The Hollywood Abuse Scandals

We haven't even discussed this yet!  Just how big is this finds end up being?  Weinstein's career was really on the wind down when this all came out, but how big will the avalanche be?  You'd have to think Spacey is done and dusted (his 80mil will have to comfort him) and his brother didn't have the nicest of things to say about him.

I mean, this clearly wasn't all hidden and I'm sure most of us would have expected a lot of this stuff went on, not that that makes it right. But it was obviously out there, as shown by some of Seth MacFarlane's comments over the years. Now Gal Gadot says she won't do another WW movie till Ratner is totally removed from all involvement. The Corry Feldman claims. Just how far and how big will this be? 

Now the treatment of Jelena Dokic at the hands of her father (no shock there either) has come out. Has the fact some people are standing up and saying enough finally emboldening other people to speak up about what they've suffered?

Will this change anything, and how will Hollywood change with all this?

some people will always put self interest first, nothing you can do about that.  

dokic's one is farked up in she says her back was a mess and yet nobody ever said anything in all the years she was in the womens change rooms.   not saying the rest are not bad, just even when really really obvious with visual evidence that doesnt go away/ dissappear  after the fact people still say nothing 

• Like 1

Im worried it will end up with innocent people losing their careers and reputations by some attention seeking twat making false accusations. 

Its inevitable really, amongst the terrible truths. Trial my accusation and media. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Peter said:

He will never work again. 

Mind you he won't need too. 

Think they said the same thing about Robert Downey Junior, Mel Gibson, Winona Ryder, Britney Spears etc, etc, etc at one time or another

Hollywood has always been and will continue to be about who brings in the biggest box offices.  Spacey will find some small independent thing to do, will get great reviews and all will be forgotten

3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Think they said the same thing about Robert Downey Junior, Mel Gibson, Winona Ryder, Britney Spears etc, etc, etc at one time or another

Hollywood has always been and will continue to be about who brings in the biggest box offices.  Spacey will find some small independent thing to do, will get great reviews and all will be forgotten

This is a different era and time. 

You could kill someone. Serve 8 years and come back to acting but not sexual abuse someone at the moment. 

RDJ was a druggo. MG racist. Wino a theif. But in the end the people they hurt the most was themselves!  These abuse claims are completely different and it seems that these scum affected the lives of many people, probably many many more than we've heard about. These are very powerful people who clearly like to show just how powerful they are! And remember, these sorts of assaults are as much or more so about power and dominance then sex.

Frack 'em all

I will never understand how all of these people suddenly come out of the woodwork to grandstand about how it has been going on forever and now is the time to do something about it.  Not the victims who start telling their stories because they now know they aren't alone but the ones who heard stories and rumours for years from multiple sources but did nothing.  Sometimes fairly powerful people in their own right too.  No better than those religious leaders who shut their mouths about child abuse.

• Like 3

He'd be feeling no different (cept maybe because the focus is off of him).... self absorbed narcissists who couldn't give a shit about anyone else.

5 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

I am okay being sexually harassed by Britney, hell, i would even pay her to harass me, just saying....

It'll all blow over .... where have I heard that before???

In all seriousness, I think that this is the thin end of the wedge as far as sexual harassment is concerned. Now that the floodgates have been opened it will all come out. There is also a classic video doing the rounds at the moment about Michelle Obama thanking Harvey W for what a magnificent person he was and Whoopi Goldberg also applauding this. They must have known as it was fairly common knowledge, but they were all pissing in each others' pockets and needed his deep pockets! The level of inter-dependency and who covered for who is also alarming! 

There will be bands who are also probably starting to look a bit nervous about some of their previous behaviour.... people thought Jimmy Savile was a saint as well!

21 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

A lot different in my eyes. Robert Downey, Mel Gibson, Winona & Britney all cracked under the pressure of Hollywood.  Their mental health suffered & they went on benders to escape.  Everyone one of them abused substances & did stupid shit over a relatively short period of time. At the end of the day they hurt themselves & their reputations. 

Weinstein, Spacey etc used their position of power to abuse people, humiliate and violate other people. Over a long & sustained period of time. If they were truly sorry for their actions they would have seeked help along time ago.  Not this, I have been busted, I'm going to rehab, fkn bullshit. 

They are predators, pigs & assholes.  Not sure how else their behaviour can be described.  

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

They are predators, pigs & assholes.  Not sure how else their behaviour can be described.  

Seems to be usual for them to say they have a disease, are seeking help and ask for forgiveness and understanding, possibly even say it was due to substance abuse or because their Mum stopped wiping their bum for them at 7 yrs old.  Hell, Oprah might even give them prime time coverage to tell their story with a mass supply of kleenex on hand ala Lance.  It usually is a catch all for all sins

Speaking of Lance, there is another example of someone abusing their position, but no longer the no 1 asshole in the world.  I know Trump is probably seen in that role, but I doubt Lance even rates in the top 100 for most people

On 11/13/2017 at 1:15 PM, Peter said:

This is a different era and time. 

You could kill someone. Serve 8 years and come back to acting but not sexual abuse someone at the moment. 

Exhibit A:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrities-gone-bad/bryan-cranston-believes-harvey-weinstein-and-kevin-spacey-may-deserve-a-second-chance/news-story/91248dbbe77ffa2ff5fbee2d333fb29f

• 2 weeks later...

When the ex ch9 boss says, “He’s a horrible, horrible, horrible man. He’s a dreadful, dreadful piece of work … he was a really dirty old man.”  And this guys predecessor described his as a "grub" and a "disgrace".....

Supposedly 50+ complainants with 3 executives lending credence to them.  And it was all hushed up by 9.

41 minutes ago, goughy said:

When the ex ch9 boss says, “He’s a horrible, horrible, horrible man. He’s a dreadful, dreadful piece of work … he was a really dirty old man.”  And this guys predecessor described his as a "grub" and a "disgrace".....

Supposedly 50+ complainants with 3 executives lending credence to them. 

But they still kept people like this on their payroll. Pack of hypocrites to come out with those comments now.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But they still kept people like this on their payroll. Pack of hypocrites to come out with those comments now.

Cowards and people with zero moral compass.  There should be a way to charge them for aiding and abetting.

I was a bit skeptical about Don Burke being guilty, until Suzie  Oneil has come out. What a thing to say. If he said that to a girl in front of me, let alone my girlfriend, I would have belted him. 

I do hope the cash cow is innocent. 

• Like 1

Those people who kept it quiet (victims witnesses and those in the know) by this point have questions to answer as well. Those senior execs are just as guilty as the perpetrator for all instances that occurred AFTER they first became aware.

And yes, the victims. They kept quiet while they had something to gain. Now they are jumping on the #metoo attention bandwagon. 

If they had acted, how many instances could have been prevented? Disgraceful. 

I wasnt judging Burke as guilty, but i didnt like that he said "i have aspergers, and other genetic failings" as an excuse for his behaviour. Not on. 

Being unable to read people doesnt justify being so overtly inappropriate. 

The problem is that these guys played on their power, fame and fortune.

And while the power and fame may die with these claims, they keep the fortune. 

There needs to be a way, like with the proceeds of crime laws, where they can take away their fortunes gained at the expense of others. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Prince said:

I was a bit skeptical about Don Burke being guilty, until Suzie  Oneil has come out. What a thing to say. If he said that to a girl in front of me, let alone my girlfriend, I would have belted him. 

I wouldn't say I was skeptical, cause as he has said, that many people can't be wrong!

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/don-burke-accused-of-making-appalling-insult-to-olympian-susie-oneill/news-story/0b92d520f10ae992a64f45ed95e6af0f

But I can't possibly fathom that he said that to any woman, let alone while interviewing a star athlete in her own house!  I don't care who anyone is/was, but say that to my wife in my house and you'll be on your arse on the footpath as quick as!  I won't lie, I'm a bit of a prude and I absolutely hate that word, but accept that it's in regular rotation by many of my mates.  But none of them would even think of saying something like that to a woman.

Like it or not, but the simple fact is that really we aren't that far removed from the '50's yet.  50 or 60 years may seem like a long time, but in reality it ain't and a lot of the people who are getting caught out now grew up in those times or in families from those times.  Neither my father nor my wife's father cooked a dinner that didn't involve a bbq.  They didn't do the housework inside.  They didn't do the shopping.  Hell, when we get together with some of my best mates from about school days (a few times a year) the group still splits into guys over here, girls over there!  It drives me and my wife nuts, and I'll often go hang out with the girls cause I get a better discussion there (at least it's not all about cricket/league/union).   It's still gonna be a few generations till those attitudes really disappear.  I'm not saying it's right, or excusing any of the behaviour.  But all of a sudden we are gonna see a change rather than more progressively over time.  Fewer women will put up with this stuff and I think it's a good thing.  But there will be people who will be resistant and so it'll still take time.

And apparently the aspergers community ain't too happy with him, claiming he has it and other genetic problems but has had no actual diagnosis.  Self diagnosis is the big thing these days; I would see it on the adhd forums all the time - people who've never been to a doc about it but say I have this and that.  I'm not sure if it's even Dr Google and work there, but Dr Excuse. 

5 hours ago, goughy said:

And apparently the aspergers community ain't too happy with him, claiming he has it and other genetic problems but has had no actual diagnosis.  Self diagnosis is the big thing these days; I would see it on the adhd forums all the time - people who've never been to a doc about it but say I have this and that.  I'm not sure if it's even Dr Google and work there, but Dr Excuse. 

delete.jpg

10 hours ago, goughy said:

I wouldn't say I was skeptical, cause as he has said, that many people can't be wrong!

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/don-burke-accused-of-making-appalling-insult-to-olympian-susie-oneill/news-story/0b92d520f10ae992a64f45ed95e6af0f

But I can't possibly fathom that he said that to any woman, let alone while interviewing a star athlete in her own house!  I don't care who anyone is/was, but say that to my wife in my house and you'll be on your arse on the footpath as quick as!  I won't lie, I'm a bit of a prude and I absolutely hate that word, but accept that it's in regular rotation by many of my mates.  But none of them would even think of saying something like that to a woman.

Like it or not, but the simple fact is that really we aren't that far removed from the '50's yet.  50 or 60 years may seem like a long time, but in reality it ain't and a lot of the people who are getting caught out now grew up in those times or in families from those times.  Neither my father nor my wife's father cooked a dinner that didn't involve a bbq.  They didn't do the housework inside.  They didn't do the shopping.  Hell, when we get together with some of my best mates from about school days (a few times a year) the group still splits into guys over here, girls over there!  It drives me and my wife nuts, and I'll often go hang out with the girls cause I get a better discussion there (at least it's not all about cricket/league/union).   It's still gonna be a few generations till those attitudes really disappear.  I'm not saying it's right, or excusing any of the behaviour.  But all of a sudden we are gonna see a change rather than more progressively over time.  Fewer women will put up with this stuff and I think it's a good thing.  But there will be people who will be resistant and so it'll still take time.

There are too many corroborating stories for his behaviour NOT to have happened. It has sickened me reading it. I employ 10 females, I am married with 2 teenage daughters and it really worries me that my girls will experience anything like this sort of behaviour. I am super careful to analyse my behaviour, language and tone at work, at the expense of not being overly matey, interacting after work etc with my staff because of stuff like this.

While it is disgraceful that he has pulled the autism spectrum into this as a pathetic excuse, I was saying to my wife that he must have some sort of psych diagnosis to not care how he makes women feel with this sort of behaviour and language. Just not normal.

re the 50's and 60's, while chauvinism and domestic violence were looked on differently, on the other hand there were a large proportion of men who would not swear in front of a woman, hold doors open etc. Billy Smith had his lights punched out by a St George teammate after he wouldn't stop swearing in front of player's wives at a function.

edit to add I would wager on one or more AM radio identities having this sort of thing in their kitbag.

Edited by Parkside

Some people will ask, "why didn't they do something about it at the time?"  Well, we have a tad here about bullying in the workplace and it is an incredibly tough situation to deal with. And it seems more and more that things were said but we're just swept away.  It's fine out that Susie O'Neill and her manager both complained to ch9 and her manager complained directly to Burke himself and they also asked for the segment to be pulled but nothing happened.  So while he's going to get the hammering that he deserves, maybe nothing legally will come out of it. But what could end up happening at 9 who have clearly enabled this over the years...... this is one of the big things that will come from this.

It's clear that it's reached a time where women are going to say "no more", and they're not gonna be afraid to go after anyone at all! Will the big result be the change in attitudes towards women (in particular but not exclusively) in the workforce?

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:58 PM, goughy said:

Supposedly 50+ complainants with 3 executives lending credence to them.  And it was all hushed up by 9.

And why did the 3 execs not do anything. And if you read between the lines of the articles with Kerrie-Anne Kennerley.... it all used to happen outside of Sam Chishoms office.