Since retirign from Ironman racing, I have been looking for my next challenge. My daughter has asked me to do the Kokoda trail with her as part of her year 10 school trip next year.

The school is arranging everything, flights, tour guides etc. It's a 9 day trek costing $5400 each. Plus boots, pack, poles etc. Tipping we won't see much change out of $12.5k.

My questions.

- Has anyone done it?

-Is it worth the money?

-recommendations on shoes, packs ets

- any tips in general.

$12.5k is a lot of coin for 9 days considering I could take the entire family to Europe for 3 weeks on not much more coin. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Track or trail? Make up your mind! 

58 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Your an ass. 

I would have thought you bald guys would stick together.  Disappointing 

27 minutes ago, roxii said:

You’re an ass 

My wife texted me the other day & said "Your wonderful" I texted back, "No, You're wonderful".

She's been so happy ever since. Should I tell her I was just correcting her grammar?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
2 hours ago, roxii said:

Track or trail? Make up your mind! 

Track

Bored, a mate of mine is over there now and another friend did it last year, I'll put you in touch so you can ask them whatever you want

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I think you should go because your daughter asked you to go with her

When you look back at what you've shared with your daughter, whether it's a in a year's time or 20 years time, I doubt you'll even consider the expense.

This may become one of the best experiences you ever share.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

You took the bait. Track/trail who give a toss

Not me, but apparently some people really get their knickers in a twist over the “correct” term 

FWIW, I’d go if my daughter wanted me to go with her. 

Yep. After talking with a few people last night it we decided to pay the deposit. 

As my wife said Kona would cost $20k be full of Ironman wankers, only one day, and be all about one person. This is $12k for 10 days, 2 people & something we can do as a father / daughter experience. 

• Like 5

Little Miss is super keen to save up for the trip. She had an interview at the local coffee shop for a part time job this morning. She has a trial shift on Saturday morning.

I'm super proud of her but also dissapointed she didn't pick a cafe that sells donuts.......

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Little Miss is super keen to save up for the trip. She had an interview at the local coffee shop for a part time job this morning. She has a trial shift on Saturday morning.

I'm super proud of her but also dissapointed she didn't pick a cafe that sells donuts.......

She's looking out for her Dad. She knows it's easier to change something from the inside, and you'll be able to eat donuts there soon. :)

17 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I hope it is one of those trendy vegan places so you can eat there😋

I have spent a little time in PNG but missed the opportunity to do Kokoda. It is more than being s tough slog. It’s knowing who and why it is important. It is an attitude as well as a legacy journey. 

Read up on it and be take the meaning of Kokoda with you. Your bond with your daughter will be very special. 

FM

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Flanman said:

I have spent a little time in PNG but missed the opportunity to do Kokoda. It is more than being s tough slog. It’s knowing who and why it is important. It is an attitude as well as a legacy journey. 

Read up on it and be take the meaning of Kokoda with you. Your bond with your daughter will be very special. 

FM

Already on to it. We have downloaded a podcast series that we will be listening to on our training runs. 

• Like 2

I did it a couple of years ago through Kokoda Adventures under Charlie Lynn:  https://www.kokodatreks.com/treks/trek-leaders/major-charlie-lynn-oam-ol/

Amazing experience as we had Anzac Day there and went to the Dawn Service at Bomana Cemetry.

You need good and comfortable shoes, blister/lambs wool etc. for blisters - FEET health is key.

And they'll take you to only take 3 pairs of socks - take one pair for every day because if you cross a river, they never dry. On our trip it rained every afternoon we got into camp and drying clothes over the fire was only so so.  It's ok to put on damp clothes but damp socks would spell disaster for your feet.

ps. in relation to Track or Trail - The Aussies overwhelmingly referred to it as the Track. The yanks were more inclined to say Trail (when they eventually arrived).  

Read lots and get the most out of it.   The hiking is pretty easy if you're fit. If you're like me, it's the camping that's tough!! ha ha

• Like 1
On 17/05/2019 at 8:53 AM, Surfer said:

Please keep us up to date with the training , the trip over there & a report afterwards. As someone who doesnt have parents, Im loving this thread 🙂

Just dropped her off at her trial shift at the coffee shop.  Only an hour to see how she goes. 

Im more nervous than her. Been pacing the house for the last 30min staring at the clock 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Bosco said:

Put us out of our misery - how did it go? 

She loved it. Wouldn’t stop talking about it all afternoon. She is going back for another trial next week. 

Dropping her at work for the first time was just like dropping her at school for the first time. 

I got the same damm bug stuck in my eye.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...
On 17/05/2019 at 8:53 AM, Surfer said:

Please keep us up to date with the training , the trip over there & a report afterwards. As someone who doesnt have parents, Im loving this thread 🙂

Training is going well. We have been doing Mt Lofty Hikes with the school group & going out on our own as a family.

I'm really keen to make sure the trip isn't a bored@work & Little Miss bored@work trip. I want her to spend time with her friends and build some solid friendships. I'm lucky to share the experience with her but don't want it to all be about us. For the first few hikes she stuck to my side like glue but has now started going off with her friends. Which is awesome, apart from she seems to be talking to one boy more than the others.....

My wife has been a superstar she's working overtime to help with the costs, does all the training. Except todays hike, it was cold and raining & she had a shit nights sleep. She still got up at 5:20 and slept in the car while we hiked, then helped with picking out our gear. She is doing all the hard yards but isn't getting the reward of the trip. I'm trying to convince her to head over to the San Fran when we are on the trek so she can hang out with friends and isn't stuck at home worrying about us. 

I

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, Bored@work said:

$12.5k is a lot of coin for 9 days considering I could take the entire family to Europe for 3 weeks on not much more coin. 

You know it can be done it under 24 hours. Why take so many days.

19 hours ago, Bored@work said:

My wife has been a superstar she's working overtime to help with the costs, does all the training. Except todays hike, it was cold and raining & she had a shit nights sleep. She still got up at 5:20 and slept in the car while we hiked, then helped with picking out our gear. She is doing all the hard yards but isn't getting the reward of the trip. I'm trying to convince her to head over to the San Fran when we are on the trek so she can hang out with friends and isn't stuck at home worrying about us.

She can come and visit me. 

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Training is going well. We have been doing Mt Lofty Hikes with the school group & going out on our own as a family.

I'm really keen to make sure the trip isn't a bored@work & Little Miss bored@work trip. I want her to spend time with her friends and build some solid friendships. I'm lucky to share the experience with her but don't want it to all be about us. For the first few hikes she stuck to my side like glue but has now started going off with her friends. Which is awesome, apart from she seems to be talking to one boy more than the others.....

I

Wouldn't you be worried she'd be involved in a mass shooting or a gang banger drive by..? If it was IJ, I mean me,  I'd chain her to the kitchen with my list of chores to have done by the time I return..

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, pieman said:

Wouldn't you be worried she'd be involved in a mass shooting or a gang banger drive by..? If it was IJ, I mean me,  I'd chain her to the kitchen with my list of chores to have done by the time I return..

Yeah I know SF is a real shit hole. I was going to send her somewhere nice like the Gold Coast but I didn’t want to spoil her.

Late to this thread! 

When do you head off for Kokoda?

i did it 4 years ago and was a great experience.  Some things that made it better:

- take dry socks for each day and put in zip lock bags to keep dry. These squish down nicely too.

- get a porter if it’s not too late. You probably don’t physically need one but it does help only carrying a day pack. The porter also helps set up and pack your tent, great for a chat and to learn from. Also a good way to support the locals.

nothing to stop you carrying full pack if you want a challenge, but the porter was ace. Mine was the record holder for the fastest Kokoda crossing...great guy and absolute machine!

- take lots of medication. Strong pain killers and antibiotics. You’re a long way from help

- take some snacks or treats. I packed some m&m’s for a treat every couple of days

- take lots of tape and look after your feet! Tinea powder every day, any hot spots rectify immediately, don’t wait. Good boots a must and break them in

- otherwise read lots of stories about the war and enjoy! Spend some time remembering the war and how tough it must have been to be malnourished, sick with dysentery and getting shot at.

have a great time! Your daughter will likely go at a different pace so you’ll spend time by yourselves on the track.

one day I’d like to go back with my mrs and do it again in the opposite direction.

1 hour ago, ScubaSteve said:

Late to this thread! 

When do you head off for Kokoda?

i did it 4 years ago and was a great experience.  Some things that made it better:

- take dry socks for each day and put in zip lock bags to keep dry. These squish down nicely too.

- get a porter if it’s not too late. You probably don’t physically need one but it does help only carrying a day pack. The porter also helps set up and pack your tent, great for a chat and to learn from. Also a good way to support the locals.

nothing to stop you carrying full pack if you want a challenge, but the porter was ace. Mine was the record holder for the fastest Kokoda crossing...great guy and absolute machine!

- take lots of medication. Strong pain killers and antibiotics. You’re a long way from help

- take some snacks or treats. I packed some m&m’s for a treat every couple of days

- take lots of tape and look after your feet! Tinea powder every day, any hot spots rectify immediately, don’t wait. Good boots a must and break them in

- otherwise read lots of stories about the war and enjoy! Spend some time remembering the war and how tough it must have been to be malnourished, sick with dysentery and getting shot at.

have a great time! Your daughter will likely go at a different pace so you’ll spend time by yourselves on the track.

one day I’d like to go back with my mrs and do it again in the opposite direction.

What SS said. They are all the main things.  SOCKS, SOCKS and SOCKS (even though they tell you to only take 3 pair...take 7!! and KEEP THEM DRY).

You'll have an amazing experience on many different levels/themes.  

Enjoy

We don’t go until July 4. Being a school trip they are giving the kids a lot of time to train up for it. 

Do you really need a 65l pack for a 9 day trip? At $450 a pack it seems a bit excessive. Hiking poles also seem damm expensive. 

Any tips for second hand gear or online places to shop. 

Depends on how bulky your stuff is.  Tent, sleeping bag, self inflating mattress, ground sheet, change of clothes, spare shoes, food for the day etc.  It adds up.  
My tent was a bit bulky as was my sleeping bag ( not a down one) so my pack was full, but not that heavy.
If you have personal porters then their stuff goes in your main pack too so definitely 65l then.  
I had trekking poles but only used one at a time.  They were pretty handy, the track is rough as anything and slippery.   
No idea on 2nd hand gear as I borrowed my pack from a mate.  I think you can hire packs as well but I suspect it'll be close to buying one outright.  If you're in Melbourne I can lend you my trekking poles.
Here's a checklist from the company I went through.   https://kokodatrekkingaust.com.au/kokodasurvivaltips/
No way around it, it's expensive if you don't have any of the gear.    
Just the bloody medication cost me around $300.  Painkillers, anti-biotic, anti-malaria, then all the shots. Tetanus, typhoid, hep A and god knows what else.
Worth every cent :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ScubaSteve said:

Depends on how bulky your stuff is.  Tent, sleeping bag, self inflating mattress, ground sheet, change of clothes, spare shoes, food for the day etc.  It adds up.  
My tent was a bit bulky as was my sleeping bag ( not a down one) so my pack was full, but not that heavy.
If you have personal porters then their stuff goes in your main pack too so definitely 65l then.  
I had trekking poles but only used one at a time.  They were pretty handy, the track is rough as anything and slippery.   
No idea on 2nd hand gear as I borrowed my pack from a mate.  I think you can hire packs as well but I suspect it'll be close to buying one outright.  If you're in Melbourne I can lend you my trekking poles.
Here's a checklist from the company I went through.   https://kokodatrekkingaust.com.au/kokodasurvivaltips/
No way around it, it's expensive if you don't have any of the gear.    
Just the bloody medication cost me around $300.  Painkillers, anti-biotic, anti-malaria, then all the shots. Tetanus, typhoid, hep A and god knows what else.
Worth every cent :)

$1400 worth of backpacks, $500 worth of boots.

My mates from the USA just told me they are coming over for Christmas so I'll see if they can bring me some gear. It seems cheaper in the USA.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, The Customer said:

Kokoda isn't going anywhere. Keep it on your bucket list. 

It been on there for years. We will get it done. Even if it just Emily & I. 

it’s a shame I was enjoying hanging out with the parents & other kids 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was due to fly out to PNG to do Kokoda on Monday last week.. all packed and ready to go. My trip got cancelled on Sunday night. 

In hindsight it was the right decision.....  after an hour of tears.  I had trained hard over summer too. 

On the upside, I went to Broome, enjoyed the sunshine and lazed by the pool for a few days while I was on leave. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I feel your pain. I was due to fly to Arusha, Tanzania, in May to finally meet a beautiful young lady I have been sponsoring for 12 years....when she started in grade 1. I was going to watch her graduate from year 12 and meet her family. Three years in planning. 😞

• Sad 5