Wurf watch

5 hours ago, Aidan said:

finished stage 1 in a small group about 4 minutes back from the lead

https://www.strava.com/activities/3114216880

interesting AP was only mid 220 watts (NP a lot higher)

Good that he was able to show his power; it's been conspicuously absent since he's been riding with Sky.

For those that aren't on Strava & like this sort of thing, see below.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 4.51.52 pm.png

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can this guy get any better!!!    

I raced the Qld 100km TTT championships one year with Nick Croft, Troy Fidler & Angus Charlton. Hardest race I've ever done in my life, for all of us, but as soon as we finished we donned the runn

Posted Images

5 hours ago, The new guy said:

So he finished up mid pack in the TT with average power of 380 odd, then ran a half mara off the bike just under 4 minute average pace.

Thats after 4 stages averaging 190 odd kms a day, with some pretty intense efforts.

Machine.

Half marathon? I predicted a 30km run. Soft.

On 24/02/2020 at 10:53 PM, Andrew #1 said:

What is Richie doing laying down that 7km session. It makes no sense.

He is doing heaps of swimming. 
week of 

27jan.  25kms

3 feb. 14km

10 feb  17km
17 feb 18kms

24feb  10k after 2 days  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Didnt he get smashed in the trials last time? I guess it would be pretty competitive...is Wurf good enough to be a shorter distance racer?

He would need to find another 90 second improvement in the pool over 1500M to just keep contact with the fast feet in a ITU race. 

To recap: He did one WC race to establish where we was at last November (see above in this thread), was training to attempt to do exactly that with a view to doing 2 early season WC and Continental races (South Africa WC being the first) but once South Africa was cancelled we didn’t here much from Cam until he was announced out of the blue as Team Ineos’s 30th rider. I’m guessing his focus had changed.

That said, there is no pro cycling at the moment and won’t be until his scheduled return to long course triathlon focus after April. I’m guessing we wont see him back on the cycling pro tour again this year, but will race Ironman in the second half of the year under the Team Ineos banner.

He posted a short funny video of him swim training on a skateboard in his apartment at the moment. Which seems to indicate he’s in lockdown wherever he is right now. After the lockdown eases I wonder whether he will have ready access to a lap pool. If so, I could see him punching out 50km swim weeks whilst he’s waiting for the all clear to resume racing. So, perhaps an Olympic 2021 campaign might still be in the back of his mind.

His pitch to the selectors is that IF he can get out of the water close enough to the front to be relevant, he can guide Birthwhistle to the front of the lead pack coming into T2, giving Jake his best shot at a medal. Also in the relay he could break apart the race with a 110% effort on the bike. Also setting it up for Jake to come home for the win.    

57 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

He would need to find another 90 second improvement in the pool over 1500M to just keep contact with the fast feet in a ITU race. 

To recap: He did one WC race to establish where we was at last November (see above in this thread), was training to attempt to do exactly that with a view to doing 2 early season WC and Continental races (South Africa WC being the first) but once South Africa was cancelled we didn’t here much from Cam until he was announced out of the blue as Team Ineos’s 30th rider. I’m guessing his focus had changed.

That said, there is no pro cycling at the moment and won’t be until his scheduled return to long course triathlon focus after April. I’m guessing we wont see him back on the cycling pro tour again this year, but will race Ironman in the second half of the year under the Team Ineos banner.

He posted a short funny video of him swim training on a skateboard in his apartment at the moment. Which seems to indicate he’s in lockdown wherever he is right now. After the lockdown eases I wonder whether he will have ready access to a lap pool. If so, I could see him punching out 50km swim weeks whilst he’s waiting for the all clear to resume racing. So, perhaps an Olympic 2021 campaign might still be in the back of his mind.

His pitch to the selectors is that IF he can get out of the water close enough to the front to be relevant, he can guide Birthwhistle to the front of the lead pack coming into T2, giving Jake his best shot at a medal. Also in the relay he could break apart the race with a 110% effort on the bike. Also setting it up for Jake to come home for the win.    

I assume so much depends on when we are clear of this virus and races can begin again. since Mooloolaba World cup, Aus have now qualified 3 male spots and 2 female, once races begin again this may change again though. 90 seconds over 1500m is certainly not easy to find, most would say near impossible. In my opinion if Aus have 3 spots he may have an outside chance, if they have only 2 he has none. Talk is all about relay medals, and as we have seen with our girls, if you can't swim, bike and then also run 1600m with the best of them you will be handing over a deficit.  

3 hours ago, Trier said:

I assume so much depends on when we are clear of this virus and races can begin again. since Mooloolaba World cup, Aus have now qualified 3 male spots and 2 female, once races begin again this may change again though. 90 seconds over 1500m is certainly not easy to find, most would say near impossible. In my opinion if Aus have 3 spots he may have an outside chance, if they have only 2 he has none. Talk is all about relay medals, and as we have seen with our girls, if you can't swim, bike and then also run 1600m with the best of them you will be handing over a deficit.  

Agreed. It was always a long shot, but what a great dream to pursue. 

5 hours ago, Trier said:

Talk is all about relay medals, and as we have seen with our girls, if you can't swim, bike and then also run 1600m with the best of them you will be handing over a deficit.  

Yep, the ‘weak link’ in the relay is probably the two women’s spots. Any two of the top 3 male prospects could easily ‘get it done’ early in the relay. Even Ash can be left a bit behind in the swim and if she gets gapped, its hard for the next competitor to bridge. I think Wurf actually mentioned his potential ability to either bridge back or crack them on the bike, given his Rowing background gives him a bit of an advantage in going all out for 7 minute periods.  

Edited: Just rewatched the highlights of the Hamburg WC relay in 2018. Jake came from nowhere to snatch silver. Ash lost a lot of ground in the swim, only to get it back by the end of the bike in the first leg, but that must have left her toasted for the run, as she was gapped slightly again by the change over. We went backwards from there until Birtwistle swooped in the run.

Edited by Andrew #1
On 25/03/2020 at 6:17 PM, Andrew #1 said:

Yep, the ‘weak link’ in the relay is probably the two women’s spots. Any two of the top 3 male prospects could easily ‘get it done’ early in the relay. Even Ash can be left a bit behind in the swim and if she gets gapped, its hard for the next competitor to bridge. I think Wurf actually mentioned his potential ability to either bridge back or crack them on the bike, given his Rowing background gives him a bit of an advantage in going all out for 7 minute periods.  

Edited: Just rewatched the highlights of the Hamburg WC relay in 2018. Jake came from nowhere to snatch silver. Ash lost a lot of ground in the swim, only to get it back by the end of the bike in the first leg, but that must have left her toasted for the run, as she was gapped slightly again by the change over. We went backwards from there until Birtwistle swooped in the run.

Did he say this before or after he got blown away in the world cup race? is easy to underestimate ITU athletes capabilities when you have never raced against them. 

Who are you thinking are the top 3 mens prospects, I am very torn.

On 26/03/2020 at 6:28 PM, Trier said:

Did he say this before or after he got blown away in the world cup race?

After. Peter linked a pod cast interview with him late last year several pages back in this thread. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dennis won. Both he and Wurf made the selection before the final ascent and they rode everybody off their wheels, until Dennis broke free in the last half of the climb. Wurf bonked a little, slipping down to 5th at one point before rallying and holding off Froome etc for 4th place. 

Edited by Andrew #1
6 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Dennis won. Both he and Wurf made the selection before the final ascent and they rode everybody off their wheels, until Dennis broke free in the last half of the climb. Wurf bonked a little, slipping down to 5th at one point before rallying and holding off Froome etc for 4th place. 

Seemed to hold some solid watts considering he'd be losing 4-5% at that altitude

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

I watched a bit. What happened to Bernal? Carapaz? Seems the "non climbers" (and even triathletes) had it over the ones you would expect to show up strong. 

19 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I watched a bit. What happened to Bernal? Carapaz? Seems the "non climbers" (and even triathletes) had it over the ones you would expect to show up strong. 

They have zero need to go at 100%.  

it was fun between team mates.  As if they would ever show real data 

20 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Some of the climbers are actually isolating at altitude, so they may have had a disadvantage. It’s no real surprise that Dennis could show exactly how good he is at putting out massive watts for an hour. It’s his speciality. Zwift and sim racing favours Watt freaks, whereas there is an art to riding a mountain stage in a Grand Tour which I think is somewhat lost in this format.

also, it depends on what shape individual  riders are in right now. The GC riders on the tesm are more likely to be peaking in a Month (Giro) or July (TDF), and not before. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

also, it depends on what shape individual  riders are in right now. The GC riders on the tesm are more likely to be peaking in October (Giro) or August (TDF), or September (Vuelta) and not before. 

FIFY

At least till the next delays.

3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Babbit interviewed him overnight. Have t watched it yet. Hopefully over the weekend.

but let me know the highlights before then if you want.

Him & Rohan Dennis as a double sculls pair.

• Like 1
On 17/04/2020 at 12:59 AM, Andrew #1 said:

I’m sure about going back to sculls late 30s, but they’d make an awesome half of a track cycling teams pursuit squad. 

They've got about 17 months to do it... Last LM2x will be Tokyo, then no lightweight racing at Olympics.

Physiologically - definitely.

Tech? They'd give it a good shot - it's not that technical a sport, really.

Ignore all the 'I didn't make it because I wasn't born with a sliver spoon up my arse' from Wiggins, who didn't make it because he i) wasn't good enough, and ii) didn't make it because he was a bell end. 

Dennis would be fine, and we know Wurf works.

9 hours ago, altayloraus said:

They've got about 17 months to do it... Last LM2x will be Tokyo, then no lightweight racing at Olympics.

Physiologically - definitely.

Tech? They'd give it a good shot - it's not that technical a sport, really.

Ignore all the 'I didn't make it because I wasn't born with a sliver spoon up my arse' from Wiggins, who didn't make it because he i) wasn't good enough, and ii) didn't make it because he was a bell end. 

Dennis would be fine, and we know Wurf works.

Why would Dennis jeopardise his Ineos contract and the realistic possibility of winning a individual time trial medal to follow this pipe dream? 

What does Cam really want out of his career over the next 3.5 years? A win in Kona? A TDF ride as a domestique? Olympic Rowing? ITU Olympic spot? It seems to me that after making a 4 year investment in Ironman racing THAT is best pathway to glory and money for Cam. It is nice that he can spend the first four months of the year as a Team Ineos bitch (or would have except for COVID19) - that complements his build to Kona. The other stuff? That’s just Cam talking shit. Which is great PR, because a lot of it is possible ... at least on paper ... 

Of course if for some reason Hawaii is cancelled but the TDF and the rest of the world tour goes ahead as announced, it seems certain that Cam will race at least one grand tour this year as nearly every rider on the team roster will be called upon to shoulder arms in at least one of the three grand tours that are scheduled to run back to back in September, October and November ...

Here’s a crazy thought. If both Hawaii and the TDF run this year, Cam does all his over distance trading for Hawaii in July and August. Does the TDF and flies straight to Hawaii afterwards for his final Kona prep with 3 weeks to go ...

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Why would Dennis jeopardise his Ineos contract and the realistic possibility of winning a individual time trial medal to follow this pipe dream? 

Dennis seems to do everything he can off the bike to **** things up for himself so who knows

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah - that was a good interview. They've been doing a few good ones lately. Really enjoyed the Jan and Emma Frodeno interviews over the last few weeks. 

Sometimes I do get a bit sick of the general Wurf love-in in the tri world, but I did like him in that one. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Amazingly talented athlete.

Either VERY naive, or well & truly part of the omerta when it comes to doping.

No sekrit I'm a fan.  Don't think he is doping due to him being at a high level in Rowing and then cycling without doing much (ie big wins)

And long course triathlon is really a nothing sport.  There are a few top guys that wurf can't beat and probably never will beat that have more talent than him. 

8 hours ago, Peter said:

There are a few top guys that wurf can't beat and probably never will beat that have more talent than him. 

That would have been my assessment maybe 12 months ago - ie. he’d need a lucky day to win Kona. 

I'm not so sure now. I think he’s got 3 more cracks at winning Kona and I also think that he’s not far off being a the front of the fist big pack (50 minutes dead) out of the water and running well under 2:50 off the fastest bike split. That would put a ton of pressure on the likes of Frodo and Ali. The others I think he nearly has their measure now. 

56 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

That would have been my assessment maybe 12 months ago - ie. he’d need a lucky day to win Kona. 

I'm not so sure now. I think he’s got 3 more cracks at winning Kona and I also think that he’s not far off being a the front of the fist big pack (50 minutes dead) out of the water and running well under 2:50 off the fastest bike split. That would put a ton of pressure on the likes of Frodo and Ali. The others I think he nearly has their measure now. 

Maybe.  This will be Frodo’s last year I’d think. Tim Od has to be near the end too.  

44 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Happened to PJ 

LOL 😂

• 1 month later...