Everesting

Anyone done it?

Anyone done it solo and unsupported?

Standard compact crankset or extra large cogs on the rear cassette?

Heading over to Thailand next week and thinking about giving it a crack. Longer than an IM timewise, but you can stop and rest at any time, and don't even have to swim!

Some tips from anyone who has tried it would be good.

What the holy honk is Everesting?

Given this a triathlon site, I thought somebody put a triathlon slant on Mountain climbing?

Gsp. You should be all over this. Brad Ackers did it in brim bank park last year.

One important thing I reckon is to do it on a short climb

Say 50-100 m gain

That's it

Saves on the extra hazard of fatigue etc on the decent causeing dramas and it far easier mentally I reckon

Also u will be done faster as the return journey should be easier so quicker

• Like 1

One important thing I reckon is to do it on a short climb

Say 50-100 m gain

That's it

Saves on the extra hazard of fatigue etc on the decent causeing dramas and it far easier mentally I reckon

Also u will be done faster as the return journey should be easier so quicker

Am i the only one thinking it would be easier not to do it?

• Like 4

Cheers all for the input! I'm not sure I've got the beans to do it solo and without support. I stumbled on a video of a guy failing on the hill I had in mind. The Thai military stopped him summitting on his last lap as it was late evening. Bummer. Still there's plenty of other hills there. Maybe I'll be able to find one with a 7-11 at the bottom.

I'll pack the goggles and swimmers, just in case.

Is it possible to run one? Anyone tried? It'd be a hell of a day's run.

Did 4000m give or take on a 3.2 km circuit over 43km. The downhills would get you in the end. Might be doable, but it would be about 15 hours of running I reckon? Edited by Lostkiwi

You got me thinking about doing it. I had a look at where some locals have done it. One guy did a 1.5km hill with 75m elevation gain which he rode about ~45 times. Others have done 3km hills with 250-350m elevation.

Cool concept.

You got me thinking about doing it. I had a look at where some locals have done it. One guy did a 1.5km hill with 75m elevation gain which he rode about ~45 times. Others have done 3km hills with 250-350m elevation.

Â

Cool concept.

I did my road Everest on a 550m road with 46m gain

Did 10000m gain on that one (well 10028 actually)

Very easy logistically and much safer than anything longer

Jason English (Australian 24 hour mountain biking world champion for too many years) everesting. Took him 17 hours but he did do half of it on a fixie.

Â

I've also seen him do a Everest when he did over 13000m gained

Two mates attempted a trail run Everest up North Brother (south of Port Macquarie). It is about 440m gain over 2km or so. Needed about 21 laps and managed 16. Messed it up by starting at dawn so had to struggle through the night when tired. They plan to start at midnight next time.

Two mates attempted a trail run Everest up North Brother (south of Port Macquarie). It is about 440m gain over 2km or so. Needed about 21 laps and managed 16. Messed it up by starting at dawn so had to struggle through the night when tired. They plan to start at midnight next time.

Yes

I reckon if you think it will take over 16 hrs to start in the evening or mid nite as you do the bits in the dark while fresh

Doing that at the end of a half marathon is the stupidity thing I've ever done.

16 times....they should be medicated.

Micheal Owen from Brisbane who did 50 loops of Cootha a year or two ago (which doesn't count as Everesting because it is a loop even though he was way way over the 8000m) recently Everested Mt Nebo. This is an interesting choice, but you get the elevation on the way down too which is clever.

• 3 years later...
14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Former Pro Phil Gaimon has set a new Everesting record of under 8 hours, taking over 30 minutes off the old record.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/gaimon-sets-fastest-everesting-record/?fbclid=IwAR2eDPMZXIvoCS79jdFvNXjXXs2jTOuYaeeYT2WSHnu8WnSzLuQ7O4T7rO0

I saw that. It is a very impressive performance - crazy to think about pushing those kinds of watts for 8 hours up and down a hill 70 times. Mental. 

His video content is similarly painful! :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

It seems Everesting is the thing to do if you don't have a race to enter. For the 3rd time in less than 3 weeks, an Everesting record has been claimed, and this time, the Queen's. Katie Hall, an American pro cyclist has taken over 2 hours off the existing record, clocking 10:01:42.

I'll bet she wishes she was 1:43 faster.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/katie-hall-sets-new-everesting-world-record/?fbclid=IwAR3vcC-yTk1s7NGYPKMTCFNnAB6Gsx9mcO_ow0WRMuPU3mDXSZeFjMIINek

As another point of interest, about 3 weeks ago, Cavendish (and Luke Rowe) did a virtual Everest, riding up & down Alpe du Zwift 8 and a bit times in a tad under 11 hours.

18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It seems Everesting is the thing to do if you don't have a race to enter. For the 3rd time in less than 3 weeks, an Everesting record has been claimed, and this time, the Queen's. Katie Hall, an American pro cyclist has taken over 2 hours off the existing record, clocking 10:01:42.

I'll bet she wishes she was 1:43 faster.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/katie-hall-sets-new-everesting-world-record/?fbclid=IwAR3vcC-yTk1s7NGYPKMTCFNnAB6Gsx9mcO_ow0WRMuPU3mDXSZeFjMIINek

As another point of interest, about 3 weeks ago, Cavendish (and Luke Rowe) did a virtual Everest, riding up & down Alpe du Zwift 8 and a bit times in a tad under 11 hours.

He's hitting it hard on Zwift, I'm sure he was doing PRL FULL like me last Saturday.  He lapped me but I already had 110km in my legs at that point, so I let him go.  Let the kids have their fun I say. 😅

Just now, FatPom said:

He's hitting it hard on Zwift, I'm sure he was doing PRL FULL like me last Saturday.  He lapped me but I already had 110km in my legs at that point, so I let him go.  Let the kids have their fun I say. 😅

Geraint Thomas has done 3 x 12 hour zwift rides for charities since lock-down. I've done nearly 12 hours on the road. I couldn't imagine it on a trainer.

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Geraint Thomas has done 3 x 12 hour zwift rides for charities since lock-down. I've done nearly 12 hours on the road. I couldn't imagine it on a trainer.

Yeah I was 10mins shy of 7hrs last Sat and was ready to shoot myself!  I did it without Netflix, just had Zwift on the Mac and Spotify on the BT speaker.

And yet again:

This time it's Katie Hall's record falling by 4 minutes, with Lauren De Crescenzo taking the honour of being the first lady under 10 hours.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Apparently Ross Edgley - the guy who swam around Great Britain a couple of years ago - has also everested ... doing a rope climb ...

That sounds very unpleasant. And not at all inspiring ha ha.

3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Apparently Ross Edgley - the guy who swam around Great Britain a couple of years ago - has also everested ... doing a rope climb ...

Isn’t that how you actually climb Everest? 

• 2 weeks later...

Crowcombe Hill is the steepest hill I've ever ridden up on a road bike and it came about 90 miles into a 125 mile sportive I did.  I really felt like crying and can't comprehend this, at all!