Jump to content

Cairns IM 2020


Recommended Posts

Getting in early with a thread. I just signed up last night for my first full distance - Cairns in 2020. Likely the last chance I have to do an IM before I hit the big 4-0! I'm really hoping that 8 months is enough time to train! 

Anyone want to point me in the direction of good advice of where to stay? I've heard the logistics of Cairns can be annoying. Preferably I'd like a place where my partner can have a good time as well and I guess be close to the finish!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am in, my first full IM too although I turn 4-0 in November🤐

That's going to be one packed September! Sep 13 - Sunny Coast 70.3, Port Mac 70.3, Port Mac IM Sep 27 - Cairns 70.3, Cairns IM, Western Sydney 70.3 Though I'm still placing bets that no

I’d say just change physio’s.........

Posted Images

Well if you want to be close to the finish, Cairns it is. Just means getting to the start on race morning on the shuttle. Some people also book one night near the start for Sat night if you want to do that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely stay in Cairns, instead of Palm Cove where the swim start is. Somewhere along the Esplanade, with plenty of food options and along the run course. The shuttle bus runs seamlessly. Even if you do not have a car on the days before the race, the shuttle bus to check in your gear and the bike transport service are very convenient. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Getting in early with a thread. I just signed up last night for my first full distance - Cairns in 2020. Likely the last chance I have to do an IM before I hit the big 4-0! I'm really hoping that 8 months is enough time to train! 

Anyone want to point me in the direction of good advice of where to stay? I've heard the logistics of Cairns can be annoying. Preferably I'd like a place where my partner can have a good time as well and I guess be close to the finish!

Separate transitions is a bit of a ball ache, but managed pretty well by race organisers. It does mean a pretty early start if you are staying in Cairns. I think my alarm went off at 3.30am so I could catch the bus. Stay in Cairns not palm Cove, or stay in Palm Cove until race day and get the missus to check out race day and move to a Cairns hotel. That way she gets to see both swim start and run finish and you get more of a lie in. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zed said:

Separate transitions is a bit of a ball ache, but managed pretty well by race organisers. It does mean a pretty early start if you are staying in Cairns. I think my alarm went off at 3.30am so I could catch the bus. Stay in Cairns not palm Cove, or stay in Palm Cove until race day and get the missus to check out race day and move to a Cairns hotel. That way she gets to see both swim start and run finish and you get more of a lie in. 

That could be a winning tactic! Missus doesn't drive, so I presume it would be easy for her to transfer over to a cairns hotel?

Thanks everyone for the advice so far....

Edited by dazmuzza
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

That could be a winning tactic! Missus doesn't drive, so I presume it would be easy for her to transfer over to a cairns hotel?

Thanks everyone for the advice so far....

Palm Cove is heaps nicer than Cairns and has beaches, Cairns is OK, but busy and not as chilled, so yeah definitely recommend Palm Cove, also good as you can swim and bike the course, plus you're closer to Port Douglas for tourist day trip stuff. Would be pretty easy for her; watch you swim and maybe bike turnaround, then uber to new hotel in Cairns, unpack, time for a few Pina Coladas and then a pleasant stroll to the run course! Plenty of hotel options along the Esplanade that are right on the run course. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in for 2020. I took the roll over option. I will be up for Mad Monday... I am doing the Magnetic Island to Townsville swim next July. I might as well take advantage of the Weather up this way and do a Ironman as a lead up😄

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Getting in early with a thread. I just signed up last night for my first full distance - Cairns in 2020. Likely the last chance I have to do an IM before I hit the big 4-0! I'm really hoping that 8 months is enough time to train! 

Anyone want to point me in the direction of good advice of where to stay? I've heard the logistics of Cairns can be annoying. Preferably I'd like a place where my partner can have a good time as well and I guess be close to the finish!

If your partner wants a good time she can stay with me :) LOL

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19 September 2019 at 1:17 PM, Chuckie M said:

I am in for 2020. I took the roll over option. I will be up for Mad Monday... I am doing the Magnetic Island to Townsville swim next July. I might as well take advantage of the Weather up this way and do a Ironman as a lead up😄

Chuckle, do you have a link to the sland swim FB page or website?  I have plans to do the island swim in 2021.

are you doing the magnetic island sprint Tri this year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2019 at 5:54 PM, Greyman said:

Chuckle, do you have a link to the sland swim FB page or website?  I have plans to do the island swim in 2021.

are you doing the magnetic island sprint Tri this year?

Hi Greyman,

                I won't be able to make Maggie tri .that is  Graham and his cult's race. I will be at Barraman. I hopefully will try and get a date soon for the swim . The TSV tourist swim club are a interesting bunch and not over friendly. I would like to get some Southern swimmers up to race in July...😉

  

Edited by Chuckie M
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...
59 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Quit freaking me out!

Just don't thrash and you'll be fine.  

From memory the water is almost impossible to see in, so you won't see it coming for you anyway.  Thats a good thing

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Peter said:

Just don't thrash and you'll be fine.  

From memory the water is almost impossible to see in, so you won't see it coming for you anyway.  Thats a good thing

You win the internet!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if its easy enough to downgrade from full ironman to half at Cairns?

I've fudged my calf and my physio has recommended I not train for the full but the half may be doable. Since I've already invested money in accommodation and flights etc, rather not make it a totally wasted trip!

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Anyone know if its easy enough to downgrade from full ironman to half at Cairns?

I've fudged my calf and my physio has recommended I not train for the full but the half may be doable. Since I've already invested money in accommodation and flights etc, rather not make it a totally wasted trip!

Just call them.  I'm sure they will hit you for the admin fee and you won't get a refund, but they should do it.

Should be an email address on your entry confirmation

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Anyone know if its easy enough to downgrade from full ironman to half at Cairns?

I've fudged my calf and my physio has recommended I not train for the full but the half may be doable. Since I've already invested money in accommodation and flights etc, rather not make it a totally wasted trip!

I did this last year, sent them an email and they sent me a link to transfer, also I don't think I paid anything as you are going from full to half.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bosco said:

I’d say just change physio’s.........

Um, unsure what you'd mean by that.

Calf muscle tear is a fairly debilitating injury. 

Anyway, considering options - thats all. I may just to consider it if the calf doesn't heal well enough.

Edited by dazmuzza
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Tyno said:

The first time ever that sentence has been typed?! :D

Here’s some advice for you. 
 

put the fork down. You’re fat. 

Edited by Peter
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KieranR said:

How bad is the tear? It’s still a fair way off, is it not plausible to heal it and still do the full but maybe not to the performance level you had initially wanted?

The tear is minor, just some concern that they can re-tear quite easily without proper care. (I've done one before years ago). 

It possibly is plausible - I'm going to see how I'm going at the end of March and make a call. Part of the equation is also that trying to juggle ironman and increased workload is proving somewhat troublesome. I'm trying to get double sessions done during the week and it might be making me injury prone - I possibly just odn't have enough base fitness. 

My performance level prior to the calf tear was "just finish" :D

Anyway, I guess I can just see how I go and if life gets in the way I can downgrade to the half. 

Edited by dazmuzza
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

The tear is minor, just some concern that they can re-tear quite easily without proper care. (I've done one before years ago). 

It possibly is plausible - I'm going to see how I'm going at the end of March and make a call. Part of the equation is also that trying to juggle ironman and increased workload is proving somewhat troublesome. I'm trying to get double sessions done during the week and it might be making me injury prone - I possibly just odn't have enough base fitness. 

My performance level prior to the calf tear was "just finish" :D

Anyway, I guess I can just see how I go and if life gets in the way I can downgrade to the half. 

Fair enough- I’m contemplating cairns myself, I have flights booked but not paid the entry yet, I told my coach on the days I’m on shift (I work 4 days on 4 days off 12hr shifts) I am only able to do one session a day, due to requirement for sleep, family time and the fact I don’t want to do two sessions when more than half the day is spent at work.  Days off is a different story I can do two sessions and it doesn’t affect family at all. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Fresh said:

Who thinks this will still be on in June?

Zero chance given the Australian flu season is usually starting autumn.  
 

id just transfer now and ease up on the training. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Peter said:

Zero chance given the Australian flu season is usually starting autumn.  
 

id just transfer now and ease up on the training. 

I haven’t even started training yet......ill

ease right up 😂😂😂😂😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I haven’t even started training yet......ill

ease right up 😂😂😂😂😂

 

28 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Go diving.

 

 

ya bastard.

Yep its a Sign.  
 

diving for the year now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fresh said:

Flights and accom already booked and paid for...fark, guess I'm getting fat and holidaying in Cairns / PD instead

Yep, me too - bring it on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 4:03 PM, KieranR said:

Fair enough- I’m contemplating cairns myself, I have flights booked but not paid the entry yet, I told my coach on the days I’m on shift (I work 4 days on 4 days off 12hr shifts) I am only able to do one session a day, due to requirement for sleep, family time and the fact I don’t want to do two sessions when more than half the day is spent at work.  Days off is a different story I can do two sessions and it doesn’t affect family at all. 

A mate of mine did a program for me a few years back 2013. I also do shift work and can't train some days.

He said no big deal. - gave me a weeks worth of training and said doesn't matter when you do it just get it done. Some days had 3 sessions....some days had none :)

Make whatever works for you work.
PS: Context - Did a 10:37 at Busso that year. And had been a few years since I had been back in the 10's and that was with a shitty run.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2020 at 6:33 PM, Fresh said:

Flights and accom already booked and paid for...fark, guess I'm getting fat and holidaying in Cairns / PD instead

Flights already booked and entry paid for. I guess I can just cruise around the course solo on race day and declare myself the Asia-Pacific Champion plus the beer mile solo the following day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2020 at 6:33 PM, Fresh said:

Flights and accom already booked and paid for...fark, guess I'm getting fat and holidaying in Cairns / PD instead

Depends if you booked with virgin, they won’t exist come cairns time.  
 

they will be broke.  Guaranteed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Peter said:

Depends if you booked with virgin, they won’t exist come cairns time.  
 

they will be broke.  Guaranteed. 

Good thing I'm flying with Qantas then

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2020 at 1:30 PM, Peter said:

Depends if you booked with virgin, they won’t exist come cairns time.  
 

they will be broke.  Guaranteed. 

yup along with all the other budget airlines like AirAsia. The only reason Qantas will survive is because it;'s our national carrier and will get bailed out by the government. The rest of them will be thrown to the dogs.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zed said:

yup along with all the other budget airlines like AirAsia. The only reason Qantas will survive is because it;'s our national carrier and will get bailed out by the government. The rest of them will be thrown to the dogs.

Business keeps qantas going I think. 
 

I only fly with them for business trips. Jetstar or Virgin for personal.  Heaps cheaper. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Peter said:

I only fly with them for business trips. Jetstar or Virgin for personal.  Heaps cheaper. 

I actually always find qantas to be competitive with virgin...also I much prefer them too. Virgin is cheaper for a reason. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...