What training did you do today...

Advanced issue found

On 01/07/2020 at 12:03 AM, FatPom said:

TRON bike by end of June. Mission accomplished. 😎

Have you had a sense of "what now?" yet?

Even though I unlocked the Tron a few weeks ago and will never use it because it's actually not the stand-out fastest bike that it used to be, I still feel like I don't really have anything obtainable to work towards. At the end of the day, we're all going to unlock the Tron and reach level 50 if you keep using the platform for long enough, but I kinda feel like that's the 'game' side of it done. I have the bikes and stuff that I want to use, it's pretty much just the 858 Zipps and the 858/Super9 combo that I'm chasing.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

42km trail marathon. 800mtrs elevation.  4hrs11min,  came 5th overall, 3rd male and 1st male over 40.  £70 worth of OMM vouchers, wohoo 👍

Rode my bike 

City 2 Surf. Managed 54:11 so averaging 3:54 over 14k. Pretty chuffed! 6 minutes faster than two years ago 

Posted Images

Had a few days away camping on Moreton Island with the family so no formal exercise other than fishing and drinking.

Got up this morning and did the AHDR Bacon Rolls Ride - 41km in 1:05 with 155m of elevation.

Still have just the 1 route badge to go but because it's the London PRL Full and I need at least 6-7 hours of 'free time' I'm not sure when I'm going to fit that in. Keen to do the virtual L'Etape du Tour stages over the next few weekends so maybe after that.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BNothling said:

Have you had a sense of "what now?" yet?

Even though I unlocked the Tron a few weeks ago and will never use it because it's actually not the stand-out fastest bike that it used to be, I still feel like I don't really have anything obtainable to work towards. At the end of the day, we're all going to unlock the Tron and reach level 50 if you keep using the platform for long enough, but I kinda feel like that's the 'game' side of it done. I have the bikes and stuff that I want to use, it's pretty much just the 858 Zipps and the 858/Super9 combo that I'm chasing.

Not really mate.  I'm not touching the turbo for a few days, as I will be away and I want to ride outdoors but mainly I want to run a lot.  I've been on Zwift for a good while now and before that I spent a lot of time on the dumb turbo.  The badges and Tron bike were just something to focus on in the last 6-8 weeks with lockdown and now racing.

There is still plenty on there for me, like the new French world (when it opens, you can hack into it now, so I may do that),  and  of course, the Everest badge. Even if I had all those though, I'd still use Zwift a lot, as I like it for testing myself for different courses and the workouts.

The game side of it has always been less important to me, that's why  I very rarely use the app and I never use chat.  I think it makes the turbo less monotonous, plus I'm using the 12mth voucher I got for my birthday, so won't waste that.  I'm pretty happy just using it as a tool.

But mostly I just want to run now, a lot!

Edited by FatPom
3 hours ago, FatPom said:

Not really mate.  I'm not touching the turbo for a few days, as I will be away and I want to ride outdoors but mainly I want to run a lot.  I've been on Zwift for a good while now and before that I spent a lot of time on the dumb turbo.  The badges and Tron bike were just something to focus on in the last 6-8 weeks with lockdown and now racing.

There is still plenty on there for me, like the new French world (when it opens, you can hack into it now, so I may do that),  and  of course, the Everest badge. Even if I had all those though, I'd still use Zwift a lot, as I like it for testing myself for different courses and the workouts.

The game side of it has always been less important to me, that's why  I very rarely use the app and I never use chat.  I think it makes the turbo less monotonous, plus I'm using the 12mth voucher I got for my birthday, so won't waste that.  I'm pretty happy just using it as a tool.

But mostly I just want to run now, a lot!

Fair enough.

I'm very much the same. Zwift has always been a training tool and I use it for racing now as well in a regular series on Saturday mornings. I can't wait for France. The routes look epic and I'm looking forward to Ventoux. I don't really enjoy the Alpe much for some reason, so the thought of a longer, shallower climb to mix it up with gets me a bit keen.

I'm still chasing badges, but it just feels like the Tron has been built up to be this epic holy grail of Zwift and when I unlocked it, it felt a bit like there wasn't much else to chase. 

Some frosty mornings lately and I've been struggling to get out from under the doona.

Went for my first run in months on Saturday - 10.7km in 1 hour with the kids on their bikes keeping me company.

Sunday did the first stage of the virtual Letape ride on Zwift - 33km in 1:02 with 686m of elevation. I did a PB up the epic KOM of 25:23 and increased my FTP from 250 to 256 according to Zwift. I'm feeling stronger on the bike so not a complete surprise but am also due to do a spin down calibration so won't get too excited just in case that's the reason for the improved performance!

• Like 1

A couple of solid training sessions under the belt in the last few days.

Sunday: 65km bike - 29.3kmh, 218W ave, 144bpm ave
Monday: 17.5km run with 6x 1:00 surges to about 5:00/km and 1km between each - 5:27/km, 158bpm ave
Tuesday: 45min TT bike - 220W with 4x 3:00 efforts at 250W with 5:00 between each - 223W ave, 148bpm ave

Looking forward to a swim tomorrow and taking some of the fatigue out of the legs.

• Like 1

I haven't done much since last Tues.  My legs are shot.

Friday I went for a 5km trail run with hill reps. I was at my Mum's for a few days, so I ran with a 73 yr old family friend, he's an excellent runner and qualified for this year's London Marathon last year with a 3.50 at Yeovil marathon!  

That was followed up with about 10hrs of back breaking plumbing that needed doing at Mum's house.

Sunday I did an easy 10km with the same friend in 1:03 but my legs felt that.

Yesterday I took the Tron bike for a spin but only for 40mins.  I might run later today with Little One but I'm still not feeling it TBH.

• Like 1

Tuesday morning went back up the Alpe - 31.4km in 1:26 with 1059m of elevation. 1:01.30 to go up the Alpe so getting closer to breaking the 1 hour mark.

Today I did a custom workout - 34km in 1:03 with 195m of elevation. Felt pretty good.

• Like 1

Yesterday was

Lunch time ride 45km with 10 x KOM - turned myself inside out chasing a couple of them.

Then

5:30 - SAS- Out & Back (C) 35.69km avg 238 watts

6;30- Virtual Tour de France stage 3 29.8km avg 211watts

I slept well last night

• Like 1

I know this should probably go in the "What training are you going to do?" thread, but I'm doing a lap of Big Foot Hills (about 75km) on Sunday morning at 5am AEST. Pace will be a steady 2.5W/kg or thereabouts.

If anyone's keen let me know and you can jump in.

To keep the post on topic, did a swim last night of 1200m before the pool closed at 6pm and will be doing an 8km run tonight. 

Edited by BNothling
7 hours ago, Gundy said:

Tuesday morning went back up the Alpe - 31.4km in 1:26 with 1059m of elevation. 1:01.30 to go up the Alpe so getting closer to breaking the 1 hour mark.

Today I did a custom workout - 34km in 1:03 with 195m of elevation. Felt pretty good.

That's good going mate.  It's weird, my two best times up the Alpe have both been on the TT bike.  I've spent some drops and bought a Tarmac Pro, so I might give it a crack on that later in the week.

• Like 1
On 11/07/2020 at 4:21 AM, Bored@work said:

Uber pretzel on Zwift. 5:08 with an avg watts of 204. Not bad after a hard 2hr session yesterday.

That gives me 394km for the week 

Good time for the UP, 70mins faster than me

Well this morning I turned my hand to a bit of UFC against some punk who was trying to break into my house.  Got a call from the wife at 0500 asking if that was me trying to get in.  I was still at work, rushed home and disturbed them.  

I’m a better street fighter than I remembered.  Think he wishes the cops got here before I did.😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Nice IJ. How are you hacking into the routes?

Enter stage 2 of L'Etape, and at the top of the main KOM quit the event and turn left

It's pretty much a steeper Alpe with a reverse Epic KOM chaser.  The first 2/3 of the climb averages around 11-12 percent.  Once it swings north at Chalet Reynard it flattens out a bit to 6-7 percent.  If you dont have at least a 28T cog, you're not going to enjoy it very much...

• Like 2

Weekend at the Gold Coast visiting the inlaws. 2 x runs Saturday and Sunday morning looking at property I'd like to buy but can't afford.

Saturday Burleigh Heads - 8.2 kms in 47minutes.

Sunday Currumbin to Kirra and return - 12.5km in 1:05.

• Like 3

Zwift: Three Sisters.

48.4km. 1hr43, 897 mtrs, 226 av watts.

I used the Tron bike to the top of the tower, then swapped to TT with 808/disc and used that for the rest of ride. I did PR both Epic and Volcano but Epic was a 30 day PR with 29.40 (I’ve done mid 28s before).

Volcano I was pleased with. An outright PR with 10.24 on the TT rig. I can’t make my body out, every single climbing PR I’ve done on Zwift has been with a TT bike

• Like 3
On 12/07/2020 at 5:07 PM, KieranR said:

Well this morning I turned my hand to a bit of UFC against some punk who was trying to break into my house.  Got a call from the wife at 0500 asking if that was me trying to get in.  I was still at work, rushed home and disturbed them.  

I’m a better street fighter than I remembered.  Think he wishes the cops got here before I did.😉

Is it on Strava ?

• Haha 1
On 13/07/2020 at 10:31 AM, Gundy said:

Sunday Currumbin to Kirra and return - 12.5km in 1:05.

How good is the path now? A great improvement. 

80kms on the bike out to Mt Dandenong for my almost daily faux commute. It's my only escape from home under lockdown as I've been WFH since March.  

The roads are so quiet out there early morning. I rode from the Basin up to the top of Mt Dandenong one day last week and had only 1 car pass me for the 9.4kms to Olinda. Just damn cold, wet and foggy at times.

One of APs VO2 max windtrainer sessions.

I'm too old for that shit!  Harder than the InformCycling interval sessions I've been doing with the Mrs.

My mate always says, if you can't taste blood in the back of your throat, you haven't gone hard enough.  Passed the test.

13 hours ago, Tyno said:

How good is the path now? A great improvement. 

It's phenomenal. When I'm at the Gold Coast I usually go running at Burleigh but that path is getting so crowded as to be almost impossible these days.

I think Currumbin/Tugun is now my spot and I just need to come up with 1-2 million dollars so I can have a place nice and close to the path/beach.

• Haha 2

Tuesday - AHDR Bacon Rolls. 40km in 1 hour.

Wednesday I tried doing one of the Tour de France discovery rides but Zwift kicked me out of the app once the countdown to the start of the ride in the pen reached zero. Never had that happen before and couldn't rejoin the ride so went and tried the Step by Step workout instead. 22km in 43 mins.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, POT said:

80kms on the bike out to Mt Dandenong for my almost daily faux commute. It's my only escape from home under lockdown as I've been WFH since March.  

The roads are so quiet out there early morning. I rode from the Basin up to the top of Mt Dandenong one day last week and had only 1 car pass me for the 9.4kms to Olinda. Just damn cold, wet and foggy at times.

Absolutely love riding in the Dandenongs.  Although not always the best place to ride in the middle of Winter.

Just finished one of those spooky good runs where it just clicks and things feel a little unnervingly comfortable.

1km Z2 warm up into 5.5km Z3. Z2 ended up being 5:37/km and the Z3 segment worked out to 5:04/km. I've never pulled that sort of pace before at those intensities. 

I know that realistically it's a combination of running at the end of the day when I'm awake and loose, having got carbs in my system, coming to the end of a deload week and having a decent training block under my legs over the last 4 weeks and a multitude of other things, but hopefully I can go on with it and keep this momentum up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3769741443/overview

• Like 2

Road the Port Mac IM course on Rouvy today.

Now I don’t like indoor riding and do a a needs must. This was the first time I rode a ride on Rouvy that I had done in real life on the actual road. It was actually really good because I could visualise the real experience; instead of the experience of being in the garage.

Also if you are going to Port for the first time the experience of riding it on Rouvy would be worthwhile to get a feel for the gears etc.

• Like 1

14km, 1hr25 at 6.04 pace.

I was knackered from flat pack overload yesterday but that doesn’t tell the whole story. My plan was to do some hill repeats, so at the end of the trail that’s on my doorstep, theres a tarmac hill which is bloody steep when you run it and would give me at least 30-35mtrs (I’ve never measured it)

So I figured I’d do 10 reps of that and try to run them all (not fast) and then carry on my normal local loop. Which all went according to plan, did 10 reps, shuffled up and jogged back down.

Only snag was each rep was giving me only 16mtrs! Looks more than that from the bottom 😄

So I ended up with 228mtrs for my run but still a good session.

I've entered this, so need some vert in my legs.

http://thefandancerace.com

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Awesome FP. 
Ow do you prepare the legs for the downhill for something like that?  it’s the downhills that smash me! 

I try to with extra S&C but it hurst. My biggest problem descending technical is that I'm just not very good at it and lose a ton of time.

I'm not doing the fully loaded version, I'm doing the 'clean fatigue'  (trail running packs with mandatory kit). We go off an hour later than the fully loaded folks.

15 hours ago, BNothling said:

I know that realistically it's a combination of running at the end of the day when I'm awake and loose, having got carbs in my system,

Just shows how different we all are.

I'm much better in the morning, ideally around an hour after breakfast which contains minimal carbs.  Later in the afternoon I usually feel very sluggish, and often feel worse if I train after eating carbs.

15 hours ago, FatPom said:

Are you doing the 'Load Bearing' or 'Clean Fatigue' version?

15 hours ago, Bosco said:

Ow do you prepare the legs for the downhill for something like that?  it’s the downhills that smash me! 

Practice helps. You need to learn to descend without putting the braking forces through your legs (which kills your quads).  And the more you run downhill, the more your muscles will become acustomed. Key is to start off easy and gradually add more downhill.

If off-road, trail runners with good grip are a huge benefit.

30 minutes ago, Rob said:

Just shows how different we all are.

I'm much better in the morning, ideally around an hour after breakfast which contains minimal carbs.  Later in the afternoon I usually feel very sluggish, and often feel worse if I train after eating carbs.

I very much prefer to train in the morning before the twins wake up. I'm normally out running or on the bike before 5am and done by 630am for breakfast. I would love to eat and go and would actually prefer to do so, but time is of the essence.

If I have to train after they go to bed at 630pm, I'm much more likely to pike or just 'get it done' because I'm trashed after a day at work and then sorting the girls out.

Before they arrived though, I always used to eat and then train and that was all good.

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Are you doing the 'Load Bearing' or 'Clean Fatigue' version?

As per post, 'Clean Fatigue'  there's a limit to my craziness. 😅

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

As per post, 'Clean Fatigue'  there's a limit to my craziness. 😅

Ah, I didn't read the your subsequent post properly.

That 'Clean Fatigue' version looks pretty good. 

Not sure I'd pay money to do the 'Fully Loaded' one.  Not going to be able to run much with a heavy pack and hiking boots.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Ah, I didn't read the your subsequent post properly.

That 'Clean Fatigue' version looks pretty good. 

Not sure I'd pay money to do the 'Fully Loaded' one.  Not going to be able to run much with a heavy pack and hiking boots.

I think there're two types that do the fully loaded. Those that are/were military and those that wish they were.  I know my limits!

I looked at the winter version on YT, absolute bonkers!

Yesterday I posted my 100th run in 100 days.

All the runs were easy.  Longest run: 20km, Biggest weekly mileage: 80km

Now to start adding some quality.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

75min ride with the Mrs.  For the first 15kms we were keeping pace with a pro triathlete & actually catching her on the hills.....though I think she was probably riding 100+kms easy, not 35kms like us!

On the way home, the 7hrs on my feet fishing & rock scrambling caught up with me & the Mrs kept shouting "how are you going back there".

The smartarse 😣

Miscalculated a little, and the ride leader added a couple of extra bits and ended up doing 150km with 1300m vert. Ride was beautiful though. Scenery spectacular. The wind picked up halfway and it was a bit of a slog at the end. 100m short of my longest ride ever (although my longest had double the vert) (am I allowed to use term "vert" foe cycling or is it exclusive to running? 🤔)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SomeTri said:

Miscalculated a little, and the ride leader added a couple of extra bits and ended up doing 150km with 1300m vert. Ride was beautiful though. Scenery spectacular. The wind picked up halfway and it was a bit of a slog at the end. 100m short of my longest ride ever (although my longest had double the vert) (am I allowed to use term "vert" foe cycling or is it exclusive to running? 🤔)

Depends. Do you consider baby food a legitimate food source? 😄

You know, I can't even call what I do training anymore.  It's just lifestyle.....

• Like 2