Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So all the training is done and it's taper time.  2 weeks to race day - what have I done! 

other than a pilates inflicted injury which was quickly resolved by virtue of the fact I have an inhouse osteo 😀 I've had a great prep.  Longest run timewise was 3 hours - but that was because I took a wrong turn and spent half an our or so crawling through lantana and over rocks trying to refind a trail, or any trail!.  Nothing more frustrating than the phone map saying the trail  is just 50 meters "over there" but there's a vertical cliff face and/or prickly vines in between 😆 Eventually escaped! 

My final long run was 21.5 km for 2 and half hours and 450 vertical.  Not as much vertical as the race so expect to complete it in closer to 3 hours.  Over the last few months I've run every bit of the race course so have an excellent idea of what to expect.  Problem is I also know how absolutely horrible some sections are going to be.  After crawling up one particular trail (named Kokoda) I went and got myself a set of trekking poles - chosen as a result of recommendations on this thread - how awesome are poles!  repeated Kokoda and the reduced strain on calves and quads was awesome - I was still practically dead at the top, but my legs felt heaps better 😆

Race report hopefully to follow in 2 weeks.  Just have to get through taper.... and the run - not sure which is worse.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Currently sitting in my hotel room in the Pyrenees before volunteer duties start while Mrs L races along the Spanish and Andorran Pyrenees for 7 days in the Pyrenees Stage Race. Love the mountains of

Just saw Tyno's post from a while back.  Trying to waste a bit of time while I wait  to get out the front door for Easter.. My wife Liz got an invite and is enterred. Currently doing a 100k

Paperman, my advice for a first-timer: Walk anything which even looks like a hill. Conserve energy that can be better utilised later in the race. Walk strongly with purpose. Don't trash your legs on

Posted Images

Great stuff Cat Lady, I'm sure you'll do well, you sound very prepared.

I have deferred my Arc of Attrition 50 miler to 2022,  basically because with more restrictions coming they can't provide (or at least guarantee) that they will have access to to village halls for aid stations.

This means supplying your own crew and heating any water/food from the back of the crew car.  First problem for me is I wouldn't have a crew and if I did, asking them to do that in Cornwall in winter would too much expectation.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

So all the training is done and it's taper time.  2 weeks to race day - what have I done! 

other than a pilates inflicted injury which was quickly resolved by virtue of the fact I have an inhouse osteo 😀 I've had a great prep.  Longest run timewise was 3 hours - but that was because I took a wrong turn and spent half an our or so crawling through lantana and over rocks trying to refind a trail, or any trail!.  Nothing more frustrating than the phone map saying the trail  is just 50 meters "over there" but there's a vertical cliff face and/or prickly vines in between 😆 Eventually escaped! 

My final long run was 21.5 km for 2 and half hours and 450 vertical.  Not as much vertical as the race so expect to complete it in closer to 3 hours.  Over the last few months I've run every bit of the race course so have an excellent idea of what to expect.  Problem is I also know how absolutely horrible some sections are going to be.  After crawling up one particular trail (named Kokoda) I went and got myself a set of trekking poles - chosen as a result of recommendations on this thread - how awesome are poles!  repeated Kokoda and the reduced strain on calves and quads was awesome - I was still practically dead at the top, but my legs felt heaps better 😆

Race report hopefully to follow in 2 weeks.  Just have to get through taper.... and the run - not sure which is worse.

Have a brilliant race day! Looking forward to your race report 😊

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

.. After crawling up one particular trail (named Kokoda) I went and got myself a set of trekking poles - chosen as a result of recommendations on this thread - how awesome are poles! ...

My wife is good at using poles.

Me, I don't have the coordination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rob said:

My wife is good at using poles.

Me, I don't have the coordination.

I am the original klutz yet found it pretty easy to adapt. I've put maybe 5-6 hours in using them and I've only semi - tripped myself once when a bush turkey raced in front of me putting me off kilter and stride.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I am totally impressed/amazed and slightly concerned. That's hardcore mileage at this age. 

Same here. Not sure if I should be impressed or concerned.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit, help me Jeebus!!

Good news, a place has become available in the Dragon’s Back Race 2021 and as you are top of the waiting list we have sent you an invitation to join the event.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Holy shit, help me Jeebus!!

Good news, a place has become available in the Dragon’s Back Race 2021 and as you are top of the waiting list we have sent you an invitation to join the event.

 

 

 

Thats very exciting FP, a very specific training regime with a focus on core strength, proprioception, running poles etc?  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Thats very exciting FP, a very specific training regime with a focus on core strength, proprioception, running poles etc?  

 

Haven't thought that far ahead. Also just realised that next year's edition is 6 days, 383km and 17,400 mtrs of vert.  How do I train for that? 😧

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FatPom said:

Haven't thought that far ahead. Also just realised that next year's edition is 6 days, 383km and 17,400 mtrs of vert.  How do I train for that? 😧

That looks proper hard 😄  Just looking at the video there are some scary segments in there that you wouldn't want to be doing unless you're on your game.  It's not just the multiple days backing up you've got to train for (and look after your feet), it's the technical side - some of those rock scrambling sections remind me of Celtman and there are massive time gains for those that are practiced at it, and similar time losses for those that weren't (that was me!).  There is literally nothing around here for example that comes close so hopefully you have some challenging terrain close to home. Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FatPom said:

Haven't thought that far ahead. Also just realised that next year's edition is 6 days, 383km and 17,400 mtrs of vert.  How do I train for that? 😧

I am not sure this is the right thread FP. I saw little in that video that resembled an actual trail :D

And.... good luck! Fully mad, heaps of suffering - should be great :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Truck and Dazaau.  It will be hard for sure. There isn't anything local to me but my sister lives in Wales (closer to the end of the course), so a couple of recce weekends will be a must.

North Wales is about 4.5hrs drive from where I live and Cardiff is about 2.5, so not too bad. Also, the Lake District is 4-5hrs away, which has similar terrain and more family friendly for days away.

The main issues I was thing of overnight were.

Will my back handle it?  (not only the course but the camping).

Will 2022 be in Sept like next year or move back to June. (Sept means getting up in the dark, first hour in dark and definitely finishing in dark)

If 2022 is back to June, I may defer, which is an option for me. (I know it will be heaps hotter).

That added 6th day could well be the tipping point. Do I want to enter and see how far I get?

Do I REALLY REALLY want to do it?  I have until Friday to decide.

There is another film here which shows the race a bit better overall.

 

Edited by FatPom
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the cold light of day and away from the initial euphoria, I think I’m going to take the 2022 option, reasons being:

This is not ultra running, it’s mountain running and I have none of that experience.

The fitness of those not making cut off is already higher than mine.
I either glossed of over, or failed to realise the impact of the 6th added day.

It gives me more time to recce, post travel restrictions and gives me more time to build experience.

Sept will still be hard but by then I will have Wendover Woods and Arc under my belt for winter running.

Hopefully sharing a tent will be a lot safer in 2022 than it is is 2021.

It gives me a year to work out if I really want it enough.

It’s not something I can ‘wing’ and I’m not going there to fail.

Thoughts? (apart from being a piker ! )

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2022 is a great option FP, as you say youll have 2 other events that you trained for & finished in your body so your strength  & fitness will be there. Plus IMO youll have seen your weaknesses in training  know what needs work.  Maybe get in touch with a mountain running group & learn all you can from them. You could do some of their runs/training weekends as well?

Maybe have plan A & plan B & be happy to go with plan B when youre out there & know you wont make a cut off or you back calls time?  

Im looking forward to reading all about it ☺

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FatPom said:

In the cold light of day and away from the initial euphoria, I think I’m going to take the 2022 option, reasons being:

This is not ultra running, it’s mountain running and I have none of that experience.

The fitness of those not making cut off is already higher than mine.
I either glossed of over, or failed to realise the impact of the 6th added day.

It gives me more time to recce, post travel restrictions and gives me more time to build experience.

Sept will still be hard but by then I will have Wendover Woods and Arc under my belt for winter running.

Hopefully sharing a tent will be a lot safer in 2022 than it is is 2021.

It gives me a year to work out if I really want it enough.

It’s not something I can ‘wing’ and I’m not going there to fail.

Thoughts? (apart from being a piker ! )

2022 sounds good/wise. This doesn't look like the kind of event you want to rush preparation for, and there is probably a reason it is usually held in June not September. I think if you really want to do it, it will motivate you to train for the next 18 months and you'll show up and finish well.

I don't think I could do multi day running events. Brutal on the body. most races I struggle to walk properly the next few days ha ha.

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bosco said:

FP, 2022 is so far away- do it now. You know you want to - I could hear the excitement in your strokes.....what an epic adventure it would be! 

I am really excited but I need to be realistic. Strangely, I just watched this film with John Kelly, about 18mins in he describes that 'zone' where you need to make sure that you are entering something you 'might' finish, rather than something you know you can, or can't.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bosco said:

FP, 2022 is so far away- do it now. You know you want to - I could hear the excitement in your strokes.....what an epic adventure it would be! 

Normally I'm a bit 'f**k it yeah, let's roll the dice' but this is just too big and too expensive to not respect fully.

Forgot to mention, the 2022 edition will be in Sept also. Bugger 😁

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Normally I'm a bit 'f**k it yeah, let's roll the dice' but this is just too big and too expensive to not respect fully.

Forgot to mention, the 2022 edition will be in Sept also. Bugger 😁

Me too - has always worked out up to now 😄 but this one is a bit hard to 'wing it'!  Everyone's different but I'd be looking to build to 8hr walk/hike/run days on both a Sat and Sun, lots and lots of hills with some technical stuff and getting used to multiple back to back run days on tired legs over at least 4-6months to be mentally prepared.  If I couldn't get to that point for 2021 I'd be deferring.  My longest trail run has been 53k's with 2200m of climbing/descending and I thought I was reasonably fit going into that but no way could I have backed up the next day.  And forget any thoughts on material bike riding during that time if you want to recover properly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FatPom said:

Normally I'm a bit 'f**k it yeah, let's roll the dice' but this is just too big and too expensive to not respect fully.

Forgot to mention, the 2022 edition will be in Sept also. Bugger 😁

Hmmm. So I'm coming around. Do you need more than 10 months to train, and will extending it to close to two years away help or hinder your motivation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, truck said:

Me too - has always worked out up to now 😄 but this one is a bit hard to 'wing it'!  Everyone's different but I'd be looking to build to 8hr walk/hike/run days on both a Sat and Sun, lots and lots of hills with some technical stuff and getting used to multiple back to back run days on tired legs over at least 4-6months to be mentally prepared.  If I couldn't get to that point for 2021 I'd be deferring.  My longest trail run has been 53k's with 2200m of climbing/descending and I thought I was reasonably fit going into that but no way could I have backed up the next day.  And forget any thoughts on material bike riding during that time if you want to recover properly.

Definitely too hard to 'wing'.  What you're describing is really std ultra stuff ( except family wise, I tended to do a long Sat and half that on Sun). Back to back runs on tired legs is the norm. Sometimes I use the bike to put some extra tiredness in my legs whilst taking pressure off my back.

I think my longest training day (if we don't count races as training) was 47km and 2,600mtrs which took about 9hrs and the next day to the ParkRun did that and ran back for 13km.  Mostly though I tended to be 6hrs Sat, 3hrs Sun and some riding.

The difference that's not being considered is getting to the terrain. We can't travel that far, I have no idea when we can and I can't be away all the time on my own, or drag the family to Wales for endless weekend looking for something to do whilst I'm recce the mountains.

Next  year I'm committed to Newport marathon,  SDW100,  Fan Dance, Wendover Woods 50 and a few others.  We are also committed to 3 surfing holidays (assuming we are allowed).

Don't forget, this isn't Oz and this isn't regular trails. There is a relatively short window where these mountains can be accessed safely, either due to weather, light or both. To compress that into one already compromised season is too much really.

This is the difference between trail running and mountain running. I'm already a trail runner, I know how to train for 1000mtr  plus vert days, I do that on a very regular basis.  What I don't know is how to tackle rocky mountains quickly on back to back days.

This has to be a slow burn, otherwise it will fizzle out quickly. It may not happen at all if I can't deal with the above but a race that costs over £2k, I don't intend to go in anything other than armed with my best shot.

My other consideration is whether it will be safe to share a tent with 7others by Sept 2021, right now, I'd say not but who knows?

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dazaau said:

Hmmm. So I'm coming around. Do you need more than 10 months to train, and will extending it to close to two years away help or hinder your motivation. 

see above.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow as I've aged, I've become more reluctant to do those big events that you know are just going to hurt, without a decent preparation. 

I still like them, just not prepared to take the risks when younger.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2020 at 2:53 AM, FatPom said:

Holy shit, help me Jeebus!!

Good news, a place has become available in the Dragon’s Back Race 2021 and as you are top of the waiting list we have sent you an invitation to join the event.

 

I watched the YouTube of the Dragon's Back Race last night. Amazing scenery. Crazy hard race. Good luck with the training.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2020 at 1:08 AM, Ironnerd said:

I watched the YouTube of the Dragon's Back Race last night. Amazing scenery. Crazy hard race. Good luck with the training.

Thanks.  I'm having a change of heart and just thinking to get it done in 2021.  I'm getting sick of waiting for races. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...