Cranky Update

Cranky

Just wanted to keep you all in the loop....

Aero helmet - tick (Lazer Tardiz, but that's old news)

TT Bike - tick (Giant Trinity Composite W Liv)

PM - tick (Stages)

Head Unit - tick (Garmin Edge 520)

Bike Fit - tick (both on the S3 & the Liv - Mark Watts @ Cadence Cycling West End. Highly recommended. Very helpful)

Training sessions - ticking them off each day.

Night [emoji322]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's late for you to be posting

Did someone hack your account?

Nice to hear things are going well :-)

Cheers

Ivp

I had to go to swim club with the girls. Dazz was at home fitting the stages, so I had to play with it and the Garmin, when I got home, before I could go to bed!

Awake at 3:40am. Like a kid at Christmas! Don't need to start training till 4:30.

I think I'll need a nap today.

Wheels?

Be patient, my dear....

Why didnt you go the Avow? All the cool kids ride them.

I'm too cool to be cool

If I race like I did last week, it won't be long.

I thought there was something wrong.

Good to see you back on form today, burning hot :-)

Thnaks. Love a good hill climb.

I'll have a sook though. With $1000 on the line for fastest amateur, wasn't happy about being beaten by a professional triathlete and an elite rider than was originally entered in the 'invite only' category for licenced cyclists.

I'll have a sook though. With $1000 on the line for fastest amateur, wasn't happy about being beaten by a professional triathlete and an elite rider than was originally entered in the 'invite only' category for licenced cyclists.

Yes

I would be pissed also

How did that happen?

Cheers

Ivp

Should be concentrating on the bigger events cranky. Not these little events.

Should have done Geelong or HOTW.

Sufferest tri in VIC in March?!?

I disagree when they are lead up races, half distance the recovery is too costly and I think you lose more fitness than you gain. I think as training and lead up races that Olympic is as long as it needs to be

I disagree when they are lead up races, half distance the recovery is too costly and I think you lose more fitness than you gain. I think as training and lead up races that Olympic is as long as it needs to be

She want to go to Kona, not Sprint World Championships...

I'd agree and disagree. Race distances of up to half Ironman will all help... depending on how hard you race them and what you are aiming to get out of them.

Sprint & Olympic are great for training value, but a half is much better for long bricks and the testing of clothing & nutrition. This of course means nothing if you lose too much training time before and after the events tapering, travelling and recovering.

Just my thoughts.

That double sux - hope your query gets results - you could buy cranky a nice set of wheels with that :-)

Could Nicky Rolls really be considered Elite? She's Masters 3 and a full time Physio. Sure she's good, no doubt about that.

Clumsy choice of words perhaps. I thought the fact she is a graded rider and was entered in the 'PRO' category in the invite only race, would mean she is a bit above the normal age group status.

Training must be going well Ruley ? I thought those younger guys were going to get you at bribie today, but you just looked stronger the longer you ran.

Running training going solid, not running fast yet but it's on it's way.

Swimming just maintaining 10-12km week with a couple of soft squad sessions so semi fit but not race for.

Riding since taupo 70.3 in dec has consisted of 2 indoor moderate rides per week at 30-75mins. So bike is lacking big time.

Those guys should have smashed me but I guess I've just got bigger balls

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to keep you all in the loop....

Aero helmet - tick (Lazer Tardiz, but that's old news)

TT Bike - tick (Giant Trinity Composite W Liv)

PM - tick (Stages)

Head Unit - tick (Garmin Edge 520)

Bike Fit - tick (both on the S3 & the Liv - Mark Watts @ Cadence Cycling West End. Highly recommended. Very helpful)

Training sessions - ticking them off each day.

Night [emoji322]

FTP Test - tick

As a community announcement, I just wanted to warn everyone that school holidays occur in 4 weeks from today and Cranky will likely commence regular scheduling :smile1:

Aaahhhh

The life of a school teacher

Cheers

Ivp

FTP Test - tick

3.xx w/kg

Pretty solid result from what a little birdie told me.

What is amazing in this is that the stages worked for 20 mins for her to get a FTP result!!!!

Cheers

Ivp

Hey Cranky

Have you been trying out that little 'championship' swim set I suggested you add onto each of your swim sessions last month (4 x 100M: 50hard/50easy, 50easy/50hard, 100 all easy, 100 fast& timed)? If so, feed back?

Hey Cranky

Have you been trying out that little 'championship' swim set I suggested you add onto each of your swim sessions last month (4 x 100M: 50hard/50easy, 50easy/50hard, 100 all easy, 100 fast& timed)? If so, feed back?

What's so special about this set ?

What's so special about this set ?

There is a whole thread about 'training the swim' so I don't want to repeat what was said there but in a nutshell this set is designed for your body to adapt to swimming faster than the groove/rut of whatever pace you do your main set. The mechanics and 'feel' of swimming at different paces than the usual are themselves different & one thing triathletes lack is a proper range of swimming speeds. This set is really good value for money because it's done at the end of a session - a little after diner mint. It's a Vladswim special and very very effective in taking a swimmer to the next level - in Cranky's case towards being a sub 1:30/100M swimmer.

Hey Cranky

I haven't. My Saturday swim sessions are "get out and race to pick up Lily from Gumnut Guides".

My weekday sessions are "get out, race home, check the Po box on the way, make breakfast, lunches and off to school". I probably could try a little harder to organise myself and then I could get them done after my weekday swims.

But also not sure if it's my best bang for buck training time. I'm not going to win with a good swim, and I'd probably be appreciated more if I was at home for that time. ...

There is a whole thread about 'training the swim' so I don't want to repeat what was said there but in a nutshell this set is designed for your body to adapt to swimming faster than the groove/rut of whatever pace you do your main set. The mechanics and 'feel' of swimming at different paces than the usual are themselves different & one thing triathletes lack is a proper range of swimming speeds. This set is really good value for money because it's done at the end of a session - a little after diner mint. It's a Vladswim special and very very effective in taking a swimmer to the next level - in Cranky's case towards being a sub 1:30/100M swimmer.

I do 20x5o as fast as I can at the end of most sets

Sometimes this could be the 7th or tenth k , is that ok?

Sorry I havnt read the training the swim thread as 26 of my 27 IM have been all in the 58 to 61 minute no matter what swim trading I do

so I've come to the conclusion that swim sets are all pretty much the same

Cheers

Ivp

But also not sure if it's my best bang for buck training time. I'm not going to win with a good swim, and I'd probably be appreciated more if I was at home for that time. ...

Working parent that's time poor I'd concentrate on bike, run especially for Wetsuit IM.

I do 20x5o as fast as I can at the end of most sets

Sometimes this could be the 7th or tenth k , is that ok?

Sorry I havnt read the training the swim thread as 26 of my 27 IM have been all in the 58 to 61 minute no matter what swim trading I do

so I've come to the conclusion that swim sets are all pretty much the same

Cheers

Ivp

I'm not sure of your point. 7th or 10th k? Are you training for ironman or to swim the channel?

If you always swim between 58-61 minutes no matter what training you do, you are definitely a one speed swimmer. If your happy with that I'd suggest you do the bare minimum sim training that will allow you to get out of the water not feeling fatigued. If you want to get below 55 then you need to mix up your swim speeds. I'm pretty sure your 20x50s fast as for the 7th km doesn't count ...

I haven't. My Saturday swim sessions are "get out and race to pick up Lily from Gumnut Guides".

My weekday sessions are "get out, race home, check the Po box on the way, make breakfast, lunches and off to school". I probably could try a little harder to organise myself and then I could get them done after my weekday swims.

With tight time frames to work with that's more than fair enough.

That said, a good swim will set you up for a good bike.

Jason Shortis never won an ironman in the swim, but he lost about 30 of them in that leg ...

Archived