Running from Adelaide Airport

Stop two of my magical mystery tour and I'm off to Adelaide...

Finish my last meeting near the airport at 1400 tomorrow but don't fly until 2040. I was thinking of stopping getting changed in the airport, dropping bags in the left luggage and then going for a trot from there... What's the area like around the airport? Anyone run from there before?

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Got a hire car?

Alas no. I do have a company Uber account though...

2 hours ago, truck said:

Easy enough to run down to Glenelg and then along the beach I’d have thought?

I shall investigate!

Exit the airport onto Sir Donald Bradman drive and you’ll be facing north.  Turn left and run along Sir Donald Bradman Drive - there is a path on the southern side of the road I think. Run along to Tapley’s hill road (major intersection) and turn right, immediately over the bridge there you’ll see a pathway along the river. Take that to the left and you’ll run to the beach where there is a little park area, toilet, water tap and you can run along the beach in either direction from there. Flat and easy all the way. Lots of water stops along the esplanade. 2km to the right will get you to Henley Beach and coffee shops, 2km to the left will get you to West Beach surf club if you need sustenance. Enjoy!

The Torrens river trail is close to the airport. It starts at West Beach which is about 3-4km away or you could get on where it crosses Tapleys Hill Rd which is about half that distance. From there you can head East as far as Adelaide city and beyond.  

The Bike Path from West Beach heading down South to Glenelg apparently goes a fair way, But I've never been that far. 

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

How lucky is the person sitting next to you on the flight back to Sydney.  

Why don’t you just get an earlier flight and run when you are home. 

I'll be showering in the lounge when I get back to the airport. I've done it a lot, would never get on a plane stinky!

And tomorrow I'm off to Perth and there are limited flight options :(

20 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’m thinking the torrens will be the best option the beach will be a bit nasty tomorrow with the weather we have been having.

Love this weather. Reminds me of home home :D

• Haha 1

Yeah, as other have said, the Torrens river run is a ripper, although the last 2k heading to the beach is a bit boring so turning right and running as far as you want to city direction would be my choice.  Alternatively get yourself to the beach from the airport which is pretty easy and plenty of good running either direction.

1 minute ago, monkie said:

I'll be showering in the lounge when I get back to the airport. I've done it a lot, would never get on a plane stinky!

And tomorrow I'm off to Perth and there are limited flight options :(

So if you have the lounge option, given the time frame you have, that does present an opportunity to have a nice session (keep it discreet though).  Hopefully the QAN lounge you have which is pretty decent in ADL.  The Virgin lounge there is not so nice - particularly the bathrooms/shower.

Just now, GSP said:

So if you have the lounge option, given the time frame you have, that does present an opportunity to have a nice session (keep it discreet though).  Hopefully the QAN lounge you have which is pretty decent in ADL.  The Virgin lounge there is not so nice - particularly the bathrooms/shower.

Usually fly VA domestically but on QF tomorrow because the only VA option was to go back to Melbourne and then onto Perth which my lovely colleague in Hong Kong tried to book me!

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Usually fly VA domestically but on QF tomorrow because the only VA option was to go back to Melbourne and then onto Perth which my lovely colleague in Hong Kong tried to book me!

The only upside to that is additional SC or Points if they (presumably so) hold any meaning to you.

2 minutes ago, GSP said:

The only upside to that is additional SC or Points if they (presumably so) hold any meaning to you.

I'm usually a points hound but have Plat VA already sorted for this year and the extra points are not worth adding three hours to a flight!

21 hours ago, JenS said:

Exit the airport onto Sir Donald Bradman drive and you’ll be facing north.  Turn left and run along Sir Donald Bradman Drive - there is a path on the southern side of the road I think. Run along to Tapley’s hill road (major intersection) and turn right, immediately over the bridge there you’ll see a pathway along the river. Take that to the left and you’ll run to the beach where there is a little park area, toilet, water tap and you can run along the beach in either direction from there. Flat and easy all the way. Lots of water stops along the esplanade. 2km to the right will get you to Henley Beach and coffee shops, 2km to the left will get you to West Beach surf club if you need sustenance. Enjoy!

Thank you! This is exactly what I did and it was gorgeous. Perfect weather, beautiful views, giant machines doing machine stuff. Exactly what the doctor ordered after a morning of feeling pretty glum!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3697036558

• Thanks 1