Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can this guy get any better!!!    

Vuelta confirmed 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dazaau said:

struth. 

an average of 376 watts (that sounds a bit high!) for 3hrs 40min 😮 Then a 30km run (at 4min ks) 😮 

Amazing really. 

1 hour ago, Turts said:

I thought the race was longer than that? 

His job, along with the other Ineos domestiques - was to break the peloton and drive the main bunch back to the breakaways. Team Ineous did that by the beginning of the second last lap of the 16km finishing circuit. At that point he and one other Ineous rider dropped out. Job done at 141km. Another two domestiques took over point duties for Ineos for another lap before cruising around to the finish. The final two domestiques protected their two main men until the final climb before their number one chance - Sivakov - made the decisive break and busted open the final 6 riders and nearly stole the race with their number two rider managing to get back onto to the other break riders and mark them just in case it came back to a sprint finish. In the end the winner managed to peg back Sivakov and beat him in the sprint, but it was a well executed team performance in which Wurf played his part. Then he ran 30km back to his hotel, lol.

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Turts said:

I thought the race was longer than that? 

That'd be why he renamed the run he did to:

2 hours ago, Nick777 said:

I like how he has changed the name of the run to "Punishment for DNF"

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That'd be why he renamed the run he did to:

Right, gotcha. Should have read the whole thread first.

5 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

This just says to me that Wurf isn't really serious about triathlon. Or perhaps that INEOS want to be a pro cycling and pro triathlon team.

How can you say he isn't serious about triathlon?

he has won more ironmans than 80% of male professionals going round in Ironman currently.

Only 50 men can go to Kona and he has gone every year unlike others.

I guess I think that because he's joined a pro team in a different sport. One where you presumably will be required to train in one discipline all the time. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong - but will he keep racing ironman and provide support for team INEOS?

Edited by dazmuzza
2 minutes ago, Peter said:

How can you say he isn't serious about triathlon?

he has won more ironmans than 80% of male professionals going round in Ironman currently.

Only 50 men can go to Kona and he has gone every year unlike others.

Agreed. Would you say Brownlee, doing ITU isn't serious about Ironman? A race like Wurf did yesterday has more crossover in Ironman than a sprint Tri does.

He's using this as a guarantee of income, athlete support from the very best in their fields, and a training group others would dream of. The detriment to his IM from this would be less than the detriment others get from having to chase the dollars the way they do.

41 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I guess I think that because he's joined a pro team in a different sport. One where you presumably will be required to train in one discipline all the time. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong - but will he keep racing ironman and provide support for team INEOS?

Officially he has joined a Pro team but anyone that believes this is anything other than filling a hole for here and there events, is kidding themselves.

He has the same coach as Froome and G and the other guys.

He goes on training camps with them.

He is best mates with them all.

Its not like he is switching to trampolining or something totally different. Its the same sport as he does.

41 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agreed. Would you say Brownlee, doing ITU isn't serious about Ironman? A race like Wurf did yesterday has more crossover in Ironman than a sprint Tri does.

He's using this as a guarantee of income, athlete support from the very best in their fields, and a training group others would dream of. The detriment to his IM from this would be less than the detriment others get from having to chase the dollars the way they do.

Nailed it.  Is it really hard for others to see this? I can't believe people actually think this is a full time move.

He isn't a normal triathlete like Rinny or Mr Rinny. 

He is doing things differently. And so far its working for him way more than most other triathletes doing Ironman.

FFS most Pros were complaining about having to do more than 1 ironman a year.

Wurf is different.

Side note.  Didn't stadler ride as a pro for a few races and then win Kona the second time?  (Andrew will know)

As far as 'Wurf & the potential Kona podium' goes, the only issue I have with this move is if it impacts his swimming and running training, which in my opinion he can't afford to drop off at any point during the year.

Of course - and as he has mentioned in an interview - there is also the much greater potential for crashing and breaking a collarbone etc. That would mean the end of his Kona aspirations immediately, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

As far as 'Wurf & the potential Kona podium' goes, the only issue I have with this move is if it impacts his swimming and running training, which in my opinion he can't afford to drop off at any point during the year.

True, though he did do a 30km run after the race yesterday. That's a hell of a block session.

I wonder if he'd run after each stage if they put him into a small stage race? :)

I have a friend who bangs on about how important the run is in Kona. Sad thing for him is he will never win his age group because he keeps getting smashed on the bike. He's old & knows everything so he won't change.

As Cam siad in his press release. People are riding faster and running just as fast.

The race has changed and people need to change their training to adapt. I think it's a smart move for Wurf.

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

Fair enough. I guess we'll see. I'm not criticising the move, I just found it slightly confusing, that's all. 

That’s the thing. This isn’t a move to pro cycling.  

id tip he will ride 3 or 4 one day races and that will be it.  

his other training will only be affected by him spending time getting to locations rather than staying in a base training.  

Everyone bar one person will NOT win Kona this year, but he will be one of very few not winning Kona and still making a good  living. 

In the end this is a business, hes a good businessman. 

4 minutes ago, roxii said:

Everyone bar one person will NOT win Kona this year, but he will be one of very few not winning Kona and still making a good  living. 

In the end this is a business, hes a good businessman. 

Not to mention, a fantastic entertainer!

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

True, though he did do a 30km run after the race yesterday. That's a hell of a block session.

I wonder if he'd run after each stage if they put him into a small stage race? :)

I wonder if he planned the run in order to get into his opponents heads?

13 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

I wonder if he planned the run in order to get into his opponents heads?

I raced the Qld 100km TTT championships one year with Nick Croft, Troy Fidler & Angus Charlton. Hardest race I've ever done in my life, for all of us, but as soon as we finished we donned the running shoes & took off for a run.

We only got just out of sight then fell over & groaned for half an hour, then ran back. The cyclists didn't know how to react. Especially given we were only a couple of minutes off the win, and had been leading till a couple punctures in the last 25km.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Peter said:

his other training will only be affected by him spending time getting to locations rather than staying in a base training.  

He travels alot.  Just going by his Strava he dosen't stay in the one location for more than a week or two.

21 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

He travels alot.  Just going by his Strava he dosen't stay in the one location for more than a week or two.

In several podcasts he has mentioned the travel does knock him around. 

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I raced the Qld 100km TTT championships one year with Nick Croft, Troy Fidler & Angus Charlton. Hardest race I've ever done in my life, for all of us, but as soon as we finished we donned the running shoes & took off for a run.

We only got just out of sight then fell over & groaned for half an hour, then ran back. The cyclists didn't know how to react. Especially given we were only a couple of minutes off the win, and had been leading till a couple punctures in the last 25km.

Love it

7 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

This just says to me that Wurf isn't really serious about triathlon. Or perhaps that INEOS want to be a pro cycling and pro triathlon team.

I’m sorry, but I’ve never heard of a professional cyclist running 30km at ~4kmin/km pace home after a protour cycling race before. That’s a hell of a brick workout for the most committed of all triathletes. Last month he cycled with Gerraint in the morning in LA and then ran a a training marathon in the afternoon. The following week he cycled 310km around Mallorca with G. I actually think there are very few athletes as serious about triathlon than Wurf right now. 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

That’s the thing. This isn’t a move to pro cycling.  

id tip he will ride 3 or 4 one day races and that will be it.  

I reckon he might do a one week tour in April and maybe even the Giro if Ineos need the bodies to be domestiques. That would give him a hell of a base for his summer European Ironman campaign and to be in top shape by Kona. I reckon he’ll win Kona this year, just quietly. 

8 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I reckon he might do a one week tour in April and maybe even the Giro if Ineos need the bodies to be domestiques. That would give him a hell of a base for his summer European Ironman campaign and to be in top shape by Kona. I reckon he’ll win Kona this year, just quietly. 

Could you just imagine the looks when he hits the pool at the team hotel at the end of the day. :)

On 03/02/2020 at 8:24 PM, Andrew #1 said:

I cant see ineos using him in any manor stage races, they have a thirty man team with some of the best GC riders and domestics, he is there to do the “less important” events that Ineos needs him at.

I also hope he nails Kona for a win too! He still needs more time in swim and run, Frodo is a Serious biker so cam cant get anywhere near the time into him to win.

Clearly I’m a massive wurf fan.  But nobody will be Jan unless he has an off year or DNF.  He is so far in front of the other guys now.  

he has the formula figured out.  
currently they are all racing for second. 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

But nobody will be Jan unless he has an off year or DNF.  He is so far in front of the other guys now.  

he has the formula figured out.  
currently they are all racing for second. 

Backing him to win again this year aged 39? Would be the oldest winner ever (actually he may already be at 38 last year)

8 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Backing him to win again this year aged 39? Would be the oldest winner ever (actually he may already be at 38 last year)

DeBoom?

I'm tipping Wurf but if I was putting money on it, you'd be crazy to go past Jan.

Jan could win when he is 42-43

The great thing is we will all see what happens in the next few years.

The other thing is in 2021, a few of the Olympic guys will come across to long course too.

Who knows what will happen then

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

Oh yeah, and stary praying for the biggest crosswinds ever.

The wind is due.  Last few years have been a joke.  

25% DNF rate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tipping he does a run as part of his warm up on the first day, then no running until day 5. 30km run after the ITT. Maybe some swimming on days 2 to 4, depending on pool availability 

Edited by Andrew #1
11 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

no running until day 5. 30km run after the ITT.

Why wouldn't he run after day 4? He's no help to the team on day 5, so can blow himself to bits after a 170km ride on day 4 & then cruise around the ITT the next day.

17 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Why wouldn't he run after day 4? He's no help to the team on day 5, so can blow himself to bits after a 170km ride on day 4 & then cruise around the ITT the next day.

I suspect he wants to put in a good ITT performance to demonstrate he’s worthy of a contract with the team.

Also, when I wrote that post I assumed that the Giro had a TTT stage and he may want to put down a marker for selection for that tour. I checked - this year’s Giro doesn’t have a TTT. So scratch that.