Rotto swim canned - shark...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alcatraz?

Bahaha  i heard he was actually swimming back at the time. 

Mark what are your thoughts in the current Australian cricket captain? 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Rocket Salad said:

This thread if fast turning into one of the best on here. Shelly is just as bad as him in many respects. She condones his behavior. #Crazy stuff.

"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept"

About time Shelley learnt this before her own legacy starts to get questioned

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Rocket Salad said:

This thread if fast turning into one of the best on here. Shelly is just as bad as him in many respects. She condones his behavior. #Crazy stuff.

I think this is a bit harsh.  She doesn't condone it or ignore it from what I see, she truly believes he is innocent.

Guest FFF1077

The guy apparently has issues, according to the hints I'm getting from STS. 

As caring people who are members of a Forum which has a long running MH thread, shouldn't we be backing away from the shaming and man hunt type of stuff that I've read and just locking this thread. 

Just because you hate a cheater doesn't mean you can attack them. Yes you can have an opinion, but when someone hints that the guy has problems/is struggling shouldn't you show compassion and maturity? 

I find it pretty disappointing from some of the contributors. 

Hope everyone is well. 

Cheers 

2 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

The guy apparently has issues, according to the hints I'm getting from STS. 

As caring people who are members of a Forum which has a long running MH thread, shouldn't we be backing away from the shaming and man hunt type of stuff that I've read and just locking this thread. 

Just because you hate a cheater doesn't mean you can attack them. Yes you can have an opinion, but when someone hints that the guy has problems/is struggling shouldn't you show compassion and maturity? 

I find it pretty disappointing from some of the contributors. 

Hope everyone is well. 

Cheers 

I'm not sure. If you look at Julie Miller, she screwed people out of the chance to go to the World Champs, she denied the rightful winners of Ironman races and world champs their chance to enjoy the winners podium and she went after people that suggested she had cheated. She fully deserved all the criticism she got and the high profile article in the New York Times was entirely justified. I know a lot of people with various mental illnesses, you can be mentally ill with some form of personality disorder and still be a good person and be incapable of screwing people over. Robson is obviously a sick man and perhaps  people should show more compassion, I don't know. I tend to think he's a sick man who is also a complete C***. I've contacted STS and have spoken to a couple of journalists about him, as far as I'm concerned that's it. If he continues to compete and cheat, I'm not really going to get involved. 

Regarding STS, I think her heart is in the right place, she's sticking up for one of her squad members, which is admirable. I'm not sure if it's Robson's ability to pull the wool over her eyes or if she's incredibly naive, but she is very misguided. I think the more adverse publicity he gets, the more she's going to support him and claim he's the victim. He really needs a good mate to look him in the eye and tell him to get his shit together, go and see a therapist, get some help. Enabling or encouraging him to compete is the wrong thing to do and is clearly not in this man's best interests. 

Edited by zed

FFF, Just before you go all bleeding heart read this.

Shelley makes reference to standing up for people with no voice.....and that's what I suspect you've grabbed and no think Robson cant speak for himself.

Well he can and he has.

There is nothing wrong with him he is just a pathological liar,in his job, in his life and in sport.

Ive sat in front of this guy and questioned him and has plenty to say.....all of it Bullshit.

They are the facts.

• Thanks 1

Being mentally ill doesn't give you carte blanche to treat people how you want. Look at Belle Gibson, clearly mentally ill, does she deserve compassion when she has ruined so many lives? Not comparing her to Robson, just food for though. 

note - I get what you're saying Sam btw :)

Guest FFF1077
25 minutes ago, zed said:

I'm not sure. If you look at Julie Miller, she screwed people out of the chance to go to the World Champs, she denied the rightful winners of Ironman races and world champs their chance to enjoy the winners podium and she went after people that suggested she had cheated. She fully deserved all the criticism she got and the high profile article in the New York Times was entirely justified. I know a lot of people with various mental illnesses, you can be mentally ill with some form of personality disorder and still be a good person and be incapable of screwing people over. Robson is obviously a sick man and perhaps  people should show more compassion, I don't know. I tend to think he's a sick man who is also a complete C***. I've contacted STS and have spoken to a couple of journalists about him, as far as I'm concerned that's it. If he continues to compete and cheat, I'm not really going to get involved. 

Regarding STS, I think her heart is in the right place, she's sticking up for one of her squad members, which is admirable. I'm not sure if it's Robson's ability to pull the wool over her eyes or if she's incredibly naive, but she is very misguided. I think the more adverse publicity he gets, the more she's going to support him and claim he's the victim. He really needs a good mate to look him in the eye and tell him to get his shit together, go and see a therapist, get some help. Enabling or encouraging him to compete is the wrong thing to do and is clearly not in this man's best interests. 

Well put across. 

8 hours ago, Stikman said:

I think this is a bit harsh.  She doesn't condone it or ignore it from what I see, she truly believes he is innocent.

So she does cognitive dissonance on an industrial scale. I reckon she could get a job working in the Trump Whitehouse then.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

This Robson guy definitely needs to be named and shamed. He made his bed and now he gets to sleep in it.

And in the words of Samuel L Jackson.

• 2 weeks later...

So the person who was going to tow him with their boat has pulled out on him last minute, and he needs a replacement?

And today the Rottnest Port to Pub was cancelled due to rough weather. 

I know 2 swimmers that have now traveled from Brisbane to Perth twice to do these 2 swims only to come away with being pulled from the water due to a "possible" shark sighting (these are the words of a few I've spoken, to and their opinion of the original claim from the guy seeing the shark) and now to have their swim cancelled due to weather. 

As RDs become more risk averse, are we going to see the end of these types of races?

• Like 1

When people trip on a footpath and sue the council, or Macca's because their coffee is too hot, this is what you get.  They have to take the ultra cautious route.

Add to that the two cancelled swims in Qld.  And wasn't the busso swim cancelled late last year?  That's 5 swims at events cancelled or interrupted!

17 minutes ago, goughy said:

Add to that the two cancelled swims in Qld.  And wasn't the busso swim cancelled late last year?  That's 5 swims at events cancelled or interrupted!

It's one thing cancelling the swim in a Triathlon, but when they cancel the swim in a swim event, it means a wasted flight, and in most cases, a few thousand dollars for the hire of a boat & skipper.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And today the Rottnest Port to Pub was cancelled due to rough weather. 

I know 2 swimmers that have now traveled from Brisbane to Perth twice to do these 2 swims only to come away with being pulled from the water due to a "possible" shark sighting (these are the words of a few I've spoken, to and their opinion of the original claim from the guy seeing the shark) and now to have their swim cancelled due to weather. 

As RDs become more risk averse, are we going to see the end of these types of races?

Although I agree with you, I've had 4 races in 12 months with swims cancelled, 3 sharks, 1 weather, they probably got the call right on this one. You could tell tues/wed that there was a good chance the swim would be cancelled. Conditions were shit. Decent swell and strong onshore winds. 2.5 or 5km swim, then yeah maybe, but not a 25km swim when you've got kayakers, boats etc to consider. 

It's been a shit 12 months for OWS/triathlon in WA, but in a way it's a good thing. it's been the catalyst for RD and others to stand up and realise they need a plan B as well as understanding there is going to be a backlash when they cancel a swim especially for big events like IM. They f**cked up last year with the IMWA swim cancellation, didn't handle it well, but at least they're aware of that now.

Edited by zed
1 hour ago, goughy said:

When people trip on a footpath and sue the council, or Macca's because their coffee is too hot, this is what you get.  They have to take the ultra cautious route.

Why do people keep citing the Maccas case like it was something trivial?

13 hours ago, FatPom said:

Why do people keep citing the Maccas case like it was something trivial?

Agreed it was not trivial. What was important in this case was that there had been over 700 complaints about the coffee being too hot and Macca's had done nothing to rectify the problem.

5 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Agreed it was not trivial. What was important in this case was that there had been over 700 complaints about the coffee being too hot and Macca's had done nothing to rectify the problem.

I don't know what you're referring to but, isn't the point of hot coffee ( or tea ) to be hot? If not, order iced coffee.

I hate getting coffee that is luke warm and can be finished in 2 minutes!

As for the cancellations of races due to duty of care and due diligence, it's a sign of the soft and litigious times we now live in. Yes, athlete safety is important, but we should also have some input before things are canned. We already sign a waiver before competing to say it's all our fault and accept the outcomes, so why not add a few more lines. 

I'm sure someone will develop and App and you can race from the comfort of your lounge.

6 minutes ago, softy said:

I don't know what you're referring to but, isn't the point of hot coffee ( or tea ) to be hot? If not, order iced coffee.

I hate getting coffee that is luke warm and can be finished in 2 minutes!

Sorry I worded that badly. There were 700 reports of Macca coffee burning people and they did nothing about it.

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Sorry I worded that badly. There were 700 reports of Macca coffee burning people and they did nothing about it.

I'm sure there are more than 7000 reports of clothes irons burning people, yet I haven't seen any of them come out with the safety feature of not getting hotter than 50 degrees?

I don't drink coffee, so not sure about what coffee drinkers like, but if I get a cup of tea that's tepid enough to drink straight away, I'll ask for a hot one.

• Like 1

The woman who sued Maccas just wanted help with her extensive medical bills. Multiple skin grafts + 2 years of treatment, no warning sign on the coffee cup. I know coffee is hot and not a good idea to spill it on yourself, but I wouldn't have thought a spillage would require skin grafts... How many times has one of those flimsy lids not been secure and popped off? Anyway judge awarded her a few million because Maccas were complete cvnts about it. Fair enough. 

Edited by zed
14 minutes ago, zed said:

The woman who sued Maccas just wanted help with her extensive medical bills. Multiple skin grafts + 2 years of treatment, no warning sign on the coffee cup. I know coffee is hot and not a good idea to spill it on yourself, but I wouldn't have thought a spillage would require skin grafts... How many times has one of those flimsy lids not been secure and popped off? Anyway judge awarded her a few million because Maccas were complete cvnts about it. Fair enough. 

Exactly, this is what is missed. IIRC correctly it was third degree burns.  There an expression  the 'Stella Liebeck awards' that gets applied when folks cite stiff like this. I'll look it up later.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

There's some strange people on this forum

I don't drink coffee either (and can't stand the smell of it)....... so far I'm only helping prove your point correct!

28 minutes ago, zed said:

I have almond milk with my coffee.

I suppose it's decaf as well?

2 hours ago, goughy said:

I don't drink coffee either (and can't stand the smell of it)

That's me too. Hate the smell.

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm sure there are more than 7000 reports of clothes irons burning people, yet I haven't seen any of them come out with the safety feature of not getting hotter than 50 degrees?

I don't drink coffee, so not sure about what coffee drinkers like, but if I get a cup of tea that's tepid enough to drink straight away, I'll ask for a hot one.

But if you were an iron manufacturer with 700 reports of your irons burning people would you do nothing? Would you redesign the handle, add a guard, put a warning label on it, highlight the danger in the manual.

Macdonalds could have made a more secure lid, a stronger cup, put "danger hot" on the lid, used the lower temperature like most other coffee shops, etc. They did nothing.

I work in the mining industry if I had 700 reports of people being injured in exactly the same way, no matter how minor, I would be looking for a new job.

58 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

But if you were an iron manufacturer with 700 reports of your irons burning people would you do nothing? Would you redesign the handle, add a guard, put a warning label on it, highlight the danger in the manual.

Macdonalds could have made a more secure lid, a stronger cup, put "danger hot" on the lid, used the lower temperature like most other coffee shops, etc. They did nothing.

I work in the mining industry if I had 700 reports of people being injured in exactly the same way, no matter how minor, I would be looking for a new job.

Next time I buy a car I expect it to be cover with warnings like:

Wheels rotate.

Car capable of hitting people

Car capable of going faster than walking pace.

Turning volume up on stereo could make you deaf.

If you slam door/boot with hand in the way you could hurt said hand/fingers

............where does it end. How about a bit of personal responsibility.

With the McDonalds case or one of the many....I recall it still being the fault of the user, despite the court outcome.

• Like 1

Glad somebody else pointed out the Macdonalds coffee story was serious. There are plenty of cases of ludicrous payouts (I'm currently dealing with one with the events company I own in the UK where some chump tripped because he was carrying more than he had been told to, cut his leg told nobody about it until the end of the day and is now suing us) but the maccas coffee one was not one of those IMO but I didn't know that until I actually read up on it, it's far more than "Coffee is hot duh".

18 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Next time I buy a car I expect it to be cover with warnings like:

Wheels rotate.

Car capable of hitting people

Car capable of going faster than walking pace.

Turning volume up on stereo could make you deaf.

If you slam door/boot with hand in the way you could hurt said hand/fingers

............where does it end. How about a bit of personal responsibility.

With the McDonalds case or one of the many....I recall it still being the fault of the user, despite the court outcome.

I agree with you re personal responsibility. I don't think there needed to be a warning label on the Maccas coffee, more a case of they were negligent in making it too hot and/or not providing it in a secure cup. Coffee gets spilt all the time, one of those things, but it shouldn't result in multiple skin grafts and 2 years in and out of hospital. 

• Like 1

And as for the Port to Pub swim I knew a few friends in different teams and the consensus was pretty much "Yay!" when it was cancelled.

Another friend swam the 25km solo last year in 8:14:04 (@19:45 per km pace).

This year when she was pulled out after 3hrs:40min she had done 8.5km (@25:53 per km pace) which would translate to a finish time of 10:47:04 at that same pace, i.e. about 30% slower than the year before! I think she was disappointed and happy at the same time! ;):)