What training did you do today...

VenTop - The Zwift version of Mt Ventoux completed. What a slog. I went up and down again so a total ride of 44km in 2:10.

1hr 43 mins for the 19.05km and 1476m of elevation @ 8% for the actual route.

• Like 2
  • Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

42km trail marathon. 800mtrs elevation.  4hrs11min,  came 5th overall, 3rd male and 1st male over 40.  £70 worth of OMM vouchers, wohoo 👍

Rode my bike 

City 2 Surf. Managed 54:11 so averaging 3:54 over 14k. Pretty chuffed! 6 minutes faster than two years ago 

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Gundy said:

VenTop - The Zwift version of Mt Ventoux completed. What a slog. I went up and down again so a total ride of 44km in 2:10.

1hr 43 mins for the 19.05km and 1476m of elevation @ 8% for the actual route.

I'm looking forward to free-riding it at some point. The Alpe annoys me with the little kickers and gradient changes at each corner. I'd rather just settle into a rhythm and turn the legs over.

29 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'm looking forward to free-riding it at some point. The Alpe annoys me with the little kickers and gradient changes at each corner. I'd rather just settle into a rhythm and turn the legs over.

Ha ha - was just discussing with a friend that we preferred the Alpe because of the changes in gradient breaking it up a little. On the Ventop route, the couple of times you get a gradient change were a welcome relief. 

9 hours ago, Gundy said:

Ha ha - was just discussing with a friend that we preferred the Alpe because of the changes in gradient breaking it up a little. On the Ventop route, the couple of times you get a gradient change were a welcome relief. 

I ignore the hairpins on the Alpe. Mentally I break it down Into three sections:

Bottom to digger.

Digger to tents.

7-6 transfer to top.

I find it easier that way.

Edited by FatPom

Cycled the beautiful Cotter - Uriarra loop again today after lunch. This is one great thing about working from home - being able to cycle whenever you want. In Canberra in winter, that means glorious glorious sunshine anytime after 10am

• Like 2

Little One tried shredding some gnar at Swinley Bike Park. Session cut short. She'll live.

It was my life expectancy in doubt when returning to Mrs FP 😂

20200722_115524.jpg

• Like 3
18 hours ago, FatPom said:

Little One tried shredding some gnar at Swinley Bike Park. Session cut short. She'll live.

It was my life expectancy in doubt when returning to Mrs FP 😂

20200722_115524.jpg

Too bad these weren't around when she was younger :D Could have got her used to high speed (up to 18kph) accidents :whistling:

Edited by dazaau
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Too bad these weren't around when she was younger :D Could have got her used to high speed accidents :whistling:

We had a couple of these when I was a kid. And yes, you do eventually get used to high speed accidents. :)

[IMG]

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

We had a couple of these when I was a kid. And yes, you do eventually get used to high speed accidents. :)

[IMG]

That is the famous Deckson DareDevil minibike.  What a weapon.

I got one of these for my 10th birthday.

452647898_Honda50Z.jpg.a890aeb4166328227f8ff34fb13b02ac.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

That is the famous Deckson DareDevil minibike.  What a weapon.

I got one of these for my 10th birthday.

452647898_Honda50Z.jpg.a890aeb4166328227f8ff34fb13b02ac.jpg

I think ours was a "Deltek Grass Grub". I can remember going over the handlebars a few times on it. Great fun for kids. It's actually still sitting under Mum's house. Maybe @Mike Del we should do it up and have some more fun. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

17.6km run walk with repeats of St Cathrine’s Hill. 2hr34, 650 mtrs vert.

St Catherines Hill has 331 wooden steps, I don’t like descending them, as they are covered in wire mesh and it’s easy to trip.
I walk up the stairs, then descend the technical trail, then ascend and descend the tech trail on the opposite side. Good training, as my descending sucks.

• Like 1

Leg training! Went spear fishing and there was 2.6knots of current, the whole time I was kicking  like all buggery just to stay over the ledge we were diving on.  Legs are buggered today

• Like 1

Saturday - 90km in the rain, spent the first hour wondering if I should go home as lightning was approaching but that disappeared.  Have been doing most of my riding on the trainer but had organised to catch up with a mate.  He pulled the pin with the rain....should have stayed on the trainer.

Sunday - 21.1km run, second fastest ever run of that length.  1:49:55.  Need to drop some weight to go faster I reckon, half marathons at 91kg destroy the legs!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Toolish said:

Sunday - 21.1km run, second fastest ever run of that length.  1:49:55.  

A solo effort PB over that distance.  Impressive!

I was toying with the idea of a solo 5km TT, but didn't believe I could push myself hard enough without racing against others.  So now I'm tossing up between a 1km or 1 mile TT.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Surfer said:

Did you buy new trail shoes FP?

Not yet, still working through the Speedgoats in my rotation, one brand new pair to go but definitely on the lookout.  Since my go to running shop in Somt closed down, it’s surprisingly hard to find shops that readily stock trail stuff. So I might have to take a punt online.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, FatPom said:

Not yet, still working through the Speedgoats in my rotation

The Speedgoats are on my list of shoes to try out.  What do you think of them?

On 29/07/2020 at 1:37 AM, Rob said:

The Speedgoats are on my list of shoes to try out.  What do you think of them?

Really like them, I’ve had versions 1,2 and 3 and all have been good. First version were a bit tight in the toe, so I always go up a half size (normally a 9, so I get 9.5), they grip pretty well in all but real sloppy mud.

They run pretty comfortable on the road as well, so if your  trail running is mixed, they are excellent.

The only issue I have, is that I keep tumbling and I’m not sure if it’s me or the shoe. The mid sole is thick and I think it contributes to a lack of feel, particularly around tree roots and the kind of trail where you have half buried stones.

For hard baked trail, fire road, grass etc, they are great.

Edited by FatPom
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

The only issue I have, is that I keep tumbling and I’m not sure if it’s me or the shoe. The mid sole is thick and I think it contributes to a lack of feel, particularly around tree roots and the kind of trail where you have half buried stones.

I wondered about that.  I've only recently added the Hoka Clifton and Rincon to my road running rotation.  They are both great for running on harder surfaces, but with the cushioning comes a disconnection from the ground.

My trail runners have typically been quite minimalist, with great ground feel.  Looking for something with more cushioning to wear for the 50+km Ultra Trail Run (when races start happening again).  But was worried about lack of ground feel resulting in me falling over, especially on technical descents.

Currently testing out the Saucony Mad River TR which are pretty good, but not as much cushioning as I'd expect in a Hoka.

London PRL Full completed. 174km with 2,284m of elevation in 6hr 23mins. Got off the bike a couple of times for breaks when I was really struggling so actual time was about 20 minutes longer.

I was ready to quit after 90km. Just wasn't feeling it and actually started to feel a bit crook in the guts as well. Kept going just because if I didn't do it now it would never get done.

Enjoyed none of it. Glad that it's done. Unfortunate that it took so long to find the time to finally ride this route to complete the 'all route badges on Zwift' challenge because with the release of the New France world there are now more route badges (I would insert a facepalm emoji here but can't find one)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good on ya Gundy. You had  a similar overall time to me

I didn't really take any proper breaks, I think one pee stop and some bottle changes but I did get off and stretch for the last 4 descents.

Yeah those French courses caused me to swear a little. Thought I was done Haha 

Edited by FatPom
21 minutes ago, FatPom said:

21km easy pace with loaded vest. 1hr56 at 5.31 pace

Do you think the big block of riding you did is helping your running as you start picking up run training?

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Do you think the big block of riding you did is helping your running as you start picking up run training?

Personally, I've always found  my running  helped my cycling   more than the other way around but I seem to be in the minority.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, FatPom said:

Personally, I've always found  my running  helped my cycling   more than the other way around but I seem to be in the minority.

I'm the same.

However I think it is more that I can ramp up my cycling miles much quicker than the run mileage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

15km run along the waterfront at Wynnum/Manly/Lota yesterday. Done as 1km easy, 5km comfortably hard, 2km faster than 5:00/km, 7km at race pace.

Quick run to Wellington Point this morning on TT bike just because. Completely kicked myself in the balls by not charging the Di2 meaning I got stuck in the 39-12 early on. Also didn't quite tighten the rear skewer this morning and it eventually fell open on the way home (without me realising) so I was also dragging a rear brake caliper. Also forgot that I didn't replace the cleats on my left tri shoe so my foot kept falling out of the pedal. Lessons learned.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
On 01/08/2020 at 6:35 PM, BNothling said:

20km run this morning. 1km easy, 5km moderate, 6x 800m harder/400m easier, 6.8km at target race pace.

21 hours ago, BNothling said:

15km run along the waterfront at Wynnum/Manly/Lota yesterday. Done as 1km easy, 5km comfortably hard, 2km faster than 5:00/km, 7km at race pace.

You seem to do very complicated run sessions.

Are these set out by a coach, or are you making them up as you go?

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Hey Rob, 

Sorry for the slow reply, only just saw this now.

One of my biggest weaknesses at the 70.3 distance is being able to settle back into a rhythm after a HR spike of some description, whether it be running up a hill, putting on a bit of a surge past family or even choking on a cup of water at an aid station. I've been working really hard on going over my Z3 HR (which is where I tend to race at) and then settling back down into a comfortable pace. As said, on race day these pushes out of Z3 and into Z4 might be terrain related, but I can control them in training by increasing pace. I try to think of it as doing overs/unders on the bike as well with a push over ideal race pace and then settling back into it. I also find that the 'intervals' help to break up the long runs.

There's a lot more to my training than the 2 weekend sessions that I post here of course so this is just a small snapshot into it, but hopefully it all comes together on race day. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Rob said:

That seems pretty simple to me.

13 hours ago, BNothling said:

Hey Rob, 

Sorry for the slow reply, only just saw this now.

One of my biggest weaknesses at the 70.3 distance is being able to settle back into a rhythm after a HR spike of some description, whether it be running up a hill, putting on a bit of a surge past family or even choking on a cup of water at an aid station. I've been working really hard on going over my Z3 HR (which is where I tend to race at) and then settling back down into a comfortable pace. As said, on race day these pushes out of Z3 and into Z4 might be terrain related, but I can control them in training by increasing pace. I try to think of it as doing overs/unders on the bike as well with a push over ideal race pace and then settling back into it. I also find that the 'intervals' help to break up the long runs.

There's a lot more to my training than the 2 weekend sessions that I post here of course so this is just a small snapshot into it, but hopefully it all comes together on race day. 

Good reply.

Looking at the Strava link for the first session. My main comment would be that there is not a lot of pace difference between the efforts. For example your fastest 800m effort is only 40 secs per km quicker than your warmup pace.  Maybe it is just that your warmup pace is too fast (would also recommend a longer warmup).

Having, what I see as, complicated sessions can often see your efforts all merging into zone 3.  An area I try hard to avoid, or at least minimise in my training.  Obviously allowing that your HIM race pace efforts may fall into Z3.

Below is a snapshot of my Threshold Intervals from yesterday (short session as I'm just transitioning out of Base Training).

ThresholdLaps.thumb.png.ff5fc3f50199cf78c239a720e3251db2.png

But there is a large gap between my threshold and easy pace.  Having a very simple session makes it easier to hit the different zones

Understand, as per your explanation, that there was deliberare intention for your recent sessions. Just highlighting a trap that too many of those type of sessions can lead to.

Lots of different methods and opinions. Even looking at the pros you would see vast differences in the way they train.  So each to own.  Just thought I'd lend you my own personal opinion.

Hope my post made sense.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Rob said:

Good reply.

Looking at the Strava link for the first session. My main comment would be that there is not a lot of pace difference between the efforts. For example your fastest 800m effort is only 40 secs per km quicker than your warmup pace.  Maybe it is just that your warmup pace is too fast (would also recommend a longer warmup).

Having, what I see as, complicated sessions can often see your efforts all merging into zone 3.  An area I try hard to avoid, or at least minimise in my training.  Obviously allowing that your HIM race pace efforts may fall into Z3.

Below is a snapshot of my Threshold Intervals from yesterday (short session as I'm just transitioning out of Base Training).

But there is a large gap between my threshold and easy pace.  Having a very simple session makes it easier to hit the different zones

Understand, as per your explanation, that there was deliberare intention for your recent sessions. Just highlighting a trap that too many of those type of sessions can lead to.

Lots of different methods and opinions. Even looking at the pros you would see vast differences in the way they train.  So each to own.  Just thought I'd lend you my own personal opinion.

Hope my post made sense.

Fair comments. I started this run with a mate of mine so I was trying to keep up with him in the first Z2 1000m. I'd also like to point out that there was about 10-15 minutes of drills and strides so it's not like I roll out of the door and bust out 20km.

All of my race pace efforts are around the 5:30-5:40/km range, which is towards the top of Z3. I understand all of the discussion around that zone, but it is the best place for me to be to simulate race stresses and intensities. I only do this sort of running training towards the end of a training block and subscribe more to a Z2/Z4 polarised type setup for the first 8-12 weeks depending.

If I was to roll out of the door and focus on Z2, my pace settles more into around 6:00/km, Z3 is around 5:30/km and Z4 is around 5:00/km. My intervals in the training session were aimed at around that 5:00/km pace, but I did hold back just a touch and was poking around the 5:10/km sort of pace. Again, the HR was nudging up and simulating that sort of 'up a hill and then recover' type deal. 

For reference, my Z2 HR is 121-147, Z3 is 148-167, Z4 is 168-186 based on an anaerobic threshold of 175bpm.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, BogFrog said:

1 hour on the trainer as winter has returned here.  It was supposed to be 1hr30mins but I lost the will to live at 59 mins.  God I HATE the trainer

That's just entry level hate.  I've done a 6hr47 and a 6hr11 stint in the same month, you get a new definition of deep loathing, plus you can invent new swearwords! 😅

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, FatPom said:

That's just entry level hate.  I've done a 6hr47 and a 6hr11 stint in the same month, you get a new definition of deep loathing, plus you can invent new swearwords! 😅

Masochist

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Masochist

might be time to get a smart trainer and zwift subscription. Though I still have no idea how FP can do even that for over 6hrs without losing the will to live.

Could not imagine doing anything like 6 hours.

But I have done a couple of 3 hour rides on the Rollers (with Zwift).  However I get off every 40 mins for a 1 min break.