Homemade Energy Gels

Don't mean to be synical etc, but why would one make there own gels. There are heaps out there and relatively cheap. And when I say cheap I am talking about me personally as I would use approx 15-25 per year (and 12 of them would be race day and others are for long runs late in the season Not worth my while to make them.

I am happy to be told otherwise here because each person is different and each person does different amounts of training/races. Therefore..... Personally I think if you have a well balanced diet, don't abuse yourself and keep hydrated you should be able to get by without them in normal training. Sure you need to fuel yourself with a snack or two but not sure you need so many gels that you need to make yourself.

What are your reasons / training. I may learn something too!

• Like 1

I've done them. Corn syrup (maltodextrin) and fructose sugar in a 2:1 ratio with a little water and flavouring. Add some salt to counter the sweetness if you feel like it. I seem to recall it worked out around 20c a gel. Haven't made any for a while.

I like to keep my caffeine separate so that I can control exactly what I have better.

Energy bars are easier to make in my opinion.

Oats, rice bubbles, some sultanas, ground coffee beans, honey and nutella. Mix and freeze.

Gels, look at Infinit nutrition, they have a powder that is just add water.

• Like 1

I recently came across a lady called Steph Lowe. She has a website/business up called the Natural Nutritionist. I bought her book called "The Real Food Athlete". Her website is here: http://www.thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/

She has a recipe section on there and has a couple of different energy gel and energy bar recipes, as well as a number of other types of meals that ft within her nutrition philosophy. Some good stuff on there

I recently came across a lady called Steph Lowe. She has a website/business up called the Natural Nutritionist. I bought her book called "The Real Food Athlete". Her website is here: http://www.thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/

She has a recipe section on there and has a couple of different energy gel and energy bar recipes, as well as a number of other types of meals that ft within her nutrition philosophy. Some good stuff on there

Yes Steph has some good stuff

Interesting topic

I've just done 4 weeks (130 hrs) of training on Nuffin but bags of rice pudding and salt stick and water

Not one gel , not a sports drink no multodextrin

I feel great , and until now I'd be useing 60 grams of carbs on every HR

Recently I've been down to Nuffin for the first 3 to 4 hrs and then 20 grams an HR in rice

Not sure this will be a race plan but , I'm sure if and when I use gels in a race I will get full effect

Cheers

Ivp