What's for dinner tonight???

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Daughter made the kids dinner, I cooked the fish, red throat emperor for them.  Coronation trout for me

You will be fine. Sharks wait for whales to die before they start eating them. 

We are going to Mum's for a few days. Neither of us could give a toss what's for dinner, all we know is that we don't have to cook it. 

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Colours on that fish are amazing

Blue bone are so pretty, in the water their blue and green is fluorescent.  Amazing to see them swimming around.  If you want to see a huge bluebone shot up this way the other day, Watch this video 

it was shot about 4 days ago. A few minutes into the episode.

FE419336-F7A3-4C03-B86E-8499DA721F4E.jpeg

7B11A583-3A1A-4CBE-90A8-2AEE09227F10.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, goughy said:

Pulled beef rolls with some roast veges.

IMG_20190811_191627.jpg

That's looks a lot like what we had. Sensational roast beef, sweet potato and beans. Is there anything better than roast sweet potato?

My daughters bday today and wanted fresh fish, soma quick shore dive and we nailed a couple coral trout and a stonker blue bone, the two best eating fish in the ocean I reckon.  And I kid you not, I swam out no more than 40m from the shore with my spear gun and got them.  I live in the best place in Australia! 

1A507578-FD13-48F9-8D09-315825C2B54D.jpeg

6927629D-D806-44DF-8F07-855AFB31470A.jpeg

673228D3-0925-476C-B391-04CD758C852A.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Nice morning out diving today, just wanted the one decent fish, left a few other species  to keep growing for another day, spotted this nice coral trout and nailed him, but as you can see the spear ripped out of the head and I had to grab him to my hands before the sharks beat me to him, I won the battle! That’s the next couple days dinner sorted.

thisnos why I love spear fishing, I choose what I want and if there is a fish I see that’s not quite size or too big etc I just don’t point the gun at them, unlike rod fishing, every bite people try and hook the fish regardless of size, and a lot of the time they die etc, the way I fish is sustainable.  Plus I don’t stink like bait.  

85C22C51-927C-4013-A19C-F8AC1C8A07E3.jpeg

A0F09758-76CC-481C-9C2A-81C89D907651.jpeg

• 3 months later...

With most of town panic buying Food due to the approaching cyclone lining is up, I decided to go to my other supermarket today to stock up on fresh food.  Couple of nice trout shot, should see us through.  Kids dropped to school and dinner sorted by 1030. Didn’t even need to launch the boat for today’s trip.

27A36359-BC14-474C-B954-481EC102DCFF.jpeg

• Like 4
On 05/02/2020 at 5:55 PM, Surfer said:

Looks like youre in for some major wild n weather Kieran. Take care dude

Yeah it’s looking like we’re going to get belted, but it’s not here yet so I went diving again today, here’s my story.  

Well I have a story for you about today mate, it is the truth but Nicole doesn’t believe me, but believe me mate I’m not a fan of fishy tales.  

I went for a dive today, saw some big blue bone but they were being a bit sneaky in and out and flashing past me before I could line them up and put the straight hook through them, then I found this big mushroom bommie, I’ve dived it before but I goes right down to the ground with about 200mm of clearance to look under.

Then I saw a bigger blue bone poke it’s big head out out me, it saw me but I reckon I saw it first, bang, shot the gun and it must have just missed by literally mm.  Anyway I knew I wouldn’t see him again today because they give you one chance and one chance only, I estimate he would have quite easily pushed the scales to 10kg, this is no joke.  I was a bit filthy for missing but hey that’s life, it was murky and dark but I had a go.  

Then I just floated around for about ten minutes in the ocean taking it all in and I had another dive on it as I knew there would be other fish under there but not being able to get a look in I just crushed around the edges looking for cracks and maybe a trout head poking out. Then it happened, I spotted a trout poking its head out, immediately I knew this was a horse of a fish, now I had less of a clear shot on this trout than I did on the bone, so I lined him up and put a shot straight through his jaw, great shot and it’s the only place I knew I could get the spear into as that all I could see, and he went ****ing ballistic under that bommie, I managed to get my hands on the end of the spear and wrestle him out, my eyes went like this 😳 when I saw him, he would have been 850-900 mm long easily. Then the drama started, while he was madly flipping out on the end of the spear and I was racing up to get a breath I saw the flipper was down and not out on the spear, shit I thought so I rammed the spear through more hoping he would slide down The spear towards me, he didn’t he slipped up the end and the spear pulled out! And I watched him swim back to his bommie with a bloody sore jaw! 

I’ll be back! For him  and his mate blue bone!  Great dive and awesome fun.  Managed a smaller bone to bring home to the family which reminds me I better go fillet him now.  Be good mate and stay safe.  

No word of lie that is exactly what unfolded today for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 06/02/2020 at 10:47 PM, KieranR said:

Yeah it’s looking like we’re going to get belted, but it’s not here yet so I went diving again today, here’s my story.  

Well I have a story for you about today mate, it is the truth but Nicole doesn’t believe me, but believe me mate I’m not a fan of fishy tales.  

I went for a dive today, saw some big blue bone but they were being a bit sneaky in and out and flashing past me before I could line them up and put the straight hook through them, then I found this big mushroom bommie, I’ve dived it before but I goes right down to the ground with about 200mm of clearance to look under.

Then I saw a bigger blue bone poke it’s big head out out me, it saw me but I reckon I saw it first, bang, shot the gun and it must have just missed by literally mm.  Anyway I knew I wouldn’t see him again today because they give you one chance and one chance only, I estimate he would have quite easily pushed the scales to 10kg, this is no joke.  I was a bit filthy for missing but hey that’s life, it was murky and dark but I had a go.  

Then I just floated around for about ten minutes in the ocean taking it all in and I had another dive on it as I knew there would be other fish under there but not being able to get a look in I just crushed around the edges looking for cracks and maybe a trout head poking out. Then it happened, I spotted a trout poking its head out, immediately I knew this was a horse of a fish, now I had less of a clear shot on this trout than I did on the bone, so I lined him up and put a shot straight through his jaw, great shot and it’s the only place I knew I could get the spear into as that all I could see, and he went ****ing ballistic under that bommie, I managed to get my hands on the end of the spear and wrestle him out, my eyes went like this 😳 when I saw him, he would have been 850-900 mm long easily. Then the drama started, while he was madly flipping out on the end of the spear and I was racing up to get a breath I saw the flipper was down and not out on the spear, shit I thought so I rammed the spear through more hoping he would slide down The spear towards me, he didn’t he slipped up the end and the spear pulled out! And I watched him swim back to his bommie with a bloody sore jaw! 

I’ll be back! For him  and his mate blue bone!  Great dive and awesome fun.  Managed a smaller bone to bring home to the family which reminds me I better go fillet him now.  Be good mate and stay safe.  

No word of lie that is exactly what unfolded today for me.

Kieran I wonder if those fish talk about you  & have a laugh amongst themselves 🙄

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Kieran I wonder if those fish talk about you  & have a laugh amongst themselves 🙄

They probably do.  But I look at it this way- you win some you lose some.  Right now I’m trying to reason with my 7yr old about why we can’t go to K smart and buy more hot wheels! He hasn’t grasped the fact we are right in the middle of a cat 3 cyclone and are on red alert.  Cabin fever has set in for him 😂😂😂

• Haha 1
On 08/02/2020 at 3:26 PM, KieranR said:

They probably do.  But I look at it this way- you win some you lose some.  Right now I’m trying to reason with my 7yr old about why we can’t go to K smart and buy more hot wheels! He hasn’t grasped the fact we are right in the middle of a cat 3 cyclone and are on red alert.  Cabin fever has set in for him 😂😂😂

All ok in sunny Karatha? Any damage? 

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

All ok in sunny Karatha? Any damage? 

Our little slice of paradise got badly beaten up by cyclone Damien.  Our place is ok, just minor stuff, been busy helping others.  Small towns rock, everyone is helping each other and small busineeses are out with cranes etc lifting trees, engineering companies are out and about with crews re welding people gates back on, cafes making free coffee for the vollies, 

it’s what makes our community so strong!   I’m back at work today which is the last day of this rotation, our Train network held up ok, but of track damage, in our yard here we have a lot of damaged signals etc so our trains can’t move until they are fixed.  Hopefully in 5 days when I get back all will be back to normal.

we got good rain- our dam is back to being full after being at 16% 

our gorges and waterfalls are going to be amazing right now.  I will be heading out to Karijini NP really soon, it will be amazing out there.

my bikes are ok 😂

• Thanks 1
  • 10 months later...
19 hours ago, KieranR said:

Typical Sunday at my place these days.  Homemade pizza on the Webber 

BB474F2A-1D58-48B4-A963-290DAAD61B0E.jpeg

2881F832-840E-42C3-83FA-73B22CC03D63.jpeg

45C34307-4BCA-415B-AB5B-15567365B263.jpeg

924B47E3-795B-4616-BB0F-BA48F3E5FDAA.jpeg

That’s not shit. Mildly jealous...guess I’m going to have to start cooking eventually not just zapping in the microwave 

@KieranR – as you and I work for the same company I think that we should do a job switch. Below I have listed the reasons why you should switch:

·         It is at least 50 degrees colder where I am so no chance of sun burn.

·         There is no ocean and the lakes and rivers are all frozen, so no need for expensive custom fishing rods.

·         There is no alcohol so no danger of failing the daily breatho they still make us do.

·         The food is much worse than Australian mine sites so you will lose weight.

·         There is no pool, so you won’t waste your time swimming.

·         There are no roads and the gym is shut so no having to spend hours sitting on a saddle.

·         You will be stuck on site for 50+ days, think of the money you will save.

·         No Christmas - no hassle of buying presents.

·         You have to wear a mask – so no need to shave as no one can see your face.

When do you want to swap?

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

@KieranR – as you and I work for the same company I think that we should do a job switch. Below I have listed the reasons why you should switch:

·         It is at least 50 degrees colder where I am so no chance of sun burn.

·         There is no ocean and the lakes and rivers are all frozen, so no need for expensive custom fishing rods.

·         There is no alcohol so no danger of failing the daily breatho they still make us do.

·         The food is much worse than Australian mine sites so you will lose weight.

·         There is no pool, so you won’t waste your time swimming.

·         There are no roads and the gym is shut so no having to spend hours sitting on a saddle.

·         You will be stuck on site for 50+ days, think of the money you will save.

·         No Christmas - no hassle of buying presents.

·         You have to wear a mask – so no need to shave as no one can see your face.

When do you want to swap?

😂😂 Nice try- I’ll grow old here and die and be sprinkled over the archipelago.  As appealing as your offer is I’ll have to turn it down. Plus I enjoy working with trains and my company supplied housing, and free power, we’d get the same share scheme and private health benefits I presume so it’s not like your totally missing out......

thanks though 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For Christmas dinner I got two pieces of ham, some peas, roast potatoes, a small bucket of icecream and a handful of curds. Curds are a delicacy here, we often get them on special occasions.

The coffee shop lady made me a Christmas coffee.

Coffee.thumb.jpg.0480e7a4603f5222dd6d338d62c3b70f.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure what’s for dinner but might take something out of the esky from today’s spearing trip.  Epic conditions, could see the bottom clearly from the boat in 15m depth.  Picking the fish then diving down and shooting it.  Have not had conditions like this in ages.

3CE5D315-3826-4E32-B3A2-5E9327CF7F48.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...