What training did you do today...

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

My plan is to do more XC because I want to discover more distant running trails and hill training without actually running to discover them in the first instance (if that makes sense?).

Picked up a Focus dual suspension eMTB and do exactly that with it. Can make the ride as hard or as easy as I want by having the power from fully off to fully on and it can go up and down anything. Go exploring trails just to see where they go and work out whether or not they’re runnable. At 23kg it’s a hell of a work out with the power off!

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

42km trail marathon. 800mtrs elevation.  4hrs11min,  came 5th overall, 3rd male and 1st male over 40.  £70 worth of OMM vouchers, wohoo 👍

Rode my bike 

City 2 Surf. Managed 54:11 so averaging 3:54 over 14k. Pretty chuffed! 6 minutes faster than two years ago 

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, truck said:

Picked up a Focus dual suspension eMTB and do exactly that with it. Can make the ride as hard or as easy as I want by having the power from fully off to fully on and it can go up and down anything. Go exploring trails just to see where they go and work out whether or not they’re runnable. At 23kg it’s a hell of a work out with the power off!

ooh I'll bet. I've never ridden any type of ebike.  I do like my Giant Anthem 29er though. I fitted a dropper. Some lighter wheels are next on the list.  We are lucky where I live, trails on the doorstep but the bike is handy for linking some up without running on any bust=y roads I may come across in error.

Did Jon’s Mix on Zwift. Haven’t done that one for a couple of years and now I remember why. 🤣

32.2km, 58.45, 216 av watts.

According to Zwift my FTP is 276, so that meant the 10sec power was 730 watts but I didn’t hit it once, closest I was 663 😥

10 hours ago, FatPom said:

I got DQ'd in my last C grade Zwift race for pumping out 3.5w/kg but I still only came 6th or 8th. Entered a B grade race and came third from last and got smashed by a load of C graders! 🤣

I'm seriously thinking about what bikes I need and what I don't.  I can't really justify a gravel bike in the UK as it's just too muddy for most of the year for 'gravel', however, for a do it all road bike, with the crap condition of our roads they make a lot of sense.

I have the P3, the Bianchi Infinito, Giant Anthem all in Winchester and a Focus Paralane at Mum's house.  For the amount I ride outside now, it seems overkill but the 2nd hand rim brake market is rubbish, so worthwhile keeping.

My plan is to do more XC because I want to discover more distant running trails and hill training without actually running to discover them in the first instance (if that makes sense?).

I need new tyres on the mtb though, something good for winter/spring as I'm still running the ones that came with the bike and they were summer 'rollers' when new and pretty worn now.

I do like XC though. Pedalling with no traffic is bliss, trade off being the lots of gates or stiles but I can live with that.

The best way to be competitive in C is race B !! With Zwift not enforcing categories except I think one race series, its a bit of lottery.

Gravel is a lot less fun when it becomes mud, I lifted my gravel bike over so many gates for the reserve the other week. Other than rolling better on tarmac and harder trails I think a XC MTB would have been better. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The best way to be competitive in C is race B !! With Zwift not enforcing categories except I think one race series, its a bit of lottery.

Gravel is a lot less fun when it becomes mud, I lifted my gravel bike over so many gates for the reserve the other week. Other than rolling better on tarmac and harder trails I think a XC MTB would have been better. 

I had a 'WKG' against my name in C so I thought I couldn't enter C again?  I do quite well at Downtown Dolphin but racing in B grade up Box Hill didn't cover me in glory!

Yeah that's pretty much my feeling on XC. Gravel is great if you can really exploit it with miles of dirt roads or dry smoothish trails. We don't have enough here for that but I really think if you aren't into racing anymore, a gravel bike on roads would suit 80% of people better.

Edited by FatPom
3 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I had a 'WKG' against my name in C so I thought I couldn't enter C again?  I do quite well at Downtown Dolphin but racing in B grade up Box Hill didn't cover me in glory!

AH, yes, once you go on zwift power you are regulated and will get filtered out, if it was the first time they have bumped you up on w/kg.

Zwift Power uses 20 min power for this. When I do a lot fo shorter races I can find myself in B despite losing by a number of places in C, as I go hard at it get dropped on the crit city or inssburcking hill cruis home and get a w/Kg and told to get into B.

If you don't register on Zwift Power you can enter any grade you want.

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

AH, yes, once you go on zwift power you are regulated and will get filtered out, if it was the first time they have bumped you up on w/kg.

Zwift Power uses 20 min power for this. When I do a lot fo shorter races I can find myself in B despite losing by a number of places in C, as I go hard at it get dropped on the crit city or inssburcking hill cruis home and get a w/Kg and told to get into B.

If you don't register on Zwift Power you can enter any grade you want.

Yeah on ZP, it was my third race on there. In C I'v been with the front pack for all but the last 700mtrs or so.  What's amazing is how superstud Japanese and Malaysian riders smoke you in the Zwift race but are 'strangely' missing from ZP. 🤣

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I love reading these, my dad didnt do anything with us. Your Little One will have great memories

Thanks. I did stuff with my Dad but he was heavily into coarse fishing, so I got pretty good at that. Back the dinosaur days of my youth, if you wanted to hang out with dad, you did what he wanted and not the other way around 😉

I'm the only sporty person in the family, I was the only one with a motorbike, the only surfer and I'm the only one to play an instrument. Lots of firsts but I still remember fishing with dad very fondly.

I'm of an age now where my star (for what it was) is fading rapidly, so it won't be long before she's taking me for a run!  I did love the time her though and am planning to get her a proper kids mtb next year. (Commencal probably), she loves the gnar!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, FatPom said:

Yeah on ZP, it was my third race on there. In C I'v been with the front pack for all but the last 700mtrs or so.  What's amazing is how superstud Japanese and Malaysian riders smoke you in the Zwift race but are 'strangely' missing from ZP. 🤣

We should hit some races, though I'm in B on ZP as its the average of last three races. In C I enjoy it as I can make the pack or at least the second pack and race it.

Those super stud people who are not on ZP often mess with the dynamic as they race C create a front pack with B. You then find on ZP you are actually in the true front pack.

Don't see them changing it anytime soon

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

We should hit some races, though I'm in B on ZP as its the average of last three races. In C I enjoy it as I can make the pack or at least the second pack and race it.

Those super stud people who are not on ZP often mess with the dynamic as they race C create a front pack with B. You then find on ZP you are actually in the true front pack.

Don't see them changing it anytime soon

Well I'm leave until 4/1 so I'm sure we could sync up something 👍

I might sneak a Zwift in later but doubtful.  Xmas night isn't that relaxing for us as we have to put up birthday decorations for Little One, she's 7 today and is way more excited about her birthday than Xmas Day. (same every year!).

I might suggest a pre birthday cake 'walk'. 😀

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2

35mins open water swimming with our youngest beside Coffs Jetty.  Best swim session in years.  Water warm, flat as a tack, great to train again with the girl.  We used to do a lot of training together till she moved to Syd & I really miss it.

She has not done a tri for about 8yrs & has only recently just got back into a little pool swimming at the new Ashfield pool, but easily kept up with me until I really started to hammer it the last 150m.

Getting old is really shit.

14km easy run, 1.14.46 at 5.20 pace.

One thing I’m noticing is that my easy runs are getting closer to what I was using as my MP for most of the year.
So I’m either running my easy ones too fast, or I’m capable of a faster marathon than 3.38!

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2

5km benchmark run.

In Rincon 2s and a long sleeved top, so hopefully room for improvement. 1:21 slower than my 3yr old post surgery PB. Given I’m 3yrs older and 8kgs heavier, I’ll take it.

abec5f558b3870630044f26fd49d2cc6f4d01a10_2_421x748.jpeg

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1
On 28/12/2020 at 6:57 AM, Fitness Buddy said:

Yesterday was Last big session of the year.

3hrs on Trainer 10krm run x 2 (,so 6hrs on trainer and 20km of running)

might try this 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Finished off my holiday training camp. 14 days. 1280km with 11000m of vert. 

Set a 42sec PB up the old freeway today. 

& 5 years sober today.

Everybody is always talking about dry January. I don't drink (or extremely rarely),  and I have 10 hours of interviewing candidates in my first week back at work.

I'm considering getting smashed all month. 🍺

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

FP, Is lock down going to affect your ability to run outside? 

No but it might affect my ability to run to St Cathrine's hill (about 9km away), which is where I do a lot of my vert training.  Still lucky enough to have good trails and road loops on my doorstep but not steep hills like that one.

Probably for the best because it means running through the outskirts of Winchester and then a MUP, so I'm better off staying around the village with less people.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1