I had written Densham off after her tendonitis tweet.

I'm surprised.

OK, now I don't see it, but I'm positive it was there after Yokohama.

Unless I'm thinking about someone else who blew up on the run.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everybody knows that J Hayne will be the number 1 Aussie Triathlete in 2020! It's been his dream since forever.

More parental bragging   She got to interview a few female triathletes as well.   http://news.csu.edu.au/latest-news/charles-sturt-university/csu-students/real-life-education-for-csu-student-at-a

The idea appears to be that Jake will be the 'form man' in 4 years time. If you care to read my previous posts then it might give you some scope as the reasons why he 'may' not have been selected. In

OK, now I don't see it, but I'm positive it was there after Yokohama.

Unless I'm thinking about someone else who blew up on the run.

Yes i do remember reading about it, i think it was instagram photo.

Yep definitely gone.

Edited by AA7

Well I'm disappointed. Where's Peter? I thought he would have had it up at 10:25.

Forgive me. I haven't been into their thread in some time.

Good to see the selector continue to not pick the right athletes.

As this person posted.

Aero Cat Erin Densham?? WTS ranking of 57 and DNF'ed the Rio event in 2015. Surely Charlotte McShane (ranked #9) is far more deserving!

Oh well

18th and 20th of August we will find out.

What do people think will be a success for us?

I think it's possible for a

Men's Bronze (Gomez and Mola will go Gold and Silver)

Women's? (Bronze maybe)

18th and 20th of August we will find out.

What do people think will be a success for us?

I think it's possible for a

Men's Bronze (Gomez and Mola will go Gold and Silver)

Women's? (Bronze maybe)

Lucky for a couple in top 10 for men.

Outside chance of bronze is Ash can get it the front group of the bike.

Forgive me. I haven't been into their thread in some time.

Good to see the selector continue to not pick the right athletes.

As this person posted.

Oh well

They can't win. One year they pick solely on performances/ranking and people are cranky. This time they use some discretion and people are cranky.

;)

• Like 1

They can't win. One year they pick solely on performances/ranking and people are cranky. This time they use some discretion and people are cranky.

;)

They used their discretion last time and picked the wrong athlete.

They have used their discretion this time in the manner in which it should have been used last time (IMO) - give an Olympic medalist every chance to do it again.

BUT, I hope they have a better understanding of her medical issues than we have.

• Like 2

Spain and the USA are picking on Performance and I'll bet they get it right. As in get medals.

The only time we should pick on discretion should be when an athlete is form but couldn't get to the race for some reason. ie death in family or was actually sick on the qualifying day with a cold/fly etc..

It looks as though Jake is flying at the moment with his last 2 races, but could it be that some of the other international guns, having already booked their tickets to the games are part way through a cycle that will see them perform in August, and not now. Jake though had to be shining now to have even a glimmer of hope of going, and what would that have done to his prep for the actual race in Rio?

They used their discretion last time and picked the wrong athlete.

They have used their discretion this time in the manner in which it should have been used last time (IMO) - give an Olympic medalist every chance to do it again.

BUT, I hope they have a better understanding of her medical issues than we have.

That's why I think they didn't use their discretion last time. The team they picked last time included the 3 that had the best results/ranking during that selection period??? I'm not saying it was right or wrong, just want to argue with someone about something (sitting here wearing glasses for the first time and am cranky).

The team they picked last time included the 3 that had the best results/ranking during that selection period???

Are you making a statement or asking a question?

Go do some research you four eyed, bung kneed gumby!

(That will be $5 for the argument, thankyou)

• Like 1

Densham is an tough one, loyalty speaks volumes, but so does form......

The women's squad could well be the best looking women's team at the games, and one of the toughest!

McShane would be gutted.

As for the blokes, Royle will hopefully be placed in the sling shot to start the run by the others and the test will be to see how long he can hang on!

Are you making a statement or asking a question?

Go do some research you four eyed, bung kneed gumby!

(That will be $5 for the argument, thankyou)

I don't feel I've got my $5 yet :)

Can only see the end of season rankings, not different periods, say in June or whenever in 2012 the team was announced.

End of 2011 season, EJ ranked 4th, ES 13th

End of 2012 season, EJ ranked 26th, ES 73rd

EJ beat ES in about 3 of the big races (once the same time but EJ given higher place, at London EJ by 1 sec, and another by 30secs). Other races head to head they were one win each.

So, if they used no discretion and took it purely on rankings and performances, EJ would be selected ahead of ES.

Hence why I said they used no discretion at the previous Olympics.

Edited by goughy

Is the Rio coarse a runners race? If so why wouldn't they be picking a 30' runner in the men's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike has some technical sections huge potential for a break to stick.

All five Olympic teams chosen have had at least one discretionary pick.

In 2000 the two selection races saw Michelle Jones and Nicky Hackett win the automatic spits and a three way fight between former world champs carney, harrop and Gallagher in the CAS saw the CAS uphold the selectors decision decision to go with harrop - who was battling injury through the selection race. A top 10 finish in Sydney and a silver 4 years later vindicated the selectors decision. At the time the process was widely seen as highly controversial and destructive but in many ways it was one of the smoothest selection processes so far.

In 2004 the selectors set up a really weird process - an off season (for ITU athletes) Australian only two race series (Coffs harbour just before Xmas 2003 & Perth in February 2004) & requiring athletes to be on the shadow team to make any win count at either of these races count. It led to a bizzare situation where athletes who dominated during the itu year tanked in the end of year selection races and had to rely upon the discretionary pick to get selected. This odd system saw Rina Bradshaw - who finished a distant second behind Maxine Seers in the second race get the second automatic qualifier after Harrop won the first at Coffs Harbour. In turn this meant that Michelle - who was the real reigning Olympic champ, who won the Athens test event in a totally dominant performance and who placed third at the world championships - had to fight it out with the reigning world champ - Emma snowsill. Everybody knew it was going to be s controversial decision until the selectors decided to diffuse the controversy by selecting Seers! Brilliant!!

Beijing was pretty straight forward, but London was as controversial as Athens.

I am a big, nah, hugh fan of Erin Densham ... but she has been way off the pace for a very long time. Gillian and especially McShane have really been coming on. I know Erin is a Olympic medalist, but unlike snowsill in 2012 or jones & snowsill in 2004 there just isn't any sign that Erin is capable of turning this lack of form around in the next few months. If there is any injury concern Id say there is zero chance of that. In my view McShane was the obvious choice.

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 2

I would add that IMO the selectors have finally got the process right even if Erin's selection seems odd and the battle between Jake and Ryan could have gone either way.

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1

Lol.... Piss funny, a week after yokowhatever they finally select the team..... So what changed since the race, clearly not the bleeding obvious which was suggested way back and should have been picked.....

Do we hate athletes or the admin people just need the 15 seconds of fame so they leave the athletes hanging until they get selected. Really weird look at me power trip type thing.

Happy to stand corrected if I missed a race since Yokohama in the way back time machine..... But it's been over a week of indecision since the athletes completed what was asked of them in a discretionary selection process that puts the admins as first class citizens and the selected as second class citizens.

Let's hope this team does better than last one, the team that saw the snowsill non selection and the denial of the Australian people getting back to back gold in triathlon.

4 Olympics & Australian men yet to win a medal. I think TA's record speaks for itself.

I'd expect nothing less of TA than to leave the form man at home, the only bloke with the actual ability to pull out a medal winning performance. May TA's long tradition of success at the men's Olympic Triathlon continue. :wallbash:

• Like 1

Yes am surprised there is not more anger at the omission of Jake B. They've been crying about wanting someone who can run sub 30 for years, they've got someone who can do it almost guaranteed and they omit him.

• Like 1

Contrary to my ultimate views I can see merit in the argument about selecting Jake - he seems most likely to have the run leg to medal. The fact that he is equally likely to miss the selection out of the water is offset by the fact that he would have been the third pick and - following the logic behind Erin's selection - it would be worth selecting a wildcard to see what happens.

Of course I think that each of the three men selected - including Fisher - have awesome running potential in their own right and note that on the designated selection race on the GC in April Jake and Ryan effectively dead heated in their run splits. Sure Jake has hit some awesome form in the last fortnight but In the two selection races the selectors told athletes to bring their A game to Ryan had it all over Jake.

I think this is a decision where reasonable minds may differ - unlike the outrageous omissions from the women's team in 2004 and 2012 ...

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1

4 Olympics & Australian men yet to win a medal. I think TA's record speaks for itself.

I'd expect nothing less of TA than to leave the form man at home, the only bloke with the actual ability to pull out a medal winning performance. May TA's long tradition of success at the men's Olympic Triathlon continue. :wallbash:

The idea appears to be that Jake will be the 'form man' in 4 years time. If you care to read my previous posts then it might give you some scope as the reasons why he 'may' not have been selected. In my opinion, Jake is better off being hungry for the next four years, as he will be a medal contender in 2020, but he is not now. If Jake was indeed the form man, he would have got an automatic spot. Royle and Bailie claimed those. Frankly, your assertions are a bit off the mark.

You're also grossly underestimating the three men selected. Royle and Baile have huge potential, as well as Fisher. Aaron is a proven front pack performer time and time again. If there's one man to be up with Gomez, Brownlees et al, off the bike, it's him. Right now, we have three men that can be front pack, or close to it. All these men have great ability on the bike and run too. I believe this is the best scenario we can be in as a federation right now.

This is also nothing personal against Jake, I'm just saying it the way I see it. There's a lot of misdirected anger towards this decision, and while it's not my job to clarify it, I will do it anyway. If Jake is nurtured, not pressured, he will be there in 2020 to do the job.

• Like 3

If Jake is nurtured, not pressured, he will be there in 2020 to do the job.

Everybody knows that J Hayne will be the number 1 Aussie Triathlete in 2020!

It's been his dream since forever.

• Like 7

Ryan Fisher is 25. Birtwhistle is 21.

Jake has massive upside to come. His running pedigree is far superior to any of the other Aussie boys. Until he committed to Triathlon he was spent his junior years as the best T&F runner in his age group. While still doing triathlon. JB is a freak show runner & still a few years off his peak.

He could've stayed in track & field & gone on to represent his country there. He has the 2nd fastest under 18 5km in Australian T&F history. Zatopek u20 3k titles. Tasmanian distance records across the board, Aus champion over 1500 & 3km multiple time through his junior years. The kid will be one of the dominant if not THE dominant triathlete in world cups within the next few years. He may take 10km run splits into territory never seen before. He ran 29.45 OTB in Japan last week. 10 secs off Mola' split. 29.45 OTB & apparently he's not worth a spot in the OG triathlon. He IS the only Australian capable of pulling out a medal winning run on the day. His form is great, he's on an upward curve. I can see the merits of holding him back but the fact his he hasn't been heavily raced over the last few years & he is talented enough to do something special in RIO. Royle & Baillie earnt their spots. Jake would've been a great bet for the 3rd spot. I wish the other boys luck but just cant see the potential for a medal.

A very run related post there. It is triathlon, Mo Farah wouldn't win the triathlon in Rio!!

Isn't he banned?

Olympic gold medalist Mo Farah has admitted he's taken a drug that contains substances currently banned by the world athletics doping chiefs.
in a new TV admission, long distance runner Mo reveales he tried a Class C drug in Somalia, a leafy plant called Khat or Qaat, that acts as a stimulant when chewed.

Mo took the drug in August 2003

How many countries put in a team for triathlon at the Olympics.

Lets assume 50.

Therefore 50 x 3 = 150.

Why aren't there at least 5 people per team. (5 x 50 = 250)

Realistically there may be only 30 countries putting forward a team (30 x 5 = 150)

How many times have you done a race and there is less than 250 in your wave. Most Ironmans have 1500 in a wave!! (disclaimer - prior to rolling start).

Lets assume 50.

Therefore 50 x 3 = 150.

Realistically there may be only 30 countries putting forward a team (30 x 5 = 150)

How many times have you done a race and there is less than 250 in your wave. Most Ironmans have 1500 in a wave!! (disclaimer - prior to rolling start).

Limited spots as per Olympic rules. They need to limit the total number of athletes in the games to control the budget. For Triathlon then they have rules set up to say that countries have a limit of 3 based on a qualification process. Then other countries can only have 2 and then they also allow developing countries to have 1.

They are doing the same with golf. I think they have limited that field to 60 and only a max of 4 from the USA. Then for the other countries it depends on how many golfers they have in the top 60. I think we get 2 spots and Jason Day has 1. Adam Scott and Mark Leishman have pulled out so I am not sure who will take the 2nd spot. Greg Norman :-)

Lets assume 50.

Therefore 50 x 3 = 150.

Have to ask, are you trolling?

Yeah, well said. No hiding of the disappointment but no bitterness either. Is he only 21? Don't wanna jinx him but he might have a big future ahead of him if he's showing these results already.