OK Gang, it’s time for me to cash in on all my great work. Read on Mcduff and don’t stop until you get to the finish.

Over the years, most of you have received support from me. This has been through:-

Carried you across the IM line at Port and Forster including to the medical tent; did up your wetsuit before a race; got you a new towel after you spewed on it; yelled you support while I was racing or on the sidelines; pay-it-forwards; made you laugh with my great wit; annoyed the shit our of you online; bought you beers after the race; stole your IM medal; dropped you a PM to see how you are.... bla bla bla. Well, now I’m looking for a little help and return of goodwill.

In March 2017, I have teamed up with 100 of my fellow workers and customers to complete the “Westpac 200 Tour de Cure”. That’s right, fat boy me is completing approximately 300 kms in 3 days. The aim is to raise $500,000. I have set myself a minimum target of $5,000.

Almost all of us have been touched someway by cancer – you, your friends, your family. It is pretty gut wrenching so doing something about it is important. Your tax deductible donation with help go towards cancer research, cancer support projects and cancer prevention projects. We have seen great work done by the Tour de Cure researchers with 18 breakthroughs over the years, funded directly by people like you.

So, I am cashing in all of my previous Trannie chips with this ride. I would love you to sponsor me in my trek and help me reach/exceed my goal so others can benefit.

As with all rides of this nature, I have stumped up the 1st $500 to get the ball rolling. Now it’s training for me but the donations are over to you.

Just to let you know, we are starting out Penrith way and heading down to Bowral then back to Barangaroo. We will be stopping along the way at schools to give talks plus donation cheques at night. A long 3 days but well worth it.

So for me to do great, I need your support. My link is below and it’s under the name of Michael Flanagan. I will give you a run down along the way as to how I am travelling.

Thanks all in anticipation, yours in training and brown-nosing.

Mick

https://www.tourdecure.com.au/pages/tours/westpac-tour-200/profile/8a52f3cbd9a1892e434f272e12856258

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 3

Also, if when you make a donation, at the bottom of the TdC page there is a tick-box called " I'm not a Robot". Please tick that and answer the question (it is a validation question for the site re your donation).

Cheers

FM

You should talk Hoover.. You need to get out there and shed a fair bit of your baby fat :smile1: Thanks for your support anyway.

Well, the training has started and the mandatory rides have been booked in. As part of the lead-up, we have a mandatory 2 rides (of 3 to pick from) that we must complete as part of the lead-up. This allows all to be tested on fitness, but most importantly, learn how to ride safely in a peloton. Unfortunately 1 of the mandatory days is when I was booked into the Emo's Nowra Triathlon - so I had to pull out today. Se la vie for a good cause.

There's still time to climb on board. My page link is above.

Thanks all

Mick

So, my 1st week. Some training on the bike (3 hours), some core and swimming. I did approx 80 hours work this week with the boss away so the training, sleep and home suffered. Hopefully a bit better this/next week. I am working through the Christmas/New Year break so will juggling a bit.

On the fundraising, well that's been going OK - but mainly through work. A couple of Trannies have made pledges, so thanks for that. I know coming up to Christmas is a hard time so have a thought if you can. If not, there is always Jan, Feb and very early March to donate.

Cheers

FM

alternately, you can sponsor me to lose weight over the period. I have weighed in this morning (I will give it to someone trustworthy - if I can find someone on Trannies). You can donate X$s per kilo lost. Start date is today with the final weigh in on Wed 1 March.

So send me a PM if you are interested. I will send you my weight.

Cheers

FM

Up at 3.15am this morning to complete some peloton practice (Centennial Park). I haven't ridden with a group for ages so it was great to roll around and start learning again.

BTW, still time to toss in the old coin or 2.

Cheers

FM

Over the years, most of you have received support from me. This has been through:- got you a new towel after you spewed on it;

Thanks all in anticipation, yours in training and brown-nosing.

Mick

Of course...................I have now donated, good luck mate.

• Like 1

alternately, you can sponsor me to lose weight over the period. I have weighed in this morning (I will give it to someone trustworthy - if I can find someone on Trannies). You can donate X$s per kilo lost. Start date is today with the final weigh in on Wed 1 March.

So send me a PM if you are interested. I will send you my weight.

Cheers

FM

So ive got a proposition for you.

Start date Jan 1.

$5 for every KG you lose from then to March 1.

PLUS $5 for each KG I lose. And i will try, honestly.

PM me your start weight and ill PM you mine. Honesty rulz. Could add up to a few $$ if we both do well!

Deal?

• Like 1

So ive got a proposition for you.

Start date Jan 1.

$5 for every KG you lose from then to March 1.

PLUS $5 for each KG I lose. And i will try, honestly.

PM me your start weight and ill PM you mine. Honesty rulz. Could add up to a few $$ if we both do well!

Deal?

OK Turtle, you are ONNNNN !!!

Weigh in 1st thing tomorrow morning then bring on 1 March. Without being bad, I hope you lose big time :smile1::smile1:

Anyone else want to get in on the action. Just let me know. I will PM Turtle and you my starting weight then give a few updates on the way. I hope Greenpeace doesn't find out my start weight as they will be looking to save me.

Thanks again Turtle.

Mick

• Like 1

Â

OK Turtle, you are ONNNNN !!!

Â

Weigh in 1st thing tomorrow morning then bring on 1 March. Without being bad, I hope you lose big time :smile1:Â :smile1:

Â

Anyone else want to get in on the action. Just let me know. I will PM Turtle and you my starting weight then give a few updates on the way. I hope Greenpeace doesn't find out my start weight as they will be looking to save me.

Â

Thanks again Turtle.

Â

Mick

Noice. After xmas with family I'm all for motivation.

But if i fail miserably and the total donation is looking sad I'll up it. For a surprise total.

When I swam the other day i looked like this.http://i.imgur.com/5ptnRPl.jpg

Should be fun! Spud diet maybe? Its all the rage i hear. Well, i read it on trannies at least!

Thank loads Rod for your donation. Should be great for 2 reasons:-

1. A good ride and visitng schools

2. Raising money to help those affected by cancer (patient, family,friends) and educating those early. This is THE MAIN reason fro doing.

FM

Mandatory training ride this Sunday with the group doing the Tour de Cure ride. 3 pelotons (about 20- 30 in the groups). Starting from Centennial Park after 5.30am then heading to Little Bay then out to Waterfall (and back). Somewhere between 100 - 120 kms. Coffee back at Centennial Park around 10.30am.

I've never ridden in a peloton that far and I would at a guess, reckon not too many people have. The idea is to get used to each other, understand the etiquette, be safe and also test the fitness of all.

Should be...... fun. Around 8 weeks to go until the actual Tour.

FM

• Like 1

So I got through the ride yesterday. Just on 100 kms including the Waterfall Hill. 4 quick stops along the way to fill up water bottles and a talk on how the peloton was going. 1st time riding up Waterfall. Tough in parts. Cars were very cooperate for the whole ride . It also helped having the front and back riders having radios to talk.

Have also dropped just on 2 kgs in 2 weeks. The journey now really starts for the last 8 weeks.

FM

• Like 4

Flannie,

we know that you've carried us across the IM line at Port and Forster including to the medical tent; did up your wetsuit before a race; got you a new towel after you spewed on it; yelled you support while I was racing or on the sidelines; pay-it-forwards; made you laugh with my great wit; annoyed the shit out of you online; bought you beers after the race; drank your beers after a race too; stole your IM medal; dropped you a PM to see how you are.... bla bla bla.

Hey, now the ledgers are balanced. LOL

Ride safely and remember, you're not 17 any more

• Like 2

Thanks Roxii and Avago. I am happy to share anyone's beers with me. And yes Roxii, we may have danced a couple of times. A bit like Kath and Kel though - it was always excellent from our point of view.

FM

260 kms of riding last week, gym and 5 kms of swimming. This is the most Ks I have done this early in the year. Still, for a great cause.

5 weeks to go until the big ride so still time for training (for me) and still time for donations (from you). I am getting there, but still a little way to go.

FM

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll get online when I get home this weekend, I fact the last ride I remember before Christmas was near Mittagong via thirlmete, Buxton and hill top then back via yerrinbol,Bargo and Picton. Not that I'd be able or allowed to do that today was thinking of Northern Road up to Luddenham this sat, I just have to find a bike to ride so it may get cancelled

Good luck Mick and I hope it cools down a bit before you ride

Thanks Pete.

We have a compulsory ride this Sunday (I think they are still monitoring at the moment re the weather). If on, there should be at least 60 of us in full kit starting between 5.30 and 6am. From Maisy Cafe at Cremorne. 2 or 3 peletons and around 100 or so kms.

1 thing I have learnt is peddling a bike is 1 thing. Riding a bike, especially in a group is completely different. I feel like a real gumby.

FM

Well I now know why people talk about the Akuna Bay and West Head loop. Never even driven it before let alone ridden. What a great place to train. We had 3 peloton s of about 25 ride from Cremorne and back. I thought the M7 cycleway was busy - geez there are a lot of riders out there. A couple of laps of the hills then back.

Noice place to train. Would have capped it off to jump on one the the boats moored at the marina for a cruise.

3 weeks to go.

FM

Well I now know why people talk about the Akuna Bay and West Head loop. Never even driven it before let alone ridden. What a great place to train. We had 3 peloton s of about 25 ride from Cremorne and back. I thought the M7 cycleway was busy - geez there are a lot of riders out there. A couple of laps of the hills then back.

Noice place to train. Would have capped it off to jump on one the the boats moored at the marina for a cruise.

3 weeks to go.

Haven't really been all that keen on just 'riding' as such for about 10 years or so, but that's a spot I keep hearing about and have never done, and you're making it sound pretty good at the moment... Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and do it one day.

In case I don't speak to you beforehand (as I haven't been on here much lately) good luck with your big ride, I'm sure you'll smash it. You're a good man and you're doing it for a good cause. Big thumbs up! :thumbsup:.

Thanks Geoff. The loop out there is very pretty and fairly lumpy. Perfect for getting your altitude. I wouldn't mind doing it again but it's a 70 km drive for me to get there from home however, if the pelotons go again from Cremorne - then I'm in.

Yes, less than 3 weeks to go. Husky out of the way this weekend then 1.5 weeks of training, rest then on the road for 3 full days.

I'm very close to hitting my target so very happy with the response. A few Trannies have chipped in as well - thanks all (I still have a weigh in for money and it's looking like about 6 kgs lost for the time). For others, there is still time so happy to receive late donations. :smile1:

For info, the group has raised $335K as of today but there will be at least another $50K - $60K next week then a kick in from sponsors and Westpac. Here's hoping we should hit the magical $500,000 raised by ride time. A mighty effort from all.

Mick

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1 week to go and no training in the past 7 days. Wicked chest infection and haven't had one for years. Sitting in the medical centre waiting to get my 2nd dose of antibiotics.

Sleep and rest are my only friends.

FM

Edited by Flanman

1 week to go and no training in the past 7 days. Wicked chest infection and haven't had one for years.

No training for 2 weeks won't have hurt you. Just rest & recover, you'll be right. Get them anti-biotics into you together with all the AP concoctions you can handle and you'll be fine.

Good luck with it and try to stay positive.

1 week to go and no training in the past 7 days. Wicked chest infection and haven't had one for years. Sitting in the medical centre waiting to get my 2nd dose of antibiotics.

Sleep and rest are my only friends.

FM

Its a bugger you're crook. Hope you feel better soon!

But for a silver lining, i assume your appetite is gone? Think of all the extra weight loss and dollars that earns from me!

Thanks GE and Turtle. Still coughing up stuff but slowly reducing. Looks like I will have a wet tail for the ride. And yes Turtle, the weight has started to come off.

I should get the itinerary tomorrow night so hopefully can post on Wednesday. I do know however, we are rolling out from Panania Diggers Club on Sunday at 8.30ish. Yep, the old stomping ground behind Kelso Park.

FM

So, weigh in time today (weight lost from mid Jan to 1 March - per previous page).

The scales were a bit friendlier for me this time - The loss is 8 kgs. :smile1:

I am getting the schedule today so should be able to post the route. I do know we will be heading out of Panania, down past my place near Narellan, back of Razorback and into Bowral for the 1st night.

I will have also some other info in regard to where the funds are being distributed, how much we look like raising etc. So a HUGE thanks those that have contributed. Don't forget, there is still time to donate if you have not (refer to link on the 1st page).

Thanks

Mick

• Like 2

So, weigh in time today (weight lost from mid Jan to 1 March - per previous page).

The scales were a bit friendlier for me this time - The loss is 8 kgs. :smile1:

I am getting the schedule today so should be able to post the route. I do know we will be heading out of Panania, down past my place near Narellan, back of Razorback and into Bowral for the 1st night.

I will have also some other info in regard to where the funds are being distributed, how much we look like raising etc. So a HUGE thanks those that have contributed. Don't forget, there is still time to donate if you have not (refer to link on the 1st page).

Thanks

Mick

well done. I have the 8 you lost. Plus a bonus one :).
  • Like 1

Good work mate. Hope the lurgy leave in time for an enjoyable trip!

Will sort those extra bucks for you wen i get home. Great work!!

Edited by The Turtle
  • Like 1

Close enough to my final post before the big gig. Here's some info..................

Â

This Sunday, 100 Westpac cyclists, 40 corporate sponsors and 40 support crew (including Westpac staff) will head out for the inaugural Westpac Tour 200 cycle ride. This is in support of the Tour de Cure philosophy.

Â

Our Teamâs fundraising has been fantastic. The riders and support crew have currently raised in excess of $450,000. Our sponsors have also contributed over $235,000. We are still receiving donations and with a special donation from Westpac, we are looking to hit around $900,000. A fantastic effort for a great cause. There maybe even a chance we can hit that magical $1M mark â we will see.

Â

Our Travels

We head out this Sunday @ 8.30am from Panania Diggers Club and travel via Narellan, Camden, Thirlmere, Mittagong and finish day 1 in Bowral. A total kms of 113kms for the day. Day 2 will see us travel into Moss Vale, through the upper Kangaroo Valley then back round through Port Kembla to Wollongong, hitting just on 110 kms. The final day we will travel back to Sydney and arrive at Barangaroo somewhere around 3pm. All up, we will be travelling well over 300 kms. Letâs hope the weather is kind to us !

Â

Along the way, our Team will stop in local communities and donate 7 x $10,000 cheques to projects that support local people affected by cancer. Cancer hits regional communities particularly hard. Death rates are higher and support is limited, so this will bring positive change to people who need it most. The local grants will be given to:-

Â

·       Quest for Life (Bowral)

·       Southern Highlands Cancer Centre Trust Fund

·       Illawarra Cancer Carers

·       Illawarra Cancer Care Centre

·       University of Wollongong: Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute

·       Port Kembla Hospital â Palliative Care Unit

·       Chris OâBrien Lifehouse Foundation (Sydney)

Â

The Westpac 200 Tour team will also visit local schools to share Tour de Cureâs Be Fit, Be Healthy Be Happy program, raising community awareness that 1 in 3 cancers are preventable by making healthy lifestyle choices. It is estimated we will meet almost 2,000 kids during the schools visits.

Â

What Else are we Funding ?

Â

Part of the funds raised have now been allocated. There have been split for research, support and prevention.

Â

Research - $200K:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Professor Murray Norris focused on childhood Neuroblastoma ==>

Â

Support - $80K:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Dr Richard Mitchell for stem cell transplantation

Â

Â

Prevention - $75K:Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 15,000 Tour de Cure Kids Pack will be handed out during schools visits

Â

Â

The rest of the funds will be allocated over the coming months/year and information on this will be provided to Westpac.

I would like to thank those that have made contributions to this great cause. Your support is very much appreciated and I am very humbled by your generosity. For those who would still like to contribute, the following link will get you on board==> https://www.tourdecure.com.au/pages/tours/westpac-tour-200/profile/8a52f3cbd9a1892e434f272e12856258

Â

Thanks also to Roxii who not only made a personal donation but allowed me to pin this thread for the past 3 month - thanks mate.

Â

Mick

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 2

5am alarm. 5.30 bag pickup. Brekkie then rollout just after 6.30. 14C. A bit better weather and a little cool with southerlies. 110 kms today plus visiting schools for talks and handout of safety packs. Finishing at Wollongong this arvo.

Dinner last night was great. 1 beer and 35 waters. Chq given out to cancer support group. More chqs tonight presented.

FM

• Like 5