Trump is the President

2 minutes ago, more said:

And this is the most infuriating thing, why is it so hard to put up a normal, half decent person?? 

I assume that in the US the “moderate” people are t inclined to vote. Therefore you are left with those who appeal to the political junkies and fringe nutters. 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few posts of the last 24hrs have been deleted. I don't have time to go over the previous 96 pages.  If it's not adding value to the thread, discussing politics in a respectful manner towards th

The sandbox is for non Tri related topics.  It’s not a place for people to carry on like idiots. 

If the last few months have taught me anything it’s that when you peel back the thin veneer the US is a mighty screwed up place on oh so many fronts.   

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Well its been A fun 4 plus years.  

its been the best reality TV show for 4 seasons.  

guessing there is gunna be a 5th. 

That’s the end of this series of 

Orange is the new Barrack :lol:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Bored@work said:

Respect. Thank you. 

No matter who won the dogs at the RSPCA were always going to win. 

Indeed

Lucky for them I didn't say double or nothing  😉

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

True

Unfortunately Biden managed to get even more hate-filled yanks to vote than ever before

Mate. Get over yourself.

I haven't seen ANY "hate-filled yanks" on multiple media coverages of the day, both here and from the US.

What I have seen is a multitude of examples of people embracing a new, inclusive and positive era ahead.

Sure, the media have predominantly shown the reaction of those that voted for Biden. But those reactions are of "joy", "relief " and "happiness ". People crying about the fact that the "dictator" has been deposed. The other day I posted two photos: Trump and Lukashenko. At least in a true democracy like the US, the people actually do have the ultimate decree. 

To their credit, the media has predominantly  NOT shown gun-toting , lunatic fringe conspiracy theorists decrying the world is going to end because their election has been " stolen ". 

Seriously,  every election is going to have 0.0001% of the population that tries to do something dodgy. This one is no different. If Trump thinks he can ultimately get the Supreme  Court to overturn the result in potentially up to 5 States by throwing $$$$$$ into a legal battle he's even more delusional than I thought he was. ( And you can probably tell from all my contributions that I think he's pretty  delusional 😁)

Game over.

Edited by Dave T
Spelling
  • Like 2

It's so sad that the left has won and life as we know it will be dictated by the politically correct, woke, rich, old white men. Green and greedy.

Hunter Biden, the apple never falls far from the tree.

Edited by oldave
addition
10 hours ago, oldave said:

It's so sad that the left has won and life as we know it will be dictated by the politically correct, woke, rich, old white men. Green and greedy.

Hunter Biden, the apple never falls far from the tree.

See here is exactly what IJ is talking about. Only the "Right" can hate the "right" way. 😆😆😆

Edited by Dave T
Brain fade.
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Mate. Get over yourself.

I haven't seen ANY "hate-filled yanks" on multiple media coverages of the day, both here and from the US.

Where have you been for the past four years?

Did you miss the same media you now praise decrying the 2016 election as stolen?

Edited by IronJimbo

The media are happy to promote lies so long as they are the lies they want told. For example this exert from an article just today from Jennifer Lawrence which is blatantly false but gets retold and reinforced until people believe it true. 

“This is an impeached president whose broken many laws and has refused to condemn white supremacy, and it feels like there has been a line drawn in the sand,” she said in a recent interview. “I don’t want to support a president who supports white supremacists.”

I have seen a YouTube clip of Trump flat out denouncing and condemning white supremacists on about 30 separate occasions... 

It's just not good enough. Irrespective of whether they hate Trump we deserve truth and honesty in reporting. You don't get to lie just because someone is a douche bag... 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, more said:

The media are happy to promote lies so long as they are the lies they want told. For example this exert from an article just today from Jennifer Lawrence which is blatantly false but gets retold and reinforced until people believe it true. 

“This is an impeached president whose broken many laws and has refused to condemn white supremacy, and it feels like there has been a line drawn in the sand,” she said in a recent interview. “I don’t want to support a president who supports white supremacists.”

I have seen a YouTube clip of Trump flat out denouncing and condemning white supremacists on about 30 separate occasions... 

It's just not good enough. Irrespective of whether they hate Trump we deserve truth and honesty in reporting. You don't get to lie just because someone is a douche bag... 

you need to start a whole new thread if you want to discuss how shit the media are and maaybe keep it out of here.  

I think the current crop of journalists are so shit. They do next to no research and as you gave the example of above, want click bait celebrity stories that are rarely even 50% fact. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Peter said:

you need to start a whole new thread if you want to discuss how shit the media are and maaybe keep it out of here.  

I think the current crop of journalists are so shit. They do next to no research and as you gave the example of above, want click bait celebrity stories that are rarely even 50% fact. 

My comment is very relevant to Trump and the election. They were/are happy to publish any lie about him. This all influences the outcome. Heck how many hundreds of stories were there throughout the last 4 years from 'un named sources'. 

When you have the media openly lieing to influence elections and positions of power we have huge problems... 

9 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Not even in office and some how he's being held to account for not getting things done!!

I really can't can't stand the extreme ends of politics. From the extreme right to the perpetually outraged of the left. They both bore me with equal disdain.

However, a fall back of the left in this debate (particularly on ST) has been to throw out the 'whataboutism' label at anyone that brings up a counterpoint, in the same way a 4yr old child throws around glitter at a craft party.

It will be very interesting to see if they can show some restraint and not fall into the same trap when defending Biden about what he has or hasn't done at a particular point in his tenure.

All the ailments of the US didn't start when Trump took office. He hasn't done a lot IMO, to make them better but he didn't inherit a utopian America from Obama. If that was the case,  Clinton would have won.

The same screaming noise that the Reps have been on the end of from the Dems, will now be directed back at them (justified or not).  I will be interested to see how the party of 'tolerance' will deal with this.

The Reps need to give Biden a chance to build some bridges, especially with his internal agencies and they need to be part of that conversation in the Senate. Otherwise Biden will be very ineffective because he won't be allowed to do anything.

The left have their man in now, so let's see if they really are interested in progress, or just want to carry on accusing everything and everyone that doesn't step in line of being a racist, Nazi or whatever the fcuk they are upset about today.

The right need to realise, the previous hard line of 'fcuk you all, I'm doing it my way 'Murica' just doesn't work.  You need people on your side, you need to able to conduct bipartisan talks and negotiations. It failed when you were in power and sure a shit will fail when you are out of it. Your man damaged the reputation of the US to a level not seen for decades (maybe ever), put your big boy pants and help the healing.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, FatPom said:

I really can't can't stand the extreme ends of politics. From the extreme right to the perpetually outraged of the left. They both bore me with equal disdain.

However, a fall back of the left in this debate (particularly on ST) has been to throw out the 'whataboutism' label at anyone that brings up a counterpoint, in the same way a 4yr old child throws around glitter at a craft party.

It will be very interesting to see if they can show some restraint and not fall into the same trap when defending Biden about what he has or hasn't done at a particular point in his tenure.

All the ailments of the US didn't start when Trump took office. He hasn't done a lot IMO, to make them better but he didn't inherit a utopian America from Obama. If that was the case,  Clinton would have won.

The same screaming noise that the Reps have been on the end of from the Dems, will now be directed back at them (justified or not).  I will be interested to see how the party of 'tolerance' will deal with this.

The Reps need to give Biden a chance to build some bridges, especially with his internal agencies and they need to be part of that conversation in the Senate. Otherwise Biden will be very ineffective because he won't be allowed to do anything.

The left have their man in now, so let's see if they really are interested in progress, or just want to carry on accusing everything and everyone that doesn't step in line of being a racist, Nazi or whatever the fcuk they are upset about today.

The right need to realise, the previous hard line of 'fcuk you all, I'm doing it my way 'Murica' just doesn't work.  You need people on your side, you need to able to conduct bipartisan talks and negotiations. It failed when you were in power and sure a shit will fail when you are out of it. Your man damaged the reputation of the US to a level not seen for decades (maybe ever), put your big boy pants and help the healing.

Think it would be okay for the guy to actually be the president before we start measuring and even whatbouting, which had already started on here.

Whatboutisim is  not exactly new, https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/whataboutism-origin-meaning Politicians of all leanings and their supporters use it all the time.

I don't think it's a case of whataboutism to say they guy is not president so its maybe okay to wait until he is to judge him for what he dose as President. Whereas we should judge Trump for what he actually did and how he behaved .

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

Agree politics should focus on working  with all branches of government to repair and deliver.

• Like 1

One thing I've never understood-they are now halting all works in the wall between Mexico. But what is the problem with wanting security of your borders, particularly one shared with a country that is a major supplier of drugs? What am I missing? Or do people feel it's just a waste of money as people will always find a way? 

9 hours ago, more said:

When you have the media openly lieing to influence elections and positions of power we have huge problems... 

And when the President does it you have a bigger issue. 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

Yes absolutely, but I don't know maybe I'm just naive, I've always approached everything that comes out of a politicians mouth as a lie, but I depend on the media to be responsible, expose the lies and present the truth 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, roxii said:

We do, K Rudd has a petition for those who want to help

6 minutes ago, more said:

Yes absolutely, but I don't know maybe I'm just naive, I've always approached everything that comes out of a politicians mouth as a lie, but I depend on the media to be responsible, expose the lies and present the truth 

Yeah sure politicians lying or being evasive is a given but when The President is being intentionally inflammatory, ignoring health advice to the detriment of his own countrymen and generally just making shit up thats next level. 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

Yeah sure politicians lying or being evasive is a given but when The President is being intentionally inflammatory, ignoring health advice to the detriment of his own countrymen and generally just making shit up thats next level. 

And two wrongs don't make a right.. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The petition is now closed, but it has over 500,000 signatures 

11 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Ahh yes Kevin Rudd the bastion of honesty. Is his petition for all media or just Murdoch? 

• Like 1

Looks like it is Murdoch

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/nov/03/kevin-rudd-petition-seeking-royal-commission-into-murdoch-media-nears-500000-signatures

Think they are close to 63 % of news paper, anyhow suppose Rudd is taking issue with them, not the others who I assume he is not taking issue with.

People are free to launch a petition about non Murdoch papers

Edited by BarryBevan
39 minutes ago, more said:

And two wrongs don't make a right.. 

Of course they don't,  but surely the lead should come from "the most powerful man on the planet" not a journalist. 

Edit:  And I suppose that will be why he will never been seen in retrospect as a great leader. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, roxii said:

Of course they don't,  but surely the lead should come from "the most powerful man on the planet" not a journalist. 

I agree, but unfortunately it's a given politicians lie. I could easily google a list as long as you arm for any politician of any political persuasion you could throw at me. 

The media should be the impartial adjudicator, presenting facts, keeping the bastards honest and letting the public form their own opinions. 

When you get the flow of media so heavily controlled, influenced and distorted as we are now it's not really much better than Nth Korea.. 

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Looks like it is Murdoch

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/nov/03/kevin-rudd-petition-seeking-royal-commission-into-murdoch-media-nears-500000-signatures

Think they are close to 63 % of news paper, anyhow suppose Rudd is taking issue with them, not the others who I assume he is not taking issue with.

Exactly the point I've been making. People are happy to turn a blind eye to lies or injustice so long as the are lies in their favour.

What a joke, if he had a shred of integrity it would be all media, not just ones he feels don't push his political agenda.. 

Edited by more
1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Looks like it is Murdoch

They are also free to not buy Murdoch papers

17 minutes ago, more said:

Exactly the point I've been making. People are happy to turn a blind eye to lies or injustice so long as the are lies in their favour.

What a joke, if he had a shred of integrity it would be all media, not just ones he feels don't push his political agenda.. 

He perhaps would have made a better case had he included all media. Irrespective of individual viewpoints, the media, print, social (TV seems to be an attempt at entertainment) don't do a great deal of reporting facts, analysis and assessment.

Some of them do report facts and and these tend, though not all the time to be more centre, though people here would say left.

Example 1

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/joe-biden-president-elect-donald-trump-concede-republicans-democrats-aoc-ocasio-cortez

Example 2

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6208106913001

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

He perhaps would have made a better case had he included all media. Irrespective of individual viewpoints, the media, print, social (TV seems to be an attempt at entertainment) don't do a great deal of reporting facts, analysis and assessment.

Some of them do report facts and and these tend, though not all the time to be more centre, though people here would say left.

Example 1

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/joe-biden-president-elect-donald-trump-concede-republicans-democrats-aoc-ocasio-cortez

Example 2

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6208106913001

Look, It's Kevin Rudd. It's mostly about settling old scores. 

• Like 1

The petition is not so much about bias one way or the other, it's about concentration of ownership which enables manipulation and abuse of power

10 minutes ago, -H- said:

The petition is not so much about bias one way or the other, it's about concentration of ownership which enables manipulation and abuse of power

Well then his first port of call should have been Facebook and Twitter... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, -H- said:

1 hour ago, more said:

Well then his first port of call should have been Facebook and Twitter... 

absolutely should have been Facebook. 

Nothing stopping you guys from starting a petition about social media if you want to, this one was started by Rudd and is about the ownership of news media in Australia

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, -H- said:

Nothing stopping you guys from starting a petition about social media if you want to, this one was started by Rudd and is about the ownership of news media in Australia

Lol no offence but that sounds like the rubbish I read in response to people criticising Facebook or Twitter... 'well there is nothing stopping you creating a competing social media platform... Blah blah blah..' 

3 hours ago, Mike Del said:

In his book, Tony Abbott wrote that it’s necessary to tell lies when you are a politician. If you have a spare $2:95 you can see so for yourself. 

7134FF30-BCE4-4989-8230-C916F08C842D.jpeg

About the same price as onions. Coincidence??? 

• Haha 2