[[Template core/front/global/favico is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content

Rotto swim canned - shark...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alcatraz?

Bahaha  i heard he was actually swimming back at the time. 

Mark what are your thoughts in the current Australian cricket captain? 

Posted Images

This would be insanely disappointing for those swimmers involved. Apparently the shark was sited at the 12km mark while the race was underway. They pulled out all swimmers within 1km and that was their day over. All others were allowed to continue.

This from their website.

SWIM UPDATE:
We have had a confirmed shark sighting at the 12km mark. All swimmers within a 1km radius were evacuated from the water. Unfortunately for those swimmers today's Rottnest Channel Swim attempt has come to an end. All affected boats with swimmers on board should make their way to Rottnest or the mainland returning your timing bands to the help desk or Channel Swim Base as per your skipper protocols. With no further sighting swimmers unaffected by the evacuation are able to continue their attempt. Channel Swim Base in conjunction with on water officials and Surf Life Saving continue to monitor the swim course.

I remember diving in the Australian Spearfishing Champs at The Stragglers Reef in 1981...plenty of spooky times being pulled by the current between Rotto and the mainland while surrounded by schools of pelagic and bait fish. At least we had spear guns to make us feel safer. After all, it's the one you don't see, that going to get you.

44 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is the start f the end of water events in Western Australia. 

Such a shame. 

Ranga Mel was racing today. She will be gutted. 

Pretty much until they come up with a better strategy.

Is there something macho or australian about facing of carnivourous fish. Should the pull surfers out the water just because they see a shark.

From an event directors point of view what do you do. You know it is there you are duty bound to act

On FB somebody was mighty unhappy about it and the organisers explained that their protocol was to assess the size, species and behavior of the shark then pull people out within 1 km if deemed necessary. So it doesn't sound like their default position is to pull people out.

23 minutes ago, A2K said:

On FB somebody was mighty unhappy about it and the organisers explained that their protocol was to assess the size, species and behavior of the shark then pull people out within 1 km if deemed necessary. So it doesn't sound like their default position is to pull people out.

Yup sounds like they got this one right. 4m GW, pulled out only swimmers in a 1km radius and allowed the rest to finish.

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Is there something macho or australian about facing of carnivourous fish. Should the pull surfers out the water just because they see a shark.

From an event directors point of view what do you do. You know it is there you are duty bound to act

Sounds like the RD was on point. Assessed size, species of shark, monitored it and then proceeded with race when it ****ed off.

Unconfirmed reports that a lot of people that got pulled simply drove past the 3km exclusion zone and hopped back into the water. So possibly some DQs to come? Not sure what kind of timing chips they have though and if it would report the whacko timings. I don’t think they were cheating just wanting to finish, but results have been affected, swimmers/teams finishing top 3 when they only swam 2/3 of the 20km

Edited by zed

Somewhere between MoP & BoP. I think for those people the best answer should have been to pull them out until the risk had gone, then drop them in again. They let the BoPers swim through the area.

One of the girls that swims with us at the dam got pulled. She's not that happy at the moment.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
21 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

I think their should be no responsibility on the race director in that situation if they want to continue let them if it is sighted yep let everyone know etc shoot a flare whatever. But let the athlete decide if he gets chomped well shit happens!

This is demented. see shark, stuff it I'm going to continue, who really does that. What would you do if someone said there is man eating shark 800 metres away, jump in the boat. Nup stuff it triathlon is meant to be hard I'm going out swim that shark. These things are not jabber jaw

Edited by BarryBevan

Mate I’ve surf my whole life and grown up in the ocean.

ive seen sharks close and far away   

I judged each situation accordingly. The closest one ever to me was probably 20m 25 tops it was swimming away from me I kept surfing.Didnt bother me (and it was big)

i have also seen small ones heading in my direction on cloudy overcast fish smelly days .. I got the f$&k outa there!

I’m not going to sue the council Because there wasn’t a sign I know the risk I take it ,my problem.

All I’m saying is put it to the athlete   

Whilst I hate the way it's becoming, the race director can't sign away their responsibilities like that. If some-one got bitten, as unlikely as that may be, and that person sued, I would imagine the RD wouldn't have a leg to stand on (kind of like the athlete)if it went to court. There is probably something in the insurance cover about responsibilities of the RD in case of shark siting as well.

• Like 1

Probably right with the legal stuff , my opinion though is if he does everything right water safety etc and each race /distance has a different situation  if people race on after and they know the risk well don’t sue the RD 

EG if the siren goes off get everyone out etc assesses the problem give it a time frame if you want to continue do so at your own risk chances are slim to sweet f$(k all that you would get chomped.

shit on the highway up from our place 8 people have died in 8 weeks from car crashes ! 

I’m safer in the water😂

5 hours ago, zed said:

Unfortunately our old buddy Mark Robson got pulled from the water... gutted.

2 hours ago, zed said:

Probably the back of mop. BOPers got to finish.

How could he possibly have been caught up then?  He must have been towing his support boat I guess, considering what a gun swimmer he is.

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

This is demented. see shark, stuff it I'm going to continue, who really does that. What would you do if someone said there is man eating shark 800 metres away, jump in the boat. Nup stuff it triathlon is meant to be hard I'm going out swim that shark. These things are not jabber jaw

Surfers stay in the water all the time. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, zed said:

Unfortunately our old buddy Mark Robson got pulled from the water... gutted.

6 hours ago, Peter said:

Bahaha 

i heard he was actually swimming back at the time. 

I heard he jumped into the boat first, then suddenly started yelling "shark, shark"!

4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Guesstimated population of Great Whites off the coast of WA is 10'000, at an average of 1 death every 2 years I would say it's obvious they gave virtually no interest in humans as a source of food. From a risk perspective, the chances of getting eaten are incredibly low. We are obsessed with risk analysis, but when it comes to sharks that all goes out the window and we use the movie JAWS as a guideline....

I agree, If a large GW rocks up close to swimmers, yeah we need to do something, but a swim cancellation isn't necessarily the only option. 

Lost count of how many times I said it, but I'm big on repeating myself.... if you've swum in the ocean you've swum with a shark.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, zed said:

Guesstimated population of Great Whites off the coast of WA is 10'000,

Zed, you mentioned that number in the Busso swim thread. Where do you get that stat from?

CSIRO recently estimated 1460 adult GW from Exmouth to Wilson's Prom in Vic. That was based on some solid science. Although they didn't have estimates of total population numbers, they did state that the size of the adult population has not increased since the species was afforded protection about a decade or so ago.

So if there is over 9000 sub-adult GW hanging off WA, that's appears an awfully low recruitment rate to the adult population. Sure they are a species which takes a long time to mature, so it is expected that recruitment to the adult population would be slow, but it is concerning when as a population, an endangered species with a vulnerable reproductive pattern (slow to mature, low reproductive rate) is not responding to conservation measures.

13 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Zed, you mentioned that number in the Busso swim thread. Where do you get that stat from?

CSIRO recently estimated 1460 adult GW from Exmouth to Wilson's Prom in Vic. That was based on some solid science. Although they didn't have estimates of total population numbers, they did state that the size of the adult population has not increased since the species was afforded protection about a decade or so ago.

So if there is over 9000 sub-adult GW hanging off WA, that's appears an awfully low recruitment rate to the adult population. Sure they are a species which takes a long time to mature, so it is expected that recruitment to the adult population would be slow, but it is concerning when as a population, an endangered species with a vulnerable reproductive pattern (slow to mature, low reproductive rate) is not responding to conservation measures.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/sharks/experts-suggest-10000-great-whites-off-wa-ng-b88744136z

I think these are just rough guesstimates based on the number of breeding adults - 1500. 

And not that you could use anecdotal evidence as cold hard data, but mates that fish and spearfish are encountering GWs on a semi-regular basis, whereas back in the 90s, there were none to be seen, you could 3 or 4 years and not see one, now they're seeing them a few times a month. 

I've seen a few articles quoting the CSIRO study, and saying they predict there are 7 times as many juveniles as adults. Yet to have seen an actual reference to that figure from a study though. Considering a female doesn't give birth till they are older than 30 though, and males just a bit younger (and that's what the CSIRO was counting), and they were only protected 20 years ago, you would expect a slow increase at very best, and a high number of juveniles per adult.

Thanks, Zed.

It's certainly interesting, Ex, given GW's reproductive biology they're not going to bounce back the same way crocs did several decades after hunting was prohibited. Both long lived animals, (one GW has been recorded at 76 years of age), but GW have a long gestation period, relatively small litter and females don't breed every year.

22 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Thanks, Zed.

It's certainly interesting, Ex, given GW's reproductive biology they're not going to bounce back the same way crocs did several decades after hunting was prohibited. Both long lived animals, (one GW has been recorded at 76 years of age), but GW have a long gestation period, relatively small litter and females don't breed every year.

Yeah I went to school in Darwin back when crocs could be hunted legally, last year they pulled out over 350 crocs from Darwin harbour (from traps). We used to swim, wakeboard, windsurf etc there.... their population has ballooned. 

27 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Thanks, Zed.

I think it'll be a very slow increase, if at all. Crocs breed a lot younger, every year, and lay heaps of eggs. A lot don't make it to adulthood, but there are just so many young. And they've been protected twice as long.

Most of the adults GWs live along the shelf, so, although they're protected here, there's nothing really stopping the long-line and shark fisherman outside of our waters.

The sandridge to Williamstown swim cancelled today. 

Apparently it was too windy. 

Everyone did their cash. 

I tell ya, entering early is pointless now. 

I used to be enter early so race directors had funds, but now I'm complete the other way. 

The local parkrun went ahead yesterday. 23 first time runners. Over 120 running. 

Free. 

15 hours ago, Peter said:

The sandridge to Williamstown swim cancelled today. 

Apparently it was too windy. 

Everyone did their cash. 

I tell ya, entering early is pointless now. 

I used to be enter early so race directors had funds, but now I'm complete the other way. 

The local parkrun went ahead yesterday. 23 first time runners. Over 120 running. 

Free. 

How bad was it?

On a positive note, I did the Sparke Helmore - Newcastle City Triathlon yesterday and the swim in the harbour went ahead for all 3 races :rolleyes: and I would be pretty sure a shark would have been in there somewhere

Cheers NSF

Edited by Notsofast
1 hour ago, zed said:

How bad was it?

It was flat at Willy. But bumpy at sandridge. 

Conditions would get better as you swam. 

But life savers said they couldn't rescue in it. 

I suppose it's what happens when the SLSA people are kids 16-18.  

On 2/24/2018 at 4:04 PM, Turts said:

So those at the 12k mark that got pulled..... mops or bops?

Depends - Soloists go off first, then Duo's, then teams by age groups.  So you may be a fast team who went off the beach 2hrs after the first wave of soloists (there are now 4 x waves of just soloists) but happen to be in that zone. Most of the Soloists were clear. My swim buddy was the one that swam over it and got out.  Apparently he was still pretty shaken hours later.  T