Big Husky 2019

When can we start a big husky thread?

Prizna - I guess we can now, as most of the keen folk have already booked their digs for the weekend (and when I did last month, there was almost nothing affordable!)

I'm in, Scotty and I will be there - we are staying in Vincentia. Arriving Friday and leaving Monday.

Race plan is sprint distance for me and enticer for Scotty on the Saturday and maybe the swim or bike for a team on Sunday, if you want to make up a team let me know.

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, xblane said:

😮 Oh no. 4 turns x 3 laps! I've got to get off my trainer and learn how to turn.

I spent 6 months exclusively on the trainer leading into busso, rode off the road and nearly ate shit on a turnaround. Guys behind me were shaking their heads

Edited by prizna
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I loved Husky last year, went down for a Worlds sprint qualifier. Just saw the 50% off entry fee email and pick up and drop off from airport. Tempting.

It's a cracking weekend. Its best described as 'noosa without the wank'

• Haha 1
54 minutes ago, prizna said:

I spent 6 months exclusively on the trainer leading into busso, 

Do you reckon that 6 months on the trainer made you a stronger cyclist?  than say if you did some road rides as well as trainer rides like  a "normal" build would incorporate

3 hours ago, prizna said:

It's a cracking weekend. Its best described as 'noosa without the wank'

Can someone smooth out the roads though please. 90k on that bumpy stuff is not my idea of fun.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Can someone smooth out the roads though please. 90k on that bumpy stuff is not my idea of fun.

The new road past the shopping centre near Vincentia is awesome.  I'm guessing the new turnaround is just before that?

22 hours ago, KieranR said:

Do you reckon that 6 months on the trainer made you a stronger cyclist?  than say if you did some road rides as well as trainer rides like  a "normal" build would incorporate

Stronger, no. Specificity in training was valuable though, race day ride was essentially just a repeat of so many Saturdays prior. I can't speak highly enough of how comfortable I was in the last 60km of that bike leg. Whether that's cause I finally paced correctly or I was just adapted to trainer/busso style riding I don't know....

• 4 weeks later...

How's the training going? What race(s) are you doing? Goals for your race?

It'll be my 4th go at the Long Course after missing out in 2018. With the new course, the goal is to run well, which historically for me is anything under 6:00min/km. Aiming to do 10-20s/km quicker though after a decent run volume in the back half of 2018.

43 sleeps!

I live in the central coast, last year I drove down Saturday morning, went to the event for rego Saturday afternoon. Stayed at a motor inn in Nowra, $110 a night. Drove home Sunday arvo, had a cracking time. I’ll be doing similar this year.

There are options outside of Husky.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, The new guy said:

I live in the central coast, last year I drove down Saturday morning, went to the event for rego Saturday afternoon. Stayed at a motor inn in Nowra, $110 a night. Drove home Sunday arvo, had a cracking time. I’ll be doing similar this year.

There are options outside of Husky.

was it easy to park on the sunday morning

On 13/01/2019 at 9:06 AM, BarryBevan said:

was it easy to park on the sunday morning

I’ve been down there a lot. We have a caravan at Gerroa which is about a 40 minute drive to Huski but it means it costs me nothing. If you get there early parking is easy. 

If you get a good spot it usually means you can get away early too if you need to. 

For the Pro Buffs... currently we have PJ and Crowie both confirmed for an old school battle. Kieran Roche returning to defend his tittle. Caroline Stefan in the Woman's plus a number (about 10 more pro's) that on the cusp of signing on oh and some guy called Seb in the teams :P    

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 10:21 AM, Limited said:

Does anyone know what the on course nutrition will be? And what they will have at the run aid stations. Can't find an athletes guide on the website

Powerade and SIS gels

Edited by xblane
  • Thanks 1
On 10/02/2019 at 1:20 PM, willie said:

Gotta take what you can get... Not different to Gatorade being at a lot of the major US races now. 

Fair enough. I’ll start with 2 biddons of Endura and water in the shiv fuel cell. That, my own gel selection and an additional water biddon or two will do me. Given my next to zero run training regime over Sydney’s extended heat wave, I’ve switched over to the aqua bike, so I’m sure I can make the 100M run to the finish line if I can endure 3 laps of that new bike course. ...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't hit anything (that I noticed), just went *crack*

I have a mate bringing a training wheel and I'm having it looked at, the mechanic wasnt all too optimistic. 

It's a 10spd 60mm. Would prefer something other than a training wheel, but beggars can't be choosers ;)