Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 10/02/2021 at 10:51 AM, Naut said:

Yeah I really don't know what to expect, except that it goes up Arthur's Seat. The ground will be hard because it's summer, but I don't know if it will be covered in gravel. I am also not sure if it is narrow and twisty or more open. I am going to be on road shoes so i will just go in open to whatever happens.

Road shoes will be fine, tracks are mostly open fire breaks, mix of hard gravel, grass and a few bits on unsealed roads.  You start and finish from memory on a horse track next to the main road until you hit the first fire break, from there on overtaking etc is no real issue.  

Less than half the field a few years ago did the beers throughout the course, most waited until they finished, so don't feel you need to get caught up in the hype there - still plenty of 'serious' trail runners as well as some people not seeing beyond the word beer.

The Arthurs seat ascent I believe is more to the side than 2 bays, more over towards the gardens unless the course has changed in the last 2 years.

Enjoy the finish line

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Currently sitting in my hotel room in the Pyrenees before volunteer duties start while Mrs L races along the Spanish and Andorran Pyrenees for 7 days in the Pyrenees Stage Race. Love the mountains of

In for Dragons Back 2021.  Gawd help me.

Did a self supported 50 miler on the Great North Walk last week, chose a pretty technical section that mirrors one of the GNW Ultra courses.. cranked out in 14 hours and home for dinner with the kids.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Road shoes will be fine, tracks are mostly open fire breaks, mix of hard gravel, grass and a few bits on unsealed roads.  You start and finish from memory on a horse track next to the main road until you hit the first fire break, from there on overtaking etc is no real issue.  

Less than half the field a few years ago did the beers throughout the course, most waited until they finished, so don't feel you need to get caught up in the hype there - still plenty of 'serious' trail runners as well as some people not seeing beyond the word beer.

The Arthurs seat ascent I believe is more to the side than 2 bays, more over towards the gardens unless the course has changed in the last 2 years.

Enjoy the finish line

Brilliant, really appreciate the info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I’ve just been looking into some of the last one standing races. Golly gosh! That would be brutal! And so many questions about how to go about them. 

It must be done.....maybe next year. 

Edited by Kenneth
Typo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I have my big one coming up on Saturday, the SDW100 miler.  Prep has not gone well with a knee  injury and since Sunday have had some recurring PF in my left heel which is a worry.

But I'll front up at the start line.  Tracker is here. (empty right now of course) and my bib number is: 385

https://live.centurionrunning.com/SDW100-2021/?mc_cid=619807464f&mc_eid=9d8cef278e

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I have my big one coming up on Saturday, the SDW100 miler.  Prep has not gone well with a knee  injury and since Sunday have had some recurring PF in my left heel which is a worry.

But I'll front up at the start line.  Tracker is here. (empty right now of course) and my bib number is: 385

https://live.centurionrunning.com/SDW100-2021/?mc_cid=619807464f&mc_eid=9d8cef278e

 

FP, good luck for the weekend. Is this the same course as run by the Royal Marines for the 1664 challenge?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iFoz said:

FP, good luck for the weekend. Is this the same course as run by the Royal Marines for the 1664 challenge?

Thanks All, 

IFoz, I had not heard of the 1664 Challenge but looked it up. Ver similar route except my SDW100 starts at Metterly Bowl, which is about 8km into the SDW.  Reason for this is parking etc, so we run a 8km loop of the Bowl (which is like a giant private park) before hitting SDW.

After that, it looks like the only difference is the 1664 finishes at Beachy Head via 7 Sisters (the classic white cliffs and red and white striped lighthouse) but SDW100 finishes in Eastbourne via Jevington.

I think that makes 1664 a few km longer than mine but the vast majority is the same.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flathead said:

Looks like FP has pulled out after 13 hours. 🙁

Seems there are quite a lot of DNFs. Dont know if this is typical for a 100 miler.

 

Yes mate, sorry to say a DNF for me 😢. I had two injuries in the recent prep for this race. At Easter a rear of quad/back of knee injury and more recently some horrible plantar faciatis in my left heel.  I though, if anything, one of these two things could end my race but turns out it was something different again.

I started well enough, taking it easy, ran with a friend from TTUK but had only met him f2f that morning.  We had a pact to both go our own pace and once that didn't match, we would split. (he's a multiple UTMBer).  So we had a 90 min window to start but you still get the same overall time of 30hrs to complete. We started at 4.50am.

It was forecast to be very hot (by Pommies std), pretty cloudless and a light breeze, which was not what anyone wanted really.  I don't know what the temp was max but I'd say it nudged 27/28C.  We were walking all the hills right from the start and just trotting at a very easy pace.

At this end of the SDW there is a lot more tree cover but weather was not an issue as the morning had started cooler.  We got about 40km in and I knew I was holding my mate back, so after the aid station there I said for him to go which he did.

My left heel had been a bit troublesome but ok.  I was managing the heat well by now and was on top of my hydration, had an extra bottle if needed, salt tabs, electrolyte etc and also had a 'cool towel' i was wearing under my hat.  At this point though some folks were suffering in the heat.

After a very long climb out of that aid station the SDW opens up a lot. I was starting to get some hip in both hips, I've had this before not for well over a year, maybe two and was not expecting any trouble from my hips!  It was worse on the right side which was making my favour my left side more, which in turn made my PF pain in heel worse.

But overall, I was ticking along, jogging easy and walking and with the heat, on the flat, I adopted a 'run the shady bits, strategy.  I'd heard people were already DNFing due to heat at aid stations.

I was going ok but my hip pain meant I was not picking up my feet as I would have liked and I also was thinking about walking more until the evening, when it would be cooler but at this point, it was only 2pm and it would not cool down for eat least another 6hrs.

By now, we were into some of the big climbs on SDW and they are very exposed.  I reached a major aid at about 61km in, and there were loads of folks that had pulled and waiting for lifts. I carried on.

My hips were a real worry now but ticked along, stopped to lube my feet some more and reapply some suncream.  About 67km in, there was a very major climb, people had been passing me left right and ctr for a few hrs now but I just walked the hill.

At some point I stopped to stretch my back a bit and when I got going, I collapsed on the grounds in pain from my right hip.  there was nobody around but a farmer i a tractor saw me and came over to help me up.

Then two runners came and supported me and we got to the top of the hill and I was in that horrible place where you know your race is done but are still trying to salvage it.  It took me an hour to do the next 1.5km and I reached a 'crew point', where some kind people gave me a lift in their van to the next aid station, where I pulled along with 6 others there.

We got in the sag van that had to go the next station and then to the finish (it did multiple rounds of this.  I was pretty gutted but pretty proud of how I handled the heat, as by far, that was what was causing most DNFs.

At the finish, the top 20. runners were coming in. (winner was 15.30!).  My watch said 69km for me in 12hrs but I think the 13hrs is coming from having to wait at the crew point and then getting to aid station, where the turned the tracker off.

We were not allowed to sleep, or really hang around much at the finish, just have as much food and drink as you need and move on (it was a sports ctr with strict rules).  I had a shuttle bus booked for midday Sunday after cut off but that meant 14hrs of hanging around with nowhere to go and all the hotels were booked out.

So me and another guy that needed to get back to Winchester shared a cab, £80 each but worth it to in my bed. I was home by 2.15am.

I can't take any positives yet, it's all too raw and we are going for a family breakfast.

Looks like my mate also DNFd.  :(

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2021 at 1:27 AM, flathead said:

Looks like FP has pulled out after 13 hours. 🙁

Seems there are quite a lot of DNFs. Dont know if this is typical for a 100 miler.

 

Looking at the numbers, there were 133 DNFs out of 442 starters. 

Edited by FatPom
Link to post
Share on other sites

Take it in time Ian. I have always said that getting to the start line of an endurance event is always the tough bit. I know that a Dnf can feel worse.

Have a look at Carl Read on YouTube.  

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flanman said:

Take it in time Ian. I have always said that getting to the start line of an endurance event is always the tough bit. I know that a Dnf can feel worse.

Have a look at Carl Read on YouTube.  

FM

Cheers Mick,  I know logically, there will be loads of positives, just need to get past the mental disappointment at the moment but I know it won't last long. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2021 at 6:00 PM, FatPom said:

Cheers Mick,  I know logically, there will be loads of positives, just need to get past the mental disappointment at the moment but I know it won't last long. 👍

Running 69km is a huge achievement in anyone's books.  Some people think about doing stuff, while you are out there actually doing it.  Not every event is going to turn out well, but that's part of the adventure.

It's my aim to do a 50km Trail Run.  Not sure if I'll ever manage to run that far.  69km sounds SO far.

Hopefully you stopped early enough to limit any significant damage.  Looking forward to hearing about your next epic adventure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rob said:

Running 69km is a huge achievement in anyone's books.  Some people think about doing stuff, while you are out there actually doing it.  Not every event is going to turn out well, but that's part of the adventure.

It's my aim to do a 50km Trail Run.  Not sure if I'll ever manage to run that far.  69km sounds SO far.

Hopefully you stopped early enough to limit any significant damage.  Looking forward to hearing about your next epic adventure.

Thanks Rob, appreciate that mate.  My best so far is 88kms at Race to the King in 2019 (which was the course distance).

I hope  I have the mental fortitude for 100 miles, just got to make sure the body is working.  Next caper is 'Endure24' on Jul 23rs. I've entered as a solo but will see how the day goes, we've hired a motorhome for it.

https://endure24.co.uk/

The gold std for a solo is to clock 100 miles, can't see that happening for me but hopefull a fun weekend.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done on getting out there and giving it a go, Ian.

I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but 100 milers are such a different beast to something like ironman. It's all too "easy" when having a bad day in ironman to just back off and cruise it home within the 17 hours. Walk most or all of the marathon, avoiding injury, collecting a medal and throwing it in the bottom of your sock drawer.

There's a much larger potential for big problems in a 'miler', and those problems are way more likely to materialise much further from home. You can't just walk it in for 80 or 100km. You don't have the luxury of time, and even if you did, walking for so far and so long is likely to badly exacerbate injuries or expose you for extensive durations in potentially perilous conditions.

There's every possibility this won't be your last DNF in a miler. But that's a part of what makes their challenge so alluring.

If the training wasn't demanding, if the race wasn't difficult, if that confluence of mind, body, spirit, race day conditions and navigation wasn't so elusive, that finish line wouldn't be nearly as sweetly rewarding.

Hang in there. Keep working. That day will be yours. And it will be worth it. :) 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out my wife is not a bad runner.  She had the women's FKT until Lucy Bartholomew knocked an hour and a bit off. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-24/west-macs-monster-ultramarathon-winner-elizabeth-woodgate/100160568

Yeah, pretty proud of her.  At 57, knocking of the boys and starting less than a week after doing her 13th UTA 100.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lawman said:

Turns out my wife is not a bad runner.  She had the women's FKT until Lucy Bartholomew knocked an hour and a bit off. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-24/west-macs-monster-ultramarathon-winner-elizabeth-woodgate/100160568

Yeah, pretty proud of her.  At 57, knocking of the boys and starting less than a week after doing her 13th UTA 100.

 

What an excellent read and very useful info in there. Congrats to your wife Lawman.👏

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...