What training did you do today...

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

42km trail marathon. 800mtrs elevation.  4hrs11min,  came 5th overall, 3rd male and 1st male over 40.  £70 worth of OMM vouchers, wohoo 👍

Rode my bike 

City 2 Surf. Managed 54:11 so averaging 3:54 over 14k. Pretty chuffed! 6 minutes faster than two years ago 

Posted Images

Just a little 12km swim this morning around the dam a few times.

Good group of swimmers to go with now. 3 are going to Rotto, a couple doing Channel swims this year, and one hoping to do a backstroke Channel swim. They know how to go long.

Yesterday - parkrun Nepean River - course PB. Trying to work on a 5k PB of sub 30mins, but I need to drop another 5kg I think, or maybe wait until winter. Followed up with a lazy 1.3km swim (mostly fins).

Today - aiming for a 2 hour cruisy ride with a mate, but two thumb tacs made me pull the pin after 10km. Not enough spares. Cat Terrist had to come pick me up. PTC race this afternoon, owing to the weather (super hot) and the start time (5.30pm) I have decided to downgrade to the enticer, would rather be done by 6.15 than 7pm or later.

Took a teaspoon of concrete and four Imodium....

12x500 done.

Avg pace 1:50

I blame Ex's kms for this swim [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Gotta keep up with the Jones'

Swam at Claremont [emoji41][emoji106]4c5907eabb2ed64e054a9e1853b9d6d0.jpg85eac5e9e90a8a14ec8a75517586df8c.jpg

You'll be flying through the water soon.

Have you had someone check your stroke. With the miles your doing, you could knock some serious time off with the right form.

You'll be flying through the water soon.

Have you had someone check your stroke. With the miles your doing, you could knock some serious time off with the right form.

No. I have a few mental cues that I repeat as I swim. And absolutely no soreness in my shoulders etc, so I must be doing something right? LOL [emoji1]

Mantras are as follows

Spear the Fish, fingers lower than elbow

Keep the coin on the tips of your fingers

Brush your hip with the stroke

Just keep throwing the arms over

Don't slip the catch and spin circles

Also have a mental image of Craig Walton swimming in open water in my head to remind me of upping the cadence

• Like 1

I knocked about 10 seconds off my speed from 60 minutes with Bruce here in Sydney!

10sec per 100m?

I am also not a lifetime swimmer. I taught myself to swim by reading Dave Scott Triathlon Training and looking at the pictures probably only 10 years ago.

At this point of my "development" I am not trying to get fast. Just fit and strong. 99% of my sets are paddles and bouy. Tired arms not lungs. Might seem backwards to some, but it is bloody working for me so I am going to keep doing it.

I will look into a 1:1 session with Swim Smooth, they're based out of Claremont I think [emoji106]

did some gym work Saturday morning. Then nothing training wise but did:

Completely re cable (internal bike), change bars, strip and service both calipers, rear mech strip and clean, changed chain, changed crank seals and bearings, changed headset bearings, brake pads, new tyres and bar tape.

Does that count? :smile1:

• Like 1

10sec per 100m?

I am also not a lifetime swimmer. I taught myself to swim by reading Dave Scott Triathlon Training and looking at the pictures probably only 10 years ago.

At this point of my "development" I am not trying to get fast. Just fit and strong. 99% of my sets are paddles and bouy. Tired arms not lungs. Might seem backwards to some, but it is bloody working for me so I am going to keep doing it.

I will look into a 1:1 session with Swim Smooth, they're based out of Claremont I think [emoji106]

It'd be worth it FFF. Or even strike up a rapport with a local coach where you do all your swimming and ask them for a quick summary of your stroke & what you can improve. When I got back into training after 20 years away, I trained at Albany Creek, where John Rodgers had his Olympians swimming. He was a top bloke, and use to give me tips now & then & got my stroke back on track after a long time away.

• Like 1

A steady 2.2km this morning. I was tired from yesterday, but wanted to roll the arms over to loosen things out. Very happy with it though. A short warm up, then nearly 2km at 1:35 pace. No pain, no niggles, and after the first few hundred, no real tiredness from the last swim.

• Like 1

A steady 2.2km this morning. I was tired from yesterday, but wanted to roll the arms over to loosen things out. Very happy with it though. A short warm up, then nearly 2km at 1:35 pace. No pain, no niggles, and after the first few hundred, no real tiredness from the last swim.

Lucky you, I only ran 11km this morning but the fatigue from Sundays swim is hanging around! Really flat this morning. I reckon I will be ok once I get out on delivery.

10sec per 100m?

Yep, fairly consistently about that much faster at all points through a swim (still slow down quite a lot towards the end). The session was combined with a renewed focus on spending time in the pool. So whether it was all due to technique or most likely a combination. But small changes to my hand positioning and core engagement (which leads to a much better position in the water) have made a huge difference to how I feel in the water.

Extra bonus was a couple of swim sets designed to work on my weaker points and building lat muscles.

8k swim in real pool in the rain

1 k PB

1k pB band and big paddles

40 x 100 with small paddles

1k PB

20x 50 with big paddles

I have to ask, why? You aiming for a big swim (eg rottnest/channel) or just training for IM. If the latter, why such a big set? Genuinely interested, not trolling...

I have to ask, why? You aiming for a big swim (eg rottnest/channel) or just training for IM. If the latter, why such a big set? Genuinely interested, not trolling...

Not IM. UM.

• Like 1

That's not a big set

120 x 100 is a big set

• Like 1

Yesterday arvo swam 855m open water. That means I should at least survive the sprint distance :lol: was at 1.38 pace according to Garmin

This morning was hot, humid, windy and wet, got in 40k on the bike before work.

• Like 2

Managed my first 1 k swim in 4 months (post accident) on Sat last PW of 23 mins (20x50m with rests needed!)

Sunday I jog / walked 10kms. Another PW of 70 mins but it was hilly and hot and I walked lots !

Also. I've had 3 days no booze.

Still in some pain and have restricted upper body movement, but may have turned the corner mentally. I hope ! :)

Not been on the bike. No desire yet.

• Like 2

8k swim in real pool in the rain

1 k PB

1k pB band and big paddles

40 x 100 with small paddles

1k PB

20x 50 with big paddles

Real Pool !!

How did it feel ??

Did you remember to stay on the left and tumble turn? :)