working out how to ‘get it right’.

In that 7 years, I’ve added about an hour to my IM time.

So your daughter has an extra hour watching cartoons in the hotel, or shopping with her mum, playing at the playground etc.

Big tip: She doesn't care about your finish time. She just wants to hug her Dad at the end of the race.

I always take the medal in my hand when I cross the line. Then I put the medal around my daughters neck as I give her a kiss & hug for the first time.  She's 15 & she still lights up with pride when I place that medal around her neck.

8FDA5333-94A2-44E9-8B61-D03DE17CCF32.png

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

So your daughter has an extra hour watching cartoons in the hotel, or shopping with her mum, playing at the playground etc.

Big tip: She doesn't care about your finish time. She just wants to hug her Dad at the end of the race.

I always take the medal in my hand when I cross the line. Then I put the medal around my daughters neck as I give her a kiss & hug for the first time.  She's 15 & she still lights up with pride when I place that medal around her neck.

Thats a great pic.

You're mostly right re not caring. She wishes I could finish in the daylight like the others but also wants glow sticks 🤷‍♂️. As you say, the hug is the main thing. If I give her a hug, share some icecream, and give her my full attention to hear all about her race day experience (not mine!!) she is stoked and goes to bed with a smile.

A couple of months ago I was looking at a piece of my daughter's school work that was in her bag. In response to a question as to what her favourite part of her body is she wrote 'her feet, for running along the breakwall'. Thank-you Ironman for making the Iron Kids such a positive experience!

Edited by sglowz
32 minutes ago, sglowz said:

Thats a great pic.

You're mostly right re not caring. She wishes I could finish in the daylight like the others but also wants glow sticks 🤷‍♂️.

Do Busso then.  Even Bored@ can finish in the daylight there.  you can take about 15 hours and still finish in full sun

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

The only thing that will get me back on the start line is the opportunity to smash you in a race.

This will never happen, I know you are scared.

Unlike you, I really retired.

Maybe after you do Kona, I might do Roth with you.

Unless they bring back Ironman Melbourne

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Unlike you, I really retired.

Maybe after you do Kona, I might do Roth with you.

Unless they bring back Ironman Melbourne

Start planning your trip to Roth. 

• Haha 1

My twins were born on the 10th of June this year, with my next big race being the Sunshine Coast 70.3 (08/09). I was training about 10-12 hours per week right up until they were born. I was actually on the bike when my wife went into labour and came home early on instinct to find her recommending that we finish anything that we needed to do last minute, but that's a whole other story. The girls spent 4 days in hospital initially, in which I actually was on a deload week so I went for a few small jogs and did an hour or so on the trainer when I was at home doing washing and bringing back clean clothes to the hospital for the both of us. After that, the girls came home for 3 days and pretty much all training stopped which was fine with me. They were then admitted back into the NICU for 2 weeks and my wife and I were coming home at night time. I went back to do workouts on Zwift and small running workouts that were higher in intensity to make the most of my time. Once they came home again we had the understanding that I could do what I wanted, as long as I was around to help put the girls to bed and spend an hour with them in the morning to give my wife time to have breakfast and a shower and become a human. That continued right through until the 70.3 when I ran a 5:29:37 and really enjoyed the day and the experience.

Since then, I have completely shut down the 'triathlon' training per se and now run on the treadmill once per week and do my local ParkRun on Saturday. I time a Sunday Zwift ride when they go down for their big nap and I do bits and pieces on Zwift at night time once they go to bed. I'm not swimming any more and will be doing the cycling thing for the time being because I can manage that at home. I'll race the TCE in March as a team cyclist and I'm very OK with that. I'll also do a few more TT races when I can because that was next level fun.

I'm incredibly grateful and lucky because I can still train and exercise for fun, earn enough to contribute to my family (wife is still on maternity leave until May 2020), and I get to spend time with my girls in the mornings and at night time before and after work. I'll still race the local Cleveland QTS races because they are short enough that I don't need to specifically train for them, and they're 20 minutes up the road from me, but other than that, I'm there for my wife and family as much as I need to be. My training and exercise only happens after everything needs to be done around the house such as meal prep, baby clothes washing, bottle prep etc etc. I limit my sessions to 60 minutes so I'm usually done by 8 so I have around 90 minutes to spend time with the wife before bed every night as well which keeps her happy. 

I feel like I've found that balance, but at the sacrifice of the 70.3/140.6 dream, but I'm OK with that. Those races will always be there but my girls will only be screaming, permanently awake, constantly hungry, temperamental demon spawn in cute dresses for a short period of time :D  

69598867_10157029462448371_287300210789449728_o.jpg

Edited by BNothling
Added photos for extra cuteness.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think we can conclude this is another fake AP account.

Poor old triDad hasn't been back since he started the thread.

Maybe he saw your first response (his last visit was 5 minutes after your reply) and thought, "Gee, this guy knows what he's talking about. That answers everything I need to know". Then left.

Nah, not possible.

6 hours ago, BNothling said:

My twins were born on the 10th of June this year, with my next big race being the Sunshine Coast 70.3 (08/09). I was training about 10-12 hours per week right up until they were born. I was actually on the bike when my wife went into labour and came home early on instinct to find her recommending that we finish anything that we needed to do last minute, but that's a whole other story. The girls spent 4 days in hospital initially, in which I actually was on a deload week so I went for a few small jogs and did an hour or so on the trainer when I was at home doing washing and bringing back clean clothes to the hospital for the both of us. After that, the girls came home for 3 days and pretty much all training stopped which was fine with me. They were then admitted back into the NICU for 2 weeks and my wife and I were coming home at night time. I went back to do workouts on Zwift and small running workouts that were higher in intensity to make the most of my time. Once they came home again we had the understanding that I could do what I wanted, as long as I was around to help put the girls to bed and spend an hour with them in the morning to give my wife time to have breakfast and a shower and become a human. That continued right through until the 70.3 when I ran a 5:29:37 and really enjoyed the day and the experience.

Since then, I have completely shut down the 'triathlon' training per se and now run on the treadmill once per week and do my local ParkRun on Saturday. I time a Sunday Zwift ride when they go down for their big nap and I do bits and pieces on Zwift at night time once they go to bed. I'm not swimming any more and will be doing the cycling thing for the time being because I can manage that at home. I'll race the TCE in March as a team cyclist and I'm very OK with that. I'll also do a few more TT races when I can because that was next level fun.

I'm incredibly grateful and lucky because I can still train and exercise for fun, earn enough to contribute to my family (wife is still on maternity leave until May 2020), and I get to spend time with my girls in the mornings and at night time before and after work. I'll still race the local Cleveland QTS races because they are short enough that I don't need to specifically train for them, and they're 20 minutes up the road from me, but other than that, I'm there for my wife and family as much as I need to be. My training and exercise only happens after everything needs to be done around the house such as meal prep, baby clothes washing, bottle prep etc etc. I limit my sessions to 60 minutes so I'm usually done by 8 so I have around 90 minutes to spend time with the wife before bed every night as well which keeps her happy. 

I feel like I've found that balance, but at the sacrifice of the 70.3/140.6 dream, but I'm OK with that. Those races will always be there but my girls will only be screaming, permanently awake, constantly hungry, temperamental demon spawn in cute dresses for a short period of time :D  

69598867_10157029462448371_287300210789449728_o.jpg

Awwww so cute 😍

6 minutes ago, Turts said:

Some posts arent here any more. Gee i wonder why. 

OP did repost, but it's gone now. 

I'm not having a go at him at all, because it was a perfectly reasonable and sensible first post on the forum, but if he reposted, it must have been either before Peter's post, or in the 6 minutes after, because the last time he was logged on the forum was the same morning he made the original post, and only 6 minutes after Peter's response. He hasn't been back since.

image.png.9354d04fc098fef613da08f14425e1cc.png

36 minutes ago, Turts said:

Yeah there's a ton of posts that happened after the OPs first post that have now disappeared. Most of the ones accusing it of being another AP account. 

Might have to start screenshotting. 

Think you might be confused...

Check the calculating ftp thread.. has lots of ap accusations and a tough crowd type response..

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, pieman said:

Think you might be confused...

Check the calculating ftp thread.. has lots of ap accusations and a tough crowd type response..

Yeah maybe, but I'm sure I remember some other stuff. Will delete my posts anyway. 

Could be confused.