Outside assistance???

Correct

Same as a mechanic can fix your bike

Just not some dude from the crowd

Cheers

Ivp

yep.

So getting back to the original question.

If medical helps someone it isn't a DQ

This discussion is borderline idiocy - there's more concern over whether she's DQ'd rather than her health. For mine, if you need IV drips in a race you shouldn't be out there and you'd have to call into question the quality of the medical people who administer it and then let them go back out.

The lawyers would have a field day with this if anything went bad.

be7f2c93b0020d6bfc2a355e862c0da8.jpg

This may or may not be ironmums hubby (malleman) eating a burger from makkas and a can coke I got him with 2ks to go at port a few years back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speaking of outside assistance rumour is that Lindsay Corbin (2nd female) received some significant outside assistance after she stacked the bike to rejoin the race in the same spot. Very similar to Vincenzo Nibali from the Veulta a Espana last year. Of course thats only a rumour.

Hey Roxxi,

Didn't a TO give a competitor q hard time for accepting assistance from a Shimano mechanic at Port in 2014??

Yeah an over zealous TO manning the sin bin tent was giving grief to the Shimano mechanics for "doing the work" the TO argued the competitor (nowhere near the pointy end) should be carrying out the work themselves.

Mr Shimanos comment was along the lines of "why the fluff are we here then" (although a lot firmer than that)

You will now notice the "sin bin" and Shimano tents are spaced well away from each other.

• Like 2

My old swimming coach (Baz) had two flats at Forster in 1999 and was riding the rim in for a DNF when he found a spare single by the side of the road. He stopped, put it on and cranked out a 9:50-something for a finish.

Is this Outside Assistance?

Also, what's the view on Chuckie V accepting a beer and a hamburger at Kona, back in the day?

My old swimming coach (Baz) had two flats at Forster in 1999 and was riding the rim in for a DNF when he found a spare single by the side of the road. He stopped, put it on and cranked out a 9:50-something for a finish.

Also, what's the view on Chuckie V accepting a beer and a hamburger at Kona, back in the day?

Na it's all good, AP found some salt tablets on the course. They saved his race & he got qualified for Kona.

Na it's all good, AP found some salt tablets on the course. They saved his race & he got qualified for Kona.

Yeh but AP had some tablets in his pocket

He was to tight to use them , but was happy to use some he found for Nuffin

Lol

Cheers

Ivp

That was me you tool. And I did a 12:05. Found them in the gutter. Suffering massive cramps.

Where's the evidence she had an IV? Or she was just dramaticising?

An IV is ordered by Doc, administered by a nurse. Once under Dr's orders, there's a medical record and she would have to be signed out.

Either she did not have the IV, or she was discharged and rejoined the race without anyone knowing she resumed. If no one picked up on that, she continued.

Which could be on the positive side, she was so far back, they let her continue. If she collapses it would depend on the medical record. The Dr. signed her out, but did not know she would rejoin the race.

Chrissie 'found' a co2 on the road during Kona one year that had mysteriously become 'dislodged' from Bek Keats bike, all on camera. Had no issues with TO's then.

Where's the evidence she had an IV? Or she was just dramaticising?

An IV is ordered by Doc, administered by a nurse. Once under Dr's orders, there's a medical record and she would have to be signed out.

Either she did not have the IV, or she was discharged and rejoined the race without anyone knowing she resumed. If no one picked up on that, she continued.

Which could be on the positive side, she was so far back, they let her continue. If she collapses it would depend on the medical record. The Dr. signed her out, but did not know she would rejoin the race.

As an expert in IV in the medical after IM I can tell you that , all details are taken of you when u enter the med tent. So offical would know she had been in (and out) of the tent

I'm 99% sure that if she did get an drip then she would not officially be aloud to continue and her chip would have been removed

This doesn't mean she didn't jump on the course out continue herself but if she did she would be a DNF

One would also wonder if she needed a drip that early in the race then you would wonder if she had enough brains (race nouse) to get through the Rest of the run without any incident

Cheers

Ivp

6 months suspension and it was at NZ if I remember correctly.

As an expert in IV in the medical after IM I can tell you that , all details are taken of you when u enter the med tent. So offical would know she had been in (and out) of the tent

I'm 99% sure that if she did get an drip then she would not officially be aloud to continue and her chip would have been removed

This doesn't mean she didn't jump on the course out continue herself but if she did she would be a DNF

One would also wonder if she needed a drip that early in the race then you would wonder if she had enough brains (race nouse) to get through the Rest of the run without any incident

Cheers

Ivp

That's my bet now. She didn't actually receive an IV, She may have been told to drink more and get an IV later if needed.

6 months suspension and it was at NZ if I remember correctly.

Beer and a hamburger during an IM, I'd take the 6 month suspension!

Chrissie 'found' a co2 on the road during Kona one year that had mysteriously become 'dislodged' from Bek Keats bike, all on camera. Had no issues with TO's then.

Possibly due to the rule about sportsmanship. A good TO knows to officiate on all rules, not just selected ones

Â

Possibly due to the rule about sportsmanship. Â A good TO knows to officiate on all rules, not just selected ones

There is no problem with a fellow competitors helping each other out

Nothing to see here

And Beac just gave the co2 to CW after CW stuffed the change and used her one and only co2

Nice stuff

• Like 1

Roth had a good take on "special needs" for the run. Not sure if it was a Challenge rule or not but supporters were prrmitted to hand you anything you needed either side of designated aid stations on the run. I didn't use it but it was good to see family etc being "involved" in helping loved ones and team mates in this kind of way. In my opinion, it added to the atmosphere and avoided the cofusion that sometimes occurs around special needs.

My own outside assistance grey area came in Roth when i crashed coming out of T1 and broke my front 808. They have spare wheels on course but the support bike was long gone when i needed it. After walking back to the mechanic and then heading to the drop out tent another competitor came up to me and literally dragged me over to his bike in transition. In broken english he indicated he was sick in the swim and was withdrawing and offerred me his front wheel. We arranged a place to meet after the race and off i went. After losing 25min i finished the race and then shouted him a mountain of beers after the race. True sportsmanship regardles!

• Like 4

Roth had a good take on "special needs" for the run. Not sure if it was a Challenge rule or not but supporters were prrmitted to hand you anything you needed either side of designated aid stations on the run. I didn't use it but it was good to see family etc being "involved" in helping loved ones and team mates in this kind of way. In my opinion, it added to the atmosphere and avoided the cofusion that sometimes occurs around special needs.

My own outside assistance grey area came in Roth when i crashed coming out of T1 and broke my front 808. They have spare wheels on course but the support bike was long gone when i needed it. After walking back to the mechanic and then heading to the drop out tent another competitor came up to me and literally dragged me over to his bike in transition. In broken english he indicated he was sick in the swim and was withdrawing and offerred me his front wheel. We arranged a place to meet after the race and off i went. After losing 25min i finished the race and then shouted him a mountain of beers after the race. True sportsmanship regardles!

Great stuff
  • Like 1