What training did you do today...

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

42km trail marathon. 800mtrs elevation.  4hrs11min,  came 5th overall, 3rd male and 1st male over 40.  £70 worth of OMM vouchers, wohoo 👍

Rode my bike 

City 2 Surf. Managed 54:11 so averaging 3:54 over 14k. Pretty chuffed! 6 minutes faster than two years ago 

Posted Images

On 04/10/2020 at 10:44 PM, BogFrog said:

I know you don't race and you get satisfaction from personal goals and TTs, but if you don't race tris, why do you ROTB?  Would the 3x3km not be more fun when fresh? Or is part of the challenge doing that fatigued?

(Just trying to understand other peeps' motivations - not questioning logic or sanity!)

I will answer this fully when I have less things on my mind

• Like 1

I also want to know if ROTB is over rated? I know its one thing to get used to running on tired legs but during the course of training does this get outweighed by the increased risk of injury from form breakdown that might come with running fatigued?

32 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

@more

A "transition" run based on time perhaps 🤷🏻‍♂️ not necessarily 10k+ 

We're "training" for a Tri. Not a bike ride coffee and rinse.... LOL ✌️👍

Does a 10-20-30 min run off the bike really add that much though, as opposed to a decent run on fresh legs? Just thinking aloud..

I think Bored@ had his best run ever off the bike at an Ironman doing a 1hr bike of a sunday and then his long run.  His coach at the time when to kona at will and she was a gun swimmer at the time

30min Zwift spin.. 

Then... 

Ramp test on Zwift. Longer one not the Ramp test light. 

Result - 231ftp 🤷🏻‍♂️🕺

It's down from last test. A bit but not much. Saw my all time highest bike HR of 178

Shit went south at the 300w step. Once I hit 320w I was jelly legs and dribbling everywhere. 👌

Was fun but I'll pay for it for a week I reckon. Will retest in 6 weeks. 

5 min very gently to let the HR drop and settle. 

Edited by Jim Shortz
Punctuation
  • Like 1

No training today. I live in communist Victoria under Chairman dan. We are all in prison and aren't allowed to train.

Chariman Dan and Hitler would be good mates from what I can tell.

Both power hungry dictators. 

1 hour ago, POT said:

No training today. I live in communist Victoria under Chairman dan. We are all in prison and aren't allowed to train.

Chariman Dan and Hitler would be good mates from what I can tell.

Both power hungry dictators. 

I seriously feel for you. 

You were one of the "carrots" I used to chase, volume wise, years ago. 

Fingers crossed that you are back into the normal "normal" asap. ✌️

1800m swim 

2x300 P&B easy 15sec ri 

2x200 P&B steady 20sec ri 

4x50 Bouy only "hard" on full recovery (45 sec) 

600 P&B easy straight swim

AVG PACE 1:54/100 

Hard 50's were ~50sec 

Had a blast 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Dropped into a place called Wonderland....4.5hrs of technical single track fun

20201010_115148.jpg

That sort of rocky stuff scares me.  Too old now to fall onto rocks 🙈

Went around some of the Wayne Richards MTB park in Port last weekend.  They need to upgrade their directional signage, I had no idea if I was going the right way for most of it.  Plus kids have built their own tracks linking bits of the real track which is confusing.

Started at the start. 

Long Run does as a walk. 

10k in 1:34

Avg pace 9:26/km

Avg HR 98

Max HR 117 

Traded out feeding my ego because of a massive spike in ATL*

My PMC tells me that recently if I have spikes such as the one there I get crook if I try to push it. So I walked instead of jogging. Hopefully I can dodge the chest stuff and show up again tomorrow. 

*relative to me 

20201012_174012.jpg

20201012_175714.jpg

Edited by Jim Shortz
Details
  • Like 3

Yesterday was trainer for 30mins then on the road once fog cleared up and then back on trainer for 3hrs.  Run off the bike 6.25km around a fave loop.  Total session was nearly 7hrs

Today half walk/half run then 30mins easy spin on bike.

Then this afternoon a strength session -

Deadlift 4 x 6 @ 90-110kg,  Seated Band Calf 3 x 10 each,  TRX Push Ups 3 x 35

Squats 4 x 8 @ 60-80kg,  Bent Over Row 3 x 10 at 57.5kg

Chin ups TRX 3 x 6-8,  HK OHP with barbell 3 x 8 each

UR roll outs, side planks variety, HLR

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Yesterday was trainer for 30mins then on the road once fog cleared up and then back on trainer for 3hrs.  Run off the bike 6.25km around a fave loop.  Total session was nearly 7hrs

3:30 on the trainer. I'd lose the will to live.

Due to evil magpies I've been doing most of my sessions on the trainer (55mins max), but today I can't face it.  Will try hill repeats up the bypass with the hope that there are no nasty maggies on that 2-3km section 😬

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

3:30 on the trainer. I'd lose the will to live.

Due to evil magpies I've been doing most of my sessions on the trainer (55mins max), but today I can't face it.  Will try hill repeats up the bypass with the hope that there are no nasty maggies on that 2-3km section 😬

I've done 5hrs before. Wasn't that bad really. 

7x200 P&B at Basic Endurance effort. Pace was 1:51/100m in the 25m pool 

ATL has dropped 3, and is trending down, so I will not do any more today so I can make tomorrow's bike. 

Edited by Jim Shortz
Details
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

7x200 P&B at Basic Endurance effort. Pace was 1:51/100m in the 25m pool 

ATL has dropped 3, and is trending down, so I will not do any more today so I can make tomorrow's bike. 

Did you PB your Ironman bike leg after? 

6 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

Yeah it's ok, I've done a 6.47, 6.17, 5.40 and a 5.10 all in the same 6wk period all with no TV, just music. You get used to it.

Great for mental resilience. 😎

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Yeah it's ok, I've done a 6.47, 6.17, 5.40 and a 5.10 all in the same 6wk period all with no TV, just music. You get used to it.

Great for mental resilience. 😎

And gooch resilience... LOL 😁👍

• Haha 3

Easy Zwift 

15min spin in Watopia 

Then 

1hr Easy custom erg workout in Innsbruck. 

Avg HR 106, Max HR 121

Avg Power 137, Max 238 

45min at 150w was perfect for me today. Very easy, only noticed it during the last 6min. That was more the saddle discomfort than my legs/lungs. 

ATL back up to 37 from 34 yesterday. No symptoms in my chest or head 🤞

Possible swim later. I'll see how I feel about lunchtime. Run and swim planned for tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Felt the usual head fatigue when I woke so no early run. 

Afternoon has been a 1.8k walk to the Pool 

2.2k swim

2k straight swim P&B @ Basic Endurance effort. Focused on tired arms not lungs.1:57/100m 

Then

2x100 bouy only Cool down. 2:05 and 2:07 respectively. 

Then the 1.8k walk home. 

Good finish to the day. ATL steady at 37

Edited by Jim Shortz
Error
  • Like 2

I have an unhappy left right now.  Backing off the running and abandoned my 14km mid week run yesterday.  5.5 weeks until my marathon, so need to be smart.

Very frustrating though!  Might try an easy run tomorrow or Sat.  I have two high volume weeks coming up, so it's softly softly right now.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I have an unhappy left right now.  Backing off the running and abandoned my 14km mid week run yesterday.  5.5 weeks until my marathon, so need to be smart.

Very frustrating though!  Might try an easy run tomorrow or Sat.  I have two high volume weeks coming up, so it's softly softly right now.

Left ...? 

• Haha 1

2.2k swim in the 25m pool

400 bouy only WU 30sec ri 1:57/100m 

12x50 bouy only Fast/Cruise 30sec ri between each 50m. Fasts were 20sec, cruise were 30sec 25's 

3x400 P&B basic endurance 1:59/100m 

Observation from the swim - Fast was too fast, cruise was too cruise. Also entered the workout into Garmin Connect and synced to my watch. It was cool. Made me finish it instead of chickening out when I was tired. 

ATL up to 42

Feeling the swim in my head. Slight concussion sensation. Tomorrow's ride will be very easy. 

Edited by Jim Shortz
Extra
  • Like 2

2 days MTBing in Rotorua. Tried some new tracks which were great, beautiful bush and trails were in perfect condition. Over two days about 2200m of climbing.

few shuttle runs as well to enjoy the flow trails.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Flanman said:

No laughing please. 200 metre swim between playing with the grandson down in Sussex Inlet. First swim since March 

Time for a sleep now. 

FM

If you don’t count surfing and playing in the sea, that’s further than  I’ve swam all year!

• Haha 3

Sprint races cop a bit of ridicule on here from the long distance set, but fair dinkum, if I go hard, I find they hurt way more than an HIM.  Especially with our hills & the wind today.  Went a minute faster than last race, but still comparatively shit (8th out of 12, 2nd out of 3 in the over 50 males).

On the plus side, I swam as well as the winner who apparently got 5th in his AG in the Kona 70.3 Champs.  But he rode the 20kms 5 mins faster than me and ran the 4.2kms 4mins faster 🙈

I've lost the competitive thing now - happy to do a little training to go around the short stuff, but can't be fragged putting in the volumes needed to get near the pointy end any more.  Such is life.

Our club has introduced a short duathlon for the non-swimmers which my wife did and it seems her bike coaching is paying off as she had the 3rd fastest bike time out of all competitors in the short duathlon/triathlon including all the males.  Got to be happy with that at 57 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Sprint races cop a bit of ridicule on here from the long distance set, but fair dinkum, if I go hard, I find they hurt way more than an HIM.  Especially with our hills & the wind today.  Went a minute faster than last race, but still comparatively shit (8th out of 12, 2nd out of 3 in the over 50 males).

On the plus side, I swam as well as the winner who apparently got 5th in his AG in the Kona 70.3 Champs.  But he rode the 20kms 5 mins faster than me and ran the 4.2kms 4mins faster 🙈

I've lost the competitive thing now - happy to do a little training to go around the short stuff, but can't be fragged putting in the volumes needed to get near the pointy end any more.  Such is life.

Our club has introduced a short duathlon for the non-swimmers which my wife did and it seems her bike coaching is paying off as she had the 3rd fastest bike time out of all competitors in the short duathlon/triathlon including all the males.  Got to be happy with that at 57 👍

Good work all round 😎👍

• Like 1