• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everybody knows that J Hayne will be the number 1 Aussie Triathlete in 2020! It's been his dream since forever.

More parental bragging   She got to interview a few female triathletes as well.   http://news.csu.edu.au/latest-news/charles-sturt-university/csu-students/real-life-education-for-csu-student-at-a

The idea appears to be that Jake will be the 'form man' in 4 years time. If you care to read my previous posts then it might give you some scope as the reasons why he 'may' not have been selected. In

Birtwhistle didnt even race the u/23 aus champs the week before/quote]

Just reporting what was said on jakes out bio page ..

Nah Mate, unless you looking at something from years ago? He never came down to that race. I think TA and organisers were using his name prior to the event in their previews but he was never going to be there. Wasn't ever on the start list.

Nah Mate, unless you looking at something from years ago? He never came down to that race. I think TA and organisers were using his name prior to the event in their previews but he was never going to be there. Wasn't ever on the start list.

Go onto the itu website and click on Jakes bio - it's under 'recent results' - has split times and everything. It did seem odd to me frankly, cause it was only the week before the Oceania senior champs on the same course, but it's listed (or at least it was yesterday)

Edited by Andrew #1

Birtwhistle didnt even race the u/23 aus champs the week before Gisborne so wasnt actualy Beat by an unknown..

The last 12 months jake has had 4 top 11 wts performances, Fisher 1. The fact that at only 20 for the first 2 and now 21 for the second 2 he has a great career ahead of him he deserves the spot in my mind. Selectors really should give him a go, if he doesn't make the swim and cant ride himself up so what, he will be like Mola 4 years ago. Tokyo is 4 years away lets give him the experience. Fisher has shown in the Olympic selection period, which for him has been a lot more years than for Jake, that more often than not he goes backwards once on the run anyway. Let the Olympic rankings do the talking, in only one year Jake is ahead of Fisher.

You raise some good points, but history tells us that the 'experience' card doesn't always work in an athletes favor. I think something like this should be totally irrelevant when selecting an Olympic team, it should be based purely on results. If Jake's 4th place is good enough to be selected for the team, then that needs to be the only consideration. In my opinion, selecting an athlete for experience only raises the athletes expectations in the intermittent years, and the inward and outward pressure for a steady linear improvement over four years can sometimes be too great. Jake is of course extremely talented and has what it takes to be one of the best, but he doesn't need the pressure of how great he 'could' be in four years hanging over him. A lot can happen in this time.

You raise some good points, but history tells us that the 'experience' card doesn't always work in an athletes favor. I think something like this should be totally irrelevant when selecting an Olympic team, it should be based purely on results. If Jake's 4th place is good enough to be selected for the team, then that needs to be the only consideration. In my opinion, selecting an athlete for experience only raises the athletes expectations in the intermittent years, and the inward and outward pressure for a steady linear improvement over four years can sometimes be too great. Jake is of course extremely talented and has what it takes to be one of the best, but he doesn't need the pressure of how great he 'could' be in four years hanging over him. A lot can happen in this time.

Agree with bergs. You don't send someone to the olympics for experience. WTS races, yes. Not the olympics. Emma Jackson anyone? Maxine Seers?? Picked over Michelle and Snowsill respectively. Disaster.

If selectors decide to take the risk on Jake (and that risk really boils down to his chances of getting out of the water and onto the bike with the lead bunch) then it could pay dividends & Jake will be the better for the experience - which would be a bonus, but should not be a reason for selection. The same could be said for all of our male contenders. They are all relative youngsters & whoever goes will benefit from the experience.

• Like 1

Totally agree with bergs and andrew. Oick the best 3 athletes regardless of age. Its the Olympics. Also agree with Andrew about Emma Jackson. For whatever reason she hasn't really come on over the last four years. Don't waste the opportunity for someone to do something special just to give someone experience. If they are good enough, pick them.

How's Ash feeling burgs? You caught up with her yet?

She's feeling good but she needs the reassurance.

She's loaded the bullets and fired the gun. Surely it has to happen!

• Like 1

She's feeling good but she needs the reassurance.

She's loaded the bullets and fired the gun. Surely it has to happen!

Nah, the blazer wearers will let it hang for another month before making the call. Like Bernie Sanders supporters they are still looking for a way of picking 'the chosen one' over the form athletes (I'm not suggesting that Ash resembles Hilary btw).

You raise some good points, but history tells us that the 'experience' card doesn't always work in an athletes favor. I think something like this should be totally irrelevant when selecting an Olympic team, it should be based purely on results.

Ok, I bet I'm gonna get shot for this :) , but others brought the past up again. Which results count? The last 4 years, the last 2 years? Only those since points for Olympic selection have been accruing? I'd agree, take the question marks out of it and the best 3 based on results go. Just like other events.

But at what point do we stop looking backwards? I mean, during the selection period hadn't EJ had better performances, including beating ES by one place at London?

So should they just be purely looking at current results in the selection period, and if yes, then wouldn't there be an argument that they've done that in the past and we've (I'm saying royal we, not necessarily everybody) been unhappy with that. It probably hasn't helped TA that they've used their discretion in the past and left people scratching their heads.

Edited by goughy

Nah, the blazer wearers will let it hang for another month before making the call. Like Bernie Sanders supporters they are still looking for a way of picking 'the chosen one' over the form athletes (I'm not suggesting that Ash resembles Hilary btw).

You know, I don't think this time around there is a 'chosen one' option. I think a window period, and the top 3 at the end of that period go. If someone things they should have gone instead, then they should have put up the results during that period. But it has to finish early enough for them to recover and prep properly and not have the stress of wondering too close to the games.

Agree with bergs. You don't send someone to the olympics for experience. WTS races, yes. Not the olympics. Emma Jackson anyone? Maxine Seers?? Picked over Michelle and Snowsill respectively. Disaster.

Didn't GB try this with a female athlete in London? I forget who it was but the idea was to gain some grounding for the next Olympics. Was it Vicky Holland?

Well if they go on top wts results over the 4 yr period Jake has collected in only his one year a 4th, 2x9ths and an 11th which is 3 top ten results. Fisher a 5th is his only top 10 wts in 2 yrs. Jake has a higher ranking of olympic points also. Therefore shouldn't Jake be in?, discretion could mean they don't choose on qualifying points and he misses out though.

When do we find out?

Josh does Ash know when we the public find out?

Edited by beaten

Â

Didn't GB try this with a female athlete in London? Â I forget who it was but the idea was to gain some grounding for the next Olympics. Was it Vicky Holland?

I believe it was Lucy Hall

Well if they go on top wts results over the 4 yr period Jake has collected in only his one year a 4th, 2x9ths and an 11th which is 3 top ten results. Fisher a 5th is his only top 10 wts in 2 yrs. Jake has a higher ranking of olympic points also. Therefore shouldn't Jake be in?, discretion could mean they don't choose on qualifying points and he misses out though.

When do we find out?

Josh does Ash know when we the public find out?

Statistics isn't what will get an athlete selected. Something to consider; Ryan beat Jake on the highest rated selection event this year, being Gold Coast. Unfortunately for Ryan he was only the 2nd Aussie in the top 10, meaning he missed the automatic spot to Ryan Bailie. But Jake was outside the top 10. I can only speculate, but something like this may be taken into consideration more than races where no automatic selection was attached.

I'm not exactly sure when a public announcement is made sorry.

nah Jake was inside the top 10. 9th comes before 10th.

I thought the story went that Lucy Hall was selected as a domestic in 2012. Didn't do a great job of it though as was too fast for the other brits in the swim and bike.

What would the chances be that TA may overlook the next inform athlete and select a domestic for Ash? She appears to be the most likely female medal prospect at this stage if she can get off the run with the front pack without having to have blown herself up getting there.

0%.

Ash just has to find ~1.5 sec/100 to be, at worst, just off the back of pack 1, instead of mid pack 2.

Her bike is obviously up to it.

Her run is close to everyone but Gwen.

What would the chances be that TA may overlook the next inform athlete and select a domestic for Ash? She appears to be the most likely female medal prospect at this stage if she can get off the run with the front pack without having to have blown herself up getting there.

I think this scenario should be considered, but the problem is that no woman has proven they are fit for the role. So considering this, it would be unfair for another athlete to miss out on a genuine spot because of some domestique fantasy.

• Like 2

0%.

Ash just has to find ~1.5 sec/100 to be, at worst, just off the back of pack 1, instead of mid pack 2.

I wouldn't right Ash off v Gwen in the run, when you consider the amount of work Ash does making ground up on the bike .

Ash has to be a certainty ...Smash it Ash !!!

0%.

How easy is it to find that 1 sec per 100m and why hasn't she found it already. ? Or do you mean just get a better swim in terms of finding a good group etc. .

How easy is it to find that 1 sec per 100m and why hasn't she found it already. ? Or do you mean just get a better swim in terms of finding a good group etc. .

Hey, I just said what she "needs" to do.

I have NFI "how" :D

There are pom's that can run and Spirig can run+ Sutton has a pretty good habbit of females performing in huge races (and if its not him then its athletes coached by coaches who coached under him or were coached by him)- These are where the threats are for Gwen

There are pom's that can run and Spirig can run+ Sutton has a pretty good habbit of females performing in huge races (and if its not him then its athletes coached by coaches who coached under him or were coached by him)- These are where the threats are for Gwen

If some of the next best runners can get away on the bike, Gwen will have a hard time chasing them down. Just like Gold Coast a month ago.

Hey Burgs, actually there's one fantastic domestique for Ash (or rather Ash is her domestique), or maybe call it a likely alliance in Rio, and that's one reason (she deserves it anyway) that I think TA must choose Ashley for the team. That person is Nicola Spirig. Those two girls driving the 2nd (or 3rd) pack means they'll catch up twice as fast to the first pack (if they do) and improves the chances of podiums of both Ash and Nicola.

As a Swiss living in Australia, I was hoping Ash would do well in Yokohama (plus I root for her anyway).

For the men, I think it depends how TA view the last spot on the team. Ryan could be selected as he's more likely to race in proximity of Bailie and Royle, and serve as a quasi domestique in this case (strength in numbers at the front). But I still think I'd select Jake, there's the crazy possibility of a podium from him if race circumstances perfectly align (but a very long shot). And he's the future of ITU triathlon for Australia (along with Matt Hauser).

Hey Burgs, actually there's one fantastic domestique for Ash (or rather Ash is her domestique), or maybe call it a likely alliance in Rio, and that's one reason (she deserves it anyway) that I think TA must choose Ashley for the team. That person is Nicola Spirig. Those two girls driving the 2nd (or 3rd) pack means they'll catch up twice as fast to the first pack (if they do) and improves the chances of podiums of both Ash and Nicola.

As a Swiss living in Australia, I was hoping Ash would do well in Yokohama (plus I root for her anyway).

Let's hope that Nicola is fit and ready to go in Rio. I saw a picture of her hand after Mallorca 70.3 and it looked like it was the size of a balloon.

Edited by hey_burgs

I alluded to this before, but who is Marcel Walkington? He's our Oceania champ - in both the open division and U23 - handily beating out men's team in the senior race, but not only have I not heard of him, he hasn't featured in the selection races or wts races either. ...

Edited by Andrew #1

http://www.vis.org.au/athletes-sports/athletes/marcel-walkington/

Still making his way to the top level after a bit of an injury interruption.

https://twitter.com/DanielleStefano/status/554043138868649984

Been a long road back from injury but good to see the big man @WalkingMarcel start 2015 on a good note with a win this morn at #GatoradeTri

Edited by Tyno

Oceanias wasn't exactly a normal race, the goal was get an Aus athlete (other than Royle) away on the bike and stop the nz athletes from getting up there. This would guarantee the 3rd spot for Aus if for some reason Fisher and Birtwhistle lost Olympic rankings over the next few wts races. Royle Walkington and Roberts, all Aus were first out on bike and every other Aus from there on looked to be trying to slow the chase pack down. there was a lot of between country shouting,(tweets from onlookers were good fun value) but they were able to get the front 3 a massive lead. the race for others only started once they racked their bikes now minutes down and nz safely back with them. Marcel has had a few other races since then if you want to look up his results.

Edited by beaten