What nutrition do you use

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

No.the health benefits are higher in raw (except the salmonella bit). I'm just ignoring that!

What are the health benefits you're after? Protein is better in cooked eggs.

5 hours ago, Cranky said:

No.the health benefits are higher in raw (except the salmonella bit). I'm just ignoring that!

But the article you posted said that raw eggs:

Have a higher risk of salmonella

Interfere with bioton uptake

Have less available protein.

What are the benefits i missed?

From the article:

PROTEIN BIOAVAILABILITY

Cooking raw eggs increases the bioavailability of the protein in them. According to a 1998 study published in the "Journal of Nutrition," 51 percent of the protein found in raw eggs is bioavailable, meaning only about half of the protein in a raw egg can be absorbed by your body. In contrast, by cooking the egg, the bioavailability of egg protein increases to 91 percent, making cooked eggs a much better source of available protein than raw eggs.

Edited by Turts
  • Like 2
On 10/24/2017 at 4:41 PM, MackaEvo2 said:

Hydration, bars, gels....
What ever you use what brand do you use and why?
What have you found to be great and what sucked?

I'm all liquid/gels.  Solid food slows me down towards the end of a race.  I like tailwind as an electrolyte and carb drink and endura gels.  With gels though it comes down to taste.  They'e all basically the same so find one you love and stick to it.

Training I sometimes take a bottle of tailwind on a long ride.  Otherwise I don't have anything while training.

Edited by RunBrettRun
On 25/11/2017 at 10:02 AM, Cranky said:

He's some great advice. Speaking from experience! Did my 90 minute run this morning and then had to have a bit of a break before I jumped on the bike as I had to get the girls ready and  for them to be picked up for acro. Decided to have my standard post training drink, raw eggs in chocolate milk, but because they were a bit smaller I threw in four. About 45 minutes later I jumped on the bike for a 90 minute wind trainer session.

Not good. I thought because I wasn't running, it would be OK. Wrong. Felt sick the whole time. Didn't spew though, and finished my session, so that's great! 

I once watched this movie about a guy called Rocky who went alright drinking raw eggs...

• Haha 2

Its funny, no matter how dialled in you think are with nutrition sometimes you still make errors in racing that could cost you a min or two.  

On the weekend just gone i went into the race with a plan.  That was to have a mouthful of tailwind every 15min and a gel every 30min on the bike. Then on the run @ 6k 12k and 18k.

So tailwind at 15, 45, 1h 15, 1hr 45, 2hr 15

Gel @ 30 1h 1hr 30, 2hrs. 

For some reason I decided I would skip the 2 hour gel and have it in t2, but finish off my tailwind over the last 45 min of the bike. 

Two problems with that was I rode 10min longer than I thought I would, and I forgot to have my gel in T2.  This then compounded on the run cause I took my first gel at 7k instead of 6k, then 13k instead of 12k.  I started the run within 5sec per k of goal race but slowly faded out to about 15sec per k slower than goal pace, before picking it back up (about 10min after the second gel kicked in) to finish off the last 5k at goal pace.  

Sometimes we come up with these great plans and then in the heat of the moment stuff them up completely.  My advice is have your nutrition plan firmly in place and just stick to it like glue.  If things go wrong then play around with it, but do everything you can to stay to your plan.

Edited by RunBrettRun
12 hours ago, Cranky said:

That's what I'm after

I generally prefer to get my nutritional advice from non-fiction. 

Having said that, who knows whats true nowadays? 

Bur if ur eating eggs for protein, the reserch does show better bioavailability when cooked. 

If its for appearances and grossing ur mates out with ur commitment, raw eggs in choc milk should take the cake. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, The Customer said:

Anyone remember the good ol' 'Egg-flip'? Was a favourite when you were home from school sick.

Blend together:

• 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Grated nutmeg

Yeah that was great - Toss in some brandy and voila - egg nog 🤗 Now that's one way to eat/drink raw eggs 

• 1 month later...

For those who use Infinnit - can you give nay feedback, has it worked well, did you have to go back and make any changes to the blend if you got a custom mix etc... I've just ordered a 25 serving pack, after going through the thingy on the page answering questions and its spat out a custom mix for me.

I've made my own nutrition previously at home but im spending waaaay to much time in the kitchen for my liking and i dont feel as though ive ever got it completely right, so will be interested to see how this goes.

15 minutes ago, KieranR said:

For those who use Infinnit - can you give nay feedback, has it worked well, did you have to go back and make any changes to the blend if you got a custom mix etc... I've just ordered a 25 serving pack, after going through the thingy on the page answering questions and its spat out a custom mix for me.

I've made my own nutrition previously at home but im spending waaaay to much time in the kitchen for my liking and i dont feel as though ive ever got it completely right, so will be interested to see how this goes.

I dont use it, but have only heard good things about it.

5 hours ago, KieranR said:

I use infinite. Just changed my mix in the last order. I have received it but haven't actually opened it up yet as I still have some of the old mix. The best idea is probably to give him a call or leave a message for him to call you. That way you can have a chat and talk about exactly what you want. That's how I did it and it's also what I did when I changed my mix slightly. He's very helpful and easy to talk to.

4 minutes ago, roxii said:

Jase from infinit is a member here. 

While he may not be totally unbiased he has always been very good with assistance and feedback. 

Yes. This.

10 minutes ago, Infinit Jase said:

Too Funny.  I just tried to give you a call Keiran.  I sit on the phone all day every day making mixes up for people so that there is no confusion.  Just give me a buzz back and I will get you sorted.  

Thanks guys.  See ya at Robina Cranky.

ah yes, my mobile is off when at work , not allowed them here in case it blows up the gas plant................ apparnelty it would be bad for town.  will give you a call from the land line.

21 hours ago, KieranR said:

ah yes, my mobile is off when at work , not allowed them here in case it blows up the gas plant................ apparnelty it would be bad for town.  will give you a call from the land line.

But don't they know you have nutrition to order? !

Can I ask a noob question?  From someone who just uses water and real food to train.  What do you guys get from this "nutrition" that you don't get from the normal food you eat?  Is this for racing or also for everyday training?  I can understand that if you are spending long hours (HIM / IM etc) training and racing that you need to ingest food that gives you energy and won't upset your stomach etc.  but if training for OD type of distance, what is the use case?

Bogfrog for me it's more about convenient easy to digest food on race day.  

Real food doesn't work when you're looking for something that will absorb fast and not sit in your gut under high intensity. 

For training I rarely take much nutrition but if I do it's either a banana or a bottle of tailwind for convenience and an emergency gel just incase.

• Like 1

I'm too lazy to figure out what foods I need and how much. This is just easy! People have told me it works. I trust said people know what they're talking about. The end. 

Sorry I'm not of more help!  Lol. 

Call Jase.  He'll fill you in.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Thanks RBR. So what does tailwind /infinite give you? I know about gels etc

Tailwind for me is just a carb mix, I drink all my calories in races cause I cant digest solid food at intensity.  I guess its like drinking a banana?  

Lollies, bread and any other solids accumulate in my gut while racing, so after 7 or 8 hours of fueling with those things I struggle to take any more on.  With the liquid nutrition I haven't had this issue unless i take a gel without water.  

• Thanks 1

Hi BogFrog,

The 1 thing that I try to do when I work with athletes is make their nutrition plan as simple and dumb proof as possible.  

We Custom make Nutrition.  You get to tell me what you want and I can make it up in 8 different flavours.  If you have a Dietitian looking after you.  Sweet as.  They can tell me what they want for you and I make it up.  If you don't know what you want.  I sit on the phone all day making mixes up for athletes.

For Olympic Distance racing I'm going to have a serve of my Infinit in a bidon.  Drink the bottle and that is my whole nutrition for the race.

If you need any help with anything just let me know.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Infinit Jase said:

Hi BogFrog,

The 1 thing that I try to do when I work with athletes is make their nutrition plan as simple and dumb proof as possible.  

This is why it suits me down to the ground!  

I must admit Ive looked at infinit a few times, I dont like calling people I just like ordering stuff.  I have no idea what I want which is why I put it in the too hard basket for me.  

Sounds like a good idea if you have specific needs set out by a nutritionist though.

20 minutes ago, Infinit Jase said:

Yeah Brett I totally get that.  My wife is the same.  She hates talking on the phone.  I'm going to make a bigger effort this year to get out and see squads and clubs more.

not sure if you're at too many races Jase but I would be more likely to approach at a race face to face.

In saying that with you being on here makes it easier to communicate but Im guessing you want more than just a few trannies buying your product.

How do you handle people like myself who might say, I like tailwind make me something like that?

You can just get the infinit pre-made options, which would probably do you fine rbr.  Not tweaked specifically for you, but still a great product.  Someting like their Go Far mix.  It's a great starting point.

Edited by goughy

Tailwind is not something that we can replicate.  It is made up of Dextrose and Sucrose.  We use both of those and Maltodextrin as well.  My 2 questions are normally how many grams of carbs are you trying to get in per hour and how much Sodium are you chasing.  Then I can get a mix going for you.

Yeah it would be great to get to more races but I am pretty booked up with the races that I have now that we sponsor.  Between Tri's, running and MTB'ing events.  We have a lot going on.

I think that we would be the smallest nutrition company in Aus.  I do all of the talking.  My wife Rach does all of the smart stuff (social media, contracts with sponsored athletes and looks after our clubs and coaches).  My dad makes up all of the product.

Hey Brett if you were to ring us up for a nutrition chat.  Would you rather speak a Dietitian or a Pro Athlete that knows our product inside and out?  I am getting to busy to do this on my own.

2 hours ago, Infinit Jase said:

Yeah it would be great to get to more races but I am pretty booked up with the races that I have now that we sponsor.  Between Tri's, running and MTB'ing events.  We have a lot going on.

I think that we would be the smallest nutrition company in Aus.  I do all of the talking.  My wife Rach does all of the smart stuff (social media, contracts with sponsored athletes and looks after our clubs and coaches).  My dad makes up all of the product.

Hey Brett if you were to ring us up for a nutrition chat.  Would you rather speak a Dietitian or a Pro Athlete that knows our product inside and out?  I am getting to busy to do this on my own.

Tbh speaking to a pro athlete or dietician isn't really going to make me anymore likely to call.  Speaking to someone who can listen to what I want.  Understand the type of athlete I am and how my diet/nutrition requirement and raceday needs differ from the next athlete and help come up with a plan that will (hopefully) work for me.

Not everyone wants to carry all their nutrition in one bottle and not every athlete wants to rely on only one type of fuel on raceday.  

I feel a nutritionist is more likely to tell me what I need and a pro will likely sell me what works for them.

I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

not sure if you're at too many races Jase but I would be more likely to approach at a race face to face.

In saying that with you being on here makes it easier to communicate but Im guessing you want more than just a few trannies buying your product.

How do you handle people like myself who might say, I like tailwind make me something like that?

He'll be at Robina next Sunday. Maybe a fly by chat after the race? 

3 hours ago, Infinit Jase said:

I had no idea it was a small family business. How cool! 

Out of those 2 options, I'd choose a pro (of they knew the product inside out). 

10 minutes ago, softy said:

I've never used any of these kind of products. How do they go in high heat conditions ? ( ie 35-40 degrees C ). 

I've trained and raced on Infinit for probably 5 or 6 years and live in Queensland.  Never had any bad experiences when it heats up towards the end of a long ride or in the hot races I've done.

• Like 1