Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I'm in for the 50. Anyone else in for any of the distances?

The 50 sold out in record time. :blink:

So there are 7.5-8 months until race day. I have zero excuse to be overweight come race day and if I am sucked in! You will suffer like a dog. (That was me talking to myself in 8 months time)

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 for me. 

Will volunteer on the longer ones. 

2019 I vollied on the short and ran the 100. 

Given I need to take at least 12 months off running, the 11 was all I could excuse myself for. Plus, having done the 50 and 100, the 22 covers the same ground. The 11 has a different route, and does some the reverse of the 100/50 through Leura Forest. I wanna see that sucker in daylight again! 

 

Good luck to all! 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nealo said:

So I'm in for the 50. Anyone else in for any of the distances?

The 50 sold out in record time. :blink:

So there are 7.5-8 months until race day. I have zero excuse to be overweight come race day and if I am sucked in! You will suffer like a dog. (That was me talking to myself in 8 months time)

I’m in for the 50 

Hey Nealo PM’d you

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

In for the 50 for the first time at UTA and running/walking 50km.  Any tips and hints welcome. Would be keen to know the approx percentage you can actually run compared to the steps, rock hopping and walking up very big hills??? Staying in Wentworth Falls so hoping getting to the start won't be too hard, we will have a car. Most importantly looking forward to seeing this part of Australia, it looks amazing!!

Edited by Lesmack
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lesmack said:

In for the 50 for the first time at UTA and running/walking 50km.  Any tips and hints welcome...

Most importantly looking forward to seeing this part of Australia, it looks amazing!!

Best tip I can give you is to simply enjoy it...  It's a beautiful part of Australia and a great event.

Prepare for it as well as you can without getting injured, run & walk some climbs and descents and incorporate plenty of steps so that you can be as comfortable as possible on the day.  This is not an event for setting a fast time, this is an event that makes you thankful for being alive and able to have such an amazing experience.  Hopefully I'll see you there!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/09/2019 at 1:16 PM, Turts said:

11 for me. 

Will volunteer on the longer ones. 

2019 I vollied on the short and ran the 100. 

Given I need to take at least 12 months off running, the 11 was all I could excuse myself for. Plus, having done the 50 and 100, the 22 covers the same ground. The 11 has a different route, and does some the reverse of the 100/50 through Leura Forest. I wanna see that sucker in daylight again! 

 

Good luck to all! 

They have an 11km now? They keep going shorter. 5 km next?

I wonder if they've considered adding a 100 miler. It would have a pretty good uptake.

Good on you Turts, for volunteering. :thumbsup:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

They have an 11km now? They keep going shorter. 5 km next?

I wonder if they've considered adding a 100 miler. It would have a pretty good uptake.

Good on you Turts, for volunteering. :thumbsup:

 

Yep last year was the first year for the 11. When they announced an upcoming announcement, there was speculation about it being a miler. But nope. There was a lot of info provided as to why. Mainly from Kerry Sutter who is associated.. 

The 11 goes backwards from the Fairmont down to Laura Forest, then up furber as the others. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife has shamed me into a comeback.  Only woman to race every 100 back to the TNF days. Here she is at 40 secs and 2.30 in the UTA promo video (also guest appearance by another former trannie)

 

Edited by lawman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

In for the 50. Pretty excited by it. Have watched a few ultra docos as well - it seems a pretty laid back sport. Sinking beers and eating donuts. Sounds like my kind of sport. 

Am doing it with my sister and it will be her first real running event. So looking forward to the shared experience there. I don’t think I realise what I’m getting into, but at least I’ve got some running and endurance history. She definitely doesn’t know what she’s signed up for!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Kenneth. I'm still getting a feel for the type of trail events that work for me and those that don't.  On consistent thing though, is the vibe and the people. Incredibly brilliant community. I've had experiences of people sharing food, plasters, helping others in any way they can.:thumbsup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you mean by that FP? As in distance, terrain or a mixture of both? Not know much about the various events, they’ve all got bulk elevation, so presumably you’re not trying to fins a flat one!

The other thing I’m excited by is having a run only event to focus on. I’ve only ever had tris in mind and used that fitness for any running races I entered. 

I’m lucky in that I live only a 5-10 minute walk from some trails, not a huge network or steepness, but certainly preferable to running on the footpath. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/10/2019 at 12:41 AM, Kenneth said:

What do you mean by that FP? As in distance, terrain or a mixture of both? Not know much about the various events, they’ve all got bulk elevation, so presumably you’re not trying to fins a flat one!

The other thing I’m excited by is having a run only event to focus on. I’ve only ever had tris in mind and used that fitness for any running races I entered. 

I’m lucky in that I live only a 5-10 minute walk from some trails, not a huge network or steepness, but certainly preferable to running on the footpath. 

I've found that mentally or skill wise, I'm not very good at the really steep, saw tooth profiles.  Maybe I need to do more of them but I think I'm better pre-disposed to trot along over 80-100kms gradually accumulating 2000 mtrs  vert, than I am shorter really hard climbing.

I find I get a bit despondent when I'm struggling and don't cope well.  Having said that, it's my first year and I am very much still in IM/TT mode where I stress about my time and place in the race.  When it gets very tough and there is nobody around, I forget that everyone else is struggling.

I'm a work in progress :lol:

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, Bosco said:

Also, if anyone comes across a 50km entry let me know. Happy to pay expenses and a charity donation to sellers choice. I am on wait list but not holding much hope there. Cheers 

Are you on the Facebook  it sell page? Almost guaranteed to pick one by there before race day. Just need to train as if if got one coming! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1100947233408129/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, Bosco said:

Also, if anyone comes across a 50km entry let me know. Happy to pay expenses and a charity donation to sellers choice. I am on wait list but not holding much hope there. Cheers 

You'll get one closer to the event and it will likely be very cheap, especially when those who do 6ft Track have realised what they have got themselves into. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, FatPom said:

I've found that mentally or skill wise, I'm not very good at the really steep, saw tooth profiles.  Maybe I need to do more of them but I think I'm better pre-disposed to trot along over 80-100kms gradually accumulating 2000 mtrs  vert, than I am shorter really hard climbing.

I find I get a bit despondent when I'm struggling and don't cope well.  Having said that, it's my first year and I am very much still in IM/TT mode where I stress about my time and place in the race.  When it gets very tough and there is nobody around, I forget that everyone else is struggling.

I'm a work in progress :lol:

That’s the other thing that appeals with ultras - walking is expected 😄

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Im in for the 22k, hope it just rolls over to next year, cant see a date change for this year. The hotel we're booked  into has been in touch, no refund policy however we can keep our booking for when the new dates are announced for a small admin fee of $200. I dont think $200 is a 'small' admin fee. Whichever way I go, cancel & no refund or keep & pay more ... Ive been had

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure the hotel wishes it was going ahead. My biggest concern, I don’t think many of these hotels will survive. I’d be careful with giving any more money at moment but that is exactly what they need. We are all losing out of this and I don’t see a favourable economic situation for the next ‘few’ years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bosco said:

I am sure the hotel wishes it was going ahead. My biggest concern, I don’t think many of these hotels will survive. I’d be careful with giving any more money at moment but that is exactly what they need. We are all losing out of this and I don’t see a favourable economic situation for the next ‘few’ years. 

Agree its tough or will be for lots of people. 2 of our group find out next week if they still have a job, neither can get their refund from the hotel

Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar for our accommodation. No refund unless someone else books it that weekend. If available on rescheduling date then we can move booking. 

Imagine hkw fit we’ll be by race day! Hopefully it’s not in summer...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily on this topic but Easter accomodation in Noosa and Port MAC 70.3 accomodation both very accomodating thus far. I’d hate to be in these guys shoes at moment and will be sure to pend a little more should we get through this solvent and can use the credit. 

Edited by Bosco
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had all my accomodation rolled for holidays this year. Starting with bushfires and COVID - 4 lots of accomodation rolled for no cost. Just thought I’d name them: Bella Casa - Noosa, Lake Crackenback, Mercure Port Macquarie, Lilianfels - Blue Mountains. I offered to pay administration fees- they all pretty well said just make sure you come and spend some money! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I accepted the October date  it reckon there's  no way it will happen. 

I kept my booking for may, and have put a deposit on accom for October. 

Even if the race isn't on  it travel is allowed I'll go. 

No, I'm not rich. I just am only camping at  the caravan park. 

As above, if restrictions go on too long, some of the smaller places are bound to go under. Those that are also residences for the owners might  be ok. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

Entries to the 2021 UTA have been delayed until the 3rd of December. A lot of people deferred so there will not be a lot of spots available.

I took an event credit as I am not sure if I will be able to go in 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, Ironnerd said:

Entries to the 2021 UTA have been delayed until the 3rd of December. A lot of people deferred so there will not be a lot of spots available.

I took an event credit as I am not sure if I will be able to go in 2021.

I deferred, and have taken up the 2021. 

The good thing about UTA is tyou can sell /transfer your entry, so nothing to lose!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My original plan for the 2020 Off Season was the 50km at Surf Coast Century (obviously didn't happen).

Now seriously considering the 50km option at UTA.  May 2021 works well for me, won't interrupt my preparation for Melbourne 70.3 in November.

Previous longest Trail Running Race was 28km Two Bays Trail Run.  Much shorter and far less hills.  Think I'm better suited to the very hilly (and slower) courses.  Suspect this race might change my mind about that.  And longer distance has never been my friend.  But if I survive unscathed, might consider doing another Ironman.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been in for UTA 100 all year, it was going to be my A race this year.  Ive now rolled over to 2021 given the 2 cancellations this year.

Ive managed to get my first Ultra in at Black Cat, a 60k event near Newcastle, similar if not a bit more aggressive elevation profile per km than UTA, so good training. I had a decent sprained ankle just over a month ago which I have been re-habbing like mad, and attempted the Guzzler 100k a week ago, but pulled out at 20k as I started loosing all flexion.

Ankle is slowly improving, Im still entered for a 55k Shoalhaven Summit event next week, but we will see.....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...