Anyone done IM Austria? Or, how soon have I forgotten saying I'd never do another...

So, despite 'never doing that again' after WS 70.3 the other day, my helpful husband says why not do a full...  He's nice like that.

I'm thinking Austria in 2020 (big birthday that year).  I felt pretty good after WS 70.3 so the training plan obviously worked and I know what I need to improve on.  I thought Austria for a few reasons.  Reputation, we can have a nice holiday afterwards, I like the idea of a lake swim (hey, no sharks...), flat run.  Er, hilly bike though!  I've got weedy legs but can build some strength.

Anyone done it?  Or any thoughts on going from 70.3 to full?

10 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Cairns 2019 is where all the cool kids are racing.  

I know this doesn't answer your question but I thought you should know.

I'll think about it...

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Hm. Maybe cos it is? 

okay I'll bite.

I say that because there are so many countires that do it.

Unlike a place like Port Mac that has 98% aussies and 2% others.

IMNZ has about 50% kiwis and then another 40 countries.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Peter said:

okay I'll bite.

I say that because there are so many countires that do it.

Unlike a place like Port Mac that has 98% aussies and 2% others.

IMNZ has about 50% kiwis and then another 40 countries.

Yep. Noticed that when I did it. Id recommend IMNZ as a first IM race as well. 

Edited by Greyman
7 hours ago, Sar said:

So, despite 'never doing that again' after WS 70.3 the other day, my helpful husband says why not do a full...  He's nice like that.

I'm thinking Austria in 2020 (big birthday that year).  I felt pretty good after WS 70.3 so the training plan obviously worked and I know what I need to improve on.  I thought Austria for a few reasons.  Reputation, we can have a nice holiday afterwards, I like the idea of a lake swim (hey, no sharks...), flat run.  Er, hilly bike though!  I've got weedy legs but can build some strength.

Not sure if it's the same location, but my mate did the 70.3 worlds in Austria 2 years ago and it was a tough old race. 37 degrees and some of the hills were so steep people were walking, pushing their bikes. Europe can get really hot in summer.  Obviously if you do the training and smash out 6 hour rides in the hills, going in totally prepped then yeah go for it, but you could be in for a long, miserable day at the office if not. Personally I'd opt for a flat and/or cool (temp) Ironman. There were a lot of broken people walking the course at Busso, must be a pretty demoralising experience. That said I am a bit of a wet blanket who hates, heat, hills, wind etc :)

Edited by zed
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Sar said:

Just be very aware, if cycling is your weakness, a European hilly course is nothing like an Aussie “hilly” course. 

• Like 2

Hi Sar. I guess you need to work out your priority, is it doing an Ironman or is it doing an Ironman and then having an awesome holiday in Europe after. If like me, it is the latter why dont you contemplate doing Roth in Germany. Not quite a beautiful as Austria but the hills are "hills" not mountains, no sharks in the canal and amazing support on course from thousands of drunk Germans. Its close to Munich airport so you can jet away to some fabulous spot after or you are on one of the main train lines in Europe. A couple of things to consider though is that it is ridiculously expensive to ship your bike home however you can leave it at Munich airport for a fee. It is also hard to get an entry unless you go with tri travel which we did. I thought they were great and they also take care of your spectators allowing them to join the drunken Germans.  Good luck deciding.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Sorry the 4th we can talk about after sar finishes 5th and vows to qualify the year after aka cranky.

You forgot the rules of “Kona club”

rule no.1 you ALWAYS talk about Kona club. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, zed said:

Not sure if it's the same location, but my mate did the 70.3 worlds in Austria 2 years ago and it was a tough old race. 37 degrees and some of the hills were so steep people were walking, pushing their bikes. Europe can get really hot in summer.  Obviously if you do the training and smash out 6 hour rides in the hills, going in totally prepped then yeah go for it, but you could be in for a long, miserable day at the office if not. Personally I'd opt for a flat and/or cool (temp) Ironman. There were a lot of broken people walking the course at Busso, must be a pretty demoralising experience. That said I am a bit of a wet blanket who hates, heat, hills, wind etc :)

Zell Am Zee was the deadset prettiest place like ever ..... but was the slowest half I have ever done. 

A fresh water lake swim that bests Lake Taupo easily, A ride that made grown men cry and if you didn't cry on the way up there were tears (and serious crashes - I saw several) on the way down - tell me which other event has 2 meter high padded mats on corners???. A pancake flat run around the lake which was like being in an oven on full bore.

Just lucky that this place was as picturesque as it was otherwise this race would have sucked big time - funny because its one of the fondest race memories and would recommend it to anyone (just don't go there looking for a PB, its a destination experience race)

• Like 1

I'd agree with Lesmack about the amazing 'holiday' races you can find in Europe... Roth was awesome and everything it's cracked up to be... but for me, Copenhagen IM just pipped it!

Fabulous city for a holiday before / after, with the race day logistics pretty easy and simple too. Course had a sheltered swim, scenic and interesting bike course and stunning 4 lap run through the city centre with something like 200,000 spectators. 

If I ever do another IM I reckon it would be Copenhagen again :-)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Peter said:

I agree do one close to home first.  Just to sort out all the "Issues"

I did my first full at Roth.

I wouldn't swap that for anything - even the parts where I was cold and a bit lost trying to find my better half after the race :D

But now, with better phone roaming, you'd be laughing.

I don't think you can go wrong with a scenic Euro race with a holiday tacked around it.

As long as you prepare for the actual hills/mountains etc.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, nuked said:

Zell Am Zee was the deadset prettiest place like ever ..... but was the slowest half I have ever done. 

A fresh water lake swim that bests Lake Taupo easily, A ride that made grown men cry and if you didn't cry on the way up there were tears (and serious crashes - I saw several) on the way down - tell me which other event has 2 meter high padded mats on corners???. A pancake flat run around the lake which was like being in an oven on full bore.

Just lucky that this place was as picturesque as it was otherwise this race would have sucked big time - funny because its one of the fondest race memories and would recommend it to anyone (just don't go there looking for a PB, its a destination experience race)

ha ha yeah that's the place. My mate went an hour slower than he did in Busso.

For my first race, I would pick a race with only one flight or plenty of access to loan bikes. A friend had her bike lost in transit to Kona for epic 5. You don't want that extra anxiety before your first race.

You want it to be easy and as stress free as possible. I would also want it to be in an English speaking country. Imagine trying to overcome a language barrier while asking questions about the race. 

Once you have done a couple, then head overseas and race. 

I have raced overseas 9 times and rate it higher than racing in Australia.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

And sar was never seen here again...

I still here!

Busy with work.  

Dunno then, Barcelona?  I'm a Pom so 2020 will be about time for a European trip which is also why I thought over there.  I can train for the hills and have read mainly positive accounts about Austria.  Got a while to think about it.

Edited by Sar
10 hours ago, willie said:

Challenge Roth. 

/End thread 

Lots of you guys have said Roth - so there's obviously a reason.  But I kinda want to hear the 'Sarah you're an Ironman'...  This will probably be a one time event (said that before...).

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Sar said:

Lots of you guys have said Roth - so there's obviously a reason.  But I kinda want to hear the 'Sarah you're an Ironman'...  This will probably be a one time event (said that before...).

No one that's commented on here has actually done IM Austria but they're recommending all these other races.  The 70.3 WC held at Zell am See is ~200k's away from where IM Austria held so not necessarily representative either.  Go with the race that appeals the most - Austria as a holiday destination I can comment on having been there lots of times in summer and winter and I think it's great.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, truck said:

No one that's commented on here has actually done IM Austria but they're recommending all these other races.  The 70.3 WC held at Zell am See is ~200k's away from where IM Austria held so not necessarily representative either.  Go with the race that appeals the most - Austria as a holiday destination I can comment on having been there lots of times in summer and winter and I think it's great.

Like your thinking!  I've read race reports about Austria and they are on the whole really positive.  As far as hills go, it's Ironman not Softman I read recently so they will all be tough and I can train for hills on the bike.  

As far as going nearer to home - which I completely understand - I could have gone to Busso and had the swim cancel, or Taupo and the same happen by the look of it, so things can go wrong wherever you go. 

It'll be a holiday too and so that aspect is important and initial thoughts are Austria, Croatia and Italy which will all be relatively easy from there.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:27 AM, Sar said:

Mate of mine did Austria a few years back, i remember him saying the bike course is fast because of the rolling course and high speed descents, he chickened out on the first lap and hit the brakes more often then he should, once he got used to the high speeds downhill, he was more comfortable on the 2nd lap. 

Ever considered a race in the USA instead?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Supamau said:

Mate of mine did Austria a few years back, i remember him saying the bike course is fast because of the rolling course and high speed descents, he chickened out on the first lap and hit the brakes more often then he should, once he got used to the high speeds downhill, he was more comfortable on the 2nd lap. 

Ever considered a race in the USA instead?

Hadn't really considered the US cos of the European holiday add on.  I know there are US holiday destinations available!

• 4 weeks later...

Port Mac.

Stuff the course. Here's what you really need. Trannies & The Voice of Ironman. The rest doesn't matter. My first was Port Mac and it's up there with my KQ race and Kona BECAUSE OF THE ATMOSPHERE. I met with the Trannies for a swim before, then breaky, we went through rego together and sat through the briefing, carbo night, roll down and got support on the course. IJ helped me set up my van and gave me a pre-race tour of the finish line.  It would've been just another race without them and the experience would've been nowhere near as addictive.

Leave the combo holiday for another race. You don't want to lose your IM virginity to just anywhere.

Edited by Cranky
6 hours ago, Cranky said:

Port Mac.

Stuff the course. Here's what you really need. Trannies & The Voice of Ironman. The rest doesn't matter. My first was Port Mac and it's up there with my KQ race and Kona BECAUSE OF THE ATMOSPHERE. I met with the Trannies for a swim before, then breaky, we went through rego together and sat through the briefing, carbo night, roll down and got support on the course. IJ helped me set up my van and gave me a pre-race tour of the finish line.  It would've been just another race without them and the experience would've been nowhere near as addictive.

Leave the combo holiday for another race. You don't want to lose your IM virginity to just anywhere.

The chance of Mike calling you across the line is 50/50 I raced 8 times in Aus & Mike never once called me across the line. I think the first time he called me across the line was in my 13 IM. 

I disagree with the holiday/combo race comment. Ironman Cozumel has an amazing atmosphere. Way better than any race in Aus. Stay in a host hotel & you will make life long mates.  

The holiday after the race is also a great way to say thank you to the family for all their support.  

• Like 2
On ‎2‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, Bored@work said:

The chance of Mike calling you across the line is 50/50 I raced 8 times in Aus & Mike never once called me across the line. I think the first time he called me across the line was in my 13 IM. 

There is a way to do get Mike to call you across the line. Waste 15 seconds in the chute by planting a big kiss on his forehead and then telling him your name. Then again, you could also do a "Coffs Pete" ...

FM

On 08/12/2017 at 8:42 AM, truck said:

I raced Ironman Austria in Klagenfurt in 2009 and rate it very highly. 

A fanstastic swim in a clean clear lake of around 21 degrees when I did it. The last 600m of the swim is in a canal with people all along it cheering you on. Training in the lake in the days before the race was just really enjoyable. 

The bike course is not flat and has two decent climbs in it on each lap but it has a lot of smooth fast road surface so I would rate it faster than Port Macquarie or Taupo. The scenery is beautiful if you get a chance to look around.

The run is two flat laps part of it along the side of the lake and part along the canal and up into the old town with lots of shade for most of it. There are lots of people in the old town at bars and cafe's in the town square so it has a good atmosphere.

The pre race carbo was great with a group of Austrian folk dancers in lederhosen performing the Schuhplattler.

The post race party was one of the best I've been to with an Australian rock band playing afterwards although I did end up drinking with a bunch of Germans and didn't get home until after 3 in the morning. 

There is heaps to do and see around the area and Vienna is only about a 3 hour drive away.

I would have no hesitation in going back to race there again but are planning on other different races. 

Cheers

POT