What training did you do today...

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

might be time to get a smart trainer and zwift subscription. Though I still have no idea how FP can do even that for over 6hrs without losing the will to live.

I have thought about it, but shelling out $1,300+ to then realise that I still hate it is a hard pill to swallow and a very strong possibility.  I do this stuff to be outside.  Mostly if it is raining, I can just go for a run and then ride another day, but I currently can't run any more than scheduled due to injury...

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

42km trail marathon. 800mtrs elevation.  4hrs11min,  came 5th overall, 3rd male and 1st male over 40.  £70 worth of OMM vouchers, wohoo 👍

Rode my bike 

City 2 Surf. Managed 54:11 so averaging 3:54 over 14k. Pretty chuffed! 6 minutes faster than two years ago 

Posted Images

It's obviously nowhere near 6 hours but I have done a few 3 hour rides on the trainer. The key is a good playlist or podcast that takes your mind off it, and a good route on Zwift that breaks it up. If you pick a route that has hills and descents, it at least allows you to shift around and ease off the pedals. 

I stupidly did 2:15 on Tempus Fugit and it was literally unrelenting. All I wanted was the ability to ease off the gas a little bit and give the legs a rest.

8 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I have thought about it, but shelling out $1,300+ to then realise that I still hate it is a hard pill to swallow and a very strong possibility.  I do this stuff to be outside.  Mostly if it is raining, I can just go for a run and then ride another day, but I currently can't run any more than scheduled due to injury...

If you hit up the second hand Facebook groups, there are more and more people who jumped on stuff as Covid-19 hit and are realising that they hate riding inside and are now flipping their trainers for cheaper than retail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BogFrog said:

I have thought about it, but shelling out $1,300+ to then realise that I still hate it is a hard pill to swallow and a very strong possibility. 

We have a smart trainer (Tacx Neo) and a set a rollers.  If you have a power meter, you can use Zwift on the Rollers.

Rollers take a bit of getting used to and not everybody likes them. But I got my set from Wiggle for about $120.

My wife uses the Smart Trainer, parked in front a TV screen playing Netflix. While I prefer the Rollers.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

We have a smart trainer (Tacx Neo) and a set a rollers.  If you have a power meter, you can use Zwift on the Rollers.

Rollers take a bit of getting used to and not everybody likes them. But I got my set from Wiggle for about $120.

My wife uses the Smart Trainer, parked in front a TV screen playing Netflix. While I prefer the Rollers.

I've tried watching Netflix whilst on the trainer but I found it very distracting. I was either concentrating on the Netflix and ignoring the Zwift screen or vice versa.  I just have Spotify from my phone and a BT speaker playing some tunes.

I've always been a fairly high volume turbo user, not exactly sure why but since having Little One it became much more convenient and then the combination of a smart trainer and Zwift gave me some extra variety.  It was also very useful during lockdown, when I'd rather spend my allocated exercise period running.

I haven't been on there much lately, due to finishing the garage, holidays and a new job but I did get on last night for a spin.

I will start to build up in Autumn and have half an eye on an virtual Everesting attempt but we'll have to see as I have the Arc of Attrition ultra to train for also.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I've tried watching Netflix whilst on the trainer but I found it very distracting. I was either concentrating on the Netflix and ignoring the Zwift screen or vice versa.  I just have Spotify from my phone and a BT speaker playing some tunes.

I've always been a fairly high volume turbo user, not exactly sure why but since having Little One it became much more convenient and then the combination of a smart trainer and Zwift gave me some extra variety.  It was also very useful during lockdown, when I'd rather spend my allocated exercise period running.

I haven't been on there much lately, due to finishing the garage, holidays and a new job but I did get on last night for a spin.

I will start to build up in Autumn and have half an eye on an virtual Everesting attempt but we'll have to see as I have the Arc of Attrition ultra to train for also.

I find watching cycling while on zwift is good. I can't help myself on zwift and go hard (which you probably shouldn't do every time you get on zwift), but if I am watching cycling I tend pay little attention to zwift and just knock out a solid easy training ride. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I've tried watching Netflix whilst on the trainer but I found it very distracting. I was either concentrating on the Netflix and ignoring the Zwift screen or vice versa.

I'm the same. I don't even listen to music, but then again I never do the epic sessions you've done.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

I'm the same. I don't even listen to music, but then again I never do the epic sessions you've done.

If I sit on the trainer - I will usually read a book. Killing two birds with one stoone.

20 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

If I sit on the trainer - I will usually read a book. Killing two birds with one stoone.

You should try a dictionary next time so you can learn to spell.  

• Haha 3

Hey Barry, well done. How many swims for the 20km? 
Swimming is my weakest leg. Volume through frequency seems to work better for me than straight longer sets.  

8 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Hey Barry, well done. How many swims for the 20km? 
Swimming is my weakest leg. Volume through frequency seems to work better for me than straight longer sets.  

Every day of the week mostly 3 K with a couple of shorter days the odd day up to 3400. Doing 2 squads. It does work even if its not exciting.

When I swim on my own I work through these sets:

image.png.342c521bbce25aa7f3106957e096308e.png

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Bosco said:

Volume through frequency seems to work better for me than straight longer sets.  

Volume in a single session only works for as long as you can maintain your technique.  Once your technique falls away, you are just practicing bad habits.

When I find myself no longer being able to hold my technique, I will sit out for a 100m (50m pool). It usually comes back after a small rest, but if it doesn't I get out.

Early in the season, especially if coming back after a break, it can mean short swim sessions. As the season progresses I start to set minimum distance I want to achieve.  I rarely last the entire session (typically 3.8 to 4.2km) until the last 10 weeks before my 'A' race.

• Thanks 1

Walked ten miles in smoke with an industrial strength face mask to finish off the virtual 2020 Santa Barbara triathlon. Wanted to run it, but I'd still be coughing up my lungs if I tried. Or still be passed out if I tried running with the mask.😷

• Like 1
Just now, Peter said:

Why

Why not.  

For the last 12 weeks it has been 5 up to 7hrs. It would be that long if out on the road.  I enjoy it.  It makes me happy and give me a sense of satisfaction to progressive to different levels.  

Training for me is a great way to relieve anxiety, stress and it gives me self worth.  

You may have others reasons and that is completely up to you.  

• Like 7

Saturday:
- 16km run. 1km easy, 5km faster than race pace, 3km free run just running comfortably hard to feel, 7km at race pace

https://www.strava.com/activities/3946753204

Sunday:
- 80km bike around Murarrie crit track. 20km easy, 10km at race pace, 50km Z2. 15min building ROTB. Hell of a day in the Brisbane westerly winds this morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3951592252/
https://www.strava.com/activities/3951581218

Edited by BNothling
  • Like 4

70mins MTB.

I'm thrashing it on the new diet, everything feels easier.  8 laps & rode home easy, could previously only manage 6 then limp home up the hill, could have done more laps if my joints were ok.  Higher HRs feel 10-20% easier.

Lucky I'm old & forked, else PJ would be in real trouble for leaking his diet secrets 😆.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Surfer said:

Have you started your new job?

Yeah, it's going ok thanks. Bit scary managing 13 people but getting there. It's going to be extremely busy with everything that's going on. TBH, it's a really good opportunity to get my ass into gear and simplify my equipment on the bike side.  

I can see myself only having time for running and the odd road or XC ride plus some surfing andI want to pay my mortgage off before I'm 60.  Having said that, the flexibility is amazing we work an over/under system which can mean and extra 10 days holiday per year, or as I've been doing, take Friday afternoons off!

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Yeah, it's going ok thanks. Bit scary managing 13 people but getting there. It's going to be extremely busy with everything that's going on. TBH, it's a really good opportunity to get my ass into gear and simplify my equipment on the bike side.  

I can see myself only having time for running and the odd road or XC ride plus some surfing andI want to pay my mortgage off before I'm 60.  Having said that, the flexibility is amazing we work an over/under system which can mean and extra 10 days holiday per year, or as I've been doing, take Friday afternoons off!

Flexibility like that makes a huge difference to how you can manage work, family, training & getting rid of your mortgage. Really pleased for you

• Like 1

First full ride back with my cycling mates.  Only been back with them a couple of months, with pretty much nothing since the start of last year.  Usually I stick it out through the first two climbs and then peel off and head back to the car.  Today I stuck out for the third climb which also meant a longer and solo ride back.  Really surprised that I ended up with my fastest av pace of late (considering the extra climb), but I feel kinda great now about to head into work.  Bit surprised by that.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, goughy said:

First full ride back with my cycling mates.  Only been back with them a couple of months, with pretty much nothing since the start of last year.  Usually I stick it out through the first two climbs and then peel off and head back to the car.  Today I stuck out for the third climb which also meant a longer and solo ride back.  Really surprised that I ended up with my fastest av pace of late (considering the extra climb), but I feel kinda great now about to head into work.  Bit surprised by that.

Well done Goughy 

An hour run (maximum allowed), lots of wind, dogs and unrestrained toddlers made life a bit interesting 

Screenshot_20200830-103233.png

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, -H- said:

An hour run (maximum allowed), lots of wind, dogs and unrestrained toddlers made life a bit interesting 

Screenshot_20200830-103233.png

You cut it close to the line H. I've noticed a couple of your runs within seconds of the hour.

40km/hr northerly (gusts over 50) make for hairlarious photos 😂 

Not much chance of me swimming today

118360611_691748504747989_4125663074720652055_n.jpg

Ok - I’ll use this thread as I want to see trichat have more posts this week than sandbox.
23km run @ ~ 5.00min/km; body is now telling me not as easy as it should have been given have not ran long in a little while. 

• Like 2

22km run this morning, almost continuous but two distinct paces. I was due to meet my family friend at 9.00 for a slow 7km with his daughters.

I wanted to do more than that, so I left at 7.50am and ran first and met him with 90 seconds to spare so it was:

13km, 1hr12, 5.33 pace
8km, 58min, 7.14pace

• Like 1

Another week down, another solid weekend of training.

Saturday:
- 19km run. 1km easy, 5km moderate, 3km free run, 10km race pace. Managed to bang out the 10km at 5:29/km so pretty happy with that.

Sunday:
- 75km bike at Murarrie crit track. 20km easy, 15km at race pace, 40km Z2. 20min ROTB. Bike was really weird. I was able to put the power down, but my happy place in terms of cadence was around 65-70rpm. I kept finding myself in the 53-12 and just rolling the legs over at the target power. I'm normally in the 70-80rpm range so this was unusual, but putting it down to fatigued legs after Saturday. Was holding 34ish for the Z2/easy segments and 36ish for the race pace effort.

Saturday: https://www.strava.com/activities/3979133064
Sunday: https://www.strava.com/activities/3983822175

Edited by BNothling
  • Like 3
58 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Another week down, another solid weekend of training.

Saturday:
- 19km run. 1km easy, 5km moderate, 3km free run, 10km race pace. Managed to bang out the 10km at 5:29/km so pretty happy with that.

Sunday:
- 75km bike at Murarrie crit track. 20km easy, 15km at race pace, 40km Z2. 20min ROTB. Bike was really weird. I was able to put the power down, but my happy place in terms of cadence was around 65-70rpm. I kept finding myself in the 53-12 and just rolling the legs over at the target power. I'm normally in the 70-80rpm range so this was unusual, but putting it down to fatigued legs after Saturday. Was holding 34ish for the Z2/easy segments and 36ish for the race pace effort.

Saturday: https://www.strava.com/activities/3979133064
Sunday: https://www.strava.com/activities/3983822175

Nice one.

Last proper training sessions before Sunshine Coast 70.3

Saturday: 
- 19km run. Same format as last week. 1km easy, 5km moderate, 3km free run and 10km at race pace. Ran with a mate of mine so 2 of the 3 free run kms were done a bit easier before I freed the legs a little bit and busted out a 5:00/km just because. Felt really good for the rest of the run. Box ticked.

Sunday:
- 75km bike at Murarrie crit track in full race trim - tri suit, race helmet, disc wheel. 20km at 200W before 15km at 220W, then doing 40km at 200W again. Unfortunately there was a track booking that wasn't on the schedule and the track got forcefully closed at my 38km mark, but by that stage I'd done the 'race pace' section so it was really only an extra 37km of 200W cruise that I missed out on. Nothing too bad. Finished it off with a 10 minute ROTB.

Saturday: https://www.strava.com/activities/4011859860
Sunday: https://www.strava.com/activities/4017391944 

Have I done enough to be ready for the 70.3? Yeah, I think so. Body is feeling pretty good and everything has gone relatively to plan. I have my goals, and my hopes and dreams of that magical perfect race, but we all know that there's so many things outside of our control that can blow everything out of the water. All that I can hope for is a performance representative of the work that I've put in.

• Like 4

I went for a mountain bike ride this morning as I often so when the surf is no good but the difference this morning was a guy opened his van door just as I was there! I was within 3km of home in the back streets about to head back onto a connecting trail and bang there I am on the deck on the road. The door edge hit me in the clavicle - a little faster and I would had a broken collar bone for sure, just bruised a bit and disappointed my radar didn't see this coming.

Edited by Slowman
spellin
  • Sad 2

Sorry to hear that Slowman but glad to hear not badly hurt.

I did a 39km road ride with a local bunch last night and we came home in the dark.  Made me remember how much I dislike riding on the road at night.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I did a 39km road ride with a local bunch last night and we came home in the dark.  Made me remember how much I dislike riding on the road at night.

I love riding in the morning.  The darkness doesn't worry me when there aren't many cars on the road.

But never liked commuting home from work in dark.  Probably more that I don't like cycling in traffic

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Rob said:

I love riding in the morning.  The darkness doesn't worry me when there aren't many cars on the road.

But never liked commuting home from work in dark.  Probably more that I don't like cycling in traffic

Similar. I love riding at night, but later once the traffic has gone.

• Like 1