Race puncture repair

Hi, entered my 1st tri in 27 years today (Bribie 1-30-8). It seems things have changed a little since then. Apparently there's rules now, and I can't do the race in just Speedos anymore.

Anyway I was wondering what I should carry in case of a flat? Riding clinchers (GP4000s).

I have co2 cylinders and tubes but would something like Pitstop be a better option? And if so what brand?

Also any other tips would be useful as I've been out of it for so long. Haven't even attended a tri in 20+ years.

cheers

2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Thanks, I'll go the co2.

Really looking forward to the race now but I'm a little worried about doing something wrong and getting disqualified. So many rules, I'll be glad when the bike leg is over.

See ya there

On 24/11/2017 at 5:47 PM, truck said:

I'm sure someone somewhere has got pitstop to work in a race but I haven't seen it yet....

I used it yesterday for the first time, foam pissed out everywhere, not sure if I was doing it right, but it worked. Pretty sure it’s good for 90% of small punctures, but gashes etc no good.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

I carried a can of Pitstop for ages and didn't use it, then had to toss it while traveling.

Best results for me have been by always having "Slime" or similar in the tyre all the time. Even have the spare with some inside too but you have to make sure you maintain the spare - make sure it doesn't go hard, keep the valve extender clear etc.

On 26/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, AA7 said:

Did you get a puncture?

I had my spare tube, leavers. co2 cylinder and tap and was setting up my bike in the transition area when noticed most guys weren't carrying anything so I didn't worry about it. It's a bugger finding somewhere on my TT bike to store all that gear anyway. Won't all fit under the seat. I'll definitely need to work something out before Mooloolaba though.

Pretty happy with my race apart from a wrong turn in the ride which cost me a little time. 4th in my cat. 

How was your race AA7?

2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

I had my spare tube, leavers. co2 cylinder and tap and was setting up my bike in the transition area when noticed most guys weren't carrying anything so I didn't worry about it. It's a bugger finding somewhere on my TT bike to store all that gear anyway. Won't all fit under the seat. I'll definitely need to work something out before Mooloolaba though.

Pretty happy with my race apart from a wrong turn in the ride which cost me a little time. 4th in my cat. 

How was your race AA7?

How do you take a wrong turn at bribie ?  

On 28/11/2017 at 7:57 PM, Cat Lady said:

How do you take a wrong turn at bribie ?  

They had marshals on every corner pointing which way to go (which was great). Well I was riding along approaching an intersection on my 1st lap when a fluro vested marshal positioned at the intersection pointed down a side street. I turned and was powering off when I heard him yell out wrong turn so I slowed enough to do a u -turn and headed back. As I passed him he apologised and said he was just pointing something out to a spectator. It prob only cost me 30 secs but it pissed me off at the time.