2 years to the day since I saw one from the closest vantage point they allow civilians. Mind-blowing. The noise it makes as it is heading away from you and you are looking up the date of the primary rocket at full thrust is other-worldly. If you can swing a ticket at KSC I very highly recommend it.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Two US astronauts have just gone into quarantine for a planned launch of Space-X's Crew Dragon, which will be the first US manned rocket since the space shuttle days. On May 27 they will launch from the same pad as the Apollo Moon missions, and the last Space Shuttle.

Big day for us rocket geeks.

I went to Belrose to watch Optus launch a satellite live from Belize. Not quite the same but still very cool.  (we won't talk about D3 that exploded on take off a couple of years previously :blush: )

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Might find out in a few years. My son has started his Aerospace Engineering degree this year. 

In a few years when his time for work experience comes up, and he's happy with the "air" side rather than the "space" side, I'm at Airbus (though not Brisbane) and we have a pretty good work experience / graduate program.

• Like 1

It's astounding how many satellites are up there and floating around...

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites

It looks like about 22 Starlink dots will be heading over the East Coast at about 5.45pm this evening.

https://www.starlink.com/

Worth a look if you've got kids or are keen on this stuff.  It's especially cool when you get about 60 in a row just after launch. Star gazers hate it though, too many distractions.  There will be thousands of these things up there in a year or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, toolex said:

In a few years when his time for work experience comes up, and he's happy with the "air" side rather than the "space" side, I'm at Airbus (though not Brisbane) and we have a pretty good work experience / graduate program.

He'll most likely go down this path. He did a couple weeks work experience during school at Insitu Pacific (part of Boeing) and loved working with the engineers on some of the unmanned stuff they do. We've also got a pretty big Boeing presence in the area, as well as other companies associated with Defence out at Amberley Air Base.

• Like 1
On 15/05/2020 at 2:36 AM, Go Easy said:

It's astounding how many satellites are up there and floating around...

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites

It looks like about 22 Starlink dots will be heading over the East Coast at about 5.45pm this evening.

https://www.starlink.com/

Worth a look if you've got kids or are keen on this stuff.  It's especially cool when you get about 60 in a row just after launch. Star gazers hate it though, too many distractions.  There will be thousands of these things up there in a year or so.

Next launch Starlink 8 is tomorrow

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Virgin Galactic had a go at launching a test satellite into low earth orbit today but aborted. Unfortunately when you are launching from under a 747, aborting at ignition means you've already dropped the rocket. Haven't found any video yet, but if someone does could they post up the link. :)

I don't suppose you guys saw it but ISS passed over here about 6 weeks ago for a few nights.  We could see it easily from our window.  (wasn't that impressive, it just a blinking light, a long way away)

10 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I don't suppose you guys saw it but ISS passed over here about 6 weeks ago for a few nights.  We could see it easily from our window.  (wasn't that impressive, it just a blinking light, a long way away)

We see it here a bit too. I get a good view as I'm out of town & there are no street lights in the area, but yeah, it's a blinking light flying past real quick. If you have good sky like here, you can see dozens of satellites fly over every night that look nearly as good. The starlink ones are pretty awesome though just after take-off.

There's also a local Astronomy FB group that lets everyone know when good shit is happening. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There's also a local Astronomy FB group that lets everyone know when good shit is happening. 

EX, Can you share the group name or is a private group?

Posted (edited)

Launch scrubbed this morning due to the weather (storms).

19 hours ago, toolex said:

I'm hoping for a one hour delay to be able to watch it at work...

Apparently due to the orbital dynamics of getting to the ISS, the launch had to be at exactly 4:33 today. An alternate launch date on Saturday has a longer window.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
55 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Apparently due to the orbital dynamics of getting to the ISS, the launch had to be at exactly 4:33 today. An alternate launch date on Saturday has a longer window.

Yeah I knew there couldn't be a hour long delay. They do have a few minutes leeway, but not that long. Rescheduled for I think 5:22am Sunday.

Wow, mission control looked like any other temporary office with foldaway desks, laptops and screens. 
Well, the one we were shown anyway. 

Edited by iFoz

Is there a time the docking is planned. 

was great footage watching this morning. 

amazing the clear coverage from a rocket in space. 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Agreed. It was probably the most interested I've been in a launch in years. I thing seeing 2 guys sitting on top of the firecracker makes it so much better than just a satellite.

I wonder what the flat-Earthers feel like when they see those shots with the curved horizon in the background. I suppose they just put it down to a fish-eye lens. :)

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Is there a time the docking is planned. 

About half past midnight tonight east oz time. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

About half past midnight tonight east oz time. 

Things are actually a little ahead of schedule at the moment, so I wouldn't set the alarm to just before 12:30. It's still live on the SpaceX site, and the Dragon is starting to get a bit bigger in the picture from the ISS.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wonder what the flat-Earthers feel like when they see those shots with the curved horizon in the background. I suppose they just put it down to a fish-eye lens. :)

My Mrs says they blame it on camera distortion.  Sometimes it's editing.  They're just complete fluitloops.  She's had plenty of stoushes with them.  Every time they do an experiment to prove the earth is flat and the results prove it's round, they claim the results are an anomaly.

24 minutes ago, Parkside said:

wish tey had accurate racking of this array, we saw the tail end of the last one, want to watch it while its fresh

Do you use Findstarlink.com?

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Do you use Findstarlink.com?

yep but no data on latest launch, 8 yet. He does now have an email alert for when its visible southern hemisphere

14 minutes ago, Parkside said:

yep but no data on latest launch, 8 yet. He does now have an email alert for when its visible southern hemisphere

Try this site Parky.

https://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=StarLinkLaunch&sck=1#LIST

You set your location & hit PREDICT PASSES, then next 5 days of passes appear down the bottom of the page.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

There's some people getting pretty pissed off with the Starlink program. This is a multi-image shot taken of the Neowise Comet in the northern hemisphere. The bright streaks are the multiple starlink satellites photo-bombing the shot.

From Daniel López's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/elcielodecanarias.es/photos/a.224658390885198/4415045628513099/?type=3&theater  Cometa y pase de satélites Starlink 😢. . Anoche, tratando de realizar un seguimiento del cometa con un 200mm y la Canon Ra de Canon España, para sumar las imágenes y conseguir más detalle, hubo un pase de satélites Starlink justo delante del mismo. Una pasada y pena ver pasar todos esos puntos luminosos, en total casi 20 imágenes del cometa muestran trazas. Montaré el time lapse en cuanto pueda. La imagen es la suma de 17 fotos de 30 segundos de exposición, por eso se ven tantas trazas.  #DanielLopez #elcielodecanarias #canonespaña

• Like 1

Mars Rover launch coming up.

"Perseverance, which we've nicknamed "Percy," is set to lift off July 30 at 7:50 a.m. EDT (1150 GMT) on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida."

In Australia, that'll be Thursday at 21:50hrs

You can watch the Mars rover launch live here and on Space.com's homepage, courtesy of NASA TV, beginning at 7 a.m. EDT (1100 GMT). But NASA's live webcasts, which will include some behind-the-scenes moments for the mission, won't be the only place you can enjoy the launch.

https://www.space.com/mars-2020-perseverance-rover-how-to-watch-webcasts.html

4 minutes ago, iFoz said:

Mars Rover launch coming up.

"Perseverance, which we've nicknamed "Percy," is set to lift off July 30 at 7:50 a.m. EDT (1150 GMT) on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida."

In Australia, that'll be Thursday at 21:50hrs

You can watch the Mars rover launch live here and on Space.com's homepage, courtesy of NASA TV, beginning at 7 a.m. EDT (1100 GMT). But NASA's live webcasts, which will include some behind-the-scenes moments for the mission, won't be the only place you can enjoy the launch.

https://www.space.com/mars-2020-perseverance-rover-how-to-watch-webcasts.html

Yep, already have it locked & loaded in my calendar, with a reminder a couple hours earlier before I knock off work.