Trump is the President

1 hour ago, -- AJ -- said:

At the time who really cared?  Just a bunch of people trying to get some political milage out of it.

Weren’t you in Australia at the time AJ?

His vacation in Hawaii caused great anxiety here in Aus and he definitely wouldn’t have taken a holiday during the bushfires if he had his time again. 

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 1
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few posts of the last 24hrs have been deleted. I don't have time to go over the previous 96 pages.  If it's not adding value to the thread, discussing politics in a respectful manner towards th

If the last few months have taught me anything it’s that when you peel back the thin veneer the US is a mighty screwed up place on oh so many fronts.   

The sandbox is for non Tri related topics.  It’s not a place for people to carry on like idiots. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mike Del said:

His vacation in Hawaii caused great anxiety here in Aus and he definitely wouldn’t have taken a holiday during the bushfires if he had his time again. 

Further evidence that you can be outraged by anything if you try hard enough 

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Further evidence that you can be outraged by anything if you try hard enough 

Exactly. And not just a recent phenomenon.

You can go back 10 years to a younger up & coming MP being outraged at a police commissioner having dinner when there was a fire in her state.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mike Del said:

Yeah I was but I certainly didn't care whether he was here, there or someplace else.  Its not as if he was going to be hanging onto a hose actually fighting the fires.

Everything seemed to be as much under control as it could have been and realistically his presence here wasn't going to (and didn't) make any difference to the crisis.  

Just like the offices of one of my former employers.  When all the managers disappeared on a week long "planning" junket, the whole place ran much smoother and with less stress than normal.

To me, the main issue with Scomo being on holiday during the Bushfires, was that the Liberal Party didn't appear to put someone else front and centre in his absence.

It was like they were under orders that only Scomo front the press.  If the deputy Prime Minister had of stepped up and taken on the responsibility in Scomo's absence, I think it would have blown over a lot a quicker.  I saw it as a missed opportunity for the Library Party.

But on the other hand, I think still feeling the sting from the bushfire backlash, got him on the front foot very early in the Coronavirus Pandemic.  In hindsight he possibly could have acted earlier, but at the time I was extremely surprise (and impressed) that he was enforcing restrictions so early.

35 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Yeah I was but I certainly didn't care whether he was here, there or someplace else.  Its not as if he was going to be hanging onto a hose actually fighting the fires.

Yeah he’s no Tony Abbott 

• Like 1
Just now, Rob said:

To me, the main issue with Scomo being on holiday during the Bushfires, was that the Liberal Party didn't appear to put someone else front and centre in his absence.

It was like they were under orders that only Scomo front the press.  If the deputy Prime Minister had of stepped up and taken on the responsibility in Scomo's absence, I think it would have blown over a lot a quicker.  I saw it as a missed opportunity for the Library Party.

The Deputy Prime Minister is not from the Liberal Party. He is from the National Party.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

It was like they were under orders that only Scomo front the press. 

At the time this was a big issue in itself. Normally the Office of the PM release a statement saying the PM will be on leave from this date to that date, and so-in-so is in charge in his absence. But that didn’t happen in this case. When it was noted Scomo was missing, the press started asking questions regarding his absence. For 2 days his office denied he was on holiday at all and even claimed he was still in the country until the press found him in Hawaii. The rest is history. 
Despite claiming it was for security reasons ( 1st time ever) I suspect the main reasons they initially kept his holiday quiet was because
A ... Parliamentary rules state if  the PM is leaving the country he must name a acting PM.

And B ......there was a perception McCormack, the Dep PM and Nationals leader was underperforming and the Gov probably wasn’t keen to thrust him into the limelight. At the time McCormack’s was fighting off a leadership challenge, might have been from Barnaby. 

Edited by Mike Del
1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Um... you do realise that you just praised Tony Abbott, right?

I don't think anyone would say a bad thing about the work he did in overalls on the end of a hose during the fires.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Or really insulted Scomo.  Depends on your opinion of Abbott.  :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't think anyone would say a bad thing about the work he did in overalls on the end of a hose during the fires.

I'm guessing you don't spend a lot of time on Twitter 

On 05/06/2020 at 10:03 AM, -- AJ -- said:

Probably because the media will get more mileage out of the riot than the the virus.

People were switching off the news because it was always depressing news about the virus and the number of deaths.

Now they're switching on to watch the riots.

Me, I've given up watching the "news"

Its hard to believe this is the USA. 

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

Its hard to believe this is the USA. 

Can someone please explain what exactly happened there? I couldn’t work out what was going on with the black car that stopped 

On 18/06/2020 at 7:45 AM, IronJimbo said:

You know Tony's actually a pretty decent bloke - he's a cyclist, has completed at least one ironman  and does get out and fight fires (literally) and doesn't really beat his chest about it. I like him. However I wouldn't vote for him - he's just not the most intellectual of politicians and he is stuck in a bit of a time-warp bubble that echoes the Menzies era.  (and he should've chosen his chief of staff more wisely)

• Like 2

Yes, as a politician he's pretty terrible (unless being an attack dog, he was a great attack dog while deputy opposition leader); as a PM even worse.  I reckon I wouldn't agree with many of his personal views, but otherwise seems a stand up guy.  Isn't he a rhode scholar, so he should be intellectual.  But still he bit into a raw onion.

Yes, as it happen he "studied economics and law at the University of Sydney, and then attended The Queen's College, Oxford, as a Rhodes Scholar, studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics" so I suppose that means he IS an intellectual :) ... but despite that he never seemed comfortable on the economic front, preferring to go on (and on, and on... ) about border security instead. And yes, he did bite an onion... 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

So who still thinks Trump will get re-elected?

I've put hard cold cash he will.

I have faith in the dumb fark middle america will vote in strength for him.

Edited by Peter
16 minutes ago, Stikman said:

If there's one thing we know about 'Merica it's that they'll get out to riot way easier than they'll come out to vote.

I predict

if Trump loses he will claim the election is rigged and will take legal action so he doesn't have to leave.

If Trump win's he will say its because of Crooked Hilary that people voted for him.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I thought tony was a fantastic opposition leader. But failed as the Prime Minister

The thing the really rought Tony undone was he tried to conform to the polls. He should have just been a hard arse rather than try to appease those magical Polls which as we have seen in recent elections count for sh1te!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Peter said:

I've put hard cold cash he will.

I have faith in the dumb fark middle america will vote in strength for him.

Don't forget that your views and opinions are formed by your experience with our press who love nothing other than putting up stupid Trump foot-in-mouth moments. They are, after all, very entertaining!  But what if you only watched news that showed his good moments, ie tough, intelligent, compassionate etc. and espoused his successes...? Name one good thing Trump has done for the US? If you can't name one then you are probably the victim of media bias.  

I am not a Trump fan - not by any stretch of the imagination - Just saying our news is not their news and their opinions are not our opinions.   

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Don't forget that your views and opinions are formed by your experience with our press who love nothing other than putting up stupid Trump foot-in-mouth moments. They are, after all, very entertaining!  But what if you only watched news that showed his good moments, ie tough, intelligent, compassionate etc. and espoused his successes...? Name one good thing Trump has done for the US? If you can't name one then you are probably the victim of media bias.  

I am not a Trump fan - not by any stretch of the imagination - Just saying our news is not their news and their opinions are not our opinions.   

Media bias?

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/censorship/facebook-removes-trump-campaign-ads-for-violating-our-policy-against-organised-hate/news-story/fc9237c616a567f38399ff4793c63290

Kinda like this one-headline "Facebook removes Trump campaign ads for ‘violating our policy against organised hate" 

The article then goes on to say ""According to the Anti-Defamation League, the inverted triangle "is practically identical to that used by the Nazi regime to classify political prisoners in concentration camps”.

So basically making out as if the Trump campaign was somehow making hate ads and using nazi hate symbols..only at the end of the article do they explain the Trump ad was calling for an end to Antifa and the 'hate symbol' in question was actually Antifas symbol..

This takes the cake though for an example of media bias..

102414783_1678363468984164_4055279388065908172_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=9N27Sh-KfHcAX_eZzd_&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.fna&oh=606c137d59faa38649bc8e0b5a23d07f&oe=5F05710A

• Like 1
20 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

The thing the really rought Tony undone was he tried to conform to the polls. He should have just been a hard arse rather than try to appease those magical Polls which as we have seen in recent elections count for sh1te!

Abbott failed where Trump succeeds

The media had been at war wlth him since before he took over as opposition leader.  He should have called them out on their bullshit instead of believing that he could change their minds

Trump fights back, and the public's faith in the media has deservedly fallen 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Best CNN line ever “the president said 1,000,000 people asked for tickets.
I guess 990,000 canceled”. 

His Lardness of Orange isn't too bright,  Obviously struggles to count past 10 without taking his shoes and socks off so when he saw a 1 and lots of zeros and figured it meant 1 million.

Trump's pontificating to the masses saying they should conduct fewer tests so they'll have fewer covid cases.

Irresponsible idiot.

Bolton is correct. He's simply unfit for office.

• Like 1

The shear ego of the man. He's the equivalent of a tele-evangelist.

Attempting to hold a rally that could hold 19000 people. His Only priority is trying to get re-elected. " If some of you die, bad luck,and make sure your family doesn't sue me. The rest of you will vote for me regardless, ' cause Covid is 'fake news' anyway).

What's the average IQ of mid-west USA?

1 hour ago, -- AJ -- said:

His Lardness of Orange isn't too bright,  Obviously struggles to count past 10 without taking his shoes and socks off so when he saw a 1 and lots of zeros and figured it meant 1 million.

Apparently the teenagers of America all requested tickets with the full intentions of not attending. 

I just saw a reporter interviewing Trump supporters outside the venue. He asked some if they were worried about catching Covid and perhaps spreading it on to their families. One guy said if caught Covid and died his only regret would be he wouldn’t be able to vote for Trump at the upcoming election.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

His Only priority is trying to get re-elected.

Hard to slam Trump in that regard.  A vast majority of politicians (if not all) could well be accused of the same thing.

Edited by -- AJ --
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

If you don't think Trump is different, you haven't been paying much attention this week.

Nothing I've seen this week has changed my opinion.

I still think he's intelligent but an ill-informed, emotionally unstable fruitloop suffering from Nascissistic Personality Disorder. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Nothing I've seen this week has changed my opinion.

I still think he's intelligent but an ill-informed, emotionally unstable fruitloop suffering from Nascissistic Personality Disorder. 

My comment stands.

Jezzz. Note the guy that created the poll is a Biden supporter. Suggesting his followers are all democratics

56000 voted when I took this 

88% supporting trump. 

99A3B145-5882-4826-A821-59B4B9E0322E.jpeg

38 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Hard to slam Trump in that regard.  A vast majority of politicians (if not all) could well be accused of the same thing.

I don't object to his goal of attempting to be re-elected.

I object to his total disregard to public health in doing so.

With 5 month till the Election, now is NOT the time for mass gatherings. 

Why not ask every one of those " 1,000,000 people that registered for a ticket to his rally" to provide contact details and send them a 'personal'( generic) video message.

I'm sure the "masses" would feel just as #blessed as being there in person, and it might just save their dumb as %$# lives.

3 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

My comment stands.

I reckon if he starts to put his brain into gear before he speaks (or twits), he'll easily win this election because the electorate isn't sold on Biden.  

Having said that, Biden knows that all he has to do to win is stay calm and keep Trump rattled.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I don't object to his goal of attempting to be re-elected.

I object to his total disregard to public health in doing so.

With 5 month till the Election, now is NOT the time for mass gatherings. 

I agree totally.   Unfortunately, it seems that a certain percentage of the US population doesn't agree with either of us. 

But again, he's probably not the only politician guilty of disregarding public health in order to be re-elected.   It'll be interesting to see what happens during  the Qld state elections that are due later this year.   The Qld Premier has stood her ground keeping the borders shut. Now that Victoria has clamped down again due to an increase in cases,  will she hold her nerve and keep the borders shut past the original July 10 date to slow/prevent the virus from spreading north or will she pander to the vocal minority and open them up for the "political advantage".  

10 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

I reckon if he starts to put his brain into gear before he speaks (or twits),

Seriously? You really believe that's possible. He hasn't achieved that in the last four years. Do you believe he change in the next 4 months, especially under the current pressure.

Trump behaves predictably when he's losing, pressured or being criticised (and that's happening now more than ever). He lashes out, he's rash, ill considered in his responses.

he'll easily win this election because the electorate isn't sold on Biden. 

I'm assuming you haven't looked at how far Trump is trailing in the polls among surveys of registered voters. The gap is over 9 points and widening, based on an average of all poll results.

Trump's even criticised Fox News for the results of their polling and threatened legal action against CNN for releasing poll results.

He's trailing in all but one of the "key states", and badly among key demographics such as women and black voters.

The number of undecided voters this far from the election is abnormally small. There are relatively few people for Trump to impress and persuade. Trump has very limited scope to expand his base among registered voters.

In the US, it's the motivated citizens who turn out to vote. And there's a big motivation to oust Trump.

Biden is playing smart. Presenting a small target, making timely and judicious statements. Meanwhile, Trump is taking every opportunity to kick himself in the balls.

he'll easily win this election because the electorate isn't sold on Biden. 

36 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

I agree totally.   Unfortunately, it seems that a certain percentage of the US population doesn't agree with either of us. 

But again, he's probably not the only politician guilty of disregarding public health in order to be re-elected.   It'll be interesting to see what happens during  the Qld state elections that are due later this year.   The Qld Premier has stood her ground keeping the borders shut. Now that Victoria has clamped down again due to an increase in cases,  will she hold her nerve and keep the borders shut past the original July 10 date to slow/prevent the virus from spreading north or will she pander to the vocal minority and open them up for the "political advantage".  

I hope you're not suggesting some sort of equivalency, either politically, ethically or the potential to cost lives.