• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Curious how you don't read many posts saying: good solid prep- totally injury free as I've been doing my core exercises.  Nutrition nailed in training - Time to roll the dice and rock ! 😂

For someone that was totally underdone and overweight, I was pleased with my efforts on the day. Good swim (in @ 42% the field); good bike - (in @ 54% of the field) and as usual, slow as anything on t

Swim went well, bike went well, had no legs in the run as expected. Set out of T2 with Mick Ennis, but that lasted about 1k.  Forgot my garmin and HRM so was doing all on feel. I once forgot my c

Posted Images

yeh, tomorrow is set to be 30deg which is the hottest day for a while there I believe.  
thursday 27 1-5mm rain

friday 26 5-10mm rain

saturday 23 1-5mm rain

sunday 23 1-5mm rain

monday 24 1-5mm rain

can you tell I want a wetsuit swim??  ;)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Notsofast said:

Unfortunately I may now not have to worry as a calf issue may see me as a DNS :(

Back to Physio today to see what he can do

I did a 70.3 with a grade 1 tear. Had 2 x compression socks on, tight as, but I could run. 

16 minutes ago, Suburban Kid said:

I havent done any swims in my wetsuit, and was planning on wearing the speedsuit, perhaps I should get a wetsuit swim in somewhere!

I havent taken my boke outside since early september before the weekend just gone.  I figured they might not let me do the bike leg on my kickr so I should probably get some real world practice in, i also had a swim in the wetsuit the weekend just gone, just incase...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Ill be in Penrith with work from wednesday, is there anywhere safe to ride around that area?

Well, there is the Regatta centre of course. Not always open to use.

If you're cruising then loops along Tench reserve are ok, if repetitive.

Looking for a hill? Head up GWH, but take the Lapstone exit as there is no real shoulder for a bit,  follow the back way into Glenbrook, then you can get back on the hwy (good shoulder from there mostly).

Alternatively- the Hawkesbury lookout loop- Head North out Castlereagh rd (the 70.3 course) to Agnes Banks and turn left onto Springwood road. Follow this up to the GWH at Springwood and roll back down the hill. Exit the hwy at Glenbrook and come back down via Mitchell's pass (conservatively if you've not ridden it before) into Emu Plains on the old GWH

South of Penrith is a bit of a pain at the moment with the detours for roadworks (these finish just Sth of glenmore park). But rolling down the Northern Rd is straightforward with a good shoulder beyond the works these days. Turn right at Bringelly lights and follow Greendale rd back to Mulgoa rd. then cut back across via Chain o' Ponds rd for some short sharp climbs (commonly used as part of Port training around here)

Normally the Regatta centre is open at first light. An even 5 km per lap.

Castlereagh road has a (older) section that starts at a small rise with a church on the left, about 5-6 km after the Regatta centre. From there for several km the shoulder is not so wide. While this is the 70.3 course, many will take the less busy road that runs roughly parallel in training. You come back onto C'reagh rd again for a couple of kms before the 70.3 turnoff. Most of the rest of the 70.3 course is quieter backroads.

I think the local group rollout for the Hawkesbury loop at 5 or 530 Thursday morning. ?maybe message Ryan @3dbikefit? as I know he does this ride.

4 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I havent taken my boke outside since early september before the weekend just gone.  I figured they might not let me do the bike leg on my kickr so I should probably get some real world practice in, i also had a swim in the wetsuit the weekend just gone, just incase...

Same - I havent ridden my bike outside for a few months, I figure trainer / kickr training is better for you anyway! I'm heading out for the first time this saturday, that will do me!

• Like 1

The Regatta centre is a good place to do efforts. Particularly early mornings as there aren't many people there, just a few walkers and joggers. Heads up through the chicane near the rowing sheds as rowers in a haze wander onto the road occasionally...

Next week, arrive on wednesday. 

I sent the PTC page on facebook a msg their response was - 

Naughton and Harris loop down jamison rd towards the river, along the river south past coffee club up n around Factory Road...approx 10km loop.  

Do you know this one?  Ive looked on a map and it looks like to complete the loop you have to come along the main rd where there is no shoulder?

On 15/11/2017 at 11:10 AM, zed said:

I did a 70.3 with a grade 1 tear. Had 2 x compression socks on, tight as, but I could run. 

Thanks Zed, I will give that a go. I have 3 Alter G sessions booked in next week so that should be ok.

Fingers are crossed

10 minutes ago, Sar said:

Hi guys,

WS 70.3 is my first half.

Easy question - do you ever, ever feel ready for the first one?!

Sarah

You never feel ready.  No matter how many you do.  I'l be the guy with the beard.  Come say hi.

18 minutes ago, Sar said:

Hi guys,

Sarah

I would say, for most people, no. You can train your arse off, but at the end of the day training isn't racing and there are a lot of things you learn by racing more e.g pacing. If you're fit and have had a decent 12 week build + got a good race plan you'll be fine. Too many people chuck their race plan out the window as soon as the hooter goes and end up walking the last 10kms having a miserable time. If you can be disciplined to stick to a pre-planned strategy that will serve you well in the future. Way too may people at Busso last season crowing about their great bike split, neglecting to mention their 2 hour run. Don't be that girl! No-one cares about your bike split...  I try and make my main goal, executing my race plan, rather than getting a goal time. 

For a lot of first timers that are standing on the beach shitting themselves, it's because they're under-trained or out of their depth.

Edited by zed
4 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

You never feel ready.  No matter how many you do.  I'l be the guy with the beard.  Come say hi.

You might wanna give her a few more deets, lots of bearded hipsters knocking about these days!

1 minute ago, zed said:

I would say, for most people, no. You can train your arse off, but at the end of the day training isn't racing and there are a lot of things you learn by racing more e.g pacing. If you're fit and have had a decent 12 week build + got a good race plan you'll be fine. Too many people chuck their race plan out the window as soon as the hooter goes and end up walking the last 10kms having a miserable time. If you can be disciplined to stick to a pre-planned strategy that will serve you well in the future. Way too may people at Busso last season crowing about their great bike split, neglecting to mention their 2 hour run. Don't be that girl! 

For a lot of first timers that are standing on the beach shitting themselves, it's because they're under-trained or out of their depth.

Have had a good training plan, just got the pre race jitters.  I'm fitter than I've ever been, but still slow compared to the guys I train with, which has been a lesson in not comparing...  I figure I'm not going to place so just want to enjoy it!

• Like 1
Just now, Sar said:

Have had a good training plan, just got the pre race jitters.  I'm fitter than I've ever been, but still slow compared to the guys I train with, which has been a lesson in not comparing...  I figure I'm not going to place so just want to enjoy it!

Busso 70.3 will be 70.3 number 11 and I still get the jitters! If you've trained you'll be doing a lot better than 20%+ of the people there!

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, zed said:

I would say, for most people, no. You can train your arse off, but at the end of the day training isn't racing and there are a lot of things you learn by racing more e.g pacing. If you're fit and have had a decent 12 week build + got a good race plan you'll be fine. Too many people chuck their race plan out the window as soon as the swim is cancelled hooter goes and end up walking the last 10kms having a miserable time. If you can be disciplined to stick to a pre-planned strategy that will serve you well in the future. Way too may people at Busso last season crowing about their great bike split, neglecting to mention their 2 hour run. Don't be that girl! No-one cares about your bike split...  I try and make my main goal, executing my race plan, rather than getting a goal time. 

FTFY ;-) 

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, pieman said:

FTFY ;-) 

ha ha I was hoping no-one would pick up on that :)

Although I'm not sure I'd race any different if I had the chance to do it again. 

#don'tpractisewhatIpreach

Edited by zed

Well, I am in. I am completely underdone, overweight and a codger. You will beat me Sar. Enjoy the day like I will try and do (I always get my money’s worth)  😀

Say hello to anyone with a Transitions cap. They will all say high and you start meeting the family. Just no arse slap as you cycle or run by me. 

FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, zed said:

You might wanna give her a few more deets, lots of bearded hipsters knocking about these days!

When I did this race 2 years ago some guy yelled at me from the side of the road "get back to bondi you hipster".  Being from the gold coast I had no idea what he was on about. 

RBR, wear a flannie as your racesuit and you'll fit in here. There are beards on every second guy around here (and some of the women 8-/ ).Hell, even I've got a vague attempt at one right now (it IS Movember! - taking donations...)

That's the 'river loop' I referred to earlier. None of those roads are busy, with Factory rd having no shoulder, but not much traffic. The turn loops are residential  at each end. It's not a loop to practise TTs on unless very early in the day though- too many come down to the park by the river. 

3 hours ago, Sar said:

Hi guys,

Sarah

Good luck and enjoy the day Sar.

Ill be in a tranny cap wearing media accred. Looking very unfit.

say Hi!! 

• Thanks 1