Nobody saw this coming... Sun Yang in trouble

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, zed said:

I'm going to guess 4 year ban, which is his career pretty much over.

It will probably be back dated. 2 years. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

The way things are looking at least he won’t miss an Olympics 

Haha

Swiss courts - the Swiss Federal Tribunal and the supreme court. Swimming World has a pretty comprehensive article, with props to Mack Horton, too:

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/sun-yang-vs-wada-verdict-damning-eight-year-ends-career-of-chinese-controversy/

By not backdating the suspension, CAS decided to allow the World Championship results to stand.

2 hours ago, Kenneth said:

8 years is a huge sentence. Not saying cheats don’t deserve it but it’s hardly consistent. Similar to the lance treatment. 

This is his 3rd ban which I guess explains the severity.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Kenneth said:

Yeah I didn’t take that into account. I also didn’t know this was his third, thought second. I’ll go do some reading. 

No you're right, this was his second, I thought there had been another incident though.

41 minutes ago, zed said:

No you're right, this was his second, I thought there had been another incident though.

He's been in trouble for behavioural issues at meets...only two doping violations though

• Like 1

I also think that not just his doping but the obvious disrespect for the entire anti doping sysrem shown. His narcissistic behaviour believing he was above the rules as they stand and that he and his ppl could make their own rules on the system in place, that's what got him 8 yrs. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Trier said:

I also think that not just his doping but the obvious disrespect for the entire anti doping sysrem shown. His narcissistic behaviour believing he was above the rules as they stand and that he and his ppl could make their own rules on the system in place, that's what got him 8 yrs. 

So kind of like the LA of swimming.

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, 2bruisedplums said:

I read the article. It seems one of the officials had posted racist comments online about Chinese. He probably has a fair case for an appeal but doubtful his sentence will change. 

That's the problem with the internet ... it has a memory. 

This is just a technicality and the Swiss will see that the penalty isn't changed, but the judges are!