Jump to content

Birtwhistle Wins Another WTS


Recommended Posts

Birtwhistle is having a fantastic season. He won his 2nd WTS race in 4 weeks at Hamburg. He beat both Mola and Gomez. He should be a contender next year at the Olympics if he stays injury free.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Birtwhistle is having a fantastic season. He won his 2nd WTS race in 4 weeks at Hamburg. He beat both Mola and Gomez. He should be a contender next year at the Olympics if he stays injury free.

Australia probably won’t select him

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Birtwhistle is having a fantastic season. He won his 2nd WTS race in 4 weeks at Hamburg. He beat both Mola and Gomez. He should be a contender next year at the Olympics if he stays injury free.

Not Mola and Gomez he needs to worry about anymore. But beating Vincent Luis is impressive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Peter said:

Australia probably won’t select him

Hahaha, don't even joke about it. 

I just read he is the first male this season to win 2 WTS races. Also is the first Aus male in history to achieve 2 wins in one season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Trier said:

5th, so 20 yrs of being competitive at the top level. Wow

Not sure of Spirig's longevity, but 5 x Olympics covers 16 years, so you'd also need a top year beforehand to qualify, so at least 17 years at top level anyway. That's a hell of a career.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AA7 said:

Edmonton WTS this weekend. Blast from the past, Emma Jackson has taken the win. Gentle in 3rd. Top females not racing however.

 

 

Still a well earned win, good to have some Aus women racing well, has been a slow season to get started. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/07/2019 at 10:27 AM, AA7 said:

Edmonton WTS this weekend. Blast from the past, Emma Jackson has taken the win. Gentle in 3rd. Top females not racing however.

 

 

That win should guarantee Jackson automatic selection until at least 2032.

#goldenchild

#emmasnowsillhadnothing

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

That win should guarantee Jackson automatic selection until at least 2032.

#goldenchild

#emmasnowsillhadnothing

I honestly thought she had retired...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Olympic test event on today and tomorrow / weekend.

Womens now.  Run cut short to 5k as its so hot so australia decided its no longer a selection race. Decision made mid race

Emma Jackson was in no mans land for the bike.  No aerobars or clip on.  

Emma carney has been replaced on the mic.  Whoever the woman is now, shes 1000 times better.

I wont say who wins.  I hate spoilers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Peter said:

Olympic test event on today and tomorrow / weekend.

Womens now.  Run cut short to 5k as its so hot so australia decided its no longer a selection race. Decision made mid race

Emma Jackson was in no mans land for the bike.  No aerobars or clip on.  

Emma carney has been replaced on the mic.  Whoever the woman is now, shes 1000 times better.

I wont say who wins.  I hate spoilers

 

Decision was made before the race. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Decision was made before the race. 

Decision was made over a year ago when they announced the policy, if the selection race was changed from olympic distance in any way no longer would an auto spot given.

Also, at this stage yes they have been DQ'd, everyone knows that rule, what were they thinking?. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Limited said:

Spoiler alert.

 

 

I didn't watch but I heard not racing to the end. intentionally tying the race

I watched. They both ran over the line together.  

I actually thought with about 500 to go that both littered and that could be an issue. 

Whilst they both ran together over the line, they were bloody trying still. Duffy was closing in.

I'd appeal if I was them and show the HRM file to prove they were trying

Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea. Like Peter said he thought they were trying 

This was posted in the official results:

image.png.5560e2e4da9e4b09904fe138272dba04.png

31.5C doesn't seem too hot that you have to shorten the race. Maybe it was due to the water temp?

https://triathlon.org/results/result/2019_tokyo_itu_world_olympic_qualification_event/337765

Edited by Limited
Added link to results page
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I watched. They both ran over the line together.  

I actually thought with about 500 to go that both littered and that could be an issue. 

Whilst they both ran together over the line, they were bloody trying still. Duffy was closing in.

I'd appeal if I was them and show the HRM file to prove they were trying

Was bloody obvious  was going to happen, Georgia was jogging the blue carpet. If they hadnt held hands as crossed they may had a right to protest, but hold hands as cross is pretry obvious. As the race was shortened they were only racing for discretionary spots, maybe thought would lock them both in. 

And the temp isn't a regular temp. They said WBGMT which is a totally different measurement altogether. 

Edited by Trier
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Limited said:

31.5C doesn't seem too hot that you have to shorten the race. Maybe it was due to the water temp?

So what happens next year if it's just as hot? 

Apparently some of the rowers were treated for heat issues after their test events.

 

Maybe they should have had a 21km Marathon at the Gold Coast last year. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The heat issue could be massive next year too. Reading the ITU info it isn't just the actual basic temp that is the problem but something called WBGT which uses a different measurement  for predicting heat stress in these extreme climates. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Sport shoots itself in the foot at major games with this shit. How many Olympic marathons and 50k walks have been done in the heat? Los Angeles, Beijing, Rio et al..kona gets a bit muggy too from time to time and it is never considered in terms of reducing the distance..the test event needs to be the 'test event' .maybe athletes have to slow down and survive. Change the mindset and deal with the distance in all conditions.

Edited by Coach@triathlon
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

 

Sport shoots itself in the foot at major games with this shit. How many Olympic marathons and 50k walks have been done in the heat? Los Angeles, Beijing, Rio et al..kona gets a bit muggy too from time to time and it is never considered in terms of reducing the distance..the test event needs to be the 'test event' .maybe athletes have to slow down and survive. Change the mindset and deal with the distance in all conditions.

This.

Surely a part of winning the event is being able to adapt to the current conditions and race appropriately. Provide plenty of hydration & medical assistance if needed, but surely if a professional can't modify their race to suit the conditions, they shouldn't be a professional.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At least TA got in before the start to say it wouldn't be an auto qualifier after the distance changed.

It's been a pretty lean year for our girls at the top level, so I don't know who would score a gig at this point.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

 

' .maybe athletes have to slow down and survive. Change the mindset and deal with the distance in all conditions.

Spivey screwed her race. Was easily going to qualify off the bike and blew into 3 million pieces. 

Edited by Peter
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

 

Sport shoots itself in the foot at major games with this shit. How many Olympic marathons and 50k walks have been done in the heat? Los Angeles, Beijing, Rio et al..kona gets a bit muggy too from time to time and it is never considered in terms of reducing the distance..the test event needs to be the 'test event' .maybe athletes have to slow down and survive. Change the mindset and deal with the distance in all conditions.

Oh for God's sake stop being sensible!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, i hope that Tri Aus rethink their selection process as obviously to race well in Tokyo requires great preparation.The 3 on the podium have all skipped some wts races throughout the season. It would be good if maybe they chose 1 guy and 1 girl soon, who could prepare to race the Olympics like many other countries, with their season purely revolving around performing on that day, not chasing all over the world for selection and points. This was a test, and I doubt anyone would say they were happy with their race and they will all go back, along  with their coaches, and plot a different approach. Most athletes(from every country) appeared to spend quite a bit of time  around Japan for heat acclimatisation, worked for some, not for others,(not for any of our Aus). Joel Filliol group stayed at altitude and came to Japan this week. In interviews they mentioned only using makeshift heat tents, none of them performed as well as I expected either, although the two top Aus performers were from this group, but I thought both would been better.  Leaving all selection until June now, would be counter productive to performances in July.

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 degrees is hot? Western Sydney 70.3 gets above that.

We shortened a club distance race a couple of years ago, but it was 40+ and a club run event, so not like we can pull extra aid stations out of our butts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trier said:

Well, i hope that Tri Aus rethink their selection process as obviously to race well in Tokyo requires great preparation.The 3 on the podium have all skipped some wts races throughout the season. It would be good if maybe they chose 1 guy and 1 girl soon, who could prepare to race the Olympics like many other countries, with their season purely revolving around performing on that day, not chasing all over the world for selection and points. 

You'd hope with Miles running the show he would do this being a former athlete.

Or they could go the usual way and just fark it up.

I'm tipping they will fark it up as usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

You'd hope with Miles running the show he would do this being a former athlete.

Or they could go the usual way and just fark it up.

I'm tipping they will fark it up as usual.

Just read in another forum, no guy inside the top 10 had raced the full series. That puts more power to my thoughts, at this end of the season, some are tired and skipped too much training waiting around in airports to be able to perform at their peak. Would just be dumb to expect podium results if not allowed podium level preparation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Trier said:

Just read in another forum, no guy inside the top 10 had raced the full series. That puts more power to my thoughts, at this end of the season, some are tired and skipped too much training waiting around in airports to be able to perform at their peak. Would just be dumb to expect podium results if not allowed podium level preparation.

You are on the money. 

Then there is this. 

DEFC668F-8315-4D8E-8F1E-8722BF806AF5.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, Trier said:

The heat issue could be massive next year too. Reading the ITU info it isn't just the actual basic temp that is the problem but something called WBGT which uses a different measurement  for predicting heat stress in these extreme climates. 

I think the correct terminology is WBGT+

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, who qualified for automatic selection (any nation)?

is J Brownlee’s 5th for Tram GB enough? On a related note, has A Brownlee definitely given up on the Olympics next year, or is he a possibility of racing the WS Grand Final next month ahead of 70.3 WC and then Kona?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, a quick google search indicates that A Brownlee is listed to start a 70.3 race in Ireland the week before the ITU WS GF, and 2 weeks before the 70.3 WC in Nice. 

However I note that GB only has 3 athletes listed to start the ITU WS GF, but if AB did start that would make it 3 races in 3 weekends. Seems unlikely.

https://triathlon.org/events/start_list/2019_itu_world_triathlon_grand_final_lausanne/337811

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...