Wurf watch

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

He's putting out some serious numbers at the moment. 404w for 30 minutes with 450w minute surges thrown in overnight.

On top of all the cycling with Ineos, he’s still running 80km & swimming 20km per week. Amazing.

• Like 1
  • Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can this guy get any better!!!    

Vuelta confirmed 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, wombattri said:

On top of all the cycling with Ineos, he’s still running 80km & swimming 20km per week. Amazing.

Yep. I can't remember seeing him put out over 400w for 30 minutes in the past few years, bearing in mind, he'd be losing ~3-5% at that altitude.

• 2 weeks later...

He probably just loves racing at the highest level, be it rowing, cycling or triathlon. He can't race Triathlons at the moment, and he's still cycling at a level that has him in a World Tour team, so why not.

The next Kona is now 12+ months away. There will be very few IM's in the next 12 months. It makes sense for him to cycle to maintain a high level of fitness and earn some cash.

Wurf seems to like racing a lot, even when he was just doing IM.

• Like 1
On 16/08/2020 at 9:53 AM, Peter said:

Okay so Is this a move by him to keep cash coming in whilst there are no triathlons? 

if not, I don’t get it. 

94A4862D-F20E-4DD1-AA8E-D77CB6A50264.jpeg

I’d say that’s the start of his racing build for either the Giro in October or the Vuelta in November. If so, it makes perfect sense to me. No pro triathlons this year, but a very compressed protour program gives him a good opportunity to ride a decent grand tour. 4-5 Racing days in Belgium is a good start. Lack of mountains in Belgium doesn’t matter at this point of his preparation - but putting racing miles in the bank does matter. 

Edited by Andrew #1
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Nick777 said:

Something's brewing...he is doing big k's at the moment. Grand Tour?

Quite likely. With all 3 tours jammed in to a short period, and the Giro & Vuelta overlapping, then add to that the risk of losing team members in the mean time due to Covid, they have to have every rider ready to do a GT. 

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Quite likely. With all 3 tours jammed in to a short period, and the Giro & Vuelta overlapping, then add to that the risk of losing team members in the mean time due to Covid, they have to have every rider ready to do a GT. 

Yeah that's what I thought.

I will never not-be impressed by how much volume pro athletes can do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wurf announced as being in the Ineous Vuelta squad.  

will he try to squeeze in an Ironman before the end of the year. Adam Hanson is planning to do IM Portugal 3 weeks after the Giro finishes. Maybe Cam could shake his legs out at IMWA (I assume he’d need to quarantine for two weeks though). 

Edited by Andrew #1
3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Maybe Cam could shake his legs out at IMWA (I assume he’d need to quarantine for two weeks though). 

IMWA is not going ahead in 2020 😭

22 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

IMWA is not going ahead in 2020 😭

Ah. I’m not keeping up with the real news ... for some reason I thought they were doing it like cairns - for WA residents and for those who were prepared to isolate for 2 weeks. 

3 hours ago, Nick777 said:

I thought he was an outside chance to win Kona next year, I think his chances now at being a factor are basically zero. 

Why? You may not have noticed but there has been next to zero triathlon racing this year. He’s qualified for Kona next year already, and up until September was still keeping up with the running. Assuming there is some sort of covid normal next year, then he won’t have missed a step in his preparation for Kona - which will be more than 10 months away after the Vuelta wraps up in 3 weeks. In fact I reckon he’ll be stronger in his strongest discipline without compromising the other two ...

12 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Why? You may not have noticed but there has been next to zero triathlon racing this year. He’s qualified for Kona next year already, and up until September was still keeping up with the running. Assuming there is some sort of covid normal next year, then he won’t have missed a step in his preparation for Kona - which will be more than 10 months away after the Vuelta wraps up in 3 weeks. In fact I reckon he’ll be stronger in his strongest discipline without compromising the other two ...

IMO, he needed another year or two of the same sort of running & swimming as last year in order to go close at Kona.

His average k's per week are just over half of what he was doing last year. Only doing 40k per week, with big gaps of bugger all (unless he his keeping it secret from his team) is going to set him back a long way. Just my opinion of course.

I don't begrudge him doing what he is doing, mind you. But to win Kona, I would have thought he needed to keep the trajectory he had going with his running. 

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’m a fan but he will only ever be a top 3 at kona.  

id love him to win but...

too many good Germans. 

he has a better chance at winning than a yank. 

What is a Kona win worth in $$ and at what chance, maybe he has weighed it up and prefers to feed his family rather than his ego. 

24 minutes ago, roxii said:

What is a Kona win worth in $$ and at what chance, maybe he has weighed it up and prefers to feed his family rather than his ego. 

What’s a pro cyclist that rides grand tours worth and a pro triathlete that has some sponsors and wins a few Ironmans a year and maybe Kona?

guessing. 
top 5 pro male triathlete. 200k a year on average over the top 5?

Dr google 

The UCI World Tour

The UCI world tour launched by ‘Union Cycliste Internationale’ gives a great amount of money to cyclists racing with WorldTour squads. A minimum wage of $2.75 million USD approximately should be given to a pro cyclist participating in this.

1. The neo-pros might make little less around $2.23 million USD.
  2. The Pro Continental squads must pay minimum around $2.30 million USD to their pro riders.

Typically most neo-pros start with minimum wages but the exceptional riders with great success go all above the race in the terms of money too.

3 hours ago, Nick777 said:

IMO, he needed another year or two of the same sort of running & swimming as last year in order to go close at Kona.

His average k's per week are just over half of what he was doing last year. Only doing 40k per week, with big gaps of bugger all (unless he his keeping it secret from his team) is going to set him back a long way. Just my opinion of course.

I don't begrudge him doing what he is doing, mind you. But to win Kona, I would have thought he needed to keep the trajectory he had going with his running. 

I doubt many pro triathletes are doing the same training across all three disciplines this year for obvious reasons. Doing 30km a week on average _ which is what his strava feed has it at, whilst racing the pro tour will not see his running go backwards. Nor will he struggle to get slowly back to 100km weeks over the off season. Come March next year he should be stronger across all three disciplines than he was in 2019.

That said, I tend to agree with Peter. I think he’ll bag a top 3 in Kona before he’s done, but that little extra bit to translate into a win? I think he’ll need some luck. The ‘big three’ Germans will be very keen to kick as many goals as possible before they retire. Brownlee and Gomez likewise. Hoffman is just around the corner from putting together a ‘complete’ race in Kona. Wurf will be in the mix, but will it be enough? Heart says yes, head says ‘missed by that much’ ...

• Thanks 1
On 19/10/2020 at 3:19 PM, Andrew #1 said:

I doubt many pro triathletes are doing the same training across all three disciplines this year for obvious reasons. Doing 30km a week on average _ which is what his strava feed has it at, whilst racing the pro tour will not see his running go backwards. Nor will he struggle to get slowly back to 100km weeks over the off season. Come March next year he should be stronger across all three disciplines than he was in 2019.

That said, I tend to agree with Peter. I think he’ll bag a top 3 in Kona before he’s done, but that little extra bit to translate into a win? I think he’ll need some luck. The ‘big three’ Germans will be very keen to kick as many goals as possible before they retire. Brownlee and Gomez likewise. Hoffman is just around the corner from putting together a ‘complete’ race in Kona. Wurf will be in the mix, but will it be enough? Heart says yes, head says ‘missed by that much’ ...

I don't know, man... to my thinking, how can his running not suffer from doing hardly any running for the last 3 months, compared to the 100k weeks he was doing at the same time last year? On the surface, it might not look like it's going backwards.. but I reckon the lack of consistent swimming & running won't show itself until it does (if that makes sense). 

I have been on the bandwagon for a long time, and for mine, this year will not help him win Kona. I seem to be one of few who thinks that if he had a perfect prep this year & next, he could actually win it, regardless of who shows up. But I don't think that any more.

Edited by Nick777
Grammar
12 hours ago, Nick777 said:

I don't know, man... to my thinking, how can his running not suffer from doing hardly any running for the last 3 months, compared to the 100k weeks he was doing at the same time last year? On the surface, it might not look like it's going backwards.. but I reckon the lack of consistent swimming & running won't show itself until it does (if that makes sense). 

I have been on the bandwagon for a long time, and for mine, this year will not help him win Kona. I seem to be one of few who thinks that if he had a perfect prep this year & next, he could actually win it, regardless of who shows up. But I don't think that any more.

If we were talking about an Ironman in December or even March, then I’d agree with you. But there is 11 months since the end of the Vuelta and Kona next year. If he’d had a year off running altogether, he’d struggle to get the volume up for a full year’s training program, but he’s done some big running weeks as late as August, so there is very little difference between his situation and say Jan getting that fractured sacrum in September 2018 and then going into the off season and not racing again until April (I think) the following year. Frodo has t trained for a couple of months this year because of a serious bike accident. So he’s actually going to be be behind Cam in running prep by the time the Vuelta finishes.

Except Wurf isn’t injured (that we know of); so building again to the base phase (probably 60km a week in the off and preseason for a pro) won’t take him more than about 8 weeks. Then he’ll be in exactly the same situation as he would have been at the beginning of this year. It’s a similar situation with his swimming. He’s averaging 8km across the year, with some big swim weeks at late as August.

He’ll be fine by December ...

So, physiologically, he’s kept in touch with the other two disciplines so that at worst he’s ‘marking time’, but unlike his other competitors he’ll start next season with the benefits of about 50 racing days ‘in the bank’ (excluding sim racing). Relative to his main competitors he’s actually a step ahead I think. Although Brownlee has been racing everywhere that has been holding tris over the last month, so that will put him in good stead for his ‘triple crown’ next year (assuming he’s still interested in the Olympics).