Port - Race Day

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy with my day in the 70.3. 7th in M40-44 AG - and decided to take the world champs slot in Nice. There were 4 slots for my AG and it rolled down.  So it turned out to be a very expensive

Too little training and too many injuries conspired for a long, tough day. I always knew it was going to be a grind. I hesitated to enter for quite a while, not knowing how my body would hold up.

Rolling around town at the moment. In a sleepy haze. Been awake since 5am. Bought my 70.3 finisher hoodie, trying to get pumped for beer mile, might need a nap first 😂 race went well, bike PB of 20min

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Clyde said:

Is there somewhere to watch the finish line at Port live?  The link on Facebook Live was excellent but they have now switched over to IM Arizona, so I was wondering if there was another way of watching it.

Still there. Part 2

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

What does Ironman Australia even mean? The championships are in Cairns this year. 

Cairns is ironman asia pacifics championship 

port is ironman Australia 

busso is the ironduathlon championships apparently 

• Haha 3
8 hours ago, Notsofast said:

Luke Bell just walked up MFD. looks another DNF?

Yep, DNF. He didn’t look to be injured or cramping and bike didn’t appear to have a flat or anything obvious. I would be keen to hear what happened. Has he entered Cairns and pulled the pin to save himself for that race?

14 minutes ago, monkie said:

That was horrible.

Terrible day at the office.

Swim great. Bike bad. Run worse. 11:01:XX. Not a happy bunny.

Great job. Go celebrate the effort and analyse your effort and result tomorrow. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, monkie said:

That was horrible.

Don't beat yourself up mate. Plenty of us here would love such a 'horrible day'. :clapping:

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

Irrespective of all the talk on which course record.....Pauli Kiriu doing 8:06 seventeen years ago and they are still struggling to go faster is damn impressive!

before ‘superbikes’, specific nutrition drinks, speed suits, electronic gears etc.

20 minutes ago, monkie said:

That was horrible.

Congrats, youve just done an ironman. Enjoy the celebration

• Like 1

Yep, will done monkie!

I bet you learned a lot more about yourself having a tough day and getting it done, than you would have if everything fell into place.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, The Customer said:

course seems a bit short so not comfortable with the Australian Champs record claim. I'm seeing 176-178km on Strava from those who raced.

179.3 -179.4 on a couple for strava I have seen. 

18 minutes ago, Nath. said:

Irrespective of all the talk on which course record.....Pauli Kiriu doing 8:06 seventeen years ago and they are still struggling to go faster is damn impressive!

before ‘superbikes’, specific nutrition drinks, speed suits, electronic gears etc.

But not before PED’s..... 

I have no idea who Pauli Kiriu is never heard of him so not accusing. 

• Sad 1
33 minutes ago, Nath. said:

Had his trusty Polar HRM though :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think he's considered one of the early greats.  They've talked about, and mentioned him a bit on imtalk.

1 hour ago, monkie said:

I measured at 3779.

Must have been a good current or down the rolling start help with flow?

some people I know went faster than expected in the swim and also the pros swam super fast too. 

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Must have been a good current or down the rolling start help with flow?

some people I know went faster than expected in the swim and also the pros swam super fast too. 

I came out with a 1:06 and was expecting 1:10... So either I was on fire (the rest of the day would suggest otherwise) or we had a bit of a current helping.

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

That's the bit I struggle with. Busso is currently the oldest running IM in Australia. 

Foster was the original and first Ironman. But that event is no longer on. They created a new race in Port Mac. With it's own history, course etc. 

So if they stop running Ironman Port Mac & start a new race in Geelong will that then become Ironman Australia?

It was/is Ironman Australia, not IM Forster, or IM Port Mac, yes the location and course have changed many times,  hence the Grand Pa’s axe analogy applies, but it is still IMOZ. If your line of thinking is applied, then Kona isn’t the Hawaiian IM.

22 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Wasn't he one of the first to really embrace HR monitors?

Yeah. Probably helped he came from Finland the home of Polar. But he was known to be a real student of the HRM data. 

I just realised I didn't pick up a finishers' t-shirt... I was in a bit of a state / daze in the recovery tent (still feel like crap now). What are the chances of getting one tomorrow do you think?

And well done @Scuba Steve, it was horrible out there. Not entirely sure why! And I was in tears pretty much from 16km onwards!

4 minutes ago, monkie said:

I just realised I didn't pick up a finishers' t-shirt... I was in a bit of a state / daze in the recovery tent (still feel like crap now). What are the chances of getting one tomorrow do you think?

And well done @Scuba Steve, it was horrible out there. Not entirely sure why! And I was in tears pretty much from 16km onwards!

You should be right to get one.

30 minutes ago, Hymie said:

It was/is Ironman Australia, not IM Forster, or IM Port Mac, yes the location and course have changed many times,  hence the Grand Pa’s axe analogy applies, but it is still IMOZ. If your line of thinking is applied, then Kona isn’t the Hawaiian IM.

I don't understand the Pa's Axe analogy? does that mean no matter how many different axes Pa has it will always just be called Pa's Axe?

2 hours ago, monkie said:

That was horrible.

You live and learn mate. A finish is a win. Congrats 

FM

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Hymie said:

I just looked at the Ironman page at how they name the races. It seems to bit all over the place how they name their events. 

Countries with multiple races seem to list the region/area in the name of the race. I couldn't establish a clear pattern for naming races. 

Kona is listed as "World Championships, Kailua-Kona Hawaii" 

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

But not before PED’s..... 

I have no idea who Pauli Kiriu is never heard of him so not accusing. 

Be careful here .He is a good mate of mine we talk on Facebook a bit. Made a transition from athlete to Member of Finnish parliament 😄

2 hours ago, monkie said:

Not sure how they do it in Oz mate but in Wales they have your shirt size on your bib, then cross it out when you collect your shirt. I f they do the same in Oz, maybe take your unchecked bib as proof?

• Like 1

I must be of the old brigade, the number here that haven't heard of Pauli Kiuru. I can remember my race goal at Forster was to be off the bike and heading to Tuncurry before Pauli completed the Tuncurry section for the second time (crossed paths on the bridge one year). As time went by goal posts moved to being off the bike before the front runners finished and then to be finished before dark and now to just enter again and finish. I bought a Zipp 950 disc off Pauli and had him autograph it, was when he changed sponsors from Zipp to Corima I think.

• Like 6

I only joined he in about 2008, did my first trip around then.  I've heard of him.  Even knew he was a politician now.

Well done everybody. How does the body feel today? All prepped for the Beer Mile? Personally, I think that's be easier than a long drive home today. Six hours in the car was murder for me after the last Forster I did.

1 hour ago, bert40 said:

I must be of the old brigade, the number here that haven't heard of Pauli Kiuru. I can remember my race goal at Forster was to be off the bike and heading to Tuncurry before Pauli completed the Tuncurry section for the second time (crossed paths on the bridge one year). As time went by goal posts moved to being off the bike before the front runners finished and then to be finished before dark and now to just enter again and finish. I bought a Zipp 950 disc off Pauli and had him autograph it, was when he changed sponsors from Zipp to Corima I think.

For all the young pups, here is Pauli leading some other bloke you probably don't know in Hawaii '91😉

Pauli K.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
46 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

And Coffs Pete also made it just under the cut off. Whoa man

I caught up with Coffs Pete at the ends of my last lap.  Top effort bloke!

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

How many is that for Pete? That guy is awesome. People like him are what make Ironman a great day. 

Caught up with him in coffs a feee years ago for coffee & he’s a celebrity in town, everyone knows him.

17 I think. He is an utter legend. We were watching nervously all day yesterday. First thing I did when I opened my eyes this morning was to check he made it. 

He is such a generous man. We stayed with him a night in Coffs last year. He couldn't have done more for us. 

55 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Well done everybody. How does the body feel today? All prepped for the Beer Mile? Personally, I think that's be easier than a long drive home today. Six hours in the car was murder for me after the last Forster I did.

Overly giddy and annoying the wife. Body is fine #shouldhavetriedharder. I've already switched from "never racing long course again" to "maybe we could have another crack in a year or so". Alas no beer mile as we have to do the 5 hours home. Flying to Singapore tomorrow. Joy.

Well done everybody!

• Like 4